Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

Marvinbay1973

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:LOL nevermind Marvin, everyone can have a pop if it goes tits up !!!!!!
It is all good :wink:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed May 30, 2018 7:49 pm

saint jude wrote:Not sure what to add to this issue. Could disclose not entirely pleased with the decision, don't think a manger of that nature is suited to the second level of English 'football', but anything after the mess McCarthy left behind has to be a bonus.
Couldn't let that one by :mrgreen:

The fact is that McCarthy has left anything but a mess. Hurst must be wetting himself with his luck. We have an excellent squad at Portman Road and a great dressing room (as reiterated by Skuse today). McCarthy left the club in an excellent position to push forwards in my opinion and not too many new managers are lucky enough to come into a job with things set up this nicely. I hope, as we all do, that he brings a new style of football and no doubt he will look to make some changes but it must be nice for him to know that he has a solid platform to build on already in place.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 pm

I think you're right Dubai, we're in far better shape than when McCarthy came, if the squad stays fit (which is a big if I know), then there's a glut of midfield options for starters. Our weakest part is our defence, but both Hurst and Doig were both defenders, they're as capable as any to sort that out, Shrewsbury had the second best defensive record in the league last year.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Wed May 30, 2018 8:29 pm

Like Bluemike I've been aware of what PH was achieving at Shrewsbury for some time as I have a mate at my golf club who is a die-hard fan of the "Mighty Shrews" as he calls them. I was looking forward to visiting them with him next season as it did look for most of the season that they would (miraculously) be in the Championship. I was only sorry that they were no longer playing at Gay Meadow! Anyway ,they failed at the last hurdle (62 games!!} but that shouldn't detract from the quite outstanding job Hurst did there....talk about over achieving!
I'm thrilled that we've got him, even if my mate isn't.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
marko69 wrote:
saint jude wrote:,......don't think a manger of that nature is suited to the second level of English 'football.......
Telling you Saint........ He’s the Fking MESSIAH!

No, hes a very naughty boy!!!
GIRL: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.
BRIAN: What?! Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
FOLLOWERS: He is! He is the Messiah!
BRIAN: Now, f*ck off!

I will need to go watch this now, Nicsreamer! :D

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:39 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
saint jude wrote:Not sure what to add to this issue. Could disclose not entirely pleased with the decision, don't think a manger of that nature is suited to the second level of English 'football', but anything after the mess McCarthy left behind has to be a bonus.
Couldn't let that one by :mrgreen:

The fact is that McCarthy has left anything but a mess. Hurst must be wetting himself with his luck. We have an excellent squad at Portman Road and a great dressing room (as reiterated by Skuse today). McCarthy left the club in an excellent position to push forwards in my opinion and not too many new managers are lucky enough to come into a job with things set up this nicely. I hope, as we all do, that he brings a new style of football and no doubt he will look to make some changes but it must be nice for him to know that he has a solid platform to build on already in place.
I would agree with this, its clear that Mick has left a sound footing to build upon. My issue was I felt Mick only built a base but did nothing to try and push us forward enough, very risk adverse even when he had some players who were capable of making a difference. I certainly wouldn't say hes left us in a mess in terms of players, dressing room etc. The only possible argument there is for saying hes left some damage is the large decline in ST holders and supporters attending, some of which I expect to see back at PR next season now hes gone and weve appointed someone who most deem to be exciting

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu May 31, 2018 9:43 am

I see that Lampard has been appointed new Derby manager.

It will be interesting to see how that goes. Lot of expectations there, but obviously a bigger budget than us. Doesn’t really strike me an East Midlands type .... it’s not an easy commute from London.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:57 am

tangfastic wrote:I see that Lampard has been appointed new Derby manager.

It will be interesting to see how that goes. Lot of expectations there, but obviously a bigger budget than us. Doesn’t really strike me an East Midlands type .... it’s not an easy commute from London.
Ive been quite surprised by the amount of people almost willing Lampard to fail. I think its good that some ex players are moving into management, especially younger British guys, I hope they do well to be honest. With Derby it will be interesting to see how they approach the season, hes already talking about developing their young players, perhaps they wont be throwing money at it this time round. Also I saw Villa may be in some trouble, Terry has left but also apparently other big names may follow, they have some "challenges" with FFP apparently and they are going to have to make some significant changes. From the outside it looks like they may have thrown everything at it for 2 seasons to get out of the league, as that hasn't worked they may now have to pay the price for it. Will be very interesting to see how that one pans out

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu May 31, 2018 2:22 pm

charlton837 wrote:

Ive been quite surprised by the amount of people almost willing Lampard to fail. I think its good that some ex players are moving into management, especially younger British guys, I hope they do well to be honest. With Derby it will be interesting to see how they approach the season, hes already talking about developing their young players, perhaps they wont be throwing money at it this time round. Also I saw Villa may be in some trouble, Terry has left but also apparently other big names may follow, they have some "challenges" with FFP apparently and they are going to have to make some significant changes. From the outside it looks like they may have thrown everything at it for 2 seasons to get out of the league, as that hasn't worked they may now have to pay the price for it. Will be very interesting to see how that one pans out
That's right Charlton FFP is based on maximum losses over 3 seasons and the next is the third. It means they will have to cut budgets a lot. There is talk of Bruce leaving too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
charlton837 wrote:

That's right Charlton FFP is based on maximum losses over 3 seasons and the next is the third. It means they will have to cut budgets a lot. There is talk of Bruce leaving too.
Sounds like a job for Mick.... although he’s not cheap.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 31, 2018 10:39 pm

Unlike most of you guys on here I simply cant get excited about Paul Hurst’s appointment especially on a three year contract which means we’re stuck with him for this period even if things don’t work out. I’d have much preferred a two year deal with a further 12 month option, however I fully understand this may have been necessary to bag our man.

My concern is the massive jump from managing in Leagues 1 & 2 up to the Championship which is one of the most competitive Leagues in Europe. Although I haven’t checked this out I can only recall three managers who’ve been successful making the jump from League 1 to Championship to Prem League, Dave Bassett (Sheffield United), Paul Jewell (Wigan), and Eddie Howe (Bournemouth), all of whom achieved their success with pretty much the same set of players at the same club.

Most promotions from the Championship to the Premier League are achieved with managers with more relevant experience.

Don’t get me wrong, Paul Hurst will have my total support and I wish him well, I just think the odds are stacked against him and that we’re taking a huge risk. On this occasion I can’t wait to be proved wrong.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 pm

Rather surprisingly Frank Lampard has said today that he, Christine and their currently unborn baby will all be moving to the East Midlands.

Another club taking a huge risk, but I won’t be surprised to see him do well. It’s about time we had a new generation top level English player make a success in football management as so few do.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:53 pm

He’ll have an easier job than Gerrard with regards to the fans that’s for sure. Rangers fans want the title from Celtic,.....,, anything else is a failed season. But I actually hope Frank does ok, he’s a likeable chap.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 pm

So we are talking Town and Derby for the auto spots next season - that will do nicely :astroll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:01 am

Charnwood wrote:Unlike most of you guys on here I simply cant get excited about Paul Hurst’s appointment especially on a three year contract which means we’re stuck with him for this period even if things don’t work out. I’d have much preferred a two year deal with a further 12 month option, however I fully understand this may have been necessary to bag our man.

My concern is the massive jump from managing in Leagues 1 & 2 up to the Championship which is one of the most competitive Leagues in Europe. Although I haven’t checked this out I can only recall three managers who’ve been successful making the jump from League 1 to Championship to Prem League, Dave Bassett (Sheffield United), Paul Jewell (Wigan), and Eddie Howe (Bournemouth), all of whom achieved their success with pretty much the same set of players at the same club.

Most promotions from the Championship to the Premier League are achieved with managers with more relevant experience.

Don’t get me wrong, Paul Hurst will have my total support and I wish him well, I just think the odds are stacked against him and that we’re taking a huge risk. On this occasion I can’t wait to be proved wrong.
But its not as big a jump as it is from the Scottish Championship

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:14 am

Charnwood wrote:Unlike most of you guys on here I simply cant get excited about Paul Hurst’s appointment especially on a three year contract which means we’re stuck with him for this period even if things don’t work out. I’d have much preferred a two year deal with a further 12 month option, however I fully understand this may have been necessary to bag our man.

Whilst I understand your reservations, who else would you have wanted? One of the lame journeymen? As far as I see it, this is not a risk, just a good solid calculated appointment of someone who is young, up and coming , and full of enthusiasm for moving a club forward. I could not think of a better appointment that fits our current criteria.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:38 am

Me too - his win record is impressive enough (although more than half of it was achieved as joint manager only), but it is still a big jump and I have to say I was less than impressed with the Shrewsbury game plans and style in the 3 play-off games I watched them in.

I am, however, really pleased to see that we have gone for a young manager, but people need to realise that he will need to be given time in the same way that Bobby Robson was.

It's no secret that my choice for manager would have been Frank Lampard. It seems that Derby are in the same boat as Villa for this coming season - constrained by FFP, so the playing field between us and Derby next season should be more level - it will be interesting to see where we both finish.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:14 am

Bluemike wrote:

But its not as big a jump as it is from the Scottish Championship
Mike, my first preference would have been neither of them, but of the two I would have preferred Ross over Hurst. If I could have chosen any British manager to come to Portman Road my first choice would have been Neil Warnock who I guess will be available again very soon because he’s not in my opinion Premier League, but certainly one of the best in the Championship.
Anyway, a bit like Brexit, I’ve accepted the decision and moved on and look forward to a fresh start with a young up and coming Manager in charge and not having a dinosaur at the helm.
I just hope the fans don’t expect their new messiah to perform immediate miracles.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 am

I’m pleased we’ve got Hurst, but I’m not one that expects him to walk in and wave a magic wand. He’ll need time and so expectations need to be reasoned. He had an immediate effect at Shrewsbury, but he needed 4 or 5 seasons at Grimsby to get promotion. It call for a bit of patience.

I just want him to squeeze out something a bit extra from the players in a positive way and get the fans back behind the club. Not even thinking of play-offs ( or even relegation) at the moment.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:23 am

tangfastic wrote:Not even thinking of play-offs ( or even relegation) at the moment.
So mid table mediocrity then? Paul is going to fit right in, Tang! :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:38 am

Ross has stated that he new instinctively that Sunderland was the right fit for him, having spoken with other clubs. Of course, having been interviewed twice by ME, yet not offered the job, some might say that he would say that!

But I think he’s right: if ME was prepared to take the calculated risk of going for a younger - hopefully progressive - manager, then Hurst’s profile, personality and experience of the English leagues makes him the better fit for us. Nothing against Ross or Sunderland - hopefully the right decision by them. Let time and events decide - going to be very interesting to see how things shake out for Lampard, Ross and Hurst. All about to embark on epic journeys!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:44 am

marko69 wrote:
tangfastic wrote:Not even thinking of play-offs ( or even relegation) at the moment.
There’s accepted mid-table mediocrity ( from Mick) and there’s mid-table with an eye to improving the team and challenging upwards over time.

Everyone’s got their own expectations. I’d say the first challenge is to bring back the fans and get some entertainment and joy back in the team. It’s been mostly miserable for the last couple of seasons and it’s not all about league position. I’d just like to see Hurst give us a bit of hope forsomething better. Mick just wanted to reaffirm our football and league position were good, based on our finances. Over-emphasising pragmatism all the time seemed to squash any hopes and drove fans away.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:49 am

tangfastic wrote:
marko69 wrote:
There’s accepted mid-table mediocrity ( from Mick) and there’s mid-table with an eye to improving the team and challenging upwards over time.

Everyone’s got their own expectations. I’d say the first challenge is to bring back the fans and get some entertainment and joy back in the team. It’s been mostly miserable for the last couple of seasons and it’s not all about league position. I’d just like to see Hurst give us a bit of hope forsomething better. Mick just wanted to reaffirm our football and league position were good, based on our finances. Over-emphasising pragmatism all the time seemed to squash any hopes and drove fans away.
As much as I disliked MM I think you are being a bit harsh in what you say in your first sentence. I don't think he accepted mid-table mediocrity and I think he was always trying to improve the team within the budget constraints imposed on him, just as Hurst will be expected to do.

I think MM's approach was different in the style of play and his manner of trying to attain a higher league position, hence the dreary and boring product offered. From what Hurst has said about trying to win every game it seems that his approach (hopefully) is going to be totally different. Thank goodness.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:51 am

Who are "most of the guys" Charny? Because I am certainly not one of them. We should have a poll, who wanted him and who did not? :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 pm

Everyone should be rejoicing that it’s not......

“WARBURTONS A FANNY, HE WEARS A FANNYS HAT
HE WINS AGAINST DUMBARTON, AND OTHER SHYTE LIKE THAT
BUT WHEN HE FACED THE HIBEES, SUDDENLY IT DAWNED.....
TO WIN THE SCOTTISH CUP..... HE’LL NEED A F**KIN WAND.”

Interesting season seeing how a few other clubs get on next season....., probably Sunderland being the main focus.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:39 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:

Who are "most of the guys" Charny? Because I am certainly not one of them. We should have a poll, who wanted him and who did not? :wink:

Well it seems like most of the boys and girls are feeling happy with the appointment , I thought it was only me and Rossi who were less happy but maybe I’ve been too busy to follow it closely having been playing catch up every few days.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:12 pm

I guess whatever appointment you make there are always some happy, some not so happy. It must be rare where everyone universally is totally happy.

The one thing we all agree on though is we want it to work out, we all want some good positive seasons ahead after a couple dominated by huge negativity for a number of reasons

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:40 pm

There were a lot of viable candidates available during the past few weeks throughout the ongoing "search" that were overlooked / never approached / not appointed including a range of names that have been proven at a higher level and the sum total being the club took a risk / decision on a name from League One - a name that was unable to even navigate a promotion from it's own respective division. Cue "Yes but they've been involved in a vast number of games and challenges up until the final event" - but that's a hardly a unique situation for any one club side. What's so special about Hurst or his (ex) employers that they warrant special attention.

Another element that doesn't sit right being Evans seems to have received a considerable number of plaudits in recent days after the appointment i.e. well done, f*ck me what an inspired choice etc. Lo and behold for the best part of ten years of his "ownership" he remained in the shadows not lifting a goddamn finger when the club required assistance and seems the best part of those who held any animosity his way now view him as some level of savior. Maybe it's due in part (as believe someone mentioned) the club has been on a downward spiral to such an extent the past 10 years any change would seem cause for celebration.

This can only continue down a blind alley. One further time initial reaction to the Hurst appointment was one of disappointment maybe even regret, as a follower of ITFC for more years than can remember think I've earned the right to choose opinion and bottom line, the new manager may offer stability but as with a number of other names before him not someone who can take the club where we need to be at i.e. the EPL. First and foremost that is the primary objective. Can Hurst deliver it, to all intents and purposes I believe not.

Attempted the last few days to register with a leading Shrewsbury forum to offer opinion and participate in this issue but this was at time when the switch between clubs was being finalized. Got an idea the board administrators view fans of this club as laid back Yokel types ploughing fields and chewing tobacco, with an abundance of time at their disposal. Kind of lost interest in that particular objective at present time.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:12 pm

saint jude wrote:There were a lot of viable candidates available during the past few weeks throughout the ongoing "search" that were overlooked / never approached / not appointed including a range of names that have been proven at a higher level and the sum total being the club took a risk / decision on a name from League One - a name that was unable to even navigate a promotion from it's own respective division. Cue "Yes but they've been involved in a vast number of games and challenges up until the final event" - but that's a hardly a unique situation for any one club side. What's so special about Hurst or his (ex) employers that they warrant special attention.

Another element that doesn't sit right being Evans seems to have received a considerable number of plaudits in recent days after the appointment i.e. well done, f*ck me what an inspired choice etc. Lo and behold for the best part of ten years of his "ownership" he remained in the shadows not lifting a goddamn finger when the club required assistance and seems the best part of those who held any animosity his way now view him as some level of savior. Maybe it's due in part (as believe someone mentioned) the club has been on a downward spiral to such an extent the past 10 years any change would seem cause for celebration.

This can only continue down a blind alley. One further time initial reaction to the Hurst appointment was one of disappointment maybe even regret, as a follower of ITFC for more years than can remember think I've earned the right to choose opinion and bottom line, the new manager may offer stability but as with a number of other names before him not someone who can take the club where we need to be at i.e. the EPL. First and foremost that is the primary objective. Can Hurst deliver it, to all intents and purposes I believe not.

Attempted the last few days to register with a leading Shrewsbury forum to offer opinion and participate in this issue but this was at time when the switch between clubs was being finalized. Got an idea the board administrators view fans of this club as laid back Yokel types ploughing fields and chewing tobacco, with an abundance of time at their disposal. Kind of lost interest in that particular objective at present time.
SJ, WHICH “viable candidates available during the past few weeks throughout the ongoing "search" that were overlooked / never approached / not appointed including a range of names that have been proven at a higher level” are you referring to? Just name names?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:16 pm

f*ck my life!!!! Why do I suffer this