Ipswich Town v Aston Villa Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

They want the win more than us?

Ipswich Win
33%
Villa Win
33%
Draw
33%

Total votes: 6

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town v Aston Villa Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:14 am

tangfastic wrote:That’s a depressing read from Rossi.

Maybe it’s true that we’ll get relegated. Personally, I still prefer the option of a new start than the same old thing from Mick, even if our chances of relegation increase next year.

ME could well be the sole reason .... but I can’t see him going, so maybe we need to concentrate on the footballing side than look at excuses.

If we finish next season just above the relegation zone, but after introducing new and young players with a genuine attempt to build something, I would prefer that than a 12th position of attrition from Mick.

We’ll have players next season who’ve kept us mid table, so it’s not being overly optimistic to think we can at least come fourth from bottom. We haven’t even got a new manager yet. Hardly think that a 0-4 dead rubber game with 10 men is reason to be too negative for next season.

Was actually more pissed of because we didn’t even attempt to properly take apart Burton at home earlier this season... and we even drew that one.

Don’t read me wrong Tang, i’m not advocating for one minute that Mick should have stayed, i’d just prefer my long held opinion that we’d be better off if Evans had gone first. Although we’ll never know I think we could well be in a far worse position than we are now if anyone other than McCarthy had been in charge for the past 5 years.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:22 am

Just saw some highlights. Mixture of “clinical” finishing and headless chicken defending. Are there no upcoming 6’+ tanks in the youth set up? Need a couple of growling Terry Butchers in there. Inverted commas around clinical as I’d expect Championship level strikers to score 3 of those Villa goals, (not including first goal; very unfortunate) Thought about blaming K-Nood for the second, but then any contact whatsoever and it’s a penalty. (VAR required! :D )

And can’t figure out what Ward was doing. Can only assume he turned around and it all happened so quick, he maybe didn’t realise what he was doing? How his boot made contact is a straight red, but there is a grey area over it being intentional. I don’t think it was. I’m leaning towards a harsh red card...... meaning, some refs may have booked him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:42 am

Charnwood wrote:
tangfastic wrote:That’s a depressing read from Rossi.

Maybe it’s true that we’ll get relegated. Personally, I still prefer the option of a new start than the same old thing from Mick, even if our chances of relegation increase next year.

ME could well be the sole reason .... but I can’t see him going, so maybe we need to concentrate on the footballing side than look at excuses.

If we finish next season just above the relegation zone, but after introducing new and young players with a genuine attempt to build something, I would prefer that than a 12th position of attrition from Mick.

We’ll have players next season who’ve kept us mid table, so it’s not being overly optimistic to think we can at least come fourth from bottom. We haven’t even got a new manager yet. Hardly think that a 0-4 dead rubber game with 10 men is reason to be too negative for next season.

Was actually more pissed of because we didn’t even attempt to properly take apart Burton at home earlier this season... and we even drew that one.

Don’t read me wrong Tang, i’m not advocating for one minute that Mick should have stayed, i’d just prefer my long held opinion that we’d be better off if Evans had gone first. Although we’ll never know I think we could well be in a far worse position than we are now if anyone other than McCarthy had been in charge for the past 5 years.
I think only a numbskull idiot would say that Mick didn’t save us and offer us stability. Bloody shame this couldn’t have ended more amicably, but, for me, this was the natural end here for Mick.

It would be great if we have a new (and better owner ), but can’t see it happening. In which case, we just have to hope ME can make a decent managerial appointment and concentrate on the football.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:44 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is there were 20,000 plus fans in the stadium! What a brilliant turnout!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:21 pm

It was a good turnout, on a warm and sunny afternoon, where the large AV travelling contingent helped make it something like those good ‘ole days. It was also a bit surreal, as the North Stand were singing their hearts out when we were 3 and 4 down. It could well be that all appreciated the effort being put in by our ten men, against an expensively assembled quality side, who played at an all round higher standard than we could muster. I think, too, the readiness to remain positive and vocal was a reflection of the optimism that comes from having seen the back of one era, and anticipating what might follow. After all, it’s the hope that keeps us going. As well as Ed Sheeran, ME was at the match - perhaps they discussed some additional investment! But ME would have to be totally deaf, dumb and blind not to recognise the underlying strength of support that exists, and what it’s going to take to get it back to yesterday’s levels. His much anticipated ‘on camera’ interview should happen during the coming week. We’re waiting for you Mr Evans.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:41 pm

herforder wrote:We’re waiting for you Mr Evans.

https://youtu.be/VQFxmAdyKcg

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:56 pm

It was certainly fab to be in the North stand yesterday after months of relative silence but it was a statement to MM and ME as much as anything, as I said elsewhere we would have applauded anything yesterday, it was fab though, like the old days but that won't last long if we don't get it right on the pitch next season. Kids for a quid swelled the crowd somewhat too.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 pm

number 9 wrote:One thing that hasn't been mentioned is there were 20,000 plus fans in the stadium! What a brilliant turnout!
Let’s not get overly excited, without kids for a quid and a large contingent of away fans we’d have had 15k/16k at best.

This said I do think a buoyant home crowd regardless of the cost of their entry fee could be invaluable getting this team back on track. More recently however (based on what i’ve read not what i’ve seen) I think our home crowd has been very poor and may well have cost us points.

I’m sure i’m not alone in wishing this season over ASAP and looking forward to a fresh start and a new season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Charnwood wrote:
number 9 wrote:One thing that hasn't been mentioned is there were 20,000 plus fans in the stadium! What a brilliant turnout!
Let’s not get overly excited, without kids for a quid and a large contingent of away fans we’d have had 15k/16k at best.

This said I do think a buoyant home crowd regardless of the cost of their entry fee could be invaluable getting this team back on track. More recently however (based on what i’ve read not what i’ve seen) I think our home crowd has been very poor and may well have cost us points.

I’m sure i’m not alone in wishing this season over ASAP and looking forward to a fresh start and a new season.
Well Ive seen it often and it is a fact.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 am

marko69 wrote:Just saw some highlights. Mixture of “clinical” finishing and headless chicken defending. Are there no upcoming 6’+ tanks in the youth set up? Need a couple of growling Terry Butchers in there. Inverted commas around clinical as I’d expect Championship level strikers to score 3 of those Villa goals, (not including first goal; very unfortunate) Thought about blaming K-Nood for the second, but then any contact whatsoever and it’s a penalty. (VAR required! :D )

And can’t figure out what Ward was doing. Can only assume he turned around and it all happened so quick, he maybe didn’t realise what he was doing? How his boot made contact is a straight red, but there is a grey area over it being intentional. I don’t think it was. I’m leaning towards a harsh red card...... meaning, some refs may have booked him.
He should not be playing at right wing back for a start. Now he misses 3 games, Klug will hopefully use Cotter there.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 am

marko69 wrote:Are there no upcoming 6’+ tanks in the youth set up?
Josh Emmanuel?

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:16 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
marko69 wrote:Are there no upcoming 6’+ tanks in the youth set up?
Josh Emmanuel?
Rotherham’s Young Player of the Year. Yes, there’s a quality gap between Div 1 and the C’ship (ask Kiefer Moore!), but hopefully JE’s loan stint has shown that he’s got clear potential to build on, and therefore worth bringing back into the fold for next season.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 am

Charnwood wrote:

That’s surely part of the solution to get bums on seats, and generate some noise and atmosphere: more promotions like Kids for a Quid. Appreciate it’s a business/commercial issue, but it’s now about getting people to come back, or hooking and keeping newbies. Ultimately it’s about the football, but on Saturday that was largely irrelevant and the atmosphere was brilliant. Nowt quite as fickle as football supporters - as Mr Wenger will confirm!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:20 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
marko69 wrote:Just saw some highlights. Mixture of “clinical” finishing and headless chicken defending. Are there no upcoming 6’+ tanks in the youth set up? Need a couple of growling Terry Butchers in there. Inverted commas around clinical as I’d expect Championship level strikers to score 3 of those Villa goals, (not including first goal; very unfortunate) Thought about blaming K-Nood for the second, but then any contact whatsoever and it’s a penalty. (VAR required! :D )

He should not be playing at right wing back for a start. Now he misses 3 games, Klug will hopefully use Cotter there.
I agree Derick, never a bloody RWB, unfortunately Cotter is by all accounts injured and strapped up, or was Saturday anyway.