Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Who will win this thrilling fixture huh?

Ipswich Win
60%
Barnsley Win
40%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 5

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:22 am

Image Ipswich Town v Barnsley Image

Tuesday 10th April 2018 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

As the weeks go by I am finding it harder and harder to say anything different from the previous week, it seems to be groundhog day week after week and until Mick departs I can see nothing but more of the same over the remaining games. Saturday at Brentford was oh so simliar to many games that have gone before it, a less than inspiring Line up, a punchless display lacking in any real attacking threat and once again we lose a game by the narrowest of margins having seen our goal rarely threatened, some would day we are suffering some bad luck with tough decisions going against us but I would suggest we now have a really soft look about us at times, confidence is obviously at an all time low and the whole manager scenario is having nothing but a detrimental effect on the situation, we would be much better off with an interim boss in charge to see us through the final Five games of the season but that looks very unlikely to happen even though the spat between manager and fans shows no signs of letting up given how a section of the support vented their anger at Griffin park, as somebody else said all it is doing now is dividng the club and fans even more, players are apparently now even showing their disdain for what is going on. We all hope to see some new faces come in next season, I just hope players will still want to come and play for us given how uncomfortable it is at times.

The game itself was pretty dire really, Brentford looking the more likely throughout while Town struggled to create much at all, god how often do I write that !!! The link up play from Midfield to attack was virtually non existent while the defence again is so negative in most of what it does, our backward and sideways passing must be miles ahead of anyone else in this division, it shows players suffering from a real lack of confidence and almost scared to go out and express themselves, May 6th really cannot come quickly enough for me now, I had hoped we would at least win the battle to finish above the scum but that looks a forlorn hope once more as they clawed themselves above us. A top half finish also now looks highly unlikely too and if we arent careful Five more defeats could very well be on the cards which would see us much nearer the bottom than we really deserve to be given how well we did over the first half of the season.

Next up is Barnsley who are fighting for their lives to retain their Championship status, also returninfg to town is a certain Keiffer Moore who has found it tough as many thought he would. The takeover has failed to improve Barnsley's chances either, in fact they have fallen lower than before the takeover happened. The Tykes did pick up a crucial win over Sheffield United at the wekend to at least give themselves a chance but there is still a few wins needed if they aren't going to fall through the trap door. I think this is the one remaining fixture that Town can look to gain Three points from as the rest look anything but easy and while we have little to play for compared to our opponents I think Town will finally record another home victory, maybe just maybe we will be entertained like we were against Millwall too.....although on the other hand !!!

The Opposition – Barnsley FC

Barnsley have spent more seasons in the second tier of English football than any other club in history.

Barnsley FC was established in 1887 by a clergyman, Tiverton Preedy, and played in the Sheffield and District League from 1890 and then in the Midland League from 1895.

They joined the Football League in 1898, and struggled in the Second Division for the first decade, due in part to ongoing financial difficulties.

In 1910 the club reached the FA Cup final, where they lost out to Newcastle United in a replay match. However, they would then reach the 1912 FA Cup Final where they would defeat West Bromwich Albion 1–0 in a replay to win the trophy for the first and only time in their history.

When the league restarted after World War I, the 1919–20 season brought some significant changes to the league. The principal difference was that the First Division would be increased from 20 teams to 22. The bottom team from the previous season was Tottenham Hotspur and they were duly relegated. The first extra place in the First Division went to Chelsea, who retained their place despite finishing 2nd bottom and therefore in the relegation places. Derby County and Preston North End were rightly promoted from the Second Division which left one place to be filled. Having finished the previous season's Second Division in 3rd place (1914–15), Barnsley expected to achieve First Division status for the first time, but The Football League instead chose to call a ballot of the clubs. Henry Norris, the then Arsenal chairman, had recently moved Woolwich Arsenal north of the River Thames to Highbury, and needed First Division football to attract fans to their new home. He was later to admit some underhand dealings, allegedly including the bribing of some member clubs to vote for Arsenal's inclusion. They duly won the vote and Barnsley were consigned to the second tier of English football for another 8 decades.

During the years preceding and following World War II, the club found themselves sliding between the Second and Third Division.

When the Northern and Southern sections of the Third Division were replaced by national Third and Fourth Divisions for the 1958–59 season, Barnsley were still in the Second Division, but went down to the Third Division at the end of that season.
In 1965, Barnsley were relegated to the Football League Fourth Division for the first time, winning promotion three years later. They went down to the Fourth Division again in 1972, and this time stayed down for seven seasons, finally returning to the Third Division in 1979.

Two years later, they went up again and quickly established themselves as a decent Second Division side throughout the 1980s, although they still failed to clinch that elusive First Division place.

At the time of the creation of the FA Premier League in 1992, Barnsley had been Football League members for 94 years, before finally clinching runners-up spot and automatic promotion and gaining the top flight place that they had spent 99 years trying to win.

Barnsley lasted just one season in the Premier League but did not go down without a brave fight.

In the following years Barnsley were not as successful, with relegation to Division Two in 2002 and administration both threatening the existence of the club.

Barnsley had the distinction of playing in the last play-off final at Wembley before the stadium was closed for redevelopment, and in 2006 won in a play-off final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, to earn promotion to the Championship.

The team struggled in their first season back in the Championship and in the 2013/14 season were relegated back to League 1.

On Sunday 3 April 2016, Barnsley won the Football League Trophy after a win over Oxford United at Wembley.

On 29 May, Barnsley gained promotion back to the Championship with a win over Millwall at Wembley Stadium in the League 1 playoff Final.

Barnsley performed well last season finishing in 14th place with 58 points.

The Manager – José Morais

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 14 place with 53 points

13 Mar Ipswich Town 0 - 3 Hull City

17 Mar Bristol City 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

31 Mar Birmingham City 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

2 Apr Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Millwall

7 Apr Brentford 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

Barnsley Last 5 Matches – Currently in 22nd place with 37 points

10 Mar Middlesbrough 3 - 1 Barnsley

13 Mar Barnsley 1 - 1 Norwich City

17 Mar Barnsley 0 - 2 Millwall

30 Mar Barnsley 2 - 2 Bristol City

7 Apr Barnsley 3 - 2 Sheffield Utd

Fixtures of Interest

SUNDERLAND VS NORWICH CITY

PRESTON N.E. VS LEEDS UTD

QUEENS PARK RANGERS VS SHEFFIELD WED.

Match referee – James Linington

IPSWICH TOWN 2 BARNSLEY FC 1

AzzurroMark

Re: Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:14 pm

A team with nothing much to play for, low in confidence, struggling for goals, but always likely to concede the silliest of goals versus a team with everything to play for, containing a striker who will need no firing up to prove a point.
Can sadly only see one outcome, with Keiffer Moore scoring the only and deciding goal.

Could have gone to this one, but opted for watching my local team aim to get the one point that will secure the Anglian Combination Division One title.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy has confirmed he expects captain Luke Chambers to miss the rest of the season after revealing the extent of the injuries he suffered at Brentford.

The Blues skipper required treatment on the Griffin Park pitch after colliding with goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski as the Pole came flying out of his goal to deal with a through ball.

Speaking after the game McCarthy said his captain had cracked a rib, but the Blues boss today revealed he had also dislocated his shoulder and fractured his sternum.

“I think he only dislocated his shoulder, fractured a rib and fractured his sternum so he will probably be alright for Saturday,” McCarthy joked.

“I saw him today and he said ‘two weeks gaffer’, to which I replied ‘good luck with that’.

“You know what he’s like and certainly very, very durable but I don’t think we’ll be seeing him again, not after that. Not this season anyway.”

McCarthy will have to shuffle his defensive pack for tomorrow night’s visit to Barnsley, with Adam Webster leaving training early with a strained hamstring.

His absence would leave Tottenham loanee Cameron Carter-Vickers as the only fit senior central defender in McCarthy’s squad, although Jordan Spence and Jonas Knudsen have both filled in there this season.

The injuries to Webster and Chambers could also open the door to young Irish defender Barry Cotter, who is in the squad for tomorrow night’s game.
Bloody hell, Chambo is one tough cookie.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Anyone know how to listen to the match overseas? I’m in Riga with work tomorrow so missing the match and I know you can’t listen to radio Suffolk match day online for some reason. Would like to listen to it if I can although if it proves too difficult I’m hoping they have Man City v Liverpool on in the bar!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:26 am

charlton837 wrote:Anyone know how to listen to the match overseas? I’m in Riga with work tomorrow so missing the match and I know you can’t listen to radio Suffolk match day online for some reason. Would like to listen to it if I can although if it proves too difficult I’m hoping they have Man City v Liverpool on in the bar!
Latvian radio / internet streams don't seem to accommodate sport in any great capacity and the idea that they'd feature some obscure game from the English Championship league appears between slim and zero. Will provide a link that may be useful but as mentioned Manchester City / Liverpool would seem to be the best guess of any available networks or games shown in that corner of Eastern Europe. Apologize for not being of greater assistance.

http://www.listenlive.eu/latvia.html

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:36 am

I voted on an away team win. Maybe they got something left in the season to play for, maybe I accept our own team is sub-standard and severely devoid of ideas and direction. Game itself is ultimately irrelevant for many home fans, whatever attendance figure they provide after, may not be a true representation of those who were actually present.

Best guess, team sees another defeat, perhaps fails again to register a goal, and McCarthy deems himself in post-game interview as blameless for the whole incident and declares he was in fact, providing a favor to his previous employers / hometown.

The level of apathy shown from both (our) players and manager tomorrow could well be on a plateau with the majority of the fanbase regards what remains of our season.

Ipswich 0 Barnsley 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 am

That Barnsley fan(ny) pictured? Has he get ANY mates at all to tell him, “Listen mate, got to be honest...... You look a knob. Take the hat off, put your shirt on and sit the fk down.”
saint jude wrote:The level of apathy shown from both (our) players and manager tomorrow could well be on a plateau with the majority of the fanbase regards what remains of our season.
Translated, you’re saying; most fans couldn’t care less about the remainder of the season...... and Mick & Co feel exactly the same?

Agree regarding large number of fans,....., but not manager & players. They’ll still be trying and failing to win every game.

Must be a draw or better at Portman Road against Bayern Barnsley tonight.
I’ll say 2-1 ITFC....... hopefully that defence can keep it down to one goal conceded.

Jose Morais caption:
Thinks:
I’ll give this football malarkey a few more weeks. Then I’ll go ask Barry Hearn to get my next bout organised.

Ref caption:
“Errrr, Luke? Your team are shooting that way this half. Just checking you guys understand that. Cheers.”

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:59 am

saint jude wrote:
charlton837 wrote:Anyone know how to listen to the match overseas? I’m in Riga with work tomorrow so missing the match and I know you can’t listen to radio Suffolk match day online for some reason. Would like to listen to it if I can although if it proves too difficult I’m hoping they have Man City v Liverpool on in the bar!
Latvian radio / internet streams don't seem to accommodate sport in any great capacity and the idea that they'd feature some obscure game from the English Championship league appears between slim and zero. Will provide a link that may be useful but as mentioned Manchester City / Liverpool would seem to be the best guess of any available networks or games shown in that corner of Eastern Europe. Apologize for not being of greater assistance.

Thanks SJ, I did realize that they wouldn't be showing it on TV. I was just trying to find a way to access Radio Suffolk commentary whilst abroad, I know some of the Dutch fans manage to access it.

If not then no problem, will just watch the Champions League match as the hotel I stay at usually shows it in the bar

COYB

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:09 pm

charlton837 wrote:
saint jude wrote:

Thanks SJ, I did realize that they wouldn't be showing it on TV. I was just trying to find a way to access Radio Suffolk commentary whilst abroad, I know some of the Dutch fans manage to access it.

If not then no problem, will just watch the Champions League match as the hotel I stay at usually shows it in the bar

COYB
I think the online Radio Suffolk coverage only goes off if you're listening in the UK. Football League rules. If you can get Radio Suffolk online in Riga, you may be OK

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:20 pm

I've never been able to get Radio Suffolk football coverage via an internet link abroad. Had to pay through ITFC player or- this year- watch/listen through IFollow. I've paid up for a year with iFollow and I don't think you can pay per game.

BBC Sports live text would be probably more entertaining than watching or listening to Town TBH. If the shots-on-target column gets above 3, you know that Mick's released the shackles.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:26 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:A team with nothing much to play for, low in confidence, struggling for goals, but always likely to concede the silliest of goals versus a team with everything to play for, containing a striker who will need no firing up to prove a point.
Can sadly only see one outcome, with Keiffer Moore scoring the only and deciding goal.

Could have gone to this one, but opted for watching my local team aim to get the one point that will secure the Anglian Combination Division One title.
Played in the Anglian Combination for a couple of teams...... won the senior cup with Lowestoft Reserves and played for Ashlea. Who are you supporting in the Combination

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Got to think we won't win this one Barnsley have proven to be a tough nut in recent games either a 0-1 loss or a 1-1 tie

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Watership Down wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:A team with nothing much to play for, low in confidence, struggling for goals, but always likely to concede the silliest of goals versus a team with everything to play for, containing a striker who will need no firing up to prove a point.

Played in the Anglian Combination for a couple of teams...... won the senior cup with Lowestoft Reserves and played for Ashlea. Who are you supporting in the Combination
Wymondham Town. Unfortunately they suffered only their league defeat tonight, so it all comes down to Saturday now.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:07 pm

So Mick has left with immediate effect

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Just seen it on Facebook. Anyone know why now?

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 pm

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/april/ ... te-effect/

Was agreed at the Weekend according to this.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Ando wrote:Just seen it on Facebook. Anyone know why now?
Don't know, but liked the comment that i just read about him going back home on the Barnsley team coach!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:30 pm

How did Barry Cotter do??

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:46 pm

He did very well mate and looks a player for sure, I was well impressed as was everyone else it seems given the reception he got when subbed off. Great vision with some long cross field passes, got forward well and has ability to beat players with the ball and defended really solidly, dont remember any mistakes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 pm

As it turns out we played some good stuff tonite

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:08 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Watership Down wrote:

Wymondham Town. Unfortunately they suffered only their league defeat tonight, so it all comes down to Saturday now.
Damn near neighbours then :wink:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:31 am

Any score from today would seem immaterial after news that McCarthy has quit while games remain in the season. Maybe he wanted to go out on a win, to depart at this stage of the campaign with a handful of meaningless games at his disposal seems bizarre but what's done is done.

Could have toughed it out for the last month but seemed resolute that recent exchanges between (himself and) sections of the support had reached breaking point and lo and behold his as* is out the exit quickly than originally planned. As before today's victory takes a considerable back seat, but while we're at it, three points is nonetheless welcome and something of a rarity around here.

In the end McCarthy seemed to have had enough. Hell knows (by now) the majority of the fanbase had shared the same sentiments also.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:06 am

number 9 wrote:How did Barry Cotter do??
I thought he showed quality for a young player cannot understand why he was taken off after 55 Mins got a standing ovation from fans and chants boos directed towards MM and don't know what your doing.
He could not have been tired just had 15 mins break at HT.
Hopefully KLUG will give the youngsters a chance for the rest of the season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 am

By all accounts he was shattered

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:31 pm

Barry Cotter? Never heard of him. Sounds like an Eastenders character.

“Where’s my money you shlaaaaag?”
“Barry Cotter got it innit, pheeeel!”

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Watership Down wrote:

I used to hate going to Cromer that was a long way. Let's hope they win..... are they at home and who do they play?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:38 pm

We are at home to North Walsham. A single point is all that is needed, however we are 15 points clear with the only team who can catch us having just 5 games to play.

Steve and Jo do you follow the local football scene in Norfolk too?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 pm

I can’t believe Town played last night and it wasn’t on my radar to either follow the game in play or at the very least check the result before going to bed.

It just about sums up the declining interest in our football team much in line with the declining performances on the pitch. What a sad end to a season which began with much success and so much promise.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Charnwood wrote:I can’t believe Town played last night and it wasn’t on my radar to either follow the game in play or at the very least check the result before going to bed.
Your brain was still winding down from US Masters mode maybe, Charnwood?

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:56 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:We are at home to North Walsham. A single point is all that is needed, however we are 15 points clear with the only team who can catch us having just 5 games to play.

Steve and Jo do you follow the local football scene in Norfolk too?
Well.... good luck to them although nothing is easy in the Combination. The team following you have to win all of their games to get by you I guess. Let me know what happens.