Marcus Evans Interview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Marcus Evans Interview

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 am

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... d-tomorrow at 12pm today. Should be interesting? :shock:

Shed on tour

Re: Marcus Evans Interview

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:25 am

Expecting the same old, same old.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 am

Shelly Kerr announced as new "Exciting and something different" manager at Ipswich...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 am

:roll: Well if he hasn't noticed that the fans are the basis of a family functional run football club by now, with the 20'000 attendance against Villa, and stop keep hiding behind closed doors, come out with a positive interview today, and not only appoint a positive manager, but back him to the hilt to build a team that will entertain and push for promotion, if he doesn't do that, then this club will die without the proper backing, so come on Marcus, 10 fooking years of your playing hide and seek will not be tolerated any more, show some guts and enjoy the spoils

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am

I have a sneaky feeling we may be pleasantly surprised today although that may just be wishful thinking

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:46 am

Yes, not too long until ME casts his pearls of wisdom to the salivating pack!

Of course it’s effectively an ‘in house’ production, so don’t really expect him to be given a Paxman like going over. Still, at least some 10 years of relative silence will be broken and, importantly, at last a recognition that leadership starts from the top, and that good communication is a key element of drawing us all together. Now he’s broken the ice, and if he’s serious about repairing some major damage between the club and it’s support, then perhaps he’ll put his head over the parapet more frequently.

Anyway, looking forward to his thoughts about moving in a new direction when appointing a new manager - maybe he’ll give us a clue of who she’s likely to be. :D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:44 am

Bluemike wrote:I have a sneaky feeling we may be pleasantly surprised today although that may just be wishful thinking
Evans has sold the club??!!

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:56 am

Ricco wrote:
Bluemike wrote:I have a sneaky feeling we may be pleasantly surprised today although that may just be wishful thinking
Evans has sold the club??!!
You might be joking there, but i have heard from a source or 2 that he might be handing over to someone else, we shall see. 4 mins !!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:08 pm

That won't happen

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 pm

Ive just skimmed through it, as he is very dull to listen to. But not sure he actually said anything of note. Very disappointed. Maybe someone else can listen and find some interesting snippets?

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:31 pm

well i watched and listened to it all - and, erm nothing new, nothing confirmed, nothing exciting, nothing ! Very underwhelming

Just the same as a boring company town hall meeting "give yourself a pat on the back and we shall do better next year "

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:32 pm

No point in listening to it later then

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Pretty underwhelming. At least he’s fronted up. Will he provide more investment .... he would not give a direct answer.... so that’s pretty much a no.

25 minutes of nothing, really.... but at least he’s acknowledged that something has to change.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:42 pm

tangfastic wrote:Pretty underwhelming. At least he’s fronted up. Will he provide more investment .... he would not give a direct answer.... so that’s pretty much a no.

25 minutes of nothing, really.... but at least he’s acknowledged that something has to change.
I'm glad it wasn't just me then! What a damp squib. I cant wait till we actually get some proper news.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:01 pm

so.......stick to the 5 point plan, no additional investment to current because he spent money in the past and that didn't work, new manager has to have a plan B and C in addition to plan A.

In fact, nothing new at all - no hope, just same old same old and hope it will work one day.

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but its what I expected.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:09 pm

As I said earlier on this thread same old, same old.
Not at all surprised though.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Well if there was going to be a new manager announcement, at this point it would only be an unemployed manager, with those linked being Pardew, McClaren and Gerrard, I'm slightly relieved as I certainly don't like the idea other the former two!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:16 pm

he basically just dropped in points that fans had been asking for ie. playing from the back etc.

He didn't give much substance to the interview, very much a lot of waffling, however I want to see actions not words, that will be the true test.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:27 pm

:roll: He raised a point about a possible near future sell out to the right investor and management team, :shock: well the only one I can think of is McLaren and his consortium, that'll please a certain someone if it happened, :lol: :lol: but back to the interview, basically its all down to the best applicant, and there's a few in there that we don't know about, so it will be very interesting who he appoints as Micks replacement, although Paul Cook is favourite, I just cant see him leaving Wigan, too stronger pull, and the other promotion managers are in the same boat, the only person who can work with no money is Gary White :shock: :shock: or an outsider could be Chris Coleman :roll: but something good has got to happen, otherwise the fans will stay away again, he's got to get it right this time, and with Mick :o advising him it could be a shock selection, :roll: ( A bit like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you will get until you bite it) :wink:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:01 pm

ashfordblue wrote::roll: He raised a point about a possible near future sell out to the right investor and management team, :shock: well the only one I can think of is McLaren and his consortium, that'll please a certain someone if it happened, :lol: :lol: but back to the interview, basically its all down to the best applicant, and there's a few in there that we don't know about, so it will be very interesting who he appoints as Micks replacement, although Paul Cook is favourite, I just cant see him leaving Wigan, too stronger pull, and the other promotion managers are in the same boat, the only person who can work with no money is Gary White :shock: :shock: or an outsider could be Chris Coleman :roll: but something good has got to happen, otherwise the fans will stay away again, he's got to get it right this time, and with Mick :o advising him it could be a shock selection, :roll: ( A bit like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you will get until you bite it) :wink:
Forest Gump will be the new manager then!! :wink:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:38 pm

ashfordblue wrote::roll: He raised a point about a possible near future sell out to the right investor and management team, :shock: well the only one I can think of is McLaren and his consortium, that'll please a certain someone if it happened, :lol: :lol: but back to the interview, basically its all down to the best applicant, and there's a few in there that we don't know about, so it will be very interesting who he appoints as Micks replacement, although Paul Cook is favourite, I just cant see him leaving Wigan, too stronger pull, and the other promotion managers are in the same boat, the only person who can work with no money is Gary White :shock: :shock: or an outsider could be Chris Coleman :roll: but something good has got to happen, otherwise the fans will stay away again, he's got to get it right this time, and with Mick :o advising him it could be a shock selection, :roll: ( A bit like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you will get until you bite it) :wink:
Please tell me you're having a laugh with Chris Coleman, Ashford. Has anyone mentioned Stuart Pearce yet, another nobody. Or what about the manager of Leiston, they are doing quite well, not to mention the bloke(s) at Felixstowe & Walton.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:49 pm

Well I liked his interview. He came across as a very genuine man, and I have changed my opinion of him on hearing his interview day. I’d go so far as to say, I now trust the man.

I think he summarised where the Club was at the time of McCarthy appointment well , and at that time, McCarthy was the right man for the job, but he acknowledges that we need to progress, and the next manager will need to provide a different skill set to those of McCarthy. Again I agree.

He states that he Academy was not working optimally 6 years ago...and now we are seeing youngsters come through. I agree with this. He wants to see the Club (1st team) supplied more from our academy . This I agree with , and it IS begining to happen.

The new manager must be willing to incorporate these youngsters into the senior team. McCarthy only ever did this when injuries forced his hand. The new manager will be expected to bring the younger players on. Our style of Football has to be more attractive ....” playing out from the back”. I agree and have yearned for us to do this . Under McCarthy this rarely happened. The new manager will need to bring this to the first team .

Investment will continue to be made. He makes a valid point that many Clubs have pumped £m’s in and yet are still in the Championship - you can’t argue with this . It’s a fact! Derby look to be cocking it up yet again this season don’t they! Sheffield Wednesday have been far from convincing despite the millions their owners have pumped in.

I found it interesting to hear that we have an established back room staff who work across all the teams at ITFC in the Sports science field. This is very much a progression. although I do question the cause of so many “ season long”injuries sustained this season and last season. However it’s interesting to note that the Club is no longer reliant upon a manager and his side kick any more, nor that individual managers own scouting network. Something which Jewell suffered from during his tenure, or lack of it anyway!

I feel happy that from now on the STYLE of play at ITFC will look t9 foster a seamless style that runs throughout ALL the teams from U9’s through to the senior 1st team, of playing out from the back , where possible! One of my major criticisms of McCarthy was his style of football, which was different from anything the youngsters are being coached under the guidance of Nash and Klug etc . The youngsters were having to massive adaptations in their football once they hit the first team, IMO this was too much to expect of them. It will be very interesting to see how things pan out under the new manager next season.

I’m feeling positive, and looking forward to next season. Something I’ve not had in me for at least 3 seasons under Mick McCarthy I’m afraid.

COYB’s

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:21 pm

I’ll reserve judgement until we see who the new manager is. Talking a good job is one thing, making it work is another, andin my opinion everything now depends on who Mr Evans appoints to make it happen, get it wrong and it wont happen.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:Well I liked his interview. He came across as a very genuine man, and I have changed my opinion of him on hearing his interview day. I’d go so far as to say, I now trust the man.

I think he summarised where the Club was at the time of McCarthy appointment well , and at that time, McCarthy was the right man for the job, but he acknowledges that we need to progress, and the next manager will need to provide a different skill set to those of McCarthy. Again I agree.

He states that he Academy was not working optimally 6 years ago...and now we are seeing youngsters come through. I agree with this. He wants to see the Club (1st team) supplied more from our academy . This I agree with , and it IS begining to happen.

The new manager must be willing to incorporate these youngsters into the senior team. McCarthy only ever did this when injuries forced his hand. The new manager will be expected to bring the younger players on. Our style of Football has to be more attractive ....” playing out from the back”. I agree and have yearned for us to do this . Under McCarthy this rarely happened. The new manager will need to bring this to the first team .

Investment will continue to be made. He makes a valid point that many Clubs have pumped £m’s in and yet are still in the Championship - you can’t argue with this . It’s a fact! Derby look to be cocking it up yet again this season don’t they! Sheffield Wednesday have been far from convincing despite the millions their owners have pumped in.

I found it interesting to hear that we have an established back room staff who work across all the teams at ITFC in the Sports science field. This is very much a progression. although I do question the cause of so many “ season long”injuries sustained this season and last season. However it’s interesting to note that the Club is no longer reliant upon a manager and his side kick any more, nor that individual managers own scouting network. Something which Jewell suffered from during his tenure, or lack of it anyway!

I feel happy that from now on the STYLE of play at ITFC will look t9 foster a seamless style that runs throughout ALL the teams from U9’s through to the senior 1st team, of playing out from the back , where possible! One of my major criticisms of McCarthy was his style of football, which was different from anything the youngsters are being coached under the guidance of Nash and Klug etc . The youngsters were having to massive adaptations in their football once they hit the first team, IMO this was too much to expect of them. It will be very interesting to see how things pan out under the new manager next season.

I’m feeling positive, and looking forward to next season. Something I’ve not had in me for at least 3 seasons under Mick McCarthy I’m afraid.

COYB’s
I must admit I found it more positive than negative. Let's hope the appointment is positive as well.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:28 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Please tell me you're having a laugh with Chris Coleman, Ashford. Has anyone mentioned Stuart Pearce yet, another nobody. Or what about the manager of Leiston, they are doing quite well, not to mention the bloke(s) at Felixstowe & Walton.
Yep your correct Billy I was having a laugh

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:29 pm

Well i did listen to it and I am with Hallamblue all the way, a very open and honest interview and I didnt find much at all to disagree with, of course people want to hear him say that there is another 20 million for the new manager to spend but anyone with a brain cell knew that wasn't going to happen. I actually quite liked the bloke and how he spoke, first impressions go a long way.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:38 pm

I was underwhelmed, but maybe because I expected to hear more.

Apart from that, he came across well. He can easily dodge direct questions like a seasoned politician, but would not put it against him. We’ll see over time whether he’ll back up his words.

Important thing .... he’s visible and prepared to say we need change and has some kind of plan.

No one wants a clown-like, in-yer-face, interfering owner, but he should have done something like this long ago. Him staying invisible just added to the uncertainty.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:56 pm

For me I would have liked the change of direction mentioned at the beginning of the interview rather than at the end so he could have been pressed more on it and given an indication of what this actually meant.
We are still going to work under the 5 point plan, investment in the squad sounds like it is still going to be kept as low as possible, and basically we can’t compete in financial terms with a lot of teams in the transfer market.
IMO we already knew the above points. I just got the impression that the change of direction quote was there just to try and help the early bird season ticket sales rather than having a great deal of substance to it.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:50 pm

Bluemike wrote:Well i did listen to it and I am with Hallamblue all the way, a very open and honest interview and I didnt find much at all to disagree with, of course people want to hear him say that there is another 20 million for the new manager to spend but anyone with a brain cell knew that wasn't going to happen. I actually quite liked the bloke and how he spoke, first impressions go a long way.
With you & Hallam on this one. Some will say talk is cheap, but i think he came across as caring and genuine. Having read 4 pages of conments on TWTD, my opinion is that this interview has generally gone down pretty well, in fact, rather surprisingly, more so than the initial comments on this site.

I can accept that there is very little money to invest in new players and that a productive youth conveyor belt is vital. As Hallam mentions, the high volume of injuries do make our training/sports science methods questionable, but with a fully fit squad (we can hope lol) i think we have the makings of a pretty decent squad! A midfield that has missed Huws, Adeyemi, Dozzell, Downes, Bishop (3 of our own) for most of the season will certainly be appealing options to any new manager.

Marcus has laid his cards on the table, well as much as any decent business owner could actually do. Ok many fans already knew most of his hand! The key thing his interview achieved for me , is that i feel more reassured, i feel a bit more positive that the Captain of HMS ITFC has at last come out and let us know which direction he would like the club to sail, rather than leaving others to do it or worse still for most to assume we are heading for an iceberg.

This fan is going to draw a line in the sand and see this as a new adventure, giving Marcus and the new manager my support.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:11 pm

At least he has stated that we are going to try something different,quite genuine I thought.