Malcolm Webster

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Malcolm Webster

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Town goalkeeper-coach Malcolm Webster is to retire at the end of the season.

The 67-year-old (pictured above left with fitness coach Andy Liddell) first worked with the Blues under George Burley - when he coached Richard Wright as he came through the ranks - and having followed the Scot to Derby, Hearts and Southampton, returned to Portman Road to join Paul Jewell’s staff and stayed at the club after Mick McCarthy took charge.

Born in Doncaster, Webster was with Arsenal, Fulham, Southend and Cambridge during a 16-year playing career.
Skip advertisement

Current first-choice Bartosz Bialkowski initially linked up with Webster when he went to Hearts on trial and after Burley and his staff departed from Tynecastle not long later followed the man who was to become his mentor to Southampton.

“Mally is one of the reasons I came to Ipswich. He sees things that other coaches don’t see,” Poland international Bialkowski told the club site. “He has played a massive part in my career and I can’t thank him enough.”

Town’s other senior keeper, Dean Gerken, added: “I’m glad he’s hopefully getting the retirement he deserves and moving onto pastures new, but he’ll be a big loss to the club.

“He is the best I have worked with by a country mile. He won’t just be a loss to Ipswich Town but to football in general. 

“There isn’t a goalie in any of the English leagues that he doesn’t know about - his knowledge is so vast.”
Good luck MW, maybe now we can have a goalie that can actually kick a bloody ball, or even command his area.