Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

Marvinbay1973

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Stevie G a bit of a surprise, but why not, a gamble no doubt but none of the other candidates are a guaranteed success either

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 pm

Even Lampard was mentioned recent, if given a choice between that and Steven Gerrard, would favor the former without hesitation. Ideally would prefer neither, for one thing they possess nowhere near the experience at managerial level and found it bizarre either have even been put forward for consideration.

Jack Ross is one of the favorites - which isn't saying much - and don't even recognize the name. Cowley is out in front once more but seems it's not above pushing random names to the fore and continued conjecture. Just go with an established name damn it and put any obscure / inappropriate names by the wayside.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 am

saint jude wrote:Even Lampard was mentioned recent, if given a choice between that and Steven Gerrard, would favor the former without hesitation.
And if the former comes to fruition, would you still refer to that as “that”?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Arsene Wenger coming to town.......

upthetb

Post by upthetb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 am

Keep an eye out for Gary White.

- He currently is on an 85% win ration with Taiwan (after 7 games)
- He won 1 in 2 games managing at Shanghai Shenxin (including saving them from relegation)
- Has taken all of the four (4) national teams he has managed to their highest ever FIFA World Ranking
- He made the final 3 for the shortlist for the England Under 21 job last year

Here's a recent Daily Echo article on him that sums up nicely what he has achieved up until now:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/160708 ... A_ranking/

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 am

upthetb wrote:Keep an eye out for Gary White.

- He won 1 in 2 games managing at Shanghai Shenxin (including saving them from relegation)
- Has taken all of the four (4) national teams he has managed to their highest ever FIFA World Ranking

Here's a recent Daily Echo article on him that sums up nicely what he has achieved up until now:

:) well like the old saying says, nothing to lose every thing to gain, has worked on shoe string budgets, so that would help at Ipswich, so I say let Gary have a chance, that's if ME knows about him

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:34 am

ashfordblue wrote:
upthetb wrote:Keep an eye out for Gary White.

:) well like the old saying says, nothing to lose every thing to gain, has worked on shoe string budgets, so that would help at Ipswich, so I say let Gary have a chance, that's if ME knows about him
Some might say we have something to lose.

I read the article and one thing I didn’t like about Gary White was he was describing a little bit too much how he heroically saved the club and fell out with owners because they had no ambition and now they’re not doing well without him. Just feels he’s writing his own glowing CV a little bit too hard. People over compensating themselves worries me a bit.

Plus side ... his name rhymes with Barry White so good terrace songs are very possible.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Would certainly draw the comment ‘where the **** did he come from’! But if ME’s casting his net as wide as Ian (I know nothing) Milne suggests, then who knows. Seems, however, that a decision won’t come until the season’s ended. Suggesting, presumably, that potential candidates are still heavily involved in the outcomes of current clubs. But better to take as much time as nec to get it right.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:10 pm

This is just ridiculous

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Wigan Athletic's Paul Cook is the new favourite to be Ipswich Town's next manager with Sky Bet.

Cook has gone from 20/1 to 3/1 over the course of the weekend - in which he oversaw Wigan's return to the Championship - with Lincoln City's Danny Cowley (2/1 to 4/1) and former England midfielders Steven Gerrard (4/1 to 6/1) and Frank Lampard (7/1) among those overtaken by the 51-year-old.

Given Cook' promotion expertise - he previously led Chesterfield and Portsmouth into League One - it would be little surprise to see Championship clubs such as Ipswich take an interest, despite him having never before managed above the third tier.

Although whether the Liverpudlian would consider a move from nearby Wigan to Ipswich, a four-and-a-half-hour-drive away, remains to be seen.

Other than Cook's odds shortening, there are no other changes of note where the Sky Bet market is concerned, with Tony Mowbray (8/1), Jack Ross, Maurice Steijn and Shefki Kuqi (all 10/1) still behind the leading contenders.
That's a big drop in the odds.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 pm

tangfastic wrote:People over compensating themselves worries me a bit.
Yes, I nearly tripped over my own knob in disbelief when I read it if I’m honest.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:47 pm

How accurate were the bookies with McCarthy and Jewel ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:48 pm

How good are Wigan, and how good is Cook, without Will Grigg? It’s a feckin one man show in my opinion.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Never trust a Scouser as a manager!

Thought I read that reason for Cook’s move from Pompey to ‘oop north’ was to be closer to his family. Perhaps by now he needs a break from them!

upthetb

Post by upthetb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:29 am

Bluemike wrote:This is just ridiculous
http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/taiwan-mana ... -1-5488152

Honestly, this is a top coach who would give his everything if he was given the chance.

upthetb

Post by upthetb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:30 am

marko69 wrote:
Yes, I nearly tripped over my own knob in disbelief when I read it if I’m honest.

Take a read of this when you get back up :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 am

upthetb wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Take a read of this when you get back up :D
Promotion within 2 years. :lol:
I’m sure we had a previous manager that came out with a similar comment and if I remember correctly that didn’t go quite to plan. :wink:

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 am

Not sure ME should go for someone so obviously short of confidence and belief in his own ability!

Certainly talks the talk, and has some credibility with the dreaded FA an those hotbed footballing islands. Would obviously be a huge gamble. - but there’s a risk element in with whoever gets the job. Could be the shrewdest appointment of the year......or the worst. (Probably better than Pardew, though!)

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:22 am

herforder wrote:Not sure ME should go for someone so obviously short of confidence and belief in his own ability!

Certainly talks the talk, and has some credibility with the dreaded FA an those hotbed footballing islands. Would obviously be a huge gamble. - but there’s a risk element in with whoever gets the job. Could be the shrewdest appointment of the year......or the worst. (Probably better than Pardew, though!)
Also in time ITFC could become known as the team made in Taiwan.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 am

Can’t help feel this Gary White would fall flat on his face if he was catapulted from the Far East into the Championship. Nothing to back that up apart from he’s so over-confident and a league like the Championship will flatten his ego pretty quickly. He might be better of staying a biggish fish in a smallish pond.

upthetb

Post by upthetb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:28 am

herforder wrote:Not sure ME should go for someone so obviously short of confidence and belief in his own ability!

Fair point, apart from the last part :D

upthetb

Post by upthetb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:42 am

tangfastic wrote:Can’t help feel this Gary White would fall flat on his face if he was catapulted from the Far East into the Championship. Nothing to back that up apart from he’s so over-confident and a league like the Championship will flatten his ego pretty quickly. He might be better of staying a biggish fish in a smallish pond.
When Gary was took over a team in the relegation zone in the Chinese Championship in 2016 he was only 1 of 3 teams to beat Fabio Cannavaro's team - this was a big spending team with the likes of Luís Fabiano in it. He coached against guys like Ciro Ferrara and was undefeated.

Do you think most Championship managers could turn up in China and do that with no budget (literally he didn't sign one player on loan or purchase)...

As he said, he would be honoured to become Ipswich Town Head Coach.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 am

upthetb wrote:
tangfastic wrote:Can’t help feel this Gary White would fall flat on his face if he was catapulted from the Far East into the Championship. Nothing to back that up apart from he’s so over-confident and a league like the Championship will flatten his ego pretty quickly. He might be better of staying a biggish fish in a smallish pond.
When Gary was took over a team in the relegation zone in the Chinese Championship in 2016 he was only 1 of 3 teams to beat Fabio Cannavaro's team - this was a big spending team with the likes of Luís Fabiano in it. He coached against guys like Ciro Ferrara and was undefeated.

Do you think most Championship managers could turn up in China and do that with no budget (literally he didn't sign one player on loan or purchase)...

As he said, he would be honoured to become Ipswich Town Head Coach.
Uptheb, are you Gary? :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:50 am

I seriously think this is some kind of half arsed wind up, Taiwan ffs, if he was anything he would be elsewhere and at least a few of us would have heard of him. Move on.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:22 pm

I don't know Gary White from a bar of soap and he does seem to be blowing his own trumpet rather a lot, but how many of you knew anything about Arsene Wenger when Arsenal plucked him from the fledgling J League in japan all those years ago.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Kenny Jacket, Pompey manager, the latest name in the frame.

Will resist the cheap ‘No Jacket Required’ comment. (Bugger, too late!) :wink:

Bet Victor has Paul Cook the front runner. Would personally be happy with him; but can’t see him wanting to take the managerial risk of operating under ME. Much water still to run under the bridge.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Do not recognize this White name put around. Had some success in the Far East and now being labeled as a potential candidate for the McCarthy vacancy.

As others have alluded to, if this scenario ever came to pass the difference between being involved between the two positions is so extensive, you fear it could ever be a viable alternative. Appears he likes to toot his own horn also and possess a certain degree of self-righteous arrogance that could turn fans against him. Hell it worked for Mourinho without doubt, but at this club ?

It's in the best interest of the club name to appoint someone that's aware of individual talents and humble with their own objectives, I don't want some pompous as$ given an opportunity.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:43 pm

herforder wrote:Kenny Jacket, Pompey manager, the latest name in the frame.

Will resist the cheap ‘No Jacket Required’ comment. (Bugger, too late!) :wink:

Bet Victor has Paul Cook the front runner. Would personally be happy with him; but can’t see him wanting to take the managerial risk of operating under ME. Much water still to run under the bridge.
Jesus christ ive changed my mind, let's look to Vanuatu or somewhere !!

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:36 pm

[quote="Bluemike"]I seriously think this is some kind of half arsed wind up, Taiwan ffs, if he was anything he would be elsewhere and at least a few of us would have heard of him. Move on.[/quote]

His modesty would worry me If I was ME. There is confidence and there is arrogance: I think this bloke crosses the line.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:17 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Bluemike wrote:I seriously think this is some kind of half arsed wind up, Taiwan ffs, if he was anything he would be elsewhere and at least a few of us would have heard of him. Move on.

His modesty would worry me If I was ME. There is confidence and there is arrogance: I think this bloke crosses the line.
I do too Billy and it evokes memories of that fuckwit Keane