Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Candidates for Next Manager

Cowley
15%
McClaren
4%
Grayson
1%
Mowbray
14%
Davies
No votes
Bilic
7%
Curbishly
3%
Clarke
6%
Burley
8%
Warburton
12%
Hurst
26%
Redknapp
2%
Pardew
3%

Total votes: 102

AylesburyBlue

Re: Next Manager Rumour Thread (Poll Added 2/4/2018)

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Nigel Clough
Paul Tisdale
Steve Clarke
Gus Poyet
Paul Cook
Graham Potter
Paul Hurst
Oscar Garcia

Happy with all of the above,

Kuqi
Cowley
Warburton
Sol Cambell

I would be open minded about the above.

Mclaren
Pardew
Bilic
Mcgreal
Mowbray

I would be most un impressed with the above.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 pm

You'd prefer Sol Campbell over Mowbray? Personally I'd hate to have Sol Campbell. Most opinionated pompus tw*t your likely to hear from.

I suppose it's possible he could do ok as a manager but I just don't like him personally

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 pm

charlton837 wrote:Just my opinion but I feel now is the right time to take a gamble. Gambles sometimes pay off. What's the alternative? Float around this league forever with no real chance of anything other than mid table. We will continue losing fans and that in the long run will be the most damaging thing. I'd like to take a risk on a younger manager and give them some time. IF we get relegated we will have to.revuold from within but I of course hope this doesn't happen .

In my opinion gambles rarely pay off, and furthermore if we get relegated whilst Evans runs the club, believe me it will be a disaster which we will unlikely recover from.

As I said elsewhere, look at the top 5 teams in the Championship and you will find 5 clubs which all have ambition and you won’t find a single gamble managerial appointment.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:Nigel Clough
Paul Tisdale
Steve Clarke
Gus Poyet
Paul Cook
Graham Potter
Paul Hurst
Oscar Garcia

Kuqi
Cowley
Warburton
Sol Cambell

Mclaren
Pardew
Bilic
Mcgreal
Mowbray

This is getting really worrying as i’m not seeing many better managers more suitable for the job than the one who’s just been hounded out !

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Does Paul Hurst's mindset fit the required bill then.

Go down to 10 men with leftback sent off and immediately send a striker on to take the game to the opposition.

Can't be more positive than that!

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:29 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:Nigel Clough
Paul Tisdale
Steve Clarke
Gus Poyet
Paul Cook
Graham Potter
Paul Hurst
Oscar Garcia

Kuqi
Cowley
Warburton
Sol Cambell

Mclaren
Pardew
Bilic
Mcgreal
Mowbray

Mowbray has the highest budget in that league, except for Coventry (where he flopped) he has always had a big budget. When things are going well Mowbray is fine, in adversity he crumbles

To be honest Cambell wouldn’t be in my top 5/6 by any means, but he is being linked and I believe he has a football brain.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:27 pm

Just one positive for Tony Mowbray; between 2002 & 2004, Hibs had one of their worst spells ever with Bobby Williamson. Then Mowbray took over in 04, and with virtually the same team, finished 3rd in the SPL. I know the level of opposition is different up here...... the only point I’m making is he can also take on something that is crumbling and make it into something that is winning.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:34 pm

McCarthy is apparently leading candidate to take over with Leeds United. Sounds feasible, got Yorkshire connections and obviously knows the area to a considerable extent. Must be some truth to it although their leading fans forum will require to change it's name from The Square Ball to "The Ball that remains in the air for so long during game time you get f**king neck strain"

In all seriousness what they do is their business, the aforementioned name is no longer this clubs concern, but seeing Gordon Strachan some distance down the list of potential names to come in, got to imagine they could do a lot worse that make some approaches.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:00 pm

marko69 wrote:Just one positive for Tony Mowbray; between 2002 & 2004, Hibs had one of their worst spells ever with Bobby Williamson. Then Mowbray took over in 04, and with virtually the same team, finished 3rd in the SPL. I know the level of opposition is different up here...... the only point I’m making is he can also take on something that is crumbling and make it into something that is winning.
No comment... :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Come on, ya sarcy bstd....... comment! :lol:

karlywoo

Post by karlywoo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Having watched Shrewsbury the other night i did not think they were anything special at all! so why all this "he is a great manager etc"?
I,m still for the Dutch fella Steijn, plays attractive football on a shoestring budget, has done really well over there, for me he ticks the boxes, but then again i have always liked Dutch footy, i would rather watch their National team play than ours any day of the week!
Did anyone see that twitter post of a high end Merc with Dutch plates parked outside the hotel in Town where ITFC tends to place all possible transfer players or anything to do with ITFC business, maybe nothing in it, but i would love to think it was Steijn over to take a look around etc,
And he is not on the list above? he would get my vote

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Don't recall anyone saying Hurst is a great manager.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:26 pm

karlywoo wrote:Having watched Shrewsbury the other night i did not think they were anything special at all! so why all this "he is a great manager etc"?
I,m still for the Dutch fella Steijn, plays attractive football on a shoestring budget, has done really well over there, for me he ticks the boxes, but then again i have always liked Dutch footy, i would rather watch their National team play than ours any day of the week!
Did anyone see that twitter post of a high end Merc with Dutch plates parked outside the hotel in Town where ITFC tends to place all possible transfer players or anything to do with ITFC business, maybe nothing in it, but i would love to think it was Steijn over to take a look around etc,
And he is not on the list above? he would get my vote
This high end Merc with Dutch plates is a bit tenuous, isn’t it? Theres a bloody big port link from Hook of Holland to Harwich, nearby Ipswich. Probably a businessman or drugs dealer.... or maybe McClaren held onto his Merc when he left FC Twente.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Press: Mr Steijn, are you here to talk with Mr Milne and Mr Evans on Skype?
Steijn (strong dutch accent) : Yyesss, yyesss, I am. But ...., Skype? I wasn’t told about the Skype.
Press: Yes, trust me, Mr Steijn, it’ll be on a TV that you speak with Mr Evans. So, tell us ....
Steijn: But I don’t want to talk with a TV. What kind of organisation is this?
Press: Normally football, but predominantly illegal ticketing. But anyway.... tell us Mr Steijn....,
Steijn: Illegal ticketing? I’m sorry but I want no part of this.
Press: Ok, ok, but Mr Steijn, could you just tell us .....
Steijn: No, No, I must leave. I have a boat to catch.
Press: Please, Mr Steijn, we just need to know....
Steijn: I’ve said all I want to say, I will say no more. I must leave.
Press: But Mr Steijn, we have a pressing issue here, not only in Ipswich, but in Great Britain really, we must ask.
Steijn: I will say no more, do you hear me. Not without my lawyer in these....., corrrrrrrupt surroundings!
Press: But, trust me Mr Steijn, we just need to know one thing, and no lawyer will be required.
Steijn: Ok. What is it?
Press: Why the F is there a J in your surname?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:20 pm

Did not bother to check the favorites list / leading candidates since last visit, as mentioned before it was becoming too misleading and simply going to wait until there's actual confirmation from within the club.

That Dutch person who was mentioned, something indicates that could be a worthwhile enquiry. Skeptical that it's not of the level of say Feyenoord Rotterdam or Eindhoven (essentially it's interest in a manager at a less recognized team but from another country) but looking abroad may be solution. Even if it didn't work out if he were to be appointed, the majority of the fanbase would be willing to take a chance and provide him the opportunity to achieve. Most Dutch speak good English so while perhaps something of a risk, that said, it can and will apply to any name the club decides to finally appoint.

Domhide

Post by Domhide » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:15 am

Anyone think we could wait for Gareth Southgate - he will definitely be looking for a new job in July; and since ITFC never do any business in the closed season!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:03 am

Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard is the latest name to be linked with the Town manager’s job.

According to The Sun on Sunday, Town owner Marcus Evans has “sounded out” Gerrard on whether he would be interested in succeeding Mick McCarthy via a third party.

Gerrard is currently the U18s coach at the Anfield academy but is expected to eventually step up into senior management, whether that’s now or after he has gained further coaching experience at a lower level.
Skip advertisement

The 37-year-old, pictured above in action for England against Croatia at Portman Road in 2003, was previously linked with the MK Dons, while other clubs are also said to have shown interest.

Gerrard’s England team-mate Frank Lampard is also thought to be a potential candidate for the Town job and it's understood that the ex-Chelsea and West Ham man has had some contact with the Blues regarding the role as he similarly looks to start his management career.

We understand Town have received very significant interest since McCarthy announced he would be moving on at the end of the season a fortnight ago before exiting ahead of that schedule on Tuesday.

Lincoln manager Danny Cowley is still the bookies’ favourite for the role at 2-1 with Bet Victor despite the Imps boss and his brother and assistant Nicky being close to signing new extended contracts at Sincil Bank.

Ex-Blues skipper and coach Tony Mowbray remains second-favourite at 5-1 with Shrewsbury boss Paul Hurst now third-favourite at 10-1.

Elsewhere in the Sunday tabloids, Mowbray is linked with his old job at West Brom, who have also been mentioned in connection with former Blues boss McCarthy. Another ex-Baggies manager Derek McInnes, currently at Aberdeen, is also claimed to be among the leading candidates.

Meanwhile, the Sunday People claims the Blues and Sunderland are keen on signing Reading keeper Jonathan Bond when he comes out of contract in the summer.

Bond, 24, who has been on loan at Peterborough this season, started his career with Watford and had loan spells at Brackley Town, Dagenham and Redbridge, Forest Green Rovers and Bury before joining the Royals, for whom he has made only 14 appearances in 2015.

He was with Gillingham in the first half of last season before joining Posh, for whom he has been a regular starter until recent weeks, in the summer.

Town may well be in the market for another senior keeper in the summer with Bartosz Bialkowski expected to receive interest from January suitors Crystal Palace among others.

However, with the management situation unlikely to be resolved until the summer, links with players should currently be taken with a pinch of salt.

***GULP***

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:20 am

Anyone see, or see highlights of the Scottish Cup Semi Final yesterday?

Yes, fk off, McInnes. Stay away from Portman Road.

Regards Gerrard or Lampard? That’s just scaremongering imo. That’ll be the type of tabloid that’s speculating Trump, May and Putin all had a threesome last night.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:40 am

Scary the thought of Gerard and Lampard being linked. Big names from the PL with no managerial experience .... chalk and cheese to what awaits at Portman Road.

They can always go back to the well-paid pundit sofa after they’ve f*cked up a club.

Don’t like the fact Harry Redknapp could be consulted as a mate of Evans, especially as his nephew is Lampard.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:14 pm

I’d be nervous if we got Gerrard. It’s not impossible that he could do a good job but completely unproven and I think after the Roy Keane days many town fans wouldn’t know how to feel about this. I do think Gerrard has a much better temperament than Keane but there’s no doubt this would be a huge risk and would put national spotlight on Ipswich, do we really need that at the moment?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:14 pm

:shock: Fook it, Bring back Joe Royale, Gerrard's like the tw*t Keane does not like blue, whereas Joe Loves Blue, with a fair bit of backing Joe could get us up into the Premiership.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm not sure I'd want my club to be the guinea pig for Gerrard's management development. It sounds sexy when you first read it, and I hate to say I did get the horn when Keane was appointed...but we all know how that turned out. If ME is a smart businessman, he should approach the replacement of MM the same way he'd replace a CEO in his corporation. I don't think he'd want an unproven manager with zero experience taking over the position. :roll:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:16 pm

ashfordblue wrote::shock: Fook it, Bring back Joe Royale, Gerrard's like the tw*t Keane does not like blue, whereas Joe Loves Blue, with a fair bit of backing Joe could get us up into the Premiership.
Great manager that he was, Ash, I think Joe Royle is too old now and happily settled in the north-west.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 am

Joe Royle won't be coming back. Don't see what he gets up to now but would imagine has retired from any capacity within the game. Furthermore the team he was involved with back then was of different caliber from the squad of today and had only been absent from the EPL for two or three years. The idea he could come back in 2018 and undertake responsibilities a second time around with a completely different set-up (i.e. no Sheepshanks to confide in, only an obscure name who seems oblivious more often than not to what is occurring at the club) seems so improbable have trouble even putting it to print.

Someone mentioned Steven Gerrard, take it they're serious but 100 per cent against the idea. First off possesses no real managerial experience, would be too young for such a vacancy and while doubtless was a fine player, as a long standing ex-follower of a rival team, would seem simply inappropriate. This will surely not come to pass, whether people are for, or against, such a scenario.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:16 am

saint jude wrote:...., as a long standing ex-follower of a rival team, would seem simply inappropriate. This will surely not come to pass, whether people are for, or against, such a scenario.
Aveda exfoliating cream from Jenners in Edinburgh! THATS what I was forgetting that the wife asked me to pick up for her. My God, if you hadn’t once been a supporter of Everton FC then switched to Ipswich, and then subsequently, if ex Liverpool Gerrard hadn’t been linked witn the Ipswich post, I’d have forgotten that! Cheers Saint!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:36 am

I wouldn't want Joe Roylel back anyway. Did a decent job at the time he was here and we played pretty gung ho football but why go back to a manager that has already been here and ultimately left? We need to move forwards, not backwards. I rarely like it when managers go back to clubs.

Burley, Royle - No thank you, id be really disappointed if we did that and I don't see it happening at all. Having someone like that involved in the club in the background, that's a different story and id welcome that if the new manager felt it would help him.

I want something completely new, someone who has not been there and done it in this league, someone who has the hunger to succeed and show that they are/can be a good manager. As I said earlier on would I want Gerrard, no I don't think so however if he were appointed id be happier with that than some of the old names cropping up. Gerrard could do a good job, or he could do a terrible one, we just don't know, Roy Keane was different, his temperament just doesn't suit management in my opinion, Gerrard comes across as much more of a decent human being than Roy Keane, he has not jumped into management and is taking his time to find the right club at the right time, he wanted to learn a bit of management by working with Liverpool U18's before he goes into senior management.

This is not me saying I want him as I think that may be a bigger risk than we really need to take, I think he should go take on a league 1/2 team and see how he does there first but certainly ive heard names id want less than him! For me it still has to be someone like Hurst or Jones, they would be my first choices if we could get one of them.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:53 am

With all due respect, Charlton, (and I mean that because your posts are very much valued) ...., I just can’t seem to get onboard with this “completely new to the championship” idea. Worries me slightly. I think it’s because I lean just ever so slightly to the negative, and feel that potentially dropping to League 1 would be disastrous. ITFC just wouldn’t do a Southampton, Norwich or maybe Blackburn and bounce back. I’d fear a mid table Walsall-like club for YEARS!

But anyway........ all that aside. Young and hungry managers. ALEX NEIL. Great football brain and with him having a mental Scottish mentality, he will SOOOOOO want to get one over on his previous employers. Get him to ITFC from Preston. Regarding the budget, he took Hamilton Accies from mid table Championship to the Play-offs then masterminded defeating Hibs to gain SPL status. Forget the level (that’s for you 9, ya bas! :D ) ..... the budget is relative.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 pm

This thread is to say the least entertaining for its comedy value. None of us have a clue who is going to take charge and a new name pops up daily to be mulled over, the latest being Gerrard. I have also read that ME may be seeking the advice of Woy Hodgson who probably can't pronounce Gewward anyway. Asking Woy and Arry Redknob, god only knows who they might come up with. Probably Stuart Pearce or some other tried and tested has-been.

All good fun.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:16 pm

With you all the way Charlton, no to Royle or any other Town old boy for that matter, i will be really disappointed if we go down that route and for me Gerrard is a massive gamble which we can ill afford to take for reasons Marko points out. Like you Hurst or Jones would be the way i would go and yes still a bit of a gamble but both are proving themselves to be very astute managers

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:37 pm

whatever we do next is a gamble, weve already taken one in getting rid of someone who would keep us up every year. Its all about taking the most calculated gamble on who next.

Marko - I get what your saying but if the right person is taken on it could have a very positive effect. I know you mention Alex Neil (I wouldn't want him...) but had he not gone to Norwich and done well there would you recommend him? Probably not judging by other untested Scottish managers (the one at Ross County that was linked being an example). What im getting at is that Norwich gave him a chance, and now we have seen at Preston hes done very well considering the low budget he has.

It can be a positive, but the owner needs to do his research and get a feel for them, they have to be the right fit and its so important we get this right. If were going to change lets change, lets start a new project and do it together. Whilst I agree if we got relegated it could well be tough, its not out of the realms of possibility we could come back up, look at some of the teams challenging in league 1, your not telling me we couldn't compete with them if we had the right manager. I don't want to get relegated but I don't buy this if we did we will definitely be Coventry in the next few years. We could do yes but for me its anything but certain.