Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

charlton837

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by charlton837 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:35 am

if we don't have a clue then I would say the bookies don't either. Im not even sure ME has a clue just yet so its all pie in the sky. Cant see anything much happening in the next few weeks, in a way I hope we don't as that may indicate we are looking at someone who is in a job currently, im not overly impressed with most of those currently out of work

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 am

Shed on tour wrote:
hallamblue wrote:The odds on Kuqi have gone barmy apparently 4/6 ...whatever that means ! And the EADT has REALLY been pushing the guy Steijn in today’s press it seems .

Tbh I haven’t got a scooby doo who will be our next manager. Evans had just better get it right .
No way would I want Kuqi and as others have said I think I would prefer to see us gamble on one of the younger managers from our own lower leagues than this Dutch fella.
Kuqi is Finnish / Finnic from Finland

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Quasar wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:
hallamblue wrote:The odds on Kuqi have gone barmy apparently 4/6 ...whatever that means ! And the EADT has REALLY been pushing the guy Steijn in today’s press it seems .

Tbh I haven’t got a scooby doo who will be our next manager. Evans had just better get it right .
No way would I want Kuqi and as others have said I think I would prefer to see us gamble on one of the younger managers from our own lower leagues than this Dutch fella.
Kuqi is Finnish / Finnic from Finland
I know that Kuqi is Finnish I was referring to this Dutch manager called Steijn who has been linked with us for the past 12 months or so.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:15 pm

I agree Shed, im not sure on Steijn either. As much as I like the "romance" of having someone like Kuqi come in, that would be a huge gamble and one I think we would only be taking because he is well known to the club, he needs to go to a team in the lower leagues and cut his teeth as a UK manager before he should get a shot at it here.

Id also look to our lower leagues, the managers already mentioned (Hurst, Jones and potentially Danny Cowley). With Cowley I get the feeling his style isn't quite what many Town fans want, they sound a more together version of us at times, but he has done a fantastic job there and continues to do so. Im not sure if he could replicate it here.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:54 pm

charlton837 wrote:I agree Shed, im not sure on Steijn either. As much as I like the "romance" of having someone like Kuqi come in, that would be a huge gamble and one I think we would only be taking because he is well known to the club, he needs to go to a team in the lower leagues and cut his teeth as a UK manager before he should get a shot at it here.

Id also look to our lower leagues, the managers already mentioned (Hurst, Jones and potentially Danny Cowley). With Cowley I get the feeling his style isn't quite what many Town fans want, they sound a more together version of us at times, but he has done a fantastic job there and continues to do so. Im not sure if he could replicate it here.
Charlton

Before the game on Saturday I was discussing with bluemike about the prospect of Cowley being our manager.
We were both in agreement that we felt fans would be disappointed if they thought the style of football would change under him. The one thing I would say though, the brothers have built up a tremendous rapport with the fans at Lincoln including letting them attend training sessions and generally making them feel they are involved and very much part of the club. Whoever is appointed as manager of Town is certainly going to need to try and do the same here as the relationship between the supporters and the club is probably as bad as I have ever known it in the 46 years I have followed the team.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:33 pm

I know Cowley is favourite with us with the bookies, but the Cowley’s star is rising even further after that Cup win ... and I’m not sure if we have the pulling power to tempt them away.

Come end of season, there could well be 3 or 4 other Championship clubs looking at them.

Just because we’re looking for a manager 8 or 9 games earlier than most, another club could swoop in at the last moment with a better offer.

What we could actually be doing is putting the Cowleys, the Hurst’s , etc in the shop window a bit early ... for others with deeper pockets to swoop in. If we have a short list.... we might want need to lengthen it a bit. An early bird doesn’t necessarily get the worm.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Do we want the same style of football? No we don't.

Does a giant killing win over a crap Championship team make them outstanding managers? No it doesn't.

I don't know who we'll get, but I would like to see the Cowleys at ITFC.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:51 pm

barmy billy wrote:Do we want the same style of football? No we don't.

Does a giant killing win over a crap Championship team make them outstanding managers? No it doesn't.

I think you meant to say you "wouldn't" like the Cowleys at ITFC and that being the case I agree completely.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:

I think you meant to say you "wouldn't" like the Cowleys at ITFC and that being the case I agree completely.
Mike
As I said on Saturday out of the lower league managers Hurst would probably be my pick.
It wouldn't surprise me though if we end up with somebody not even mentioned yet.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
charlton837 wrote:I agree Shed, im not sure on Steijn either. As much as I like the "romance" of having someone like Kuqi come in, that would be a huge gamble and one I think we would only be taking because he is well known to the club, he needs to go to a team in the lower leagues and cut his teeth as a UK manager before he should get a shot at it here.

Charlton

Before the game on Saturday I was discussing with bluemike about the prospect of Cowley being our manager.
We were both in agreement that we felt fans would be disappointed if they thought the style of football would change under him. The one thing I would say though, the brothers have built up a tremendous rapport with the fans at Lincoln including letting them attend training sessions and generally making them feel they are involved and very much part of the club. Whoever is appointed as manager of Town is certainly going to need to try and do the same here as the relationship between the supporters and the club is probably as bad as I have ever known it in the 46 years I have followed the team.
Absolutely correct Shed, we need someone who will blend in along side the fans, :x unlike our Mr Evans, and whoever is appointed it will be a gamble, but we have gambled three times in the past with success, Ramsey, Robson, & Burley, so lets hope its another gamble that pays off. :)

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:31 pm

:roll: Also a manager taking on a new club, must be a bit like choosing another House to move too, will I like the area?? can I settle my family in the area, will I get the freedom to build onto better things, are the facilities in place to make it an enjoyable employment move, and the main one is, will me and my backroom staff get on with the new employer :roll: will I get the respect of all the current squad of playing staff, if he can answer yes to these questions then it will be welcome to Ipswich Town FC.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Sorry Mike, my stupid mistake. I definitely WOULD NOT like to see the Cowleys at ITFC.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:05 pm

But iIF it is to be the Cowleys, whose style of play is probably determined by the quality of players available - similar to MM! - then hopefully they would be given some time and support. Adopting hard-line, negative, attitudes before they - or anyone for that matter - is anywhere near the building seems a tad bizarre. (Accepting of course that all shades of opinion are welcome on here!)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 pm

herforder wrote:Adopting hard-line, negative, attitudes before they - or anyone for that matter - is anywhere near the building seems a tad bizarre.
Unless it's McLaren or WarFanny......, then it's completely understandable! :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:34 pm

marko69 wrote:
herforder wrote:Adopting hard-line, negative, attitudes before they - or anyone for that matter - is anywhere near the building seems a tad bizarre.
Unless it's McLaren or WarFanny......, then it's completely understandable! :D
Yes....candidates from the Flat Earth universe don’t count! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:17 pm

Yes i will 100% be behind the new manager whoever it is, you really can't do anything else....

And oh yeah....THE LOONS ARE STAYING UP!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Certainly a gutsy away win on saturday......., but its not mathematically done yet is it? Big game on Sat v Alloa ..... a club that once haunted the poor Loons a few years back? Remember that 2nd leg, Mike?

Forgive me for reminding you! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 pm

marko69 wrote:Certainly a gutsy away win on saturday......., but its not mathematically done yet is it? Big game on Sat v Alloa ..... a club that once haunted the poor Loons a few years back? Remember that 2nd leg, Mike?

Forgive me for reminding you! :lol:
7 points clear with 3 games to go so im confident.

Marko that game haunts me !!! Bloody Chopra scoring right on HT and we were cruising till then. Our defending 2nd half was woeful .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Looking very much like its Steijn or Clough from what im hearing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Hopefully digging up Brian? Better not be Nigel, ffs.

Que Herforder with a song:
“They’re only making plans, for Nigel......”

:D

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:Looking very much like its Steijn or Clough from what im hearing.
I don't want to appear hard-line or negative, but neither of the above inspire me with glee.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Well the club have already spoken with Nigel Clough is what I'm being told today

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:55 pm

I can see cough being realistic tbh

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:52 pm

charlton837 wrote:I can see cough being realistic tbh
As long as we don’t catch a cold! Sponsored by Benalyn :wink:

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:58 pm

charlton837 wrote:I can see cough being realistic tbh
As long as we don’t catch a cold! Sponsored by Benalyn :wink:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Not sure how much is in this Clough link... but his team has just down 5-0 at home to Hull. Bottom of the league and virtually relegated.

No matter how little resources Clough has had, thats going to be a big sell to our fans.

This job is crying out for a young manager on the way up .... hope this Clough link is bollocks.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Very high-spec Merc, with Dutch number plates, parked outside the Salthouse Harbour Hotel tonight. Maybe nothing........but it’s the hotel of choice for players and potential managers...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:26 pm

The person who told me had supposedly heard it from a shareholder and that it is solid but talking with him doesnt mean its done deal

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Know nothing of the dutch guy, but PLEASE, not Clough.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:43 am

Where the f*ck did Nigel Clough emerge from any of this ? Had a quick look on TWTD earlier and wasn't any mention of the name to be had, and furthermore latest view of odds doesn't include the aforementioned name anywhere in their standing.

Isn't he near the relegation zone with Burton Albion or on the verge of League One "football" from August, and he's one of the candidates now for the McCarthy vacancy ? As others have doubtless stated, can only hope this never comes to pass.

Don't get me wrong, have a lot of respect for the Clough family, what his father achieved may never be replicated and deserves full acknowledgment, but (his son) as manager of Ipswich Town ? Sorry but that's a no-go. This course while it lasts still as a distance to run but we need someone with relevant experience and proven abilities.