MM has gone

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

herforder

MM has gone

Post by herforder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Last game tonight - has walked. No doubt further details to follow. Sad ending.

Shed on tour

Re: MM has gone

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Not surprised that he has gone before the end of the season.
Probably the best for everybody involved.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Seems strange he has gone now. Probably either left on the Barnsley bus Or on his way to west brom

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:18 pm

I never saw him staying until end of season. Sounds like a contractual thing? Perhaps when playoffs were mathematically impossible? Time to move on now. Let's see what the future holds. Interesting to see who takes charge until end of season.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:25 pm

I'm not surprised at all.

The whole thing has been mismanaged since MM announced he would be leaving.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Wager it’s nothing to do with contracts or the play offs.

I’d take a guess at more abusive comments coming his way from the fans in the ground. He’s said to Terry, “Fk this sh*t. I’m off after this game. Fk them. Numbskulls!”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:31 pm

barmy billy wrote:I'm not surprised at all.

The whole thing has been mismanaged since MM announced he would be leaving.
Things mismanaged at ITFC, who would believe it? :wink:

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 pm

Just seen his post match interview on Twitter, seems it was agreed at the weekend. The booing has driven him away, think I would do the same. Why stay where you don't think your wanted.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Evans has handled it appallingly tbh

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 pm

I’m sure quite a few will be celebrating, but it all seems pretty shabby.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:Evans has handled it appallingly tbh
Yet he sits there basking in sunshine

Mick has his faults. but can respect him and he has done lots for this club. Time he left, yes very possibly it is. Marcus Evans... Has to stand up and be counted, just like his millions

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Geraint Williams and Bryan Klug in temporary charge

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Will be interesting to see what happens on the pitch for the last four games

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:24 pm

Yes, looking forward to Forest Saturday even more now

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 am

I just find it disgusting that a so called nice family club couldn't give the guy the send off he deserved for his service to ITFC in very trying times. It's a sad reflection on a section of our fans that he has gone in this manner and along with Evans they have been disrespectful to MM and despite what anyone says about his outbursts they have pushed and pushed for a reaction so they could use it against him more. Yes we needed change and yes im relieved he's gone but he was spot on in his summing up of the numbskulls and deserved a better send off. Thanks Mick.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 am

Should start a thread with a poll with two choices, ....., 1/ “thanks Mick, your time has been appreciated” and 2/ “Thankfully you’ve left, Ta Ta Mick!”

That’ll be a divided poll.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:05 am

Agree that the manner in which he left was sad and nothing to be proud of.

Would have been better if ME had made this decision two weeks ago and not put Mick in a position to see out the season ... and still take abuse.

No idea why some fans still feel the need to continue the tirade of abuse and make this even more ugly. Mick might have brought a lot of it on himself, but with him leaving you’d have thought the pressure would have been released and at least a thanks and good luck would show a bit of decency all round.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:22 am

I cant bring myself to thank the guy for his efforts....Played 279...won 105...drew 78...Lost 96 and destroyed the very soul of the club. My biggest problem with him was that he failed to confront ME to invest in the playing staff. He also failed to "Believe" in our youth.

On wards and upward.....

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 am

I live in Scotland having lived in Ipswich 89-93 and was season ticket holder at Ipswich in that time.
I still follow the club closely and never miss a game on Sky etc
I actually can't quite believe how shockingly bad that Mick McCarthy has been treated by a fairly large section of the Town support.
Its a total disgrace from start to finish.

MM has done a phenominal job at Portman Road with the resources at his disposal.
The young players he has handled brilliantly and the dealings in the loan market have been first class.
Made the play-off a few times against all the odds.

Given the resources Keane etc had he would definitely got Town promoted .
Fixed the mess Keane and Jewell left behind.

Maybe Town will be lucky in the next appointment and it will all work out fine but I wouldn't be suprised if its the opposite.

The situation hasn't been handled appalingly by Marcus Evans either. They announced MM departure to try and take the bitterness out of the whole thing but it just became impossible for Mick to continue in that atmosphere

As I say total disgrace and a level of abuse totally unwarranted for a first class individual.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:24 am

Agree with most of that although I do feel the way Evans has sat back and let Mick take flack for months was very poor, he could have calmed the storm long before it got to the level it did.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 am

Bluemike wrote:Agree with most of that although I do feel the way Evans has sat back and let Mick take flack for months was very poor, he could have calmed the storm long before it got to the level it did.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Not quite sure how Marcus Evans could have calmed the situation tbh. They would have wanted the club safe before making an announcements. It was fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain that MM was leaving, even at the start of the season.

I guess there are many people though who don't have that half brain within all clubs supporters.

I always found Ipswich a great club. It was always superbly ran and was a great place to watch football.
SKY has killed great clubs like Ipswich.

Its a sad day when we see the way MM has been treated and a really poor reflection on the club

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:22 am

herforder wrote:Last game tonight - has walked. No doubt further details to follow. Sad ending.
As long as he has gone, that is all that matters to me. I will forget him very quickly and move on to support our new young dynamic manager as soon as He or She is appointed.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:11 am

Tricky wrote:
herforder wrote:Last game tonight - has walked. No doubt further details to follow. Sad ending.
As long as he has gone, that is all that matters to me. I will forget him very quickly and move on to support our new young dynamic manager as soon as He or She is appointed.
Thought that was Roy Keane ?
You can't beat experience and know how which MM had in abundance.
Be careful what you wish for.

Ipswich seem like a prime candidate to me for overseas investors.
That will either go one of 2 ways also

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:07 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Tricky wrote:
Thought that was Roy Keane ?
You can't beat experience and know how which MM had in abundance.
Be careful what you wish for.

Ipswich seem like a prime candidate to me for overseas investors.
That will either go one of 2 ways also
If Steve Clarke isn't a realistic candidate, as some would seem to think, then I hope that we go for someone with little experience at this level with as little baggage as possible. The bloke from Luton would be worth a punt I think.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Nigel Clough please! Has experience , and plays a good game and certainly would with the squad he would inherit

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:52 pm

We can debate all day whether or not MM's departure was handled properly by ME. I'm certainly not a fan of Evan's, but we have to acknowledge he did give MM almost 6yrs in the manager's seat...the longest serving manager in the Championship. I also think most fans were behind Mick until he started berating fans. You can say what you want about the 'numbskulls', but MM's reaction created the perception that he didn't give a sh*t about ALL of the fans. Sure, MM did a great job on the budget etc etc. I don't think he deserves a ticker-tape parade as a send off, though. Good luck with your next endeavor Mick, and don't let the door hit you in the arse!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:28 pm

hallamblue wrote:Nigel Clough please!
You posted that 9 minutes before midday, Hallam? You had a few cans of the Monster today?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Now he has gone i think did he do a good job? Financially he did. Style of play and his negative approach, no he did not. So pleased but also dissapointed that his stubbornness not to change has ultimately cost him his job. Thanks Mick for saving us from relegation but remember the fans is the life blood of the club.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:43 pm

From Messiah to Pariah, boy, how quickly some folks change. I won't say all because I don't think everyone wanted him to go. He doesn't deserve some of the stick he has been getting but nonetheless he got it. He could have been the most successful manager ever but one bad season is how you are judged. Good luck Mick just don't come back to haunt us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Watership Down wrote:From Messiah to Pariah, boy, how quickly some folks change. I won't say all because I don't think everyone wanted him to go. He doesn't deserve some of the stick he has been getting but nonetheless he got it. He could have been the most successful manager ever but one bad season is how you are judged. Good luck Mick just don't come back to haunt us.
Never a truer word said.