Ipswich vs Milwall Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Any Chance for Points?

Ipswich Win
No votes
Millwall Win
57%
Draw
43%

Total votes: 7

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich vs Milwall Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:14 pm

saint jude wrote:Prepared to wait for individuals to provide the obligatory post-game report to gain relevant information on what occurred today.
I say old chap, spiffing idea....... me too! :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Enjoyable game. Nice to see Folami on.... some nice touches early in the half... and at 18 he looks like over the next couple of years could develop into quite a physical presence.

Bart pulled on some heroics at the end, along with some desperate defending and poor Millwall finishing.

Thought Chambo and Skuse put everything into that performance.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:01 pm

tangfastic wrote:Enjoyable game. Nice to see Folami on.... some nice touches early in the half... and at 18 he looks like over the next couple of years could develop into quite a physical presence.

Bart pulled on some heroics at the end, along with some desperate defending and poor Millwall finishing.

Thought Chambo and Skuse put everything into that performance.
Folami will not have that fosil MM knocking his confidence, hopefully the new manager will inspire the younger players to push on hard and allow them to play in the 1st team.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:02 pm

As home games go that was positively outstanding, an exciting end to end game with plenty of chances, goals at BOTH ends, genuine commitment from the Town players, a good atmosphere inside the ground and a very impressive debut from young Ben Folami all contributed for a good afternoons entertainment for a change. A starting line up which contained Waghorn, Celina & Carayol was also a positive move by MM, while Knudsen was moved into the back Three which is is by far his best position with young kenlock in the Left Wing back role.

Town came out of the blocks from the first minute and were looking to get forward right from the off and could well have been ahead inside Ten minutes as waghorn was denied twice by a double save from Archer when the striker looked odds on to score. It had been a very good start by Town, so different to what we witnessed at Birmingham on saturday, the quality of the passing too was not something we have become accustomed to. Millwall had failed to get into their stride and had not troubled our defence at all, until that is we decide to start faffing around with it in our own area and were so nearly punished for it as Bart and Chambers tried theri best to give Millwall the lead, quite what Bart was thinking god only knows but he atoned for his errors. Shortly afterwards Portman Road was on its feet as Mustapha Carayol hit a rasping drive from distance which didnt quite dip enough and sailed just over the bar. Town were to pay for not taking one of the early chances that had come their way and some sloppy defending was again the catalyst for us going behind. Marshall had been lively all game and was given way too much space as he raced down the Town right and allowed to pick out a pinpoint cross to the back post where the lanky Cooper had the easiest of headers to give them an undeserved lead, it was their first real effort at goal but again we failed to defend it with kenlock & knudsen easily outjumped and who really didnt make themselves enough of a presence.

The goal seemed to change the pattern of the game and it was Millwall who now had their tails up, yet again Town seemed to lose confidence in themselves and stopped doing the basics, one or two half chances fell Millwall's way before the whistle but nothing to seriously bother Bart. I thought for the most part we had played well and took the game to them for the opening 20-25 minutes, Celina had struggled to get too involved while Carayol had shown flashes but again was being well marshalled. At the back we had stood pretty firm and Knudsen is definitely better at CB as we all know while kenlock had did ok in the LWB slot. Skuse had been much more lively than he was at Birmingham but Gleeson was a bit anonymous at times.

The second half started with Ben Folami making his league debut in place of the slightly unfortunate Kenlock as Town switched to a 4-4-2 formation with Folami up top alongside waghorn. As with the first half Town came out flying and looked to get back on level terms immediately, Folami wasted no time in catching the eye with some decent touches which he did with the assurance of a seasoned pro. It wasn't long before Town deservedly equalised, first Skuse saw his shot blocked by Archer before an almighty scramble resulted in first Folami trying to stab the ball before Waghorn did just that, at the time I must admit I thought it was the kids goal but Waghorn got the crucial touch as he tucked it away, Millwall complained the keeper had been fouled but thankfully for once we got the decision. just like Buses no sooner do we get one goal and along comes another, waghorn again the scorer, this time he read a weak back pass superbly before rounding Archer and stroking the ball from a tight angle, it was quite a turnaround as the North stand erupted in the kind of celebration that used to be the norm, the place was rocking and loud like the old days which was lovely to see.

Town never do things easily though and back came the Lions, the equaliser seemed to come out of nowhere as bart was forced into a good save before the onrushing Millwall player latched onto the loose ball before despatching passed the stranded Bart, 2-2 and very much game on. it had turned into a really exciting end to end scrap, similar to the 4-3 at the den back in Auguist, millwall knew they ahd to win it and were throwing men forward in crazy numbers, Town were noe starting to get pinned back but were still looking likely themselves on the break. Gregory missed a sitter at one end before Chambo tried his luck at the other, it was frenetic but very exciting stuff. With the clock ticking down Millwall came so close to grabbing a third, bart pulling off a great save to defy Gregory and from the rebound the Millwall player fired it against the post, quite a let off for the home team. As the game entered added on time there was still time for bart to pull off another cracking save as Millwall were going for broke, others efforts flew high and wide of the town goal which was living a charmed life in the dying moments but Town saw it out to claim what for me was a well deserved point.

Why the hell can we not have had that type of entertainment every week ? OK we didnt win the game but it kinda felt like we did as I made my way home, total commitment from the boys and some decent football at times too, fair play to Millwall, they made a game of it too and are no mugs for sure, the ground had a really good feel about it too, maybe in the knowledge that Mick is going who knows but it felt like it used to feel week in week out. I have to give a special mention to young Ben Folami who I thought looked very very good indeed, he has a lovely first touch, he didnt waste a ball, was strong in the challenge and laid off some nice passes, his runs and movement are very mature for one so young and he caused problems in the Millwall box on several occasions, without labouring the point Freddie sears could do well to watch what the kid did, we definitely have a nother player on our hands here and it was no surprise how much it improved Waghorn's game with another lively striker beside him.

Bart (8) Spence (6) Chambers (7) Webster (6) Knudsen (7) Kenlock (6) Gleeson (6) Skuse (7) Carayol (6) Celina (6) Waghorn (7)

SUBS :- Folami (7) Hyam (6) Ward (6)

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Everything about this afternoon was the polar opposite of the Hull fiasco - something Luke Chambers spoke passionately about in today’s match programme. What he said was spot on.

Mike’s excellent report gives the detail of how, what was an entertaining affair, unfolded. Ben Folami’s intruduction and performance was cause for real optimism, whilst moving to 4-4-2 to match up Millwall was sensible tactics by MM. For his overall performance, firstly as the lone striker, then paired with Folami and for scoring both our goals I would have given Waggy 8.
It was a good team performance, and the hard fought point well deserved - albeit that, at the death, it was Bart v Millwall

But for me this afternoon confirmed that the biggest single influence on supporters’ attitudes, willingness to support, and wanting to support, is what takes place on the pitch. Today a bit of welcome balance and sense was achieved.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 pm

That certainly beat staying at home doing the dusting :lol: and no Marko cleaning the oven is definitely the better half’s job!
Yes we could have conceded a hatful but at least we attempted to win the game and had several chances to score more goals ourselves. As fans that is all we ask, we know we are not the best team in the division and probably not good enough yet to mount a serious playoff challenge over the course of a season but we can cause teams problems if we have more belief in ourselves.
Hallam and bluemike asked me before the game if due to the change of manager I would consider purchasing a season ticket again next season? My answer was “I don’t know”, it would depend on who we appointed. What I really want to get back is the feeling of enjoyment of going to a game, whether we win, lose or draw. At the end of the game today I walked out of the stadium thinking I really enjoyed watching that.
Hopefully I will have the same feeling at the end of the game on Saturday at Griffin Park whatever the result.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:24 am

Caught some game highlights and seems the team were fortunate to an extent, as the opposition saw a number of chances in the final third to claim victory, add to that Bialkowski again put on something of a show and without his presence the team could easily have taken nothing from today.

Took a moment to gain reaction on TWTD and people are right in saying if the team showed the same determination and commitment (on occasion) as today in enough games we could make a proper impact on the season. Unfortunately consistency has been few and far between and attacking names haven't developed as they should. Would hope whoever is appointed when it occurs to make the players aware of their potential and to emphasize there's no fear to be had in attacking opposition defenses.

Got a goalkeeper of merit, some forward names that need that extra belief to score consistently enough to maintain it and an eager fanbase. Today provided some degree of enthusiasm but not naïve enough to accept the club is not without it's problems. Expect a busy summer, whoever is appointed has some considerable work to undertake, the only way is onward.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:48 am

Was a great game

Think everybody enjoyed that but that pitch honestly is a disgrace. No idea whats going on but its not all because of the weather. Its bumpy, its not playing true.

Just another thing the club need sorting out before next season

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:18 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:Was a great game

Think everybody enjoyed that but that pitch honestly is a disgrace. No idea whats going on but its not all because of the weather. Its bumpy, its not playing true.

Just another thing the club need sorting out before next season
Regarding the pitch, you would think it would be in better condition considering how much sh*t has been on it? :lol:

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:32 pm

I remember when that pitch used to be the toast of the leagues not a better playing surface anwhere else.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Milne said the pitch has suffered because there were 9 games played on it in January , whilst the weather was also affecting the pitch . He said there would normally have only been 3 games played on the pitch during that month.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:Milne said the pitch has suffered because there were 9 games played on it in January , whilst the weather was also affecting the pitch . He said there would normally have only been 3 games played on the pitch during that month.
Thankfully he never used the word ‘football’!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:30 pm

:lol: Derick! Nice.

Remember back in 09 when the club won a “great pitch” award then immediately had plans to allow rugby to be played on it. Some World Cup warm up sh*t. Thankfully that didn’t happen.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:Milne said the pitch has suffered because there were 9 games played on it in January , whilst the weather was also affecting the pitch . He said there would normally have only been 3 games played on the pitch during that month.
Just goes to prove what a pathetic moron he really is.
There have not been anything like 9 games in recent Januarys, yet still the pitch has been awful.
Such a shame that a playing surface commonly held to be the best in the country for so long has now turned into what it has - I'm guessing that lack of investment from ME into the maintenance of the pitch is the real cause.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:08 pm

rossi wrote:
Just goes to prove what a pathetic moron he really is.
There have not been anything like 9 games in recent Januarys, yet still the pitch has been awful.
Such a shame that a playing surface commonly held to be the best in the country for so long has now turned into what it has - I'm guessing that lack of investment from ME into the maintenance of the pitch is the real cause.
Few years back few of us went on one of those stadium tours. Have gone on a few now and every time have been the tour guide has said same thing. The west stand roof has plans to be changed into similar material has the South stand. And also since adding tiers to both North and South stands this has altered the air flow inside the stadium

The sun during December to end of March does not get high enough to cover the whole pitch, so this plastic like material will allow sun rays in to help the situation. Saying this we won i believe best pitch award 3 out of 4 years after the two end stands were built.

For years now down the west side of the pitch been damn awful. ME, get the roof sorted then could take more tax off rest of your companies maybe, possibly don't you think?