Arsene Wenger

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

BLUEBLOOD

Arsene Wenger

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Arsene wenger to leave Arsenal at end of season coming to town...?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Arsene Wenger

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm

f*ck i hope not, backward step.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Looks like Mevans has already asked.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 pm

marko69 wrote:Looks like Mevans has already asked.

PMSL :lol: Good one Marko

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Nice idea but not a goddamn chance. Simply not feasible that a name of such stature and recognition would drop down to Championship level and continue at a club of considerable opposite size and ambition. Must be near 70 years of age now, possibly the decision to retire will prove final in the days and weeks ahead.

Furthermore, what manager would be tempted by an owner who refuses to invest in the team and is arguably five fifths of useless ? Possibly one for the TWTD forum where time and getting things done has no value, but for anyone else this simply can't happen - won't happen. Pity really, I'd jump at the opportunity but you got more chance of bringing Herbert Chapman in by start of season than the name highlighted in this here issue.
Last edited by arana peligrosa on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:15 pm

marko69 wrote:Looks like Mevans has already asked.

That's quality! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:02 am

It just shows that football has become unbearably success hungry nearer the top. Wenger in the news this morning speaking about unrest amongst a very vocal section of the support. Semi finals of the UEFA Cup genuinely means nothing these days ———> Champions League and EPL, that’s it; fk all else matters.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:22 am

Probably one of the greatest football club managers of our generation who I’m sure could still secure a top job in the game if he really wants to. Most certainly he won’t need the money but at 68 will he be able to step immediately into retirement, maybe not.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be in receipt of plenty of top offers, but I don’t expect to see him working in the Championship.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:04 am

Charnwood wrote:Probably one of the greatest football club managers of our generation who I’m sure could still secure a top job in the game if he really wants to. Most certainly he won’t need the money but at 68 will he be able to step immediately into retirement, maybe not.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be in receipt of plenty of top offers, but I don’t expect to see him working in the Championship.
It would see what type of coach he really is, is his coaching skill, strictly bring in high value foreign players, or can he work on a shoestring budget and bring academy players through, the quality of a manager is, one who can see young talent from the lower leagues, and bring them in to form a strong bonding team, very similar to Sir Bobby's managerial days, I don't think Mr Wenger could work at Ipswich, I think he would see that as too much of a challenge and would ruin his CV

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:15 am

im actually laughing that people are being half serious that Arsene Wenger could end up being in the Championship! Cmon people, I think its more likely that Mick takes on Arsenal as his next club than that happening!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Not laughing by any means but there is a degree of humor in that some seriously believe Wenger moving into the Championship league is a feasible reality. Only viable way it could ever happen is the aforementioned name views a more serene and leisurely year or two of whatever remains of his managerial tenure at a much slower pace and away from the glare of the highest level - something that would have been in abundance during his twenty years at a business the size and stature of Arsenal Football Club.

Even then the chances are so far detached you have trouble even envisaging such a scenario. Best guess he returns to France for a last spell on native land or possibly the Japanese league one last time. Taking up a job opportunity at another English team seems so distant that in just about all probability it can never come to pass.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Just seen him in Lidl

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:17 pm

If a week’s a long time in football, then what does 22 years represent. A great thinker and innovator, who has probably given the best years of his life to the club he came to love - possibly too much, in the end. Leaving for him will seem like a bereavement; but, ultimately, for someone who was responsible for introducing so many far-sighted changes in those early years, the game moved on and passed him.

Also interesting, however, was the attention he drew to how loss of fans’ unity was damaging the club - and how his continued presence was contributing to that. So, with some inside assistance, he chose to fall on his sword in the club’s wider interest. Sound familiar?

Lessons there for ME, too, as he searches for MM’s successor. The ability to bring unity to our club is just as critical.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:Just seen him in Lidl
Apparently true....... in the queue behind Elvis.

Shame on you, Wenger..... using a German grocery outlet.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:55 am

charlton837 wrote:im actually laughing that people are being half serious that Arsene Wenger could end up being in the Championship! Cmon people, I think its more likely that Mick takes on Arsenal as his next club than that happening!

I’m laughing even more than you think anyone is even half serious that this could happen.

In all seriousness Wenger is probably past his sell by date, but like his elder London neighbour south of the river Roy Hodgson, he can probably still do a good job somewhere at the higher end of the European Football ladder.

I think if I were him i’d call it a day and look for a part time executive role like Sir Alex who still earns £2m pa for 20 days work. Nice if you can get it.