Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

Shed on tour

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by Shed on tour » Fri May 04, 2018 12:19 pm

charlton837 wrote:Today George Burley, with Terry Butcher as his assistant, has thrown his hat into the ring. At first I thought no way but after reading the interview with EADT I like a lot of what he says. I think he is someone who is good at youth development however I cant help but think his time has passed and we need something new, not something old.

I think we need the "next George Burley" if possible, someone who thinks the way he does but is younger, hungry for success and who perhaps hasn't been there and done it. Burley clearly loves the club, but having a fan run it doesn't always work and hes been out of management for a long time.

I wouldn't be against him having a role at the club, but for me I don't think id want that role to be manager anymore.
A big no from me.
As you say he has been out of management for a long time and if we did appoint him my question to Evans would be, in your recent interview you said we were going to try something different, so is this it?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 04, 2018 12:27 pm

No old players thanks, especially Butcher who talks sh*te, the same Butcher who said Joe Garner was a crap signing.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 04, 2018 12:28 pm

A big no from me also.

Their time has passed. Need a young ambitious manager.

Hate to say it, but Burley / Butcher probably need a full time job and if wasn’t for their past connections to Town, would never seriously be considered. Once the nostalgic honeymoon period is over we’re left with two over the hill managers who will destroy their own legacy here.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Burley formerly applies for Town job - and has Butcher lined up as his assistant ( according to EADT) , and TWTD

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/429712/bur ... own-job/#0

TBH I wouldn’t want to be in Evans shoes this month. What a task he has of “ getting it right”!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Disregarding applicants like this should be pretty simple.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 04, 2018 3:03 pm

Can see why George is a possible candidate, he obviously did well here for a time and is respected both as an ex-player and manager, but the chances he could come back would appear slim at best. Near 20 years since last involved at the club and there's no way he could hope to replicate anything near the success of once before. Possibly an idea that some can entertain, but would expect any new appointment to possess no prior direct involvement in any capacity within the club set-up.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri May 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Don’t believe GB would have submitted a formal interest in the job without some tacit encouragement from ME. Whether he becomes a serious contender - possibly as a short-ish term appointment - would depend upon who else makes it on to the shortlist. Something unlikely to be finalised until all relegation/promotion issues are sorted.

Can’t fault ME for taking his time, and trying to get as wide a field as possible. But just as Rangers will find out, any appointment carries big risks, particularly being required to operate on a very modest budget, whilst trying to unify the gap between club and supporters.

Knowing how critical it s for ME to get his decision right, and depending who either wants the job, or ME believes would be able to tick all of his key boxes, it might be that GB emerges as the least riskiest option available. Unlikely perhaps, but not out of the question once all the dice have been rolled.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Steven Gerrard, new The Rangers boss.
The Rangers spokesperson today:
"We were looking for someone with previous experience of stopping Brendan Rodgers winning the league."

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 04, 2018 5:28 pm

I'm seeing things differently because I believe George Burley has a less than zero chance of landing the job.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat May 05, 2018 10:14 am

No Burley or any ex players from our past please. What about Arsene Wenger? :shock:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 05, 2018 10:27 am

I’m reading on TWTD a lot of people interested in Burley as a possible new manager.

I get that there will be an instant connect with the club as manager.... but we can’t keep on hankering back to past glories and nostalgia. Burley and Butcher have had their chances and they’ve pretty much used up their chances. Just look at their most recent managerial records.
I’ll never understand why people automatically assume a past connection with the club will sprinkle magic dust on the team.

I don’t mind former players being involved with the club in some capacity, but in this case we need to go forward with our eyes open and not go backwards hoping that these former managers can shake of the cobwebs and find their magic again.

I’m with Mike in that I truly think Evans won’t even genuinely consider Burley. Whatever anyone thinks of Evans, he’s no mug.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 05, 2018 10:58 am

I mean look at Butcher at Newport FFS, what a disaster this would be.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:02 am

Tayport would reject Butcher.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 05, 2018 11:06 am

Cowdenbeath even and they are stuck with that wanker Bollan.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:15 am

marko69 wrote:Steven Gerrard, new The Rangers boss.
The Rangers spokesperson today:
"We were looking for someone with previous experience of stopping Brendan Rodgers winning the league."
Did this go over everyone’s head yesterday? I choked on my coffee reading that joke! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 am

No I did get it, I take it meant the slip by Gerrard that cost Liverpool the Prem title ? :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:21 am

:lol: Could only have been a Celtic fan who made that one up! That you Saint?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:58 pm

MASSIVE game for Paul Hurst this coming Thursday. First leg away v Charlton. That’s a huge test.

I don’t know enough about the Shrewsbury Town team but I wonder, with 3rd place assured, if he played a weakened team in today’s MK defeat at home. No doubt he did.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:00 pm

And so far.....,

Stoke City
WBA
Wigan
Blackburn

..... all in the championship next season. Are the title winners in amongst that lot?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 06, 2018 12:58 am

Not in those club sides. Mind you had Sunderland down as league winners and finished in end position so everything's shot to sh*t.

Next season is next season, there are still issues to be determined but obviously one of the relegated teams from the EPL should be a favorite to re-join the elite at first attempt. One last mention on the Gerrard issue, can understand there will be an element of expectation at Ibrox for his imminent tenure coming up, but to suggest this appointment can prevent Celtic from winning the league is not above absurd. More in hope than expectation for sure.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:02 am

The now defunct Rangers Football Club, liquidated a few years ago, were (in old Rangers fans eyes) resurrected. Yeah right.
But regardless of that, The New Sevco Rangers obviously haven’t learned their lessons from the past. Stevie G? He’s not going to be cheap. Hopefully they fold like the previous RFC.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 06, 2018 8:24 am

marko69 wrote:And so far.....,

Stoke City
WBA
Wigan
Blackburn

..... all in the championship next season. Are the title winners in amongst that lot?
I can see Swansea joining that list. The wheels have seriously come off there. Southampton must have felt they were nearly safe, before that last gasp Everton equaliser. Massive game on Tuesday.

I hope Burton can win today .... 3 wins on the bounce when they really had no chance of survival.... it would be an amazing relegation escape if they survived. I’ll have one eye on the relegation battle as well as the Town game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 06, 2018 8:40 am

I hope Burton stay up too, it's a great away day in a proper old style standing stadium, already lost my weekender to Sunderland which was fab this season so don't want to lose Burton too. I would love to see Birmingham & Bolton go down, two depressing away days in the past.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 06, 2018 8:55 am

tangfastic wrote:I’m reading on TWTD a lot of people interested in Burley as a possible new manager.

I get that there will be an instant connect with the club as manager.... but we can’t keep on hankering back to past glories and nostalgia. Burley and Butcher have had their chances and they’ve pretty much used up their chances. Just look at their most recent managerial records.
I’ll never understand why people automatically assume a past connection with the club will sprinkle magic dust on the team.

I don’t mind former players being involved with the club in some capacity, but in this case we need to go forward with our eyes open and not go backwards hoping that these former managers can shake of the cobwebs and find their magic again.

I’m with Mike in that I truly think Evans won’t even genuinely consider Burley. Whatever anyone thinks of Evans, he’s no mug.
I suppose that's why he made such illustrious appointments as Keane and Jewell? ;)

Let's face it - he's hardly got a very good record of making managerial appointments.
I will not hold my breath.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sun May 06, 2018 9:17 am

As fans we spend our hard earned cash to cheer on the side we love, we all have opinions of who to start and who to drop ect...We are fans after all......

People forget that George Burley is also a fan...........The difference being that he is a fan with coaching experience at this and higher levels than most of us. He is more than just an ex player coming back......He will as passionate in the hot seat as he is in the stands....

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun May 06, 2018 9:36 am

Burley would not have thrown his hat into the ring, and go public on it, without some incentive to do so. From his earlier comments I suspect that Brian Klug has had a part to play. He’s close to GB, and has been speaking regularly with ME. It would be naive to assume the next manager’s job hasn’t been discussed, and an indication given that GB would be given serious consideration, should he chose to apply.

Once ME has his shortlist of serious contenders, GB may well be ruled out. But that depends on the quality, experience and availability of other potential candidates, and how ME assesses the risk v reward equation.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 am

In my opinion George Burley and or Terry Butcher would be a bloody disaster for this football club. We don’t need ex players or fans to run the club. Burley f*cked up last time he was here and has done the same everywhere he’s been since, as far as management is concerned the guy is a “has been” and is best remembered for the good times he one had here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 06, 2018 10:23 am

I agree Charny, the bloke can hardly bloody walk these days let alone manage a club. For months people have craved change and yet want same old same old again. Not for me and it won't happen anyway.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 06, 2018 10:32 am

well having had the time this weekend to seriously consider all possible candidates, I'm gonna throw my hat at Frank Lampard - with or without a mentor.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun May 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:I agree Charny, the bloke can hardly bloody walk these days let alone manage a club. For months people have craved change and yet want same old same old again. Not for me and it won't happen anyway.
I agree with your comments about not wanting Burley as manager, Mike. Am I being thick though in thinking that one has to be able to walk properly to make a good manager? :roll: That could make ME's interviews very interesting.