Brentford FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Who will Bee the Winner huh?

Brentford Win
38%
Ipswich Win
38%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 8

Frosty
Forum Owner

Brentford FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Image Brentford v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 7th April 2018 – 15:00

Griffin Park

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

I find it quite incredible and maybe just a little bit annoying too that no sooner do we have the manager's departure confirmed and we are served up a home game that can be classed as entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable. Why the hell has this not been the norm over recent months ? Everything about Easter Monday was positive and people left the ground with a smile on their faces for once, OK some are probably just glad that mick is going but the fare on offer left most home games this season trailing in its wake. I just find it all a little bit annoying if I am honest, everyone is talking about which manager they want and who is a reasonable target that could do the job on a budget and lo and behold we get served up that performance which OK didnt win the game but it sure as hell felt good leaving the ground for once !! Why are we in this position, it makes little sense but in it we are and there is no going back, I get that One swallow does not make a Summer but I can't help thinking what might have been. I have to say the Two games against Millwall this season have probably been the best Two, end to end encounters with numerous chances and a hatfull of goals across the Two games.

Manager talk is now the order of the day and we all have our own ideas on that score, for me some of the names being bandied about border on the ridiculous and very worrying too, I mean Alan Pardew ? Shefki Kuqi ? Steve McLaren ? Billy Davies etc etc dreadful, then we get the Town old boy syndrome, Mowbray, Magilton, Burley, Holland and McGreal have all had a mention....NO THANKS to any of them !!! After that we get the guy Steijn or whatever his name is, ive read comments how he would be good for us, how the hell does anyone know ? Just spouting words and clutching at straws if you ask me. Then we get the uninspiring options, Grayson, Curbishley, Redknapp, Pearson and Warburton, OK a couple of those may be half decent options but they don't fill me with any excitement, if we are insisting on change then let's go for it and change it !!! A new direction and a manager with fresh ideas and thoughts, Danny Cowley keeps getting a mention but we are fed up with direct Football right ? Jack Ross from St.Mireen ????? I mean come on, this is ITFC for crying out loud, Cook may be hard to prise away as Wigan are looking to get promotion, forget him. of all the names mentioned I astill come back to Two, Paul Hurst or Nathan Jones, yes Hurst is vying for promotion too but if Town can't poach a manager from Shrewsbury we may as well, and with the greatest respect to the Shrews, pack up !! Jones is in League Two so again that must be a decent target even if they do go up, those are my Two from all the names out there at the moment and both play good passing football, my ideal candidate would be Paul Hurst, get it done Evans.

I don't think any player is bigger than the club and it seems clear to me that Bart is now wavering on signing his contract, whether he is waiting on offers from the Prem or whether it is to see who comes in as Manager I don't know but I don't like it, then today Jonas Knudsen spouting off about he may have to think Twice about his future and if he will sign another deal, well guess what Knudsen, jog on fella cus you are crap, this is the best news to come out of the club in weeks and while Bart would be a loss we need to get a good fee for him while we can and with only another year left on his contract we need to sell him now, it would not be the end of the world as some may think, there are many good keepers out there who can actually kick and catch as well as make great saves.

This week sees us head to Brentford, one of my favourite away days for sure, again we are sold out and the Griffin pub will be awash with Blue & White as always, not to mention the streets outside too, decent beer and a fab BBQ dishing up lovely Burgers, add to that standing in a proper terracing with a real atmosphere, this is what away days are about, and oh yes the Football, I nearly forgot that, Brentford are a good side and play it on the deck so this will be tough to get anything from it but we are capable, I read we may give some more youngsters game time which is fine by me, young Folami looked the real deal and would love to see him again along with Drinan who so far has not had a chance to shine, either way it will be a good test for the boys, more of what we saw Monday will do very nicely thanks. COYB'S.

The Opposition - Brentford

Founded on 10 October 1889, at the Oxford and Cambridge Hotel in Brentford where a meeting was held, between the members of the Brentford Rowing Club, to decide between association football or rugby union, to serve as a winter pursuit for the rowing club and its members. As a result of a vote, by 8 votes to 5, taken 6 days later, association football was successful as the sport to partake in.

The football club started out playing its home matches at the Clifden House Ground in Brentford, from November 1889 to March 1892.

In October 1892, Benn's Field in Little Ealing, was the club's new home. The football club decided to move nearer to Brentford and in December 1894 they moved to Shotter's and stayed there until April 1898. Due to high rent increases, the club were once again forced to move on, so in September 1898 the club moved to the Cross Roads Ground, in Little Ealing and this was used until April 1900.

As the club grew, Boston Park Cricket Ground, in York Road, Brentford was then used from September 1900 to April 1904. Finally, in January 1904, the club agreed a 21-year lease on an orchard. The clearance of the orchard, over 200 trees, and the levelling of the land took several months. Griffin Park, as it became known was now ready for use as a football ground after banking was raised along three sides of the ground and an enclosure, moved from their previous ground, was erected.

In 1920, it was a founder member of the Third Division South. During the late 1920s and 1930s, the club began to make real progress. In the 1929–30 season, the side won all 21 of its home matches in the Third Division South, but still missed out on promotion. They are the last of six teams in English football to amass a perfect home record, and the only one to do so over a season of 42 matches or more. After several more near-misses, promotion to the Second Division was finally achieved in 1932–33.

Two years later, Brentford reached the First Division and finished 5th in its debut season which is still the club's highest ever league.

The club was relegated in the first season after the War, and a downward spiral set in, which culminated in relegation to the Third Division in 1953–54 and the Fourth Division in 1961–62. In the process Brentford became the first team to play the other ninety-one clubs in league football.

The survival of Brentford FC was threatened by a projected takeover by Queens Park Rangers in the late 1960s, a bid that was only narrowly averted with an emergency loan of £104,000.

The club continued to yo-yo between the third and fourth divisions during the next three decades. The club won promotion in 1962–63, 1971–72 and 1977–78 but only on the final occasion was it able to consolidate its place in English football's third tier.

After a 45-year absence, Brentford were promoted back to the Second Division (renamed the First Division with the advent of the Premier League in 1992) in the 1991–92 season as Third Division champions, though they were relegated again the following year.

There followed several seasons of the club narrowly missing out on promotionvia the play-offs.

The club were then relegated to the Third Division (by then the bottom division of the Football League) the following year. Brentford won promotion as champions again in 1998–99.

Former BBC Director-General and Bees fan Greg Dyke was announced as chairman of Brentford on 20 January 2006 as part of the takeover by Bees United, the Brentford Supporters Trust.

Brentford were relegated to Football League Two in April 2007.

On 25 April 2009 Brentford sealed the League Two championship under Management of former player Andy Scott.
Scott's excellent first calendar year in charge was recognised with an award, the BBC London 'Manager of the Year 2008'. Scott was also awarded the League Two Manager of the Month award for April/May 2009.

At the end of the 2011/12 season, in which the Club finished 9th in League One missing out on the play-offs by 6 points, the club's supporters voted to sell the entire club's shareholding to supporter-investor Matthew Benham.

The 2012–13 season saw Brentford go on an FA Cup run, taking holders Chelsea to a fourth round replay, and mount a promotion challenge, missing out on automatic promotion on the final day of the season before losing the playoff final to Yeovil Town.

On the 25 June 2013, Cliff Crown was elected Chairman Of Brentford Football Club.

18 April 2014 Brentford were promoted to the Championship after they beat Preston 1–0 at Griffin Park in front of 10,774 people sparking a pitch invasion. This meant The Bees' return to second tier after a 21 year absence.

In the 2014/15 season they impressed and finished in one place ahead of Town on the final table in 5th, before being knocked out in the playoff semi finals by Middlesbrough.

They didn’t achieve the same heights of the 2014/15, finishing in 9th place on the table in 15/16 and last season they finished in 10th place with 84 points.

The Gaffer – Dean Smith

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Same again says Waghorn

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/i ... 22530.html

Burley's verdict on who should be next..................

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ipswi ... agers-job/

Form Guide

Brentford Last 5 Matches – Currently in 11th place with 58 points

10 Mar Millwall 1 - 0 Brentford

13 Mar Brentford 1 - 3 Cardiff City

17 Mar Brentford 1 - 1 Middlesbrough

30 Mar Brentford 1 - 1 Sheffield Utd

2 Apr Bristol City 0 - 1 Brentford

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 13th place with 53 points

10 Mar Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Sheffield Utd

13 Mar Ipswich Town 0 - 3 Hull City

17 Mar Bristol City 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

31 Mar Birmingham City 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

2 Apr Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Millwall

Fixtures of Interest that may affect Towns standing on the Table

FULHAM VS LEEDS UTD

NORWICH CITY VS ASTON VILLA

Match Referee –

BRENTFORD 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

arana peligrosa

Re: Brentford FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:22 am

There is very little in the season on the field remaining to fight for. You could argue finishing in as high a position as possible would be foremost in people's objectives, but it's the promotion places where you want to be at.

Voted on home victory. They got a small chance of reaching the top six as is stands whereas it's out of our reach now so would expect them to really go for it and attack in numbers. Bialkowski should have a busy afternoon and would expect them to at least register something.

Found an interesting article from their main fan page that provided a comprehensive preview and additional information for traveling fans that will doubtless be of interest. See link provided.

Brentford 2 Ipswich 0

http://beesotted.com/ipswich-preview-an ... g-goodbye/

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks both Mike for the preview and Saint for that link......, both excellent reads.

K-nood-zen needs to “think twice about his future”? Since the very first time this guy was witnessed on SKYTV, I thought the same. Maybe football isn’t your thing, Jonas.

Away win for ITFC in this. That’s been an entire week of pressure being lifted off everyone’s back...... training has no doubt been more relaxed, and Mick will be instructing them to just go out there and enjoy themselves, without the apprehension. 1-3 ITFC win. They’re very much capable. Hopefully that pans out for the sold out ITFC away support.

REF / Dean Smith Caption:

Ref: Oh fuuuuuuuk. I forgot the deodorant this morning.
Dean: Yes. I believe you did forget you mingin git!

Opposition Brentford pic caption;

Right fkers, I’M in charge of the Brentford Union Jack today....... I’m wearing my combats.

PS: Happy Birthday, Shed on Tour.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:48 pm

marko69 wrote:Thanks both Mike for the preview and Saint for that link......, both excellent reads.

K-nood-zen needs to “think twice about his future”? Since the very first time this guy was witnessed on SKYTV, I thought the same. Maybe football isn’t your thing, Jonas.

Away win for ITFC in this. That’s been an entire week of pressure being lifted off everyone’s back...... training has no doubt been more relaxed, and Mick will be instructing them to just go out there and enjoy themselves, without the apprehension. 1-3 ITFC win. They’re very much capable. Hopefully that pans out for the sold out ITFC away support.

Right fkers, I’M in charge of the Brentford Union Jack today....... I’m wearing my combats.

If that's the case Marko, they could at least learn to hang the flag properly. The Union Jack is upside down!!!

That's a pet hate of mine..

Really shows just how peeved i am when all i can say is fly the flag right way up ffs

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
marko69 wrote:Thanks both Mike for the preview and Saint for that link......, both excellent reads.

If that's the case Marko, they could at least learn to hang the flag properly. The Union Jack is upside down!!!

That's a pet hate of mine..

Really shows just how peeved i am when all i can say is fly the flag right way up ffs
So many people get this wr9ng don’t they!

In olden days it was a sign of distress and an “ SOS” for help , I believe!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Obviously have no need for a British flag, but maybe asked before and (again) wondered by Wales is omitted from the Union Jack. You got Scotland and England represented (covering Northern Ireland also would assume) but nothing to associate the Welsh on the design. Their own country design with the Dragon is impressive, but always felt they should have been represented on the British design in some capacity. Just a minor query, we'll let it rest.

Best wishes also Shed on Tour for the birthday event. Hopefully the team can put on a show tomorrow for some belated gift.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:06 pm

saint jude wrote:Obviously have no need for a British flag, but maybe asked before and (again) wondered by Wales is omitted from the Union Jack. You got Scotland and England represented (covering Northern Ireland also would assume) but nothing to associate the Welsh on the design. Their own country design with the Dragon is impressive, but always felt they should have been represented on the British design in some capacity. Just a minor query, we'll let it rest.

Best wishes also Shed on Tour for the birthday event. Hopefully the team can put on a show tomorrow for some belated gift.
Thanks SJ.
Going tomorrow and if the team put in a similar performance to last Monday's then I will be happy whatever the result.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:58 pm

Maybe that’s what’s wrong witn Dean Smith in his photo, S&J. He’s as irritated as you!

“Look at that pr*ck in his combats and upside down flag!” :D

Didn’t realise it was a distress call of old, Hallam. You’d have to hope that the emergency services knew this also.

“THEY'VE ALL DROWNED?! WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU ALL DOING?”
“Nothing. We didn’t realise.”
“THEIR UNION JACK WAS UPSIDE DOWN FOR GODS SAKE!”

Speaking of the olden days, Hallam....., my granddaughter said to me the other day,
“In the olden days when you were young, Papa, did you have a mobile phone?”

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:13 pm

saint jude wrote:Obviously have no need for a British flag, but maybe asked before and (again) wondered by Wales is omitted from the Union Jack. You got Scotland and England represented (covering Northern Ireland also would assume) but nothing to associate the Welsh on the design. Their own country design with the Dragon is impressive, but always felt they should have been represented on the British design in some capacity. Just a minor query, we'll let it rest.

Not wishing to get away from the ever so exciting football but the reason why nothing to represent the welsh is because the Union Flag (Jack) was designed after the invasion of Wales in 1282. So the welsh came under the St Georges flag which was then was known as the Kingdom of England including Wales..

anyway back to the footy :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Before going back to the footy, ...., a funny, completely bevvied conversation back in 96 after the England 2 Scotland 0 Euros game, in the now no longer, Bentleys Bar...... some guy from Falkirk decided to start up a conversation about ancient Britain, England, Scotland, Union Jack, Braveheart, Freedom and all that Shyte, etc etc....., but he then started asking questions, like some sort of medieval pub quiz......
To my best mate, and best man, Big Marky, “So if Cromwell hadnt been there at that moment in time, do you know what would’ve happened?”
Big Marky, “I couldn’t give a f*ck, mate.”
:lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:03 am

marko69 wrote:Before going back to the footy, ...., a funny, completely bevvied conversation back in 96 after the England 2 Scotland 0 Euros game, in the now no longer, Bentleys Bar...... some guy from Falkirk decided to start up a conversation about ancient Britain, England, Scotland, Union Jack, Braveheart, Freedom and all that Shyte, etc etc....., but he then started asking questions, like some sort of medieval pub quiz......
To my best mate, and best man, Big Marky, “So if Cromwell hadnt been there at that moment in time, do you know what would’ve happened?”
Big Marky, “I couldn’t give a f*ck, mate.”
:lol:
That is exactly the type of reply I would have given too !!! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:19 am

Up and raring to go.....Love Brentford Away.....COYB'S......Get into 'em.....f*ck em up......

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:37 am

Steve and Jo wrote:

Not wishing to get away from the ever so exciting football but the reason why nothing to represent the welsh is because the Union Flag (Jack) was designed after the invasion of Wales in 1282. So the welsh came under the St Georges flag which was then was known as the Kingdom of England including Wales..

anyway back to the footy :)
Bit rough on the Welsh, but its bloody difficult to draw the dragon on the flag? Nice design, but bloody impossible to replicate properly if you’ve got a bed sheet and some crayons.

I always thought the reason was because England, Scotland and Ireland were Kingdoms and Wales was a Principality ... which seems in line with the 1282 explanation.

Back to the footy.... 3-1 to Brentford.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Another disappointing day as a town fan.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Feel sorry for the away supporters. Mick cant be bothered anymore. Will set us up to defend until the end of the season. Dont waste anymore cash watching this bull. Get him out now.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:11 pm

For the first time in my life, I don't give a sh*t about the results. Stop the season now please :shock:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Lost to a penalty..The only report I've heard was it was dull..See goal machine Sears was on again. :cry:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:13 pm

nicscreamer wrote:For the first time in my life, I don't give a sh*t about the results. Stop the season now please :shock:
I think you may be speaking on behalf of everyone, Dee.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:35 pm

I hope we don't spend the remainder of the season looking up the canaries' arse!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Don't know why I'm bothering responding to today's game. Call it loyality, call it being involved with the club for so many years now, f*ck knows enough people have lost interest and they can't be disputed. Obviously a game of zero importance but caught some response from TWTD (and caught brief highlights) and once again we're in familiar territory.

That being, we never really created enough to trouble the opposition, if not for Bialkowski the difference could have been greater, and all said another example was evident of lack of creativity and ideas. The penalty incident was absurd, pity the designated match official had the same vision capacity as Mr Magoo, and all else appears the players had already booked summer vacations and to hell in trying to get anything out of today's game. The chances of the club winning another fixture in the remaining games of this season could meet the same odds as one of the leading managerial candidates.

Pity we got to tolerate McCarthy's as* for the last few weeks ahead, he should have left at the end and made the short trip to Heathrow Airport and got on the first flight to Easter Island to meet up with his f**king ancestors.. Applaud those who took the time to travel for this game, shame the team decided once again to underachieve. Will read Mach Polish's game report if and when it arrives but don't suppose they'll be many inconsistencies in the above.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:53 am

saint jude wrote:Don't know why I'm bothering responding to today's game. Call it loyality, call it being involved with the club for so many years now, f*ck knows enough people have lost interest and they can't be disputed. Obviously a game of zero importance but caught some response from TWTD (and caught brief highlights) and once again we're in familiar territory.

That being, we never really created enough to trouble the opposition, if not for Bialkowski the difference could have been greater, and all said another example was evident of lack of creativity and ideas. The penalty incident was absurd, pity the designated match official had the same vision capacity as Mr Magoo, and all else appears the players had already booked summer vacations and to hell in trying to get anything out of today's game. The chances of the club winning another fixture in the remaining games of this season could meet the same odds as one of the leading managerial candidates.

Pity we got to tolerate McCarthy's as* for the last few weeks ahead, he should have left at the end and made the short trip to Heathrow Airport and got on the first flight to Easter Island to meet up with his f**king ancestors.. Applaud those who took the time to travel for this game, shame the team decided once again to underachieve. Will read Mach Polish's game report if and when it arrives but don't suppose they'll be many inconsistencies in the above.

SJ ...... Marko's fired! ....... You can do the Caption contest next season.

That's was very clever :-)

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 am

[img][/img]
Hes just a muppet

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:37 am

Bookies now giving 5/1 on them being appointed as joint management tieam. Cheaper than the Crowleys, and easier to get blood out of a stone than an offensive line-up out MM!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:18 am

number 9 wrote:I hope we don't spend the remainder of the season looking up the canaries' arse!

I have s horrible feeling we might well do simply due to the fact that McCarthy is staying so he doesn’t lose ( apparently) £200k Pay . Someone on twtd stayed that , @ Micks desk was cleared on Tuesday, but Evans said if he left the Club before the end of the season he wouldn’t get the £200k . McCarthy won’t walk away as is not willing to give Evans that satisfaction. A strong case of war if the egos I think.
Problem is McCarthy will now be the complete arse that he is. Yesterday’s game being a classic example. ALL the creative players sat in the bench! The game was s carbon copy of the boring affairs we witnessed vs Bristol and Brum , whereby Town players haven’t got a scooby- doo what to do once they get the ball to the half day at line. Boring , predictable clap trap is the only way to describe Towns performances.
McCarthy ISNT BOTHERED , the players remain loyal to their manager. The fans are divided amongst themselves about McCarthy and it shows.

The season cannot end soon enough. Personally I can’t see ya winning another game. We will now finish well below the scum and THAT is McCarthys parting shot at the fans - the barsteward !!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:43 am

I guess giving youngsters game time is a bit too risky for Mick.

Mick seems to be a bit too comfortable with 0-1 defeats ... same old comments ‘we played well’ and with a 0-1 deficit there’s always a comment about a decision going against us.

Having quite a few dead rubber games at the end of the season is a real benefit to look at kids and also others like Carayol.

Not sure what else we’ll learn more about a player like Sears... might have given Folami, Drinan or Morris a game. Not sure if he’s sticking two fingers back at the fans or just being extra precious about his reputation. Another manager giving Mick credit post-match ... that’s fine, but the opposing manager is bloody happy grinding out the 3 points as long as we don’t go for it... just seems too much like a standard ... narrowly beat a MM team and give Mick a well done and a pat on the back.

Seems like a wasted opportunity not to look at other players and not to play attacking players, but I guess Mick won’t gain from it...so why should he care.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:49 am

Boss Mick McCarthy stated that he didn't want the season to just peeter out over the remaining games, unfortunately following yesterday's showing that is pretty much exactly what is going to happen. Hopes were high that the good showing against Millwall on Easter Monday was going to replicated over the remaining Six games and that us fans would at least be treated to some kind of entertainment, we were told that some of the kids would be given a chance to see what they could do too so it was something of a disappointment to see a starting Line up with Eight defence Minded outfield players take to the field to take on Brentford, no sign of Folami, Morris or Drinan, add to that no sign of any flair in the shape of Celina, Carayol or Ward neither, a long afternoon beckoned. Even before the game the mood among Town fans at the Griffin Pub was somewhat flat, normally songs filled the air and the mood is very upbeat, not so this time, the feel was quite different.

The first half really poodled along in a pretty boring and mundane fashion, in fact the best of the action fell as early as the tenth minute as Bart somehow kept out a cruelly deflected shot with his foot that looked destined for the goal, as he dived one way the ball deflected the other way but his reflexes to stick a foot out were superb, it would have been cruel luck to go behind in that way but it was a let off all the same. It was actually quite a niggly game with petty fouls aplenty, Brentford had most of the ball and it is clear they can play a good passing game where as Town looked bereft of ideas every time we got it. Our luck took a turn for the worse midway through the half as Chambo and bart crashed into one another while trying to defend a ball, the skipper very rarely goes down for long but it was clear it was a serious one as he beat the grass in pain, it turns out that could be his season done with what appears to be broken Ribs again. Kenlock was brough on with Knudsen moving into the CB slot and assuming the roll of captain. One or two half chances, if you can call them that fell to Brentford while kenlock hit a wayward shot for Town but it was really turgid stuff and not very entertaining at all. Town did get the ball in the net during added time courtesy of Callum Connolly but was offside and that was about as close as we came all half. Waghorn and Sears had really had nothing to feed off and were not in the game at all while Nydam and Connelly too looked to be watching the game pass them by, Hyam to be fair had grew into the game after a slow start and was probably the stand out Town player, that tells you everything.

The second half failed to improve at all there really was little of note to comment on, still any flair in the Town squad remained on the bench as we plodded away without making any clear chances, Brentford were still in control of much of the possession and any chances they had flew high or wide, Bart had a couple of routine saves/catches to make which he did easily. Waghorn did finally get into a good position as Town tried to get forward but his cross to the waiting sears was cut out. Unfortunately it wasn't long before we again found ourselves behind to a penalty, Knudsen adjudged to have pushed canos, impossible to tell from where we were but many felt it was so soft again, either way the ref gave it and once more we find ourselves behind in a game where our goal had not been overly threatened.

The already poor atmosphere got worse as a section of Town's fans again had to turn on MM with derisory and abusive chants to get out of our club etc, it really wasn't necessary given that he is already on the way out. The remainder of the game was played out much like what had gone before, until the final few minutes when Town came so close to a leveller, Town sub Celina created a chance for Ward who smashed a shot from close range straight down the middle, it looked goal all the way but Bentley somehow kept it out with a stunning block although reports suggest he knew nothing of it, from the rebound waghorn hit another shot goalward which was blocked from going in by a defender just in front of the goal line. There was still time for Canos to come so close to doubling Brentford's advantage but he sent his shot inches wide of the far post. The final couple of minutes passed without anymore action of note.

It really was pretty poor for the most part but not just from Town, the game in general lacked any real spark or quality, most of ours was on the bench until the last few minutes while Brentford pass it well but are a far cry from the Brentford of last season. I really do think we look a sorry and exhausted bunch now who just need this season to be over, everything is in limbo and it shows, no direction and nothing to play for, I fear the last Five games will be exactly the same, we could actually lose the lot.

I can't believe the moronic idiots who turned on Mick again, firstly at HT as he walked to the tunnel then for the remaining Twenty minutes after we conceded a goal, they have their wish, he is leaving, show some bloody dignity for christ sake and little bit of respect for a fellow human being, it is quite disgusting as far as I am concerned, and while all this is going on Eevans suns himself in Barbados !!! I wasnt party to it but apparently the scenes as the playes and manager boarded the coach were not good, a baying mob sending more abuse there way and there are suggestions by eye witnessess that Luke Hyam told Town fans to f*ck off, that says it all, a Ipswich Lad born and bred being goaded enough to respond to numbskulls, MM was right to label them that because that is actually being kind to them.

Bart (7) Spence (5) Chambers (5) Carter-Vickers (6) Webster (5) Knudsen (6) Connolly (6) Nydam (5) Hyam (7) Waghorn (6) Sears (5)

Kenlock (5) Celina (6) Ward (6)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:35 pm

:shock: I read Saints post and thought it was going to say, “first flight to Easter Road” ...... instant reaction was, “no no, don’t do that, it’s fine, we’re doing ok.”

Thanks for the report, football aside, I hope it was a decent Saturday out.

I’ve watched some footage of the game and how it was only 1-0 is beyond me. I’d like to say well done ITFC defence for keeping the score low, but just can’t. Was it just incredibly Shyte Brentford attacking coupled with a very alert Bailkowski? Because that Ipswich defence look like proper headless chickens with EVERY serious Brentford attack. I’ve only seen minutes of footage,...... really hoping they were better for larger spells of the game.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:Boss Mick McCarthy stated that he didn't want the season to just peeter out over the remaining games, unfortunately following yesterday's showing that is pretty much exactly what is going to happen. Hopes were high that the good showing against Millwall on Easter Monday was going to replicated over the remaining Six games and that us fans would at least be treated to some kind of entertainment, we were told that some of the kids would be given a chance to see what they could do too so it was something of a disappointment to see a starting Line up with Eight defence Minded outfield players take to the field to take on Brentford, no sign of Folami, Morris or Drinan, add to that no sign of any flair in the shape of Celina, Carayol or Ward neither, a long afternoon beckoned. Even before the game the mood among Town fans at the Griffin Pub was somewhat flat, normally songs filled the air and the mood is very upbeat, not so this time, the feel was quite different.

The first half really poodled along in a pretty boring and mundane fashion, in fact the best of the action fell as early as the tenth minute as Bart somehow kept out a cruelly deflected shot with his foot that looked destined for the goal, as he dived one way the ball deflected the other way but his reflexes to stick a foot out were superb, it would have been cruel luck to go behind in that way but it was a let off all the same. It was actually quite a niggly game with petty fouls aplenty, Brentford had most of the ball and it is clear they can play a good passing game where as Town looked bereft of ideas every time we got it. Our luck took a turn for the worse midway through the half as Chambo and bart crashed into one another while trying to defend a ball, the skipper very rarely goes down for long but it was clear it was a serious one as he beat the grass in pain, it turns out that could be his season done with what appears to be broken Ribs again. Kenlock was brough on with Knudsen moving into the CB slot and assuming the roll of captain. One or two half chances, if you can call them that fell to Brentford while kenlock hit a wayward shot for Town but it was really turgid stuff and not very entertaining at all. Town did get the ball in the net during added time courtesy of Callum Connolly but was offside and that was about as close as we came all half. Waghorn and Sears had really had nothing to feed off and were not in the game at all while Nydam and Connelly too looked to be watching the game pass them by, Hyam to be fair had grew into the game after a slow start and was probably the stand out Town player, that tells you everything.

The second half failed to improve at all there really was little of note to comment on, still any flair in the Town squad remained on the bench as we plodded away without making any clear chances, Brentford were still in control of much of the possession and any chances they had flew high or wide, Bart had a couple of routine saves/catches to make which he did easily. Waghorn did finally get into a good position as Town tried to get forward but his cross to the waiting sears was cut out. Unfortunately it wasn't long before we again found ourselves behind to a penalty, Knudsen adjudged to have pushed canos, impossible to tell from where we were but many felt it was so soft again, either way the ref gave it and once more we find ourselves behind in a game where our goal had not been overly threatened.

The already poor atmosphere got worse as a section of Town's fans again had to turn on MM with derisory and abusive chants to get out of our club etc, it really wasn't necessary given that he is already on the way out. The remainder of the game was played out much like what had gone before, until the final few minutes when Town came so close to a leveller, Town sub Celina created a chance for Ward who smashed a shot from close range straight down the middle, it looked goal all the way but Bentley somehow kept it out with a stunning block although reports suggest he knew nothing of it, from the rebound waghorn hit another shot goalward which was blocked from going in by a defender just in front of the goal line. There was still time for Canos to come so close to doubling Brentford's advantage but he sent his shot inches wide of the far post. The final couple of minutes passed without anymore action of note.

It really was pretty poor for the most part but not just from Town, the game in general lacked any real spark or quality, most of ours was on the bench until the last few minutes while Brentford pass it well but are a far cry from the Brentford of last season. I really do think we look a sorry and exhausted bunch now who just need this season to be over, everything is in limbo and it shows, no direction and nothing to play for, I fear the last Five games will be exactly the same, we could actually lose the lot.

I can't believe the moronic idiots who turned on Mick again, firstly at HT as he walked to the tunnel then for the remaining Twenty minutes after we conceded a goal, they have their wish, he is leaving, show some bloody dignity for christ sake and little bit of respect for a fellow human being, it is quite disgusting as far as I am concerned, and while all this is going on Eevans suns himself in Barbados !!! I wasnt party to it but apparently the scenes as the playes and manager boarded the coach were not good, a baying mob sending more abuse there way and there are suggestions by eye witnessess that Luke Hyam told Town fans to f*ck off, that says it all, a Ipswich Lad born and bred being goaded enough to respond to numbskulls, MM was right to label them that because that is actually being kind to them.

Bart (7) Spence (5) Chambers (5) Carter-Vickers (6) Webster (5) Knudsen (6) Connolly (6) Nydam (5) Hyam (7) Waghorn (6) Sears (5)

Kenlock (5) Celina (6) Ward (6)
There is a difference between justified criticism and abuse, Mike and the latter is abhorrent, but respect in my book has to be gained. Having had every respect for MM when he joined the club, I regret to say that has now eroded somewhat due largely to the way he has behaved towards the fans with some of his childish and unwarranted comments.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Sadly the fault lines go too deep, and there’s no prospect of anything changing. If he really has the club’s best interests at heart, ME should stand MM down with immediate effect. The ‘lame duck’ manager scene just quacks louder and louder.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:25 pm

What this situation is doing now is driving a wedge between players and fans.
The more they come out and say they wanted him to stay suggests they are quite content to play dreary boring football!
As has been said MM really has to go now and draw a line under this fiasco that ITFC has become.