MM has gone

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

herforder

Re: MM has gone

Post by herforder » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Can’t help but wonder what David Sheepshanks makes of current events at PR. In many ways, - albeit not always making the right decisions - he nevertheless provided a live link to the Club’s traditions of honesty, integrity, valuing and empathising with supporters and communicating effectively with them. The heart and soul of the real ITFC beat through him.

The farcical and undignified situation ME presided over regarding MM’s departure, culminating with last night’s dramatic exit, would never have happened under DS‘ stewardship. Whatever his professional and personal shortcomings - not accepted by all - MM’s lengthy, full-on, service to the club, shouldering massive responsibilities without any effective top cover,, deserved a much better ending. Whilst his departure had become inevitable, I think history won’t judge him too harshly. The same will not be said about ME.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:24 pm

I had a lot of time and respect for David Sheepshanks, wish he was still about TBH, you are spot on in your analysis Herforder.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Agree completely hertforder. I always had respect for sheepshanks, he did make mistakes and took a lot of stick himself but everything he did was with good intentions. ME is trying to pull the wool over our eyes, I wanted Mick gone but the way it's been handled is all wrong. Mick has done all the chasing too, Evans hasn't instigated much at all.

Very big appointment now as if Evans gets this wrong or.doesnt back him I can see him being next on the hit list. To.be honest that's not likely to be helpful for anyone. This club needs some positivity, it's in a fragile position right now

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 pm

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:49 am

Yes, David Sheepshanks had the best interests of the club at heart, there were those who weren't always in favor of his position or against his involvement, but by God the difference between himself and Evans as individuals that care (about the prosperity of the team) is almost polar opposite.

No coincidence that the club has fallen behind to the extent it has since the latter took ownership. A succession of (retrospectively) poor and inept managerial appointments have only compounded the situation. Getting rid of McCarthy was, for the last time, a big step in the right direction, but until Marcus Evans is out and away from the club also, can only feel continued doubt regards the subsequent years ahead.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:05 am

valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Agree with most of that although I do feel the way Evans has sat back and let Mick take flack for months was very poor, he could have calmed the storm long before it got to the level it did.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Not quite sure how Marcus Evans could have calmed the situation tbh. They would have wanted the club safe before making an announcements. It was fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain that MM was leaving, even at the start of the season.

I guess there are many people though who don't have that half brain within all clubs supporters.

I always found Ipswich a great club. It was always superbly ran and was a great place to watch football.
SKY has killed great clubs like Ipswich.

Its a sad day when we see the way MM has been treated and a really poor reflection on the club

Hence lies one of the problems......."Ipswich a great place to watch football"......Not under MM....It was dismal,Dull, predictive, and un inspiring.....No self respecting football fan would wish that on their club. Yes agreed with some cash investment from ME, MM may have succeeded. However he chose to be the lap dog of our owner and has suffered the consequences.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 am

Personally I have some sympathy with McCarthy and still wish ME had departed first with a new ambitious owner lined up to replace him.

Unlike others I’m not overly excited by the prospect of a less experienced manager coming in expected to do better than McCarthy without any investment in players. I think the risks are high and our decline could continue. I’ve never liked McCarthy but I do respect him and his record in the Championship speaks for itself.

As far as his poorly managed departure is concerned, the fans have to share as much of the blame for this as do the management who i’m sure would have much preferred to have left announcing the decision until the last day of the season.

I’m hopeful but not optimistic that next season will be better under a new manager.

For me the issues at our football club lie at a higher level than Team Manager/Coach.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 pm

The way I see it is if you continually do the same thing you get the same result.

Now MM has gone things will change on the football front in the short term. Looking long term if the investment stays the same the club will end up where it is now at best.

Therefore unless ME changes, the club is unlikely to return to the premier league. Ultimately it's all about expectations, if Evans can't invest then he should come out and say, at least that would give the fans a better understanding of where the club is going. When we get Milne saying ME is committed as ever, it gives a false impression and hope.

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am

loudnproud wrote:I cant bring myself to thank the guy for his efforts....Played 279...won 105...drew 78...Lost 96 and destroyed the very soul of the club. My biggest problem with him was that he failed to confront ME to invest in the playing staff. He also failed to "Believe" in our youth.

On wards and upward.....

Spot on LnP,

TBH no manager ever really lasts more than 3 years before the fans start turning. Unless they are winning things, but that really comes from a big investment from the club.

Okay lets break his tenure down by net transfer spend:

2012 +2.6m (Jewell)
2013 0.41m (Mick)
2014 -4.1m
2015 -9.6m
2016 -1.5m
2017 +2.4m

Overall during his tenure he bought and sold pretty well as he made a net transfer spend of -12.3m. He made us money.

Arrived in 2012 when Paul Jewell had just spent 2m on Paul Taylor and a total of 2.6m on players. After which we had to tighten our belts in 2013/14. This is where he developed two great left backs who would go on to be sold, without him being able to immediately reinvest.

Finally when he did manage to spend some money, he had to sell his top striker as he couldn't stop him moving onto bigger wages and a chance to go to a team with serious investment in the playing squad for a promotion push.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:I just find it disgusting that a so called nice family club couldn't give the guy the send off he deserved for his service to ITFC in very trying times. It's a sad reflection on a section of our fans that he has gone in this manner and along with Evans they have been disrespectful to MM and despite what anyone says about his outbursts they have pushed and pushed for a reaction so they could use it against him more. Yes we needed change and yes im relieved he's gone but he was spot on in his summing up of the numbskulls and deserved a better send off. Thanks Mick.

Totally agree. Mick has done nothing to warrant abuse from the fan base. He saved us from certain relegation his first season, and took us to the playoffs once. I agree the time has come to part ways, but he deserved better.

Why is it ME continually slinks in the background and ducks responsiblity while three managers have been run off by angry fans since I have been here? The only worse owner I can think of right now is Precourt.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:50 pm

OHIO!!! You need to post more.

Mevans HAS to be more involved behind the scenes. He can’t leave it all to that Milne guy. Surely not?

https://youtu.be/yYH4wj2wC_E

Regarding the master of all c**ts, Roy Keane; fairly certain Mevans was glad he just left.

Jewell had to deal with the sh*t R”C”K left, whilst banging prostitutes. Wouldn’t think his mind was fully on the task......, the footballing task I mean.

And poor old belligerent Mick? Well, that was “probably” his problem if the truth were known.