Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 25, 2018 1:46 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Bluemike wrote:He hasnt turned us down though Derick as we hadnt offered him anything, he has jumped at the chance of a big job much closer to home, good luck to him. The reason Evans wants to interview Hurst is because he has always been his first choice so for me resisting the temptation of opting for second best is spot on, of course Hurst may not happen either but I tend to think he's a cert to be here next week, although ive been wrong before!!! Or have I ??? No f*ck it I'm never wrong.....welcome Paul Hurst LMAO.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44238168. Read this, seems he may have been offered the job?
"Offers" plural is interesting, I still doubt it was us but no doubt it will all come out in the wash.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Sure it's entirely possible Ross turned us down, and if he did that's fine. Good luck at Sunderland you c*ck. :lol: (knee-jerk!)
Well one thing's for sure, we should know who our next manager is by this time next week. I honestly can't see ME appointing one of the dinosaurs...because that would go against everything he said in the monumental video. If he does appoint a T-Rex you better get your umbrellas ready; the Bellend Helicopter report will defo be predicting a shitstorm!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Little disappointed to the see the name evade us, thought maybe it could have been a viable venture if the club had obtained his services but realize now it's not going to occur. Maybe League One is more of a comfortable proposition than Championship League if you're moving from a team the size of St Mirren i.e. he found the idea of working at the second level of English 'football' a little daunting.

As someone mentioned it'll be closer to home (Sunderland) which must have played a significant factor in any decision or wasn't impressed enough at time of (Evans') interview about ambition or the capacity to spend in the transfer market. One again to some degree it's a shame, you feel we've missed out on a good opportunity, but no hard feelings in the decision.

Just for the record, not really in favor of Hurst coming in. Not a name I'd been impressed with. Understand there's a play-off event coming up soon where his current team may - or may not - see a promotion out of their respective division. You got to feel whatever the result when the time arises he'll most likely move on elsewhere i.e. look for a new challenge with bigger rewards etc. Hope it's not with us, just skeptical such a move could ever really work for the team.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Out of interest Saint Jude, what don't you like about Hurst that you saw in Ross?

It's going to be too much speculation about what is going on behind the scenes, but to be 1/10 to appoint Ross and after that story, it does seem to suggest it may have been an offer that fell through, perhaps we were trying to get him on a short or cheap deal with the knowledge that Hurst was possibly available in the near future, who knows, but I will repeat we have lost a hell of a lot of players through contract stage disagreements, if we take the same approach with managers and with Hurst's stock getting pretty high, we might end with another Paul Jewell type appointment, god forbid.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 25, 2018 3:33 pm

Ross seemed to garner more plaudits than the other i.e. he seemed to be held in greater regard or there was an unspoken belief he would have been a better fit for this club than Hurst.

For the last time they're both (or were) involved with small unrecognized club teams in Scotland and England respectively and the transition to a Championship club may have proved awkward (or still can -) but given a choice would have preferred Ross over the other. People seem in favor of a Hurst appointment - be it imminent or just another damn goose chase - but just not feeling comfortable with the idea it could happen.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 25, 2018 3:35 pm

For what it’s worth I am concerned and think we’ve made a complete f*ck up in our search for McCarthy’s replacement which suggests it’s being mostly done “in house”. It’s now circa 58 days since the Club formally announced McCarthy’s departure and ME will have known many days or even weeks/months earlier that he wouldn’t be renewing his contract. The search for his replacement should already have been in place, and indeed may well have been, although this is highly unlikely.
If there’s any truth in our local newspapers report that we wasted time on carrying out due diligence on up to 100 applicants only serves to confirm that our football hierarchy are clueless when it comes to recruitment. In my opinion at least 90% of this number should have been eliminated at the stroke of a pen with 10% shortlisted for further consideration.
If we’ve not already got Paul Hurst contracted to us then we most definitely shouldn’t be waiting on the result of Shrewsbury’s play off final, and if we have, why have we been pissing around with other candidates’s.
In my opinion Jack Ross was by far our best option and I have little doubt he will become a big name in football management in the next few years, and had we been a little more dynamic he could have been contracted to us and in position before Sunderland even had a vacancy.
One question, can anyone else remember any other football club which has taken more than two months to fill a vacancy. Even top tier Arsenal only took 4 weeks to fill a vacancy at the highest level.
I’m happy to sit it out and wait for it to be happen but can’t say i’m particularly impressed with either our process or potential first choice candidate.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm

SJ I don't get why you would be underwhelmed by Hurst but happy with Ross? I do understand what you say about he had some good credentials but on paper (in my opinion) he is less qualified for the job than Hurst is. I think we might be losing our sh*t for no reason at the moment, lets just keep some perspective, it seems Hurst has been the choice all the way through, I think he will join us next week.

When we talk about the jobs they were doing, Hurst has got Shrewsbury into the league 1 play off final on a very low budget even for that league. If they got promoted their budget would be quite considerably less than Burton I believe and they were struggling to compete finance wise at this level. I think the job Hurst has done their has been quite brilliant, especially when you consider the position they were in when he took over. He did a very good job with Grimsby too. I am not saying he can just do the same with Ipswich but hes done it here in England, League 1 is a better level than the Scottish Championship. I think Ross may do well at Sunderland and fair play to him, but maybe we are just holding our nerve to get our man which we have wanted from the start. If Shrewsbury had lost I the play off semi finals I think we would have our manager in place now, be that Hurst or Ross.

I am weirdly optimistic, as I said before if it all goes wrong I am happy to admit im wrong, I just feel Evans is confident of getting his man. Seeing how he operates in the past I think if he really wants a manger he will pay the money to get them, so I don't think terms will be an issue even if another club came in to compete with us. Evans seems to pay the manager fairly, probably knowing that the job they have to do here is over and above that of many other clubs, effectively left to run the whole lot.

I look forward to seeing the developments next week, if we get Hurst I think its job done and kudos to Evans, if we don't lets see who we end up with, there are some other options out there but we would need to get it done fast, beginning of June was the latest that we were told and im sure it will be done by then.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:28 pm

charlton837 wrote:......if we get Hurst I think its job done and kudos to Evans,....
Yep, and everyone, (not just you Charlton) remember that ^^^^ when Hurst can’t manage Ipswich Town worth a sh*t and the forum is reminded that it’s all actually Mevans’ fault. Let’s face it........ that rollercoaster could potentially be open for rides again. Mach Polish Blue is selling tickets as we speak! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Super post Charlton and I'm with you all the way, I too will happily admit I got it totally wrong if Hurst goes tits up, I won't change my mind in that I believe it's been virtually a done deal for a while, having watched Hursts team against Man City and then the p*ss poor fare from Alloa and then Partick it is a no contest as to who is better suited to us, Hurst or Ross, only one winner and hopefully we get him, the standard is miles apart.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Hurst 4/7 with Betvictor and 1/3 elsewhere.

WTF !!!!! 11/4 second Favs for relegation next season ?????

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 pm

:roll: I'm sorry but I can see this ending in tears, :cry: :shock: unless of course Mr Evans has a cast iron guarantee from Paul Hurst's 2nd interview that he wants to join us for sure, but like I've said before, we've all seen the scenario of hanging onto hopes of signing good players in the past, only to be shot in the foot, because other teams have stepped in with better offers, one thing is for sure, if we don't get Hurst, and its someone else that the fans don't like, gates will sink faster than the Titanic, one other things for sure we've been pissed on before with promises of better things to happen, and its always turned sour and disappointing, so please expect the unexpected, and remember Mr Evans hates spending his wealth, but we will see, cross fingers he does not renegade on his promise, I am being practical not pessimistic

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 pm

No you are not being practical, you are being your usual self, :D when are you ever positive about ANYTHING ITFC ?? I can't remember it Ash which is a shame. Just for the record officially Paul Hurst hasn't had his first interview but i'm kinda with you as i think he has had some form of contact. It took approximately 160 minutes for the Titanic to sink after hitting the iceberg, do you seriously think our ticket office can move that fast to cancel ST holders tickets etc ? Never gonna happen. Ash, wouldn't the unexpected be us securing Paul Hurst as manager ? You certainly don't think it will happen so for you to say expect the unexpected surely we are to expect Hurst to be in post quite soon ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:Hurst 4/7 with Betvictor and 1/3 elsewhere.

WTF !!!!! 11/4 second Favs for relegation next season ?????
Mike, I’ve given up on the bookies. Ross’s odds were actually better than 4/7 (like 1/4) not long ago.

I’don’t worry about our relegation odds for next season. Even with what players we’ve got I still think there’s at least 3 teams worse than us. They probably think because MM has left we’ll implode ... something that MM never said out loud, but heavily hinted aboutin his self-interest.
I think the new manager will have a solid squad and a bunch of good youngsters to work with... something to build with..... as long as we get a decent manager :). Just up to Marcus to get the deal done.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 26, 2018 7:19 am

Well I’m sitting here this morning hoping that in the next 48hrs Paul Hurst is confirmed as our new manager and can start the job of getting our football team in good shape for the start of the new season. Whilst he wouldn’t be my first choice i’m more than happy to give him my support and wish him well.
If his appointment isn’t confirmed within 24/48hrs of Shrewsbury’s play off final then I think we have a problem.
Not long to wait now for all to be revealed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 7:41 am

Gonna be longer than 48 hours Andy, within the week I reckon.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 am

Charnwood wrote:For what it’s worth I am concerned and think we’ve made a complete f*ck up in our search for McCarthy’s replacement which suggests it’s being mostly done “in house”. It’s now circa 58 days since the Club formally announced McCarthy’s departure and ME will have known many days or even weeks/months earlier that he wouldn’t be renewing his contract. The search for his replacement should already have been in place, and indeed may well have been, although this is highly unlikely.
If there’s any truth in our local newspapers report that we wasted time on carrying out due diligence on up to 100 applicants only serves to confirm that our football hierarchy are clueless when it comes to recruitment. In my opinion at least 90% of this number should have been eliminated at the stroke of a pen with 10% shortlisted for further consideration.
If we’ve not already got Paul Hurst contracted to us then we most definitely shouldn’t be waiting on the result of Shrewsbury’s play off final, and if we have, why have we been pissing around with other candidates’s.
In my opinion Jack Ross was by far our best option and I have little doubt he will become a big name in football management in the next few years, and had we been a little more dynamic he could have been contracted to us and in position before Sunderland even had a vacancy.
One question, can anyone else remember any other football club which has taken more than two months to fill a vacancy. Even top tier Arsenal only took 4 weeks to fill a vacancy at the highest level.
I’m happy to sit it out and wait for it to be happen but can’t say i’m particularly impressed with either our process or potential first choice candidate.

This thread is now 28 pages long, and this is by far the most sensible and pragmatic post I have seen on the matter.

We none of us know that Hurst is or ever was ME's preferred choice for the managers job - it's obvious that he wants to interview him but that's about all anyone can tell at the moment.

I too would have preferred Ross to Hurst, but I expect that in any case if Hurst does leave Shrewsbury then he will go to Derby

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat May 26, 2018 8:24 am

rossi wrote:
Charnwood wrote:For what it’s worth I am concerned and think we’ve made a complete f*ck up in our search for McCarthy’s replacement which suggests it’s being mostly done “in house”. It’s now circa 58 days since the Club formally announced McCarthy’s departure and ME will have known many days or even weeks/months earlier that he wouldn’t be renewing his contract. The search for his replacement should already have been in place, and indeed may well have been, although this is highly unlikely.

This thread is now 28 pages long, and this is by far the most sensible and pragmatic post I have seen on the matter.

We none of us know that Hurst is or ever was ME's preferred choice for the managers job - it's obvious that he wants to interview him but that's about all anyone can tell at the moment.

I too would have preferred Ross to Hurst, but I expect that in any case if Hurst does leave Shrewsbury then he will go to Derby
BOOM THE TRUTH IS OUT. HURST WOULD DEFINITELY PICK DERBY OVER US. BETTER SQUAD AND MORE FINANCE. AGREED

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 am

The same as Lampard was coming here Rossi ? :wink:

It looks like our Frank is Derby bound, at 1/7 he is clearly fav.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 26, 2018 10:01 am

Apart from Lampard, I'd say Derby would go for Dean Smith of Brentford ahead of Hurst.

If that's the case - could we beat Brentford in a managerial shoot-out with Hurst? :) They wouldn't have 60 days though to conduct their recruitment and interview process so we should be safe.

I'm trying to think of any other Championship clubs which are on the lookout for a manager - Leeds are always on the lookout, but Hurst is only at 16-1 there. Swansea look like they'll get Potter.

It could be immaterial - Hurst might choose to stay at Shrewsbury if they win.

I really get Charnwood and Rossi are saying, but I'll keep some faith for the moment, because I cannot believe an owner would be so incompetent enough to wait 60 days for one manager without getting him. Therefore, I expect Evans to get Hurst. If he doesn't, then he has no excuses.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat May 26, 2018 10:06 am

:roll: So What would you all say if we miss out on Paul Hurst, which could happen??, :shock: and say we get Scott Parker, interesting to see your comments.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 26, 2018 10:20 am

ashfordblue wrote::roll: So What would you all say if we miss out on Paul Hurst, which could happen??, :shock: and say we get Scott Parker, interesting to see your comments.
I would be livid. Its very black and white for me. You either get Hurst OR Evans is the biggest tw*t ever who's conducted the longest, drawn-out, ill-conceived cluster f*ck.
I'm not sure what I'd say, but I would ask - if Scott Parker was so good, why didn't we appoint him 3 or 4 weeks ago?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 10:42 am

Super super Paul, super super Paul, super super Paul,
Super Paul Hurst !!!!!!!!

Super Paul's Blue and White Army !!!!!!!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 26, 2018 11:19 am

I can’t see Derby County having even the remotest interest in Paul Hurst, they will almost certainly want either a big name or someone with Championship experience. I can’t for one minute see them interested in anyone with only League 1 and League 2 experience and why some of you guys are so sure of Hurst over Ross beats me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 11:24 am

Andy am I missing something ? Ross hasn't even done it at the level of Hurst so what are you seeing i'm not ? Why so hung up on Ross, because we missed out on him ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 26, 2018 12:02 pm

We have f*cked up big time - yet again, IMO. How the hell can you give a candidate (whose stock is rising by the day), two interviews then expect him to hang around while you wait to interview another candidate who’s not even available to talk to you, and may not be available anyway.

Shock amazement another Club nips in and does the deal in 48hours. What a bunch of fuckwits we have at senior management here!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Well i don't agree, unless someone has the dialogue between the Two parties from the second interview I don't see how anyone can say we've f*cked up anything. It could just be ME wanted to interview his first choice before taking second best, spot on in my opinion, in any case Ross and Sunderland are clearly underhand and liars in the way they conducted business as confirmed by St. Mirren, not sure I'd want that type here anyway.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 26, 2018 1:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:We have f*cked up big time - yet again, IMO. How the hell can you give a candidate (whose stock is rising by the day), two interviews then expect him to hang around while you wait to interview another candidate who’s not even available to talk to you, and may not be available anyway.

Shock amazement another Club nips in and does the deal in 48hours. What a bunch of fuckwits we have at senior management here!
It's hard not to think like that Hallam, if Hurst is appointed next week then I think all will be forgotten, but it's no small if.

We were 16th in the league for attendances, the bookies have essentially made us favourites for relegation, the last manager had no budget to play with, was not supported by those above him and had a sour relationship with the fans, tell me why non-desperate managers would be clambering over each other to get a job here? While that is doom and gloom scaremongering and doesn't tell the whole story, they're some of the things managers will look at and we're not the huge attractive club that we have been in the past, my worry is if Evans and the board think and act like we are, we're in for a lot of hurt.

Fans will clearly be watching how Ross gets on next year and if we don't get Hurst, they'll be watching the pair even closer. If neither are appointed, then Evans and the board are really going to have to pull something out their arses to stop next season starting off on the wrong foot, there could be discontent very early on

I think we wanted Ross Mike and failed to land him, nothing will be declared a f*ck up until the appointment is announced, that all remains to be seen. The problem is, in waiting for your first choice, you can miss out on your second choice, third choice, who knows, but we had a jump on all these teams with McCarthy going well before the end of the season and we decided not to capitalise on the opportunity of having first dibs. Again that's their prerogative, if we land Hurst, it worked, if we don't, it failed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 1:57 pm

If we wanted him as first choice Ricco we would have offered him the job.....we didnt.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:If we wanted him as first choice Ricco we would have offered him the job.....we didnt.
Some things point to the fact we offered him a contract, we don't know.

If I waited for my first choice woman, I'd be single forever. Sometimes a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, especially when the alternative is starvation AKA Coleman. Don't rise to the crap I'm spouting Mike, I know I'm just nervous and probably being unnecessarily negative, but it feels like groundhog day... Joe Bloggs a fantastic player is interested in Town, we've all but sealed the deal, oh it's fallen through and he's gone elsewhere, it's happened far too often and I'm getting twitchy!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 26, 2018 2:30 pm

I get what you are saying and I suppose because i suggested Paul Hurst as my choice back on page 2 of this thread im happy for us to wait for him.

I must admit I'm failing to see much of the hype surrounding Ross, for me Hurst has been more successful at a better level and I really don't want this to turn into another way to beat ME just for the sake of it. If we "go for" Hurst and miss out then yes knock him and I admit I'll be pretty pissed.