Knudsen Interview for the Sun

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Knudsen Interview for the Sun

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi Earl, you are correct in that I definitely would not want him or any other former player as the actual manager, however i think as part of the coaching/backroom team his enthusiasm and obvious affection for the club would be invaluable, i also think he would be fab as a role model for the young players coming through.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:Hi Earl, you are correct in that I definitely would not want him or any other former player as the actual manager, however i think as part of the coaching/backroom team his enthusiasm and obvious affection for the club would be invaluable, i also think he would be fab as a role model for the young players coming through.

Aha,

That is what I thought you meant.. thanks for putting me straight anyway..

Cheers

Earl

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:11 pm

I don’t believe him though. Chambo for manager, all the way!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:02 pm

You sussed me lol.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:20 am

Honestly I find it hard to understand such strong criticism for Knudsen. For sure he is no Tyrone Mings or Aaron Cresswell but he's in with a shout of playing at the World Cup finals so he must have something. And if I read the reports correctly he has actually looked pretty good on the left side of a back 3 of CBs right?

Maybe now that the whipping boy has left the club we should focus on encouraging our young talent rather than finding fault in their inevitable occasional mistakes ?

Just sayin' :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 am

I hold my hands up and say I’m guilty of criticising K-mood, Dubai. He certainly is much better in a back 3 set up, for sure.

I cannot remember which live game was on TV at my house LAST season, but I saw Jonas for the first time and was very much looking forward to the game. The impression was; “My God, that laddie is sh*t.” Maybe I’m guilty of that “first impressions last” scenario......, but he’s not had the best press since then from attending fans. Occasions since that I’ve witnessed him, less than impressed in all honesty. Reminds me of Tommy Smith....... desperate to think he’s good but it just didn’t happen.

I wouldn’t take very much from the World Cup thing either.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:44 am

Dubai Blue wrote:Honestly I find it hard to understand such strong criticism for Knudsen. For sure he is no Tyrone Mings or Aaron Cresswell but he's in with a shout of playing at the World Cup finals so he must have something. And if I read the reports correctly he has actually looked pretty good on the left side of a back 3 of CBs right?

Maybe now that the whipping boy has left the club we should focus on encouraging our young talent rather than finding fault in their inevitable occasional mistakes ?

He does look better as a centre left back, but there’s a reason why he’s being singled out.

Basically, he’s been given for three years a guaranteed place in the side. He has shown plenty of effort, but he’s had plenty of bad games and mistakes behind him. If Kenlock has come in, for example, and done ok and shown potential... he’s immediately dropped. Mick has seemed pretty quick on finding faults with certain young players if they make mistakes and they are the first to get dropped. I’m not sure if that’s very encouraging.

One of the major gripes from fans is that certain players are guaranteed a place irrespective of form. inevitably, Knudsens been singled out by fans. I can get certain players carrying more credit to keep their place in the team, but JK has had nearly three years without really having to compete for his place. For some it’s made Kenlock a better player being dropped/ignored and just focused more negativity towards JK, especially as he’s one of Mick’s favourites.

I can get some picking on JK due to his allegiance to Mick and also, conversely, why he’s supported by Mick fans as a nod to Mick and two fingers back to Mick haters. If he stays, hope he gets a clean slate and has to compete for his place.... same as everyone else.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:20 am

tangfastic wrote:
Dubai Blue wrote:Honestly I find it hard to understand such strong criticism for Knudsen. For sure he is no Tyrone Mings or Aaron Cresswell but he's in with a shout of playing at the World Cup finals so he must have something. And if I read the reports correctly he has actually looked pretty good on the left side of a back 3 of CBs right?

He does look better as a centre left back, but there’s a reason why he’s being singled out.

Basically, he’s been given for three years a guaranteed place in the side. He has shown plenty of effort, but he’s had plenty of bad games and mistakes behind him. If Kenlock has come in, for example, and done ok and shown potential... he’s immediately dropped. Mick has seemed pretty quick on finding faults with certain young players if they make mistakes and they are the first to get dropped. I’m not sure if that’s very encouraging.

One of the major gripes from fans is that certain players are guaranteed a place irrespective of form. inevitably, Knudsens been singled out by fans. I can get certain players carrying more credit to keep their place in the team, but JK has had nearly three years without really having to compete for his place. For some it’s made Kenlock a better player being dropped/ignored and just focused more negativity towards JK, especially as he’s one of Mick’s favourites.

I can get some picking on JK due to his allegiance to Mick and also, conversely, why he’s supported by Mick fans as a nod to Mick and two fingers back to Mick haters. If he stays, hope he gets a clean slate and has to compete for his place.... same as everyone else.
Tang that makes a great deal of sense. Is it possible though that Mick liked his players to have character under pressure and that this might explain the preference over Kenlock who is still young and not yet 'battle hardened'?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:31 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
tangfastic wrote:

Tang that makes a great deal of sense. Is it possible though that Mick liked his players to have character under pressure and that this might explain the preference over Kenlock who is still young and not yet 'battle hardened'?
You’re definitely right about Mick liking character in players. Not a bad thing.

Bit of a chicken and the egg situation... players like Kenlock can’t get battle hardened unless they’re given opportunities.