Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

Tricky

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by Tricky » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:14 am

Frosty wrote:Once we have enough suggestions we will insert a poll for people.

..... and if anyone says Darren Lehmann I am locking the Thread

POLL ADDED - 3 SELECTIONS ALLOWED
Steve Clarke for me. If we need a manager who is ambitious and wants to take a club somewhere for the long haul, then Clarke is our man. Whoever comes in must be a manager who tries to win football matches rather than try not to lose them. I am just happy that MM has gone and wil be quickly forgotten my many.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:46 am

Tricky wrote:

Steve Clarke for me. If we need a manager who is ambitious and wants to take a club somewhere for the long haul, then Clarke is our man. Whoever comes in must be a manager who tries to win football matches rather than try not to lose them. I am just happy that MM has gone and wil be quickly forgotten my many.
Why would Steve Clarke come to Ipswich Town, are you having a laugh.
I live in Scotland and there is no way he will go to Portman Road, more likely Ibrox !

As a manager Clarke has achieved nowt compared to MM ?

What was once an attractive job for many managers might not be anymore ?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 am

Valleyroad 7 year itch :wink: lasttime you posted was about paul jewell giving him a chance.
Still in Scotland you should meet up with Marko.
As for MM last 3 seasons have been dire, even last night was the same we were lucky to win nicked a goal then hang on by the finger nails.

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:01 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Tricky wrote:

Why would Steve Clarke come to Ipswich Town, are you having a laugh.
I live in Scotland and there is no way he will go to Portman Road, more likely Ibrox !

As a manager Clarke has achieved nowt compared to MM ?
Never said he would come here, said out of that list, he would be my first choice. MM achieved nowt as Ipswich manager and that is all that matters to me. I do not care if somebody has failed at another club, as long as they are the right man for the job. Many managers have failed at one club, yet been successful elsewhere. I think Clarke would be a great fit for Ipswich.
Last edited by Tricky on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:Valleyroad 7 year itch :wink: lasttime you posted was about paul jewell giving him a chance.
As for MM last 3 seasons have been dire, even last night was the same we were lucky to win nicked a goal then hang on by the finger nails.
You learn a lot in 7 years :D

I also agree that its the right decision for MM to go as I don't think he could achieve any more with the level of investment.

Be interesting to see who takes it.

Evans has always went for a manager who has won promotion from the Championship and knows how to do it.
Maybe he needs to take a chance on someone of a different ilk and gamble.
Bit like Huddersfield did with Wagner etc

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:11 pm

valleyroad wrote:
BLUEBLOOD wrote:Valleyroad 7 year itch :wink: lasttime you posted was about paul jewell giving him a chance.

I also agree that its the right decision for MM to go as I don't think he could achieve any more with the level of investment.

Evans has always went for a manager who has won promotion from the Championship and knows how to do it.
That is what I hope for if Clarke isn't a realistic target.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Last night wasn't the same, we actually played some decent stuff and deserved to win, in my opinion anyway.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Tricky wrote:
valleyroad wrote:

That is what I hope for if Clarke isn't a realistic target.
If your looking to Scotland then Jack Ross at St Mirren is your man. St Mirren is my team up here. He is a top talent. Best manager at St Mirren since Fergie.
The level of investment in the club at Ipswich would need to be way higher and be competitive for Jack to look at it !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Clarke or Ross....., (none will ever happen) but it’d be Clarke for me. But that’s only because I’ve witnessed the way they’re playing this season. Didn’t get to any St Mirren matches when the Cabbage were in the championship. There is no doubt Ross is doing a good job, (apart from last night) but absolutely no for the English championship at this moment in time. Robbie Neilson pi$$ed the Scottish Championship witn the Jambos then failed miserably at the MK Dons. The gulf is plain to see.

I’d be interested in Alex Neil @ PR. But ex parrot, might not be everyone’s choice.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Odds slashed on Paul Hurst, now 6/1 second fav from 25/1. Please let this happen

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:44 pm

marko69 wrote:Clarke or Ross....., (none will ever happen) but it’d be Clarke for me. But that’s only because I’ve witnessed the way they’re playing this season. Didn’t get to any St Mirren matches when the Cabbage were in the championship. There is no doubt Ross is doing a good job, (apart from last night) but absolutely no for the English championship at this moment in time. Robbie Neilson pi$$ed the Scottish Championship witn the Jambos then failed miserably at the MK Dons. The gulf is plain to see.

I’d be interested in Alex Neil @ PR. But ex parrot, might not be everyone’s choice.

:shock: :shock: No No No

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:Odds slashed on Paul Hurst, now 6/1 second fav from 25/1. Please let this happen
:D :D I think your about right BM

:roll: But watch out if Klug & Williams do a good job in the last few matches, :wink: :wink:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:Odds slashed on Paul Hurst, now 6/1 second fav from 25/1. Please let this happen
That’s a big jump. Hopefully, there’s something in this.

McClarens not going quite away though - 10/1.

I don’t think yet the bookies have a real idea yet.... but they do tend at some stage to have that inside info earlier than most.

Anyone we get will be a risk .... but a manager like Hurst has earnt the right to step up a level to have a go ... whether he succeeds or fails.

verulam

Post by verulam » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:14 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
:D :D I think your about right BM

:roll: But watch out if Klug & Williams do a good job in the last few matches, :wink: :wink:
So pleased to see Klug and Williams given the opportunity to handle the final four games. They could indeed be the surprise contenders!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Klug has already said not interested in it full time.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:36 am

Damn contenders list changes from one hour to the next. Appears each new day you got a new favorite and feel prepared to simply no longer focus until an actual name has been appointed.

This Hurst name that features a lot, I know zero about the individual. Appears he has done a commendable job at Shrewsbury or somewhere, people are of course entitled to their opinion and potential choices, but only got a feeling near skepticism towards the name. Point being, doing a job for a lower league team is one thing, but asking to move up to Championship level and repeat a similar feat is entirely different and maybe this Hurst isn't yet equipped to undertake such responsibilities.

People seem to get excited or cream their pants over suggested names from the lower reaches of the football leagues, and while no offense to the feats they have done at their respective clubs, got to emphasize again the doubts (that they) could be replicated at a considerably higher level.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:16 am

saint jude wrote:Damn contenders list changes from one hour to the next. Appears each new day you got a new favorite and feel prepared to simply no longer focus until an actual name has been appointed.

This Hurst name that features a lot, I know zero about the individual. Appears he has done a commendable job at Shrewsbury or somewhere, people are of course entitled to their opinion and potential choices, but only got a feeling near skepticism towards the name. Point being, doing a job for a lower league team is one thing, but asking to move up to Championship level and repeat a similar feat is entirely different and maybe this Hurst isn't yet equipped to undertake such responsibilities.

People seem to get excited or cream their pants over suggested names from the lower reaches of the football leagues, and while no offense to the feats they have done at their respective clubs, got to emphasize again the doubts (that they) could be replicated at a considerably higher level.
Will wonders ever cease? Understood every word ^^^^^^ and tend to agree.

Ipswich Town FC are no doubt whatsoever, a club of stature. And they need a “proven” name in my opinion. A guy who’s had “positive” experience of Championship football. I’m all for lower league guys going up the ladder in their careers....., I’d prefer ITFC NOT being used as a potential banana skin career move.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 am

marko69 wrote:
saint jude wrote:Damn contenders list changes from one hour to the next. Appears each new day you got a new favorite and feel prepared to simply no longer focus until an actual name has been appointed.

Ipswich Town FC are no doubt whatsoever, a club of stature. And they need a “proven” name in my opinion. A guy who’s had “positive” experience of Championship football. I’m all for lower league guys going up the ladder in their careers....., I’d prefer ITFC NOT being used as a potential banana skin career move.

I’m with you boys here 100%. The Championship is one of the most highly competitive leagues in football across Europe and we’ll do well to find a more experienced manager than the one we’ve just hounded out. If we get it wrong with his replacement our decline may well continue especially if the new man is expected to manage on a shoestring like McCarthy was. This is definitely not the time to experiment with an inexperienced manager who may well find our current squad a difficult bunch to manage. Take the loanees out and it will be a pretty thin squad too.
Experienced Manager urgently required preferably with proven success in The Championship.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 am

marko69 wrote:

Roy Keane and Paul Jewell we’re proven names .... everyone’s a gamble and a potential banana skin.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:43 am

Take a look at the top 6. Warnock and Cardiff aside none of them have one of the merry go round championship managers. In their own ways all a bit of a risk.

I'm happy to take my chances on a lower league manager, I like what Dean Smith is doing at Brentford on a not so different budget to us. It can work. It's the unknown that makes football exciting, going for someone stable and known is a bore. In my opinion we need to take a calculated gamble, more than that we need to create a new identity for ITFC

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 am

As has already been said any appointment is a gamble.
For me I much sooner see the club appoint a young manager than go down this proven championship name route which will probably mean we end up with somebody like Pardew or McClaren in charge.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 am

Its ludicrous to want another proven manager seeing as we had the best there is already here !!! If thats the case we all need a bloody good kick up the arse. We wanted change right, so let's change it, the gamble has already been made when we hounded Mick out. Be careful what you wish for. Hurst for me all day long.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:51 am

It’s all wind & pish until the owner is out the door. It’s a money game and he doesn’t offer any. Any manager, proven or not will no doubt stumble upon a formula due to the limited funds. What is certain is what someone else has already said here ....., a proven guy with Mevans’ wallet has just walked.

But he slagged off the numbskulls who couldn’t take a sip of their own medicine!!? So he just HAD to go, didn’t he?

This is a subject that is a proper debate because no one will ever agree on who the new guy should be.

Get out of Ipswich Town FC, Mevans.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm

the club have announced that no appointment will be made before the seasons end...........Perhaps Marcus is in discussions with potential new owners......... :shock: :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Or he is waiting to see who goes up or down, cook, Hurst, Mowbray, Jones, Cowley, Clough all fall in that bracket, hopefully it rules out Pardew and McLaren who are available now

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:50 pm

marko69 wrote:

First reply on the subject matter that I can concur with.. Hits the nail on the head without exaggeration
or wishful thinking..

Of course it does not solve the problem(s) that ITFC have.. As per usual we will all speculate on hearsay
say until such time that an appointment is made, then there will be the period of wishful thinking, followed
shortly by reality (whatever that is nowadays).. I have no clue what the future has install for the club
and neither does anyone else, I just hope it can bring better fortune than we have had over the past
decade..

:?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:28 pm

tangfastic wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Roy Keane and Paul Jewell we’re proven names .... everyone’s a gamble and a potential banana skin.

Roy Keane had only two years managerial experience and a suspect harsh style, whilst Paul Jewell had been three years out of work after three successive sackings both in my opinion were poor appointments not thought through.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
marko69 wrote:

I’m with you boys here 100%. The Championship is one of the most highly competitive leagues in football across Europe and we’ll do well to find a more experienced manager than the one we’ve just hounded out. If we get it wrong with his replacement our decline may well continue especially if the new man is expected to manage on a shoestring like McCarthy was. This is definitely not the time to experiment with an inexperienced manager who may well find our current squad a difficult bunch to manage. Take the loanees out and it will be a pretty thin squad too.
Experienced Manager urgently required preferably with proven success in The Championship.
What proven manager would want to come here with ME's budget?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:53 pm

charlton837 wrote:Take a look at the top 6. Warnock and Cardiff aside none of them have one of the merry go round championship managers. In their own ways all a bit of a risk.

I'm happy to take my chances on a lower league manager, I like what Dean Smith is doing at Brentford on a not so different budget to us. It can work. It's the unknown that makes football exciting, going for someone stable and known is a bore. In my opinion we need to take a calculated gamble, more than that we need to create a new identity for ITFC

Take a look at the top 5 and you’ll find 5 successful managers with proven experience at Championship level or higher, not one of these was a risky appointment. At 6th place Millwall they have a “Mr Millwall” in Neil Harris who has spent 15yrs of his working life at the club and was felt to be a safe pair of hands to take over the reins in League 1 after several stints as caretaker. The clubs loyalty to Harris has clearly been rewarded and the players obviously respect him and have responded to his leadership. In my opinion a management gamble is the last thing we need unless you’re prepared to accept a gamble on our future in the Championship.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Just my opinion but I feel now is the right time to take a gamble. Gambles sometimes pay off. What's the alternative? Float around this league forever with no real chance of anything other than mid table. We will continue losing fans and that in the long run will be the most damaging thing. I'd like to take a risk on a younger manager and give them some time. IF we get relegated we will have to.revuold from within but I of course hope this doesn't happen .