Nott. Forest vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will Mr Klug fare huh?

Forest Win
No votes
Town Win
71%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 7

Frosty
Forum Owner

Nott. Forest vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Image Nottingham Forest v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 14th April 2018 – 15:00

City Ground

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

The events of Tuesday evening after the game against Barnsley clearly overshadowed what happened on the pitch and the upshot of it all is that Mick McCarthy is no longer manager of Ipswich Town Football Club, a mutual agreement having been reached with owner Marcus Evans has seen Mick depart with Four games of the season remaining. As much as we knew it was coming and as much as it was needed I still feel a fair bit of sympathy for the way it all ended and from my poiunt of view for the way Mick was hung out to dry as the fall guy for so much that is wrong with our club right now, those discussions are probably for another day but I would like to have seen Mick go with a fair bit more respect which for me he deserved, I thought us fans were better than that but clearly not, some won't agree or particularly like my stance on it but I really couldn't care less, as far as I am concerned a section of the fans have let the club down with the way they have acted over the last few months, it hasn't gone unnoticed with me how Bryan Klug's first interview has him saying how much better the place is with everyone pulling in the same direction and how the fans are part of that and in fact have a massive part to play, I think that speaks volumes with how those inside the club and behind the scenes view things, time will tell if we live to regret the events of the last few weeks, I hope not.

Interesting times lie ahead for sure and I am keen to see this live interview with Marcus Evans, it's not before time and I hope for once it is actually worth the wait, all too often we get fed garbage from Evans and Milne but now is the time to change all that and to start rebuilding some very damaged bridges. The hunt for a new manager will continue and as has been stated may linger on for a while yet which is fine by me providing we get "our man" in the end and by that I mean somebody that most fans will endear themselves to and get behind, of course we all have our favourites in that respect but I sincerely hope it isn't a McLaren or a Pardew, I don't see too many people behind that kind of appointment, we have been intent on demanding change so let's go for change either by way of a young and hungry manager from the lower leagues or a foreign coach, as I have said before no old boys back thank you very much, that is not change and a lazy option for me.

I thought for the second home game running we played pretty well and deserved the win, both teams had their chances and we took one of ours thanks to a cracking header from Jonas Knudsen, Bersant Celina missed Two good chances, one a real sitter while other opportunities fell to Skuse (Twice), Ward and young Barry Cotter who fired a corker just over the bar, the debut making Right back had a fab debut and looks a player for sure, his assured confidence was good to watch and he fitted in like he had been in the team all season, already it looks like another good addition for next season. Aside from the chances we created some of our build up play was really good, one move in particluar involving Carayol, Waghorn & Celina was a joy to watch and should have resulted in a Town goal, how typical it comes in the last Two home games of Micks tenure at the club, had we seen that all season much of this abuse would not have been there.

Four games to go and next up is a trip to Nottingham Forest for what will be Bryan Klug's first game in charge for the second time if that makes sense. It will be so interesting to see who he lines up with and what formation we adopt, his options are limited to a degree as we continue to pick up injuries at a rate barely witnessed before but I am pretty sure the style of Football we not be what we have become used to in recent months, I am also hoping that for the first time in ages the away end will be united as One and support the boys no matter what. I see Forest have now gone the last Six games without scoring a goal !!! Six Duck Eggs in a row makes us look prolific so if we can keep it tight at the back we could well nick this one. COYB'S.

The Opposition - Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest F.C. was founded in 1865 shortly after their neighbours Notts County, thought to be the world's oldest surviving professional association football club. They joined the Football Alliance in 1889 and then entered to The Football League. In 1890, Forest moved to the Town Ground, playing in the first ever match to use goal nets.

Forest claimed their first major honour when they won the 1898 FA Cup, beating Derby County.

The club spent most of the first half of the twentieth century in the Second Division. In 1949, they were relegated to the Third Division but were promoted two years later as champions.

Forest regained First Division status in 1957 and won the FA Cup for a second time in 1959.

After being runners-up in the League and Cup semi-finalists in 1967, Forest were relegated from the First Division in 1972.

Forest were considered an underachieving club by English league standards until the mid-1970s, when Brian Clough and his assistant Peter Taylor took the helm at the club. Clough became the most successful manager in the history of Nottingham Forest.

Nottingham Forest won promotion to the top division at the end of the 1976–77 season after finishing third in the Second Division, but no-one could have predicted how successful Clough's team would be over the next three seasons. Nottingham Forest became one of the few teams (and the most recent team to date) to win the English First Division Championship a year after winning promotion from the English Second Division (1977–78 season).

In 1978–79, Forest went on to win the European Cup by beating Malmö and retained the trophy in 1979–80, beating Hamburg.

They also won the European Super Cup and two League Cups. Beside Shilton, key players of that era included right-back Viv Anderson (the first black player to play for the England national team), midfielder Martin O'Neill, striker Trevor Francis and a trio of Scottish internationals: winger John Robertson, midfielder Archie Gemmill and defender Kenny Burns. The club reached the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup in 1983–84 but were knocked out by Anderlecht in controversial circumstances. It later emerged that in the second leg, the Belgian club had bribed the referee but the referee in question had since died in a car accident and was hence not able to be held to account.

Nottingham Forest's next significant trophy came in 1989 when they beat Luton Town in the League Cup final. For most of the season they had been hopeful of completing a unique domestic treble, but were beaten into third place in the League by Arsenal and Liverpool and lost to Liverpool in the replay of the FA Cup semi-final, originally held at Hillsborough, where 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death.

Clough's side retained the League Cup in 1990 when they beat Oldham Athletic and were runner-up in the 1991 FA Cup Final.

Brian Clough's 18-year reign as manager ended in May 1993 when Forest were relegated from the inaugural Premier League after 16 illustrious years of top-flight football which had seen a league title, two European Cups and four League Cups.

Frank Clark, who had been a left-back in Nottingham Forest's 1979 European Cup winning team, returned to the club in May 1993 and was able to achieve a return to the Premier League when the club finished Division One runners-up at the end of the 1993–94 season.

Forest finished third in 1994–95 and qualified for the UEFA Cup – their first entry to European competition in the post-Heysel era. The club reached the quarter-finals, the furthest an English team reached in UEFA competitions that season. The 1996–97 season became a relegation battle and Clark left the club in December.

34-year-old captain Stuart Pearce was installed as player-manager and in March 1997 he was replaced on a permanent basis by Dave Bassett. Forest were unable to avoid relegation and finished the season in bottom place. They won promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt, being crowned Division One champions in 1997–98, however Bassett was sacked in January 1999, with Ron Atkinson replacing him.

Ron Atkinson was unable to prevent Forest from once again slipping back into the Football League with a succession of poor results.

David Platt succeeded Atkinson and spent approximately £12 million on players, which yielded two mid-table finishes before departing to manage England U-21s.

Paul Hart became the Reds' new boss just two hours after the departure of Platt. Despite off-field difficulties, due to the ITV Digital collapse, Forest finished 2002–03 in sixth place and qualified for the play-offs, where they lost to Sheffield United in the semi-finals. A poor league run the following season, led to the sacking of Hart in February 2004 in order to prevent relegation.

Joe Kinnear was subsequently appointed and led the club to 14th place in the final league table. The 2004–05 season saw Forest drop into the relegation zone once more, leading to Kinnear's resignation in December 2004.

Following the brief caretaker stewardship of Mick Harford, Gary Megson took charge of Forest in January 2005 but failed to stave off relegation as the club ended the season second from bottom in 23rd place, becoming the first European Cup-winners ever to fall into their domestic third division.

In Forest's first season in the English third tier in 54 years, Megson survived until February 2006 when he left by "mutual consent" leaving the club only four points above the relegation zone. Frank Barlow and Ian McParland took temporary charge for the remainder of the 2005–06 season, engineering a six-match winning run and remaining unbeaten in ten games, taking 28 points from a possible 39 under the two, narrowly missing out on a play-off place, as they finished in 7th place.

Colin Calderwood was appointed as the twelfth manager of Forest in thirteen years in May 2006 and became the longest-serving manager since Frank Clark. The Calderwood era was ultimately one of rebuilding. In his first season he led the club to the play-offs, and achieved automatic promotion in his second year at the club. Calderwood's side struggled to adapt to life in the Championship in the 2008–09 campaign, and having been unable to steer Forest out of the relegation zone, Calderwood was sacked following a Boxing Day defeat.

Under the temporary stewardship of John Pemberton, Forest finally climbed out of the relegation zone, and Billy Davies was confirmed as the new manager on 1 January 2009. They avoided relegation as they finished 19th in the Championship, securing survival with one game to go.

The 2009–10 campaign was a successful one for Forest with the club holding a top-three position for the majority of the season, narrowly missing out on automatic promotion to West Bromwich Albion, and then lost to Blackpool in the playoffs.

The 2010–11 season saw Forest finish in sixth place in the Championship table putting them into a play-off campaign for the fourth time in the space of eight years, this time around they lost to Swansea over the two playoff semi-final legs.

In June 2011 Billy Davies's contract was terminated, and he was replaced as manager by Steve McClaren, who signed a three-year contract.

Forest started the 2011–12 season with several poor results and McClaren resigned, and chairman Nigel Doughty announced that he intended to resign at the end of the season. In October 2011, Nottingham Forest underwent several changes. These changes included the appointment of Frank Clark as new chairman of the club and also that of Steve Cotterill as manager.

Nigel Doughty, owner and previous chairman of the club died on 4 February 2012, marking the end of a 13-year association with the club, with many estimating his total contribution as £100,000,000.

The Al-Hasawi family, from Kuwait, purchased the club and became the new owners in July 2012.The Al-Hasawi family told press that they had a long-term vision for the club based around a 3–5-year plan, and after interviewing several potential new managers, appointed Sean O'Driscoll, he was known for playing an attractive brand of passing football and what football fans would consider the Forest way.

As of 15 December 2012 after the teams 0–0 draw away at Brighton, Forest sat in 9th position with 33 points, just 3 points off the play-off positions. Just over two weeks later Sean O'Driscoll was sacked following a 4–2 victory over Leeds United with the club stating their intentions of a change ahead of the January transfer window and hopes of appointing a manager with Premiership experience. The man to replace O'Driscoll was Alex McLeish. On 5 February 2013 Nottingham Forest and Alex McLeish had parted company by mutual agreement, just 40 days after McLeish took charge of Forest.

On 7 February 2013, the club re-appointed Billy Davies as manager, having been sacked as the team's manager twenty months previously. His first match in charge was a draw, followed by a run of 10 undefeated games. On 24 March 2014 the club announced they had terminated Davies' employment, following a defeat by Derby County. After initially rejecting the job in March 2014, fans favourite, Stuart Pearce was named as the man to replace Billy Davies on a two year contract, taking over from caretaker manager Gary Brazil.

After a bright start to his tenure, Forest started to slip down the table and on the 1st February 2015, Dougie Freedman was appointed manager of the club in place of Pearce.

On 13 March 2016 Freedman was sacked and Rennes head coach Philippe Montanier was appointed on a two-year contract on June 27, 2016, but sacked after 7 months.

Mark Warburton was named as the club's new manager on 14 March 2017.

On 18 May 2017 it was confirmed that Evangelos Marinakis had completed his takeover of Nottingham Forest, bringing an end to Al-Hasawi's reign as Forest owner.

Last season Forest narrowly avoided the drop on the last day of the season finishing in 21st place with 51 points.

On 8 January 2018, Aitor Karanka was appointed manager replacing Warburton.

The Manager – Aitor Karanka

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Form Guide

Nottingham Forest Last 5 Matches currently in 18th place with 46 points

11.04.2018 ENG LCh Nottingham F. 0-1 Brentford FC

08.04.2018 ENG LCh Middlesbrough 2-0 Nottingham F.

31.03.2018 ENG LCh Millwall FC 2-0 Nottingham F.

18.03.2018 ENG LCh Sheffield Utd 0-0 Nottingham F.

12.03.2018 ENG LCh Nottingham F. 0-0 Derby County

Ipswich Last 5 Matches currently in 12th place with 56 points

11.04.2018 ENG LCh Ipswich Town 1-0 Barnsley

08.04.2018 ENG LCh Brentford FC 1-0 Ipswich Town

03.04.2018 ENG LCh Ipswich Town 2-2 Millwall FC

01.04.2018 ENG LCh Birmingham City 1-0 Ipswich Town

18.03.2018 ENG LCh Bristol City 1-0 Ipswich Town

Fixtures of Interest that may affect Towns standing on the Table

ASTON VILLA VS LEEDS UNITED

NORWICH CITY VS CARDIFF CITY

Match Referee – Darren England

NOTTINGHAM FOREST 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

arana peligrosa

Re: Nott. Forest vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Managerial casualties can work in a teams favor so soon after the event and furthermore the opposition have nothing to play for also so thought perhaps a one goal win and nothing more. Apathy may not be as prevalent regards the team as before following the managers departure but whatever occurs, it is a game that is ultimately immaterial for both involved.

Nottingham Forest 0 Ipswich 1

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:54 am

Town 3-0 winners. New era to start well
COYB

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:53 pm

I have a feeling this will be a hard fought draw. I'm going with 1-1 and Folami the goal scorer.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I sometimes wonder what happened to Rachel Scotland from High School. Be weird if she married that referee.

Must be an ITFC win. Come on!!! Forest are a bit....., no..... really sh*t at the moment. Take advantage of this lads. 0-2

Ref caption:
Player: Ref, I’m not kidding, honest...... there are two aliens standing right behind you!
Ref: Yes, whatever! You are still getting your 2nd yellow!
Player: I’M SERIOUS, MAN!
Ref: Yes, I am very scared.
Player: OK fine. Be like that you ugly bstd!
Ref: Ugly? I’m ........ MR England.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Ward at RWB and Ben Morris starting up front, interesting.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:46 pm

No Cotter!!

Klug- you don’t know what you’re doing :)

Morris is interesting. Getting a start in front of Folami.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Good half.

Forest had the best chances, but Bart was there. Bit of a weird goal... Kenlock looked to have lost control, but managed to get a flat cross in and Ward looked a little surprised but managed to squeeze his header past the keeper.

Nydam looked like he was growing into the game... neat on the ball and he likes a tackle. Ward looks as if he’s got the beating of the left back.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:49 pm

7 games without a goal and we have to oblige .
1 -1

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 pm

2-1 to Forest
Goal in 96 minute.
2 goals in 7 minutes.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Sickener.

Enjoyable game and real pity we conceded those late goals.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 pm

What is it about ITFC allowing teams to score after the 90 minute.

Got to listen live on Nottingham Radio. Spoilt my weekend!

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:19 pm

well that was embarrassing

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:31 pm

Same sh*t different day as we throw away a lead at the death yet again

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Come back MM all is forgiven lol

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Magicmark wrote:Come back MM all is forgiven lol
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: NFW

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:37 pm

What’s that noise?

Klug...... Klug....... Klug Klug Klug ..... Klug klug.....,

Aw FUUUK! Everything is going down the drain at this club.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:15 pm

Bluemike wrote:Same sh*t different day as we throw away a lead at the death yet again
We dont need a manager we need a pyscarist to sort out the losing mentality within the football club. FFS :x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:32 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Same sh*t different day as we throw away a lead at the death yet again
We dont need a manager we need a pyscarist to sort out the losing mentality within the football club. FFS :x
Whatever the fk that is, but if it helps......, get one of those! :D You on the bevvy, Deeko?

I’ve just intentionally watched Venlo v Heerenveen on the Betfair app. Absolute sh*te. Was like watching Morton v Queen of the South, only much MUCH worse. Dutch football, my arse.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:12 pm

marko69 wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
Whatever the fk that is, but if it helps......, get one of those! :D You on the bevvy, Deeko?

I’ve just intentionally watched Venlo v Heerenveen on the Betfair app. Absolute sh*te. Was like watching Morton v Queen of the South, only much MUCH worse. Dutch football, my arse.[/quote

Ha ha predictive text. In Lanzarote on the p*ss. You know what I mean Marko. One of those mental Doctors. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Yes, knew what you meant, and yes, I deffo need one! :D

Enjoy the holiday, buddy! :D

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Unfortunately it was a McCarthys performance and the biggest positive from today is that it's one game closer to the end of the season. When I saw our line-up: 5-3-2 with Skuse-Hyam combo in the middle......oh noooo. Hardly an inspiration. I know that injuries limit us but why continuing to approach matches so cautiously?

Not much to talk about. Based on this my feeling is that the club just want to fulfil the fixtures and leave the rebuilding job for the new manager. Forest clearly bereft of confidence and were easily for taking. Sadly though we didn't take the advantage.

Yes there were some bright moments (beginning of the 2nd half) but there was no difference to how we've been approaching most of the matches in the last years. Tens of sideways passes with no-one having a clue what to do with the ball. Skuse and Hyam sitting deeply. Set up to keep the opposition quiet, the opposition that hadn't scored in last 6 games.

Scrappy goal out of nothing as we hadn't troubled Pantilimon prior to this. Forest visibly lacking confidence in the opening stages of the game grew into this as it went on. Bialkowski three good saves. Ward's goal and our leading wasn't something we deserved but Forest's players heads dropped and Bart wasn't tested at all for the remainder of the first half.

First 10-15 minutes of the second half we were well on top. Series of corners, their defence on the toes and that was the missed opportunity to put game to bed. Carayol who replaced Morris injected some pace initially but faded afterwards.

Unfortunately we gradually invited Forest to come back into this and subsequently punished, deservedly punished in my opinion. Why couldn't we continue to dictate the proceedings? To be cynical I'd say that was the 'McCarthy's school'.

Forest attempts were mostly chaotic and the defence dealt well in general until the last few minutes. Penalty perhaps debatable for some but it was pen. The push in the box.

Last minute winner though heart breaking was somehow a punishment for Town. We were the architects of our downfall as we could have dominated the 2nd half but for the stupid tactics. All 4 defensive midfielders took their part in the game and it's so sickening !

The end of this season can't come quick enough and the drudgery will be hopefully over. The hell of a job for the new manager to instill the winning mentality as this team and its philosophy stinks !

Any differences in compare to McCarthy? We may have tried to close the opposition down quicker than before but nothing in terms of general performance. Both youngsters' performances did differ significantly as Nydam was the most active midfielder whereas Morris was very quiet.

Celina not involved at all. Some may say he ain't the part of the future therefore no point of using him. Somehow though the defensively minded loanees (Connolly) and short termers (Gleeson) were used.

All in all not happy today with squandering a good chance to beat the average opposition. Can't wait for the end of this season.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Team seems to get f*cked at the death so often the new manager should be a spokesperson for necrophilia. Can't abide losing late goals but to miss out like that in the closing seconds was sore.

Even if the game was irrelevant (which it was) it doesn't excuse tossing aside three points when it occurred. Feel genuine sympathy for the traveling fans to be witness to what occurred when it happened, and came so close to another victory after before. Nottingham had not scored for six games before this if correct and lo and behold they grab two at the most inopportune moment.

Being beaten by a kid with a stupid name only adds insult to injury but f*ck all that and let's take whatever positives there were from today.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:08 am

saint jude wrote:...... to be witness to what occurred when it happened, and came so close to another victory after before.
Saint, be honest. You've invented a time machine and you've come here from the 1500's?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:15 am

Defensively: The push in the box
Offensively: The pish in the box.

Thanks for the quite depressing report, MPB. I think the majority of Town fans feel the same way regarding the end of the season.

When's the World Cup starting so I can support Peru to annoy Frosty.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:15 am

What is the saying, Rome wasn't built in a day ? Did anyone really expect Bryan klug to change that much in the Six days since he took charge ? To be fair it was highly unlikely. A starting line up that still had some of the things wrong with it that many complained about during the MM era took to the field, Two defensive Midfielders in Skuse & Hyam, players out of position (Ward at RWB) when Barry Cotter had just had a very good debut Four days previous, very little flair in the Town team going forward, had Mick been here we would all be berating that rubbish for sure but this is a new start right so what bugged us before can now be let go for a time at least. On the positive side Ben Morris was given his first start up front alongside Waggy while Trystan Nydam and Miles Kenlock made it Three academy boys in from the off.

It was rather a low key opening few minutes as the Two teams sought to get into their stride but it wasn't long before Forest got themselves on top, the awkward looking Ward at RWB gifting Osborne a gilt edged chance with a sloopy pass when under no pressure but thankfully Bart was off his line in a flash to clsoe down the striker and block his shot when a goal looked to be on the cards, it was the first let off for Town. Town were finding it hard to create anything of note and again it was Bart called in to action, this time turning a long range away around the post as Town failed to close down their man, save number Two from the big Pole. Midway through the half it was Bart again saving us with his third piece of good work, another long range effort saw him once again palm it away for a corner and from the corner they almost went ahead, this time a glancing header from a Forest man creeping agonisingly wide of the far post, let off number Four.

To this point we had seen little of Town by way of an attacking unit, Waghorn huffed and puffed and Morris was anonymous, passes had been given away at an alarming rate, Ward at RWB was not working for me as he was resorting to long aimless balls down the wing with little to suggest he was actually passing it to anyone specific, on the positive side I felt Nydam was having a very good game in the middle, his work off the ball is superb, closing down attackers, snapping into tackles, many of which he won and his sheer work rate caught my eye, Kenlock too was putting in a good shift and getting better as the game went on. Incredibly having created nothing for most of the half we went ahead, from Kenlocks cross Ward scrambled the ball home at the back post to give us an undeserved lead. Forest had already looked starved of confidence and this didn't help as you could visibly see the belief drain from them and in the remaining minutes of the half Town took control of the game but again without making then most of it, until the final minute when Nydam looped one across goal and onto the bar after being sent up by a nice Waghorn pass. Going in onhe up was harsh on Forest given the chances they had compared to us but Bart had been there to mop up on Three occasions.

The second kicked off with Town definitely in the ascendancy and Two or Three chances came and went early doors, these were going to come back and haunt us as we failed to convert any of them, first the very impressive Nydam latched onto ward's cross before smashing a shot towards goal which was closed down by defenders, then Hyam was so close to doubling our lead as his run into the box was picked out superbly by Ward who was looking much better since the break, unfortunately the Midfielders effort just cleared the back post. It was all Town at this point as we had Forest pinned back in their own half, crosses and corners were raining it but nothing would fall for us. Nydam was put clean through but didn't have the legs
to get a shot away and the defence snubbed it out, soon after the impressive Midfielder was taken off along with Morris who it has to be said had struggled to get into the game but clearly it takes time.

Sub Carayol had made a big difference since he came on and Two or Three times he caused the Forest defence problems with his pace and power, one run just needed him to pick out a pass to Two unmarked Town players and it would surely have been Two but alas he couldn't find the killer ball. With the game entering the final minutes we had another chance to go Two up but this time it was Carayol who failed to make the most of the opportunity and his shot sailed just wide. We had seen little of Forest going forward since half time but Bart was called to tip one from distance over the bar. Incredibly for the Third away game in a row we conceded another silly penalty in the dying seconds, this time Ward the guilty party as his push saw the Forest man all too willing to go to ground and the ref points to the spot. Bart went the right way but it was a well struck kick and all our good work after the break was undone in one moment of madness yet again. Worse was to come as somehow we contrived to grab defeat from the jaws of victory, a high looking cross wasn't cut out and Lolley was perfectly placed to smash a shot into the net with bart unable to save us this time, despair all round in the away end as moments earlier we were poised to celebrate a win but as with previous recent visits to the City ground we concede so so late again.

It is hard to say what difference there was with Town following MM's departure and in truth the answer is none but lets be honest it was never going to change overnight and I would suggest the next Three games will be exactly the same too, yes we had another kid given his debut and we tried a new man at RWB which definitely improved after the break but for me the jury is still out on that one. Trystan Nydam had by far his best game in a Town shirt and I was impressed as I was with Myles Kenlock at LWB who had a super game, especially after the break when he was getting forward with some good runs, defensively too he was on his game and won his individual battle. It is odd because if it was MM sitting in the dugout and not Klug there would have been a crescendo of boos at the final whistle having thrown away a victory but people seemed accepting of it despite their disappointment, thern again the Numbskulls weren't around so hardly surprising. We definitely deserved at least a point, maybe all Three for the second half showing so get nothing is a real bitter pill, we still need to finish ahead of the scum and those lost points could see us rueing the late capitulation.

Bart (7) Ward (6) Spence (6) Carter-Vickers (7) Knudsen (6) Kenlock (8) Hyam (7) Skuse (6) Nydam (7) Morris (5) Waghorn (6)

SUBS :- Carayol (7) Connolly (5) Gleeson (5)

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 am

I always try to read both Mikes and macs "match reports" and always do so with an open mind. I noticed some good positive changes to the side under different leadership. No chambers Hoofing the bloody thing forward to no one allowing our defensive players to pass their way out of trouble, some great one touch play being played installing confidence on the ball.

Also being part of a very good positive atmosphere generated by my fellow tractor army enticing the players to at least come over to us and accept our applause for their efforts.

Yes it was a bit of a blow to loose in the way we did,but in truth Forrest never gave up where we as a team were happy with a point and that must have made Bart pretty annoyed when the winner went in.

Yes i accept that Town have an awful lot of rebuilding to do, But many of these current players need to step up and prove to us and the football club that they are worthy of wearing the shirt.......It will get better

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 am

Of course, as Mike rightly says, nobody could expect BK to be able to change things overnight.

And he did make a few changes, but the team was far too defence-minded for me.

Same old same old, then.

I've said before - it doesn't matter who the manager is - if you have a squad of average or below average players then your options are extremely limited.

Regardless of who gets the managers job next season, I'd like to see the majority of this seasons failures either shipped out or left out. If I were manager, the only members of yesterdays squad I'd want to retain would be Bart, Nydam, and Morris - plus of course I would be hell bent on getting a deal to bring Carter-Vickers in permanently.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 am

Rossi, No waghorn, Kenlock or Carayol ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:34 am

Mike, there are some who’ve seen Morris twice now...... and that’s good enough for them. Waghorn the fk out!