Ipswich Town v Aston Villa Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

They want the win more than us?

Ipswich Win
33%
Villa Win
33%
Draw
33%

Total votes: 6

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town v Aston Villa Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:16 am

Image Ipswich Town v Aston VillaImage

Saturday 21st April 2018 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

One down, Three to go in the short managerial stint of Bryan klug. I can't lie I have found it quite hilarious reading all the forums and social media sites these last few days, if you were to believe everything you read you would think there was already signs of improvement in the performance of the team since Mick's departure and that we were trying to play better stuff, that the team selection was better etc etc, the plain fact of the matter is it was absolutely no different at all, the same shortcomings, same drab play at times, little attacking threat for much of the first half, weird team selection with the odd player being played out of position when a better option was on the bench, you name it, but of course it fits in with the agenda of many to pretend things took a turn for the better as it justifies, in their Eyes at least, that Mick was every bit as bad as they want him to be remembered for. Don't get me wrong I didn't expect much difference in many areas and am in no way having a pop at Bryan Klug but when did a Mick team ever lose Two goals in the dying seconds ? Just saying. As it happens the second half was not a bad performance and we could so easily have got the win with a bit more composure at the back. One person who stood out for me was young Tristan Nydam who has had me bafflked at times as to just how good he may or may not be, this jury was out but I saw a player there on Saturday, without being too cynical many won't have seen it as a lot of what he did was off the ball but his workrate was fantastic and I finally saw a player that could well be a big asset next season.

Each passing day seems to bring a new name to the fore in the race for the vacant managers job at Portman Road and suddenly we have a certain Steven Gerrard emerging as a very real contender, in fact at the time of writing he is showing in places as 9/4 favourite for the job, my initial thought was OMG no way please, too much of a gamble and with no managerial experience whatsoever we just cannot afford to go down that route, however the more I think abouit the more I am warming to it and while he may not be my first choice I can see it may be appealing to Marcus Evans, One thing Gerrard would bring to the club is his undoubted contacts within the game and lots of players would surely be keen to play under such a name within our game in this country. I do think should SG be appointed Evans has to come up with some sort of budget for the guy to work with as even an old head like Mick McCarthy found it so so tough to keep us competitive, anyway watch this space as next week it will be someone else in the frame no doubt.

This week sees Aston Villa come to Portman Road and they still have an outside chance of automatic promotion so will be going all out to win, this should make for a very enjoyable game and with no pressure on us at all we can hopefully go out and express ourselves in a positive way, there is talk of a 19,000 crowd so the atmosphere should be good for our first home game post MM and the 2000 Villa fans will no doubt contribute greatly to the day, with the weather set to be good it may well be a much happier place to be again, I just hope we give it a good go and play some proper Football.

Three games left and still a chance to finish top dogs in East Anglia at last, it's been too long and having been above them for most of the season it would be galling to slip up now, with Norwich having to play Preston (A) Leeds (H) Sheff Wed (A) I can see them getting Four points which means we have to match that so Villa (H) Reading (A) and Middlesbrough (H) do look tough but hopefully Boro's fate is sealed before the last day and reading are no great shakes so we can do it but what nicer way than to stuff Villa on Saturday, should we do that I will really fancy our chances of returning to the position of East Anglia's number one team and all this with a fraction of their budget. My feeling is that we will get something from the game and a low scoring draw looks the likely outcome for me. So come on people, Mick has gone, get yourselves down to the first home game since his departure and start to help rebuild the club, the future starts here, no more excuses. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Aston Villa

Aston Villa Football Club were formed in March 1874, by members of the Villa Cross Wesleyan Chapel in Handsworth which is now part of Birmingham.

Aston Villa's first match was against the local Aston Brook St Mary's Rugby team. As a condition of the match, the Villa side had to agree to play the first half under rugby rules and the second half under football rules.

After moving to the Wellington Road ground in 1876, Villa soon established themselves as one of the best teams in the Midlands, winning their first honour, the Birmingham Senior Cup in 1880.

The club won their first FA Cup in 1887.

Aston Villa were one of the dozen teams that competed in the inaugural Football League in 1888 with one of the club's directors, William McGregor being the league's founder. Aston Villa emerged as the most successful English club of the Victorian era, winning no fewer than five League titles and three FA Cups by the end of Queen Victoria's reign. In 1897, the year Villa won The Double, they moved into their present home, the Aston Lower Grounds.

Aston Villa won their sixth FA Cup in 1920, soon after though the club began a slow decline that led to Villa, at the time one of the most famous and successful clubs in world football, being relegated in 1936 for the first time to the Second Division.

Like all English clubs, Villa lost seven seasons to the Second World War, and that conflict brought several careers to a premature end.

Aston Villa's first trophy for 37 years came in the 1956–57 season when they won a then record seventh FA Cup Final win.

The team struggled in the league though and were relegated two seasons later, due in large part to complacency. However, Villa returned to the top-flight in 1960 as Second Division Champions. The following season Aston Villa became the first team to win the Football League Cup.
Villa was relegated for the third time in 1967.

The following season the fans called for the board to resign as Villa finished 16th in the Second Division. With mounting debts and Villa lying at the bottom of Division Two, and after much speculation, control of the club was bought by London financier Pat Matthews. However, new ownership could not prevent Villa being relegated to the Third Division for the first time at the end of the 1969–70 season.

However, Villa gradually began to recover and in the 1971–72 season they returned to the Second Division as Champions.

In 1974, the club won the League Cup and, at the end of season 1974–75, Villa returned to the First Division and into Europe.

Villa were back among the elite and this culminated in a seventh top-flight league title in 1980–81.

In the 1981–82 season, Villa won the European Cup with a 1–0 victory over Bayern Munich in Rotterdam. The following season Villa were crowned European Super Cup winners, beating Barcelona in the final. This marked a pinnacle though and Villa's fortunes declined sharply for most of the 1980s, culminating in relegation in 1987. This was followed by promotion the following year and a runners-up position in the First Division in the 1989–90 season.

Villa were one of the founding members of the Premier League in 1992, and finished runners-up to Manchester United in the inaugural season. For the rest of the Nineties however Villa went through three different managers and their league positions were inconsistent, although they did win two League Cups and regularly achieved UEFA Cup qualification.

Villa reached the FA Cup final in 2000 but lost to Chelsea in the last game to be played at the old Wembley Stadium. Again Villa's league position continued to fluctuate under several different managers. After 23 years as chairman, and single biggest shareholder, Doug Ellis finally decided to sell his stake in Aston Villa due to ill-health. After much speculation it was announced the club was to be bought by American businessman Randy Lerner, owner of NFL franchise the Cleveland Browns.
The first Cup final of the Lerner era came in 2010 when Villa were beaten in the League Cup Final.

At the end of the 2011–12 season after Villa finished in 16th place, only just above the relegation zone.

On 28 February 2012, the club announced a financial loss of £53.9 million. Lerner put the club up for sale on 12 May 2014, with an estimated value of £200 million.

In the 2014–15 season Aston Villa scored just 12 goals in 25 league games, the lowest in Premier League history, and Paul Lambert was sacked on 11 February 2015, Tim Sherwood succeeded him, and saved Aston Villa from relegation while also leading them to the 2015 FA Cup Final.

Sherwood was sacked in the 2015–16 season, as was his successor Rémi Garde.

Eric Black took temporary charge of the team, but was not able to prevent Villa from being relegated for the first time since 1987.

On 2 June 2016, Roberto Di Matteo was announced as the club's new manager, before being replaced by Steve Bruce on the 12th October.

Last season Villa finished in 13th place with 62 points.

The Manager – Steve Bruce

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 12th place with 56 points

A Birmingham City 0:1 (0:1)

H Millwall FC 2:2 (0:1)

A Brentford FC 0:1 (0:0)

H Barnsley FC 1:0 (0:0)

A Nottingham Forest 1:2 (1:0)

Aston Villa Last 5 Matches – Currently in 4th place with 79 points

A Hull City 0:0 (0:0)

H Reading FC 3:0 (0:0)

A Norwich City 1:3 (0:1)

H Cardiff City 1:0 (0:0)

H Leeds United 1:0 (1:0)

Fixtures of Interest that may affect Towns standing on the Table

PRESTON NORTH END VS NORWICH CITY

LEEDS UNITED VS BARNSLEY F.C.

Match Referee – Simon Hooper

IPSWICH TOWN 1 ASTON VILLA 1

nicscreamer

Re: Ipswich Town v Aston Villa Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:56 am

1-3 to villa. They are fighting for something.

Ref caption - pull my finger, go on.......

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:51 am

Mike
I remember a Mick team being 2 up at Brentford on the opening game of the season going into time added on and still managed only to get a draw. :lol:
As for tomorrow think I will go for a draw although might go for something different in the prediction league.

Town 1 Villa 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:14 am

Shed on tour wrote:Mike
I remember a Mick team being 2 up at Brentford on the opening game of the season going into time added on and still managed only to get a draw. :lol:
As for tomorrow think I will go for a draw although might go for something different in the prediction league.

Town 1 Villa 1
We didn't lose though and that was that pr*ck Mcgoldricks fault lol.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 am

Bluemike wrote:

Town 1 Villa 1
I still haven’t got over it yet! :lol:
Joking aside we do seem to have a problem seeing games out, this season alone
there has been the Sheffield Wednesday game at home and Norwich and Forest away where we have thrown away winning positions late on.
Something else for the new manager to sort out.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:42 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Town 1 Villa 1
I still haven’t got over it yet! :lol:
Joking aside we do seem to have a problem seeing games out, this season alone
there has been the Sheffield Wednesday game at home and Norwich and Forest away where we have thrown away winning positions late on.
Something else for the new manager to sort out.
Gut wrenching though it is .... at least it’s surely better we have a lead to lose, than just not properly go out there to win. Most frustrating is not seemigly trying for that win or equaliser ... how many times have we seen a negative sub trying to hold onto a 0-1 deficit.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 am

Was at that FA Cup game in the video clip back in 75.
Thought we were out at 2-0 down, great match with a tremendous atmosphere. The same result tomorrow would do nicely.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Could be a quiet afternoon, not much to separate either side. Maybe we'll win it by one goal and no return. Frustrating that the team finds itself again in mid league obscurity playing out a handful of immaterial fixtures at this stage of the campaign but really it's nothing new. Can't wait for the team to become competitive once again and challenging the promotion places at end of season, it can only be a matter of time and vigilance.

Ipswich 1 Aston Villa 0

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Yeah it's f**king groundhog day !!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Crap Line up.....Klug Out !!!!

itfc76trev

Post by itfc76trev » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:Crap Line up.....Klug Out !!!!
You are a disgrace things are so much better under Klug. You numbskull

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Lmfao I'm sitting opposite this arsehole and he's agreeing with me !!! Bloody numbskull....Dilly Dilly

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Would be nice to end the season on a high but not sure it will happen. A few goals and an exciting game would be good but most likely a dull draw. I’ve predicted 0-0 but would love the fans to see a 3-3 thriller or even better Town win 3 points in front of 20000 fans.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Ipswich Line Up

33 Bialkowski
12 Spence
27 Carter-Vickers
3. Knudsen
18 Ward
8. Skuse
19 Hyam
22 Nydam
30 Kenlock
11 Celina
9 Waghorn

Substitutes

16 Connolly
20 Sears
24 Crowe
25 Gleeson
32 Carayol
34 Folami
40 Smith

I think I’d prefer to see Connolly in ahead of Hyam but otherwise no complaints. Let’s hope for a decent game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Another ex Town player returns to haunt us, this time it’s Conor Hourihane who scores the opener for Villa. Some will recall he spent a year at Portman Road but didn’t get a single game during his one year contract.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:42 pm

42 mins and we have a red card

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:42 pm

First game of the season i have missed.

Happy days and thank goodness for that.

Wondering whether Brian is getting the bird and booing

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:56 pm

0-4.:(

This is what we wished for .... why didn’t anyone warn us about this?

Sounds like the red card was harsh.

COYB.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:01 pm

tangfastic wrote:0-4.:(

This is what we wished for .... why didn’t anyone warn us about this?

Sounds like the red card was harsh.

COYB.

Had a lot of harsh decisions go against us for some time.

3 shots, 1 on target says it all. Wasn't there, Maybe my 4th game missed in 2 seasons.

Looking forward to the match reports

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Watched this on live stream. Team selection poor, pace Ipswich played at prior to sending off slow. Defending was far too deep before Villa scored. After sending off, substitutions baffling. All in all a disgrace. We need to get someone in who can teach them how to pass. Knudsen, Hyam and Kenlock were awful.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Bright side..Only two games left of this season :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Bring back Mick, it's going from bad to worse :wink: Again I was disappointed with the Line Up, Three defensive Midfielders again and Celina who has no future here starting up front instead of either Carayol or Folami, Ward again at RWB instead of Barry Cotter who it would seem has picked up an injury and not even in the squad. Things certainly didn't go our way when we needed them to as for me it was a pretty even game up until the first goal which was due to a large slice of luck, following that the red card which was correct by the way really did end the game as a contest.

I thought we actually started ok and the tempo appeared to be much better than normal from a Town point of view, the opening few minutes saw Kenlock miss a good chance at the back post as he totally fluffed his contact with the ball when in a good shooting position. Villa were certainly looking the slicker of the Two teams when in possession but were not troubling our goal, Knudsen had another effort mid way through the half which was defended with with ease. I thought Skusey had started the game as well as anyone in a Town shirt and crucially he got his head to a couple of dangerous balls into the box when Villa looked to get ahead. The way in which we fell behind was very unfortunate as grabben sent in a shot that crashed off a Town defender and onto the post as Bart went the other way, typically it fell to a Villa man who had the simplest of jobs in tapping it into the empty net, there had been little in the game up until that point so was a tad harsh on Town.

Town heads did not go down though and with the fans behind them they still tried to get forward but Villa were definitley growing in confidence and looking much the bettr of the two sides going forward. With HT approaching we really did give ourselves a mountain to climb ad Grant ward was shown a straight red for a foul on Taylor and by all accounts it was not a particularly good tackle and there seemed little complaint from the Town bench. If things were tough before the red they were going to prove nigh on impossible after the break.

In truth the second half was all Villa as the numerical advantage proved to be way too much for Town to cope with, attack after attack was coming Villas way and the possession stats were getting very one sided. The hopeless celina made way for the hopeless Freddie Sears and within a m inute or two it was 2-0, this time Lewis Grabban doing the business as he wriggled free before hitting a decent effort which sailed passed Bart. One way traffic doesn't come close to describing the flow of play in the second period and Town were virtually anonymous as an attacking force. Town did almost get in following some good work by Spence who surged through the Villa rearguard before playing in Waghorn but the pass was just a tiny bit too hard and ran through to the keeper. Not long after it was 3-0 as sloppy defending gifted grabban his second goal of the afternoon. The worse it got the more the North stand sang and got behind the boys in Blue, song after song bellowed out, you would have thought we were winning 3-0, just like days of old. Villa were rampant now and attacking at will and soon it was to become 4-0, this time sub Lansbury getting his head to a cross to steer it home when under little pressure. Again the North stand to a man sung their hears out and got behind the boys.

Clearly the scoreline looks like a thrashing and in reality it is but it is also a little bit false in as much as things contrived to work against us when we were well in the game and looking the more dangerous, the nature of the deflection that set up the opening goal was a real kick in the teeth and then the red card really did seal out fate, however the lads didnt give up and tried to keep going despite chasing shadows for much of the second half. I expected little from these remaining Four games and in truth that is probably what we are going to get. Seeing the stands pretty full was a pleasing sight and the atmosphere was superb but lets not be under any illusions, whoever the new manager is has a hell of a job because yes the fans were superb today but that won't stay that way for long if we are getting humped like that once he is in place, it was a statement to ME and MM as much as anything that progress has in their eyes at least been made with the removal of the manager, the scoreline however suggests otherwise.

Bart (6) Ward (5) Spence (6) Carter-Vickers (6) Knudsen (6) Kenlock (5) Hyam (5) Skuse (6) Nydam (6) Celina (5) Waghorn (6)

SUBS :- Sears (5) Connelly (5) Folami (6)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks for the report Mike, it must take some real energy to find the enthusiasm to produce this after such a disappointing result. The fans were superb today?, maybe something to do with the fact that thousands of them probably hadn’t been to Portman Road for a while ?
I hate to say it but had MM still been in post I doubt we’d have lost by this margin as he’d have shut up shop at half time to keep the score line respectable. Maybe the result highlights how experienced he was and how well he did with the resources made available to him. That said Villa’s finishing looked pretty clinical today, especially for a side that had only scored one goal and picked up one point from their previous three away games at Norwich, Hull and Bolton.
For me it again highlights just how important our next managerial appointment is and how much this League isn’t the right place for inexperience.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Game was irrelevant, we were playing for zero but still disappointing to learn had been neaten by such a comprehensive score. Caught some game highlights and the dismissal seemed warranted and Bialkowski couldn't be faulted for all goals against but some of the defending for the others was, in a word, questionable.

Only positive to take from it seems the attendance, the stadium saw more participation than many times this season (no doubt due in part to McCarthy's resignation) but shame those who took the trouble to attend were witness to something of an embarrassment. One or two "individuals" will throw the obligatory tantrum but like it or not it's been another season to forget, and we possess players who are too often nowhere near good enough and there requires considerable rebuilding during the close season.

Seemed at times the players showed minimal interest in trying to get anything from today or restore some pride to the club name.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:05 am

Worth pointing out we did lose 3-0 to hull at home, 3-0 to derby at home, battered by Fulham at home twice all with Mick in charge with 11 men. Would yesterday have happened if he were in charge? I don't know,the sending off gave us no chance.

I felt a few players just looked a bit demoralised. We need to just see this season out and start afresh

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:58 am

BOYS 0 - MEN 4

It's what happens when a team with class (Grabban, Grealish, Lansbury) plays a team with absolutely no class at all.

I cannot for the life of me see anything other than relegation next season.

EVANS - this is what happens when you buy a football club and use it solely as a tax loss against your main company so you and your shareholders get richer.
Sort it out or f..k off; you avaricious, ignominious c..t.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:53 am

rossi wrote:BOYS 0 - MEN 4

It's what happens when a team with class (Grabban, Grealish, Lansbury) plays a team with absolutely no class at all.

I cannot for the life of me see anything other than relegation next season.

EVANS - this is what happens when you buy a football club and use it solely as a tax loss against your main company so you and your shareholders get richer.
Sort it out or f..k off; you avaricious, ignominious c..t.

So you don’t like him then Rossi. :lol:

I’ve always held the same opinion that getting rid of Evans ownership was more important than getting rid of McCarthy.

I also agree that we could be staring at relegation next season if we don’t appoint a class manager sometime soon and give him some resources to work with. Unfortunately I can’t imagine many class managers would want to work with Evans given his modus operandi.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:55 am

As has already been said once the sending off happened it was game over.
Not saying that Villa still wouldn't have taken all 3 points if it had stayed 11 v 11 but I think we could have caused them some problems.
As for if Mick had still been here we would have shut up shop and the end result would have been a lot closer, we will never know. Under Mick we went down to 10 men at Fulham earlier in the season and then went on to concede 3 goals in about 11 minutes. Well we know that the new manager is going to have a difficult job whoever it might be and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:03 am

That’s a depressing read from Rossi.

Maybe it’s true that we’ll get relegated. Personally, I still prefer the option of a new start than the same old thing from Mick, even if our chances of relegation increase next year.

ME could well be the sole reason .... but I can’t see him going, so maybe we need to concentrate on the footballing side than look at excuses.

If we finish next season just above the relegation zone, but after introducing new and young players with a genuine attempt to build something, I would prefer that than a 12th position of attrition from Mick.

We’ll have players next season who’ve kept us mid table, so it’s not being overly optimistic to think we can at least come fourth from bottom. We haven’t even got a new manager yet. Hardly think that a 0-4 dead rubber game with 10 men is reason to be too negative for next season.

Was actually more pissed of because we didn’t even attempt to properly take apart Burton at home earlier this season... and we even drew that one.