Final league position over Norwich City

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Is final league position over Norwich that important ?

# Yes it means something
33%
# No could not give a rat's as*
56%
# The situation is all rather indifferent
11%

Total votes: 9

arana peligrosa

Final league position over Norwich City

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Gave it some thought in recent time in that how relevant is a finish (this year for argument sake) over Norwich City to people of this club.

Have seen it read as the season comes to a finish that some are clearly excited about the prospect of a higher position than 'that club side' but after careful consideration, have arrived at a conclusion of something approaching apathy. Reason being, whatever occurs in the final two games we'll only be separated by one or two points and obviously both clubs have underachieved for another year and leave another season with zero to show from it.

They'll be more pleased with it. Let's be realistic, when your greatest achievement is winning a League Cup Final no-one outside your own club set-up can care to remember, a higher league finish over your biggest rivals provides some real incentive and reason for a level of celebration. Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps the majority of their fanbase share similar sentiment in that it's all rather trivial but acknowledge to some, this represents an opportunity for some level of honor.

Last two games we got Reading (Visit) , and Middlesbrough (Home) 56 points at present time

They have Leeds (Home) , Sheffield Wednesday (Visit) 57 points APT

Our games are tougher, there's two teams in the above with something remaining to play for - City are essentially facing off against similar teams with the season already at a finish and zero interest.

Bottom line, seems we'll finish the lower of the two in a fortnight or so but does it really matter. Is it that important an issue or do you accept it like it is. Would imagine they've seen the season as a much greater disappointment after possible expectations back in August, finishing in higher league status than ourselves would represent a very commendable achievement to a section of their support or redeem some level of value to that remains of what has to be, a season of unmatched expectation.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Final league position over Norwich City

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 am

I take my hat off to you SJ for managing to write a book despite feeling nothing but apathy towards the said subject.

As for Two teams underachieving I don't believe we have to be honest given our resources etc, they on the other hand have massively underachieved, I think the fact that with 2 games to go they are still fighting to finsh above us while we are having one of our most troubled seasons ever off the pitch tells you everything lol

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am

I’d still prefer to finish above them.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:39 pm

saint jude wrote:Gave it some thought in recent time in that how relevant is a finish (this year for argument sake) over Norwich City to people of this club.

Have seen it read as the season comes to a finish that some are clearly excited about the prospect of a higher position than 'that club side' but after careful consideration, have arrived at a conclusion of something approaching apathy. Reason being, whatever occurs in the final two games we'll only be separated by one or two points and obviously both clubs have underachieved for another year and leave another season with zero to show from it.

They'll be more pleased with it. Let's be realistic, when your greatest achievement is winning a League Cup Final no-one outside your own club set-up can care to remember, a higher league finish over your biggest rivals provides some real incentive and reason for a level of celebration. Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps the majority of their fanbase share similar sentiment in that it's all rather trivial but acknowledge to some, this represents an opportunity for some level of honor.

Last two games we got Reading (Visit) , and Middlesbrough (Home) 56 points at present time

Our games are tougher, there's two teams in the above with something remaining to play for - City are essentially facing off against similar teams with the season already at a finish and zero interest.

Bottom line, seems we'll finish the lower of the two in a fortnight or so but does it really matter. Is it that important an issue or do you accept it like it is. Would imagine they've seen the season as a much greater disappointment after possible expectations back in August, finishing in higher league status than ourselves would represent a very commendable achievement to a section of their support or redeem some level of value to that remains of what has to be, a season of unmatched expectation.
given our minimal resources, and lack of quality in our squad, I cannot for the life of me see how you think we have under-achieved

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:44 pm

rossi wrote:
saint jude wrote:Gave it some thought in recent time in that how relevant is a finish (this year for argument sake) over Norwich City to people of this club.

given our minimal resources, and lack of quality in our squad, I cannot for the life of me see how you think we have under-achieved
Maybe it's having been stuck in this damn league for what seems the dawn of time, maybe you think to yourself each and every August, "this could be our year" I.E. finally a way out and return to the top level.

Maybe there (would have been) a chance (at the time) that McCarthy would be provided substantial funds to go out and bring some adequate players to the cause that would be willing to fight for something and show enough determination so the club could be competitive. With it, he could have abandoned any and all defensive tendencies and actually gone out often enough with victory first and foremost in sight.

Fair enough, the manager was never first option to some and the owner isn't the best, but at times anyone could have envisaged when the season started the club could have made an impact and made it back to the top six. Norwich's plight is of course more prevalent, i.e. they would have been expected to at least reach the play-off zone by this time but as before, the situation applies to both.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Living in Lowestoft it's means something to me to finish above the budgies. Living in a mix of fans I have not had much to fight back with over recent years.

They have massively under achieved and from those I speak to they want their manager out. To much tippy tapped football I am told. Once their little gem is sold in the summer they will surely decline further.

On resources alone they should be miles a head of us therefore let's take what bragging rights we can

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:33 pm

I think we all want to finish above the inbreds, but in any case on underachievement they've lost hands down.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:40 am

Bluemike wrote:I think we all want to finish above the inbreds, but in any case on underachievement they've lost hands down.
You mean they’ve won? They’ve underachieved so much better than Ipswich Town.

It’s ok, knew what you meant. Just being a d1ck! Coffee machine at local McDonalds out of order and thats a crap start to any day!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:07 am

Yeah that's what I meant lol