Marcus Evans Interview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

barmy billy

Re: Marcus Evans Interview

Post by barmy billy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:18 pm

I've just sat and watched the interview and come away favourably impressed. The mere fact that he has appeared and spoken in public will I think bring a lot of people onside which can only be a good thing. He is more articulate than I imagined and got his points across very well concerning the future of the club and what he is looking for in a new manager. Pleased to hear that he has no pre-conceived ideas about MM's successor and it will undoubtedly be a difficult job: I don't envy him.

Overall, I think he has done himself and ITFC some good.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

ME has laid it out as it. Given his timing in choosing to break cover, I would imagine the questions were actually formed around the issues he clearly wanted to raise, and the hard facts he clearly wanted to get across. That said, he covered most of the bases that folk on here, TWTD and the local media have been discussing for a long time. It also provided an insight into how ME sees the role of Ian Milne - responsible for all non-footballing matters, but also providing on the ground feedback from supporters’ meetings etc. Eyes and ears etc.

In truth, apart from adopting a fresh approach to appointing MM’s successor, there’s no fundamental change to his principles - linked to resources - regarding how to best achieve success. But we’ve heard it from the horse’s mouth, so it will hopefully help calibrate our expectations, and stick in people’s minds when calling for more than he’s willing or able to give.

It was the sort of interview you would expect a self-made millionaire businessman to give. Confident, in control, on top of both the big and small detail, cleverly mentioning his children and probably knowing more about the basics of football than Ian Milne! But, he’s clearly deeply committed to the club’s best interests, desperately wants to repair the damage that’s slowly grown over the past two years, and sees the club as playing a key role within the local community. In short, starting a healing process. Today’s interview was the first step - but it’s a long road to travel.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:34 pm

hallamblue wrote:Well I liked his interview. He came across as a very genuine man, and I have changed my opinion of him on hearing his interview day. I’d go so far as to say, I now trust the man.

I think he summarised where the Club was at the time of McCarthy appointment well , and at that time, McCarthy was the right man for the job, but he acknowledges that we need to progress, and the next manager will need to provide a different skill set to those of McCarthy. Again I agree.

He states that he Academy was not working optimally 6 years ago...and now we are seeing youngsters come through. I agree with this. He wants to see the Club (1st team) supplied more from our academy . This I agree with , and it IS begining to happen.

The new manager must be willing to incorporate these youngsters into the senior team. McCarthy only ever did this when injuries forced his hand. The new manager will be expected to bring the younger players on. Our style of Football has to be more attractive ....” playing out from the back”. I agree and have yearned for us to do this . Under McCarthy this rarely happened. The new manager will need to bring this to the first team .

Investment will continue to be made. He makes a valid point that many Clubs have pumped £m’s in and yet are still in the Championship - you can’t argue with this . It’s a fact! Derby look to be cocking it up yet again this season don’t they! Sheffield Wednesday have been far from convincing despite the millions their owners have pumped in.

I found it interesting to hear that we have an established back room staff who work across all the teams at ITFC in the Sports science field. This is very much a progression. although I do question the cause of so many “ season long”injuries sustained this season and last season. However it’s interesting to note that the Club is no longer reliant upon a manager and his side kick any more, nor that individual managers own scouting network. Something which Jewell suffered from during his tenure, or lack of it anyway!

I feel happy that from now on the STYLE of play at ITFC will look t9 foster a seamless style that runs throughout ALL the teams from U9’s through to the senior 1st team, of playing out from the back , where possible! One of my major criticisms of McCarthy was his style of football, which was different from anything the youngsters are being coached under the guidance of Nash and Klug etc . The youngsters were having to massive adaptations in their football once they hit the first team, IMO this was too much to expect of them. It will be very interesting to see how things pan out under the new manager next season.

I’m feeling positive, and looking forward to next season. Something I’ve not had in me for at least 3 seasons under Mick McCarthy I’m afraid.

COYB’s
Summed up perfectly. He also mentioned the long term injuries. Let's hope this is all backed up with the right manager. Sounds like an up and coming younger manager to me.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Reluctantly watched it due to the “underwhelmed” posts, but I’m with Hallam; I thought it was an excellent interview. Very different to what I expected. Someone mentioned politician-like and dodging questions, but he answered everything quite clearly.

Regarding selling the club..... he said “No, I don’t want to sell” ..... but then made reference to there not being any Chinese or Arabs rushing along the A12! :lol: That’s the only part that made me think; if a genuine offer landed on his doorstep, he’d sell.

Does he play guitar? He could start a Pink Floyd tribute band..... he’s very like Dave Gilmour.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Why are some people so overwhelmed in a positive way after this interview? What has 25 minutes of that interview changed? Why all of sudden have some warmed to him? Just the same old platitudes, same old guff. We're gonna stick to the same policy in a hope it'll somehow work.

He keeps waffling about that 5 points plan.

He didn't say anything that we didn't know so why are some people so enchanted?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Whelmed. Not over, or under.

Can’t speak for everyone, but I’ve got absolutely nothing to compare that interview with; first time I’ve ever seen him speak about the club so not qualified to say “same old guff”. Could be though.

He spoke clearly enough for the financial climate the championship is currently in. Can only assume a multi billionaire owner is what some are yearning for. In which case, I can see many years of unhappiness and negative posts. Hopefully the new manager can help towards this though.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:Why are some people so overwhelmed in a positive way after this interview? What has 25 minutes of that interview changed? Why all of sudden have some warmed to him? Just the same old platitudes, same old guff. We're gonna stick to the same policy in a hope it'll somehow work.

He keeps waffling about that 5 points plan.

He didn't say anything that we didn't know so why are some people so enchanted?
For me the fact that he has, albeit much overdue, finally shown that there is a person behind what was increasingly looking like a faceless entity. He has reached out to the fans and i for one can warm to that. Does it all of a sudden change who Marcus Evans is in terms of his ownership, no not at all, but at least i have something tangible to finally base my opinions on. Maybe we have learnt nothing new, but we have heard it from the horse's mouth at long last.
When i look back at David Sheepshank's (love him or loathe him) tenure, i think his media presence helped to build a better picture of the man he was (or wanted to apoear, some might cynically say). The same applies with ME.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:32 am

marko69 wrote:Reluctantly watched it due to the “underwhelmed” posts, but I’m with Hallam; I thought it was an excellent interview. Very different to what I expected. Someone mentioned politician-like and dodging questions, but he answered everything quite clearly.

Regarding selling the club..... he said “No, I don’t want to sell” ..... but then made reference to there not being any Chinese or Arabs rushing along the A12! :lol: That’s the only part that made me think; if a genuine offer landed on his doorstep, he’d sell.

Does he play guitar? He could start a Pink Floyd tribute band..... he’s very like Dave Gilmour.
Marko, it’s maybe wrong to say he dodged questions, but when asked if there was going to be more investement he pretty much went a long-winded politicians way to say no. He could have just said no. Doesn’t matter, I thought he was articulate and relaxed speaking in front of a camera.
Could well have done that once or twice a season or whenever there was some rumblings of a crisis in the past, just to try to smooth things over and show he has real interest still.
For me, I didn’t think he said anything ground-breaking or anything to get anyone too excited.I’m just glad he’s taken the time to appear on camera. It’s very much in line with trying to instill some much-needed unity.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 am

I recall a conversation whilst at the bar before ME was announced as the new owner at players night where i had a good meaning full chat with him, Though at the time was not aware of who he was,Only a message from one of our long standing small investors that he had taken a photo of me and ME locked in deep conversation.

Then he gave me no indication as to who he was only that he had flown in from Bermuda to watch the game ect...I do recall explaining the passion and desire of a football fan and what it means to us and the community in general.

Watching his performance now he does still come across as sincere and purposeful as he did then saying all the right things. Yes i agree with Liz in many ways but im ever cautious as to Macs stance on this too........He knows that he needs the fan base on board to bring some harmony and revenue to this club. The fans at this football club have been hood winked far too often and we are now more cautious.

In my opinion the youth of tomorrow is our ticket out of the championship....Town will need to find the next big starlets and allow them to prosper under a side that plays football and not hoofball . More importantly we must retain those players unless a stupid amount of money is offered. Fans understand that we are a selling club.......But the club must understand that we also want to support a competitive club.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:50 pm

loudnproud wrote:I recall a conversation whilst at the bar before ME was announced as the new owner at players night where i had a good meaning full chat with him, Though at the time was not aware of who he was,Only a message from one of our long standing small investors that he had taken a photo of me and ME locked in deep conversation.

Then he gave me no indication as to who he was only that he had flown in from Bermuda to watch the game ect...I do recall explaining the passion and desire of a football fan and what it means to us and the community in general.

Watching his performance now he does still come across as sincere and purposeful as he did then saying all the right things. Yes i agree with Liz in many ways but im ever cautious as to Macs stance on this too........He knows that he needs the fan base on board to bring some harmony and revenue to this club. The fans at this football club have been hood winked far too often and we are now more cautious.

In my opinion the youth of tomorrow is our ticket out of the championship....Town will need to find the next big starlets and allow them to prosper under a side that plays football and not hoofball . More importantly we must retain those players unless a stupid amount of money is offered. Fans understand that we are a selling club.......But the club must understand that we also want to support a competitive club.
Well said! As always

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:52 pm

I find it interesting that so many found him to be honest and sincere and committed - and have changed their opinions of him.

He's a marketing professional, and a very successful one too.

Of course, it's easy for him to come across the way he thinks fans will want him to - doesn't mean that's what he's really like though.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 pm

At whatever end of the opinion spectrum we stand - from dubious cynics, to individuals who seem to have experienced a Damascus-like conversion during a 20 minute interview - the fact is that, love or loathe him, ME’s likely to be around for the foreseeable future. (The chances of Russian oligarchs, or squillionaire Arabs travelling up the A12 are remote: in any case, given the daily traffic chaos, they’d travel by helicopter!). So whilst he remains the only cash-cow in town, without whom we’d be in a far darker place, probably best to try and accept the realities of what he actually said. Admittedly, as far as levels of future investment are concerned, there’s unlikely to be any significant change. I didn’t expect there to be; and that will probably help to refine the eventual managerial short-list. ME actually outlined the revised Job Description as the interview progressed.

He’s clearly learned some lessons during MM’s reign, regarding the need to get the internal structures and footballing philosophy of the club right; the role the next incumbent will have in achieving that and how quickly it is to lose a very loyal supporters’ base, through poor decision making and neglect. If the actions he now takes to address those issues are positive, and he communicates directly and more often, then that will go a long way to achieving the degree of unity that he says he wants to get back.

The right choice of manager, as everyone recognises, is critical. But so is understanding exactly where ME is coming from. I think it’s still OK to be optimistic now that ME (aka David Gilmour) has re-set the controls.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Evans knew that if the club was to succeed he needed the fans on side, that is the only reason he has come forward now and also reduced ticket prices. He has been fast approaching a head on conflict with the fans, and much of the sh*t flung at McCarthy was meant for him, he was merely out of flinging distance.

A bad appointment and dodgy start to next season could easily have seen the fans turn on him and the club start to self destruct. This interview may give the new manager a bit more breathing space and time than he otherwise would've had and should boost season ticket sales. That's me being positive, it hopefully at least suggests he wants this club to succeed and it's not a tax swindle. Good of him to come forward, but I really feel for McCarthy who had f*ck all support from this bloke and he basically chucked McCarthy under the bus in the interview too, apart from that, to me it just came across as a scripted, fairly bland, politician-esque statement.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:22 pm

I just wonder what people expected him to say different tbh, apart from there is a bottomless pit of money for the new manager to spend? Everything he said made sense regarding the academy and supply of young talent, the need for the manager to wheel and deal with Waghorn like signings, to have the ability to play attractive football and have a plan B and C when needed. I would just like to know what the sceptics wanted to hear that wasn't covered ?

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:49 pm

It was an event that had to happen - whether viewed as a calculated business-based decision, or a genuine attempt to connect with supporters in an open and honest way. Reality says it had elements of both, which I don’t have a problem with.

Having now seen the whites of his eyes, actions to match the words now the way forward.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:I just wonder what people expected him to say different tbh, apart from there is a bottomless pit of money for the new manager to spend? Everything he said made sense regarding the academy and supply of young talent, the need for the manager to wheel and deal with Waghorn like signings, to have the ability to play attractive football and have a plan B and C when needed. I would just like to know what the sceptics wanted to hear that wasn't covered ?
I quite agree, Mike. ITFC is what it is: a Championship club with pretensions of playing with big boys. We have an owner ploughing 'x' millions of his own money to keep us solvent and unless someone else appears this a situation we have to accept, like it or not. ME says he wants a manager whose team will play football from the back and also have a plan B & C. We saw none of those things from MCCarthy and I take as hopefully boding well for the future.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Things could have been handled far better, this could have happened 10 years ago for starters. I don't like the way he barely uttered a word of support for McCarthy during his tenure and gave him bugger all money to invest, even after he had proven his competence. Now all of a sudden he's happy to show his face and even criticise McCarthy's style of play and management and raises doubts over his ability to take a club like ours forwards, even though he has done so in the past and has performed admirably with cash Evans could've found down the back of his couch.

Academy stuff is great, I think it's key, but it's a bit too early for him to be waving his willy around, shouting about how much he's improved it.

I'm not going to take a carefully planned 'interview' and change my mind on the bloke. I'm glad he's done it, I think the club will be in a better place for it and may get some more bums on seats, but do I think he's doing it for any other reason than it makes business sense? Absolutely not. Thanks Marcus, but lots more work to be done.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:54 pm

One thing is for sure...... there will be a team to support or not, depending on your opinion. The world will still go on, hopefully, we will be here at the start of next season full of hope and expectations. Who knows we may be pleasantly surprised.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Yup, not a lot any of us can do (unless someone here is a billionaire?), moaning in the stands won't help, so may as well get behind the team and try and enjoy the ride!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Watership Down wrote:The world will still go on, hopefully, we will be here at the start of next season......
That is worrying. Haven't witnessed any BBC News today........., What's Trump been up to now?!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:I just wonder what people expected him to say different tbh, apart from there is a bottomless pit of money for the new manager to spend? Everything he said made sense regarding the academy and supply of young talent, the need for the manager to wheel and deal with Waghorn like signings, to have the ability to play attractive football and have a plan B and C when needed. I would just like to know what the sceptics wanted to hear that wasn't covered ?
I think since that this was recorded on Saturday and then the through the press we heard the crux of this is that “we will do something completely different” ( or whatever) which caused a bit of a interest prior to the interview.

Hearing that, I think a lot of us expected we would hear HOW we would do something different.
Obviously, that was not the case. Just the five point plan. Anyone can write that.

It’s not really what he said, but the fact he showed himself to us is significant.

As Rossi says... this is milk and drink to someone of Evans stature who can talk his way around a bullet point plan.

Perhaps underwhelming to some but come June we’ll see by his appointment where he intends to go. And nice to see you, Marcus, at last.... and I actually liked your shirt.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:32 pm

herforder wrote:.... ME (aka David Gilmour) has re-set the controls.
Just had time to read over the comments. And ^^^^^ :D VERY good! I like it.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:43 pm

tangfastic wrote:
I think since that this was recorded on Saturday and then the through the press we heard the crux of this is that “we will do something completely different” ( or whatever) which caused a bit of a interest prior to the interview.

Hearing that, I think a lot of us expected we would hear HOW we would do something different.
Obviously, that was not the case. Just the five point plan. Anyone can write that.

It’s not really what he said, but the fact he showed himself to us is significant.

As Rossi says... this is milk and drink to someone of Evans stature who can talk his way around a bullet point plan.

Perhaps underwhelming to some but come June we’ll see by his appointment where he intends to go. And nice to see you, Marcus, at last.... and I actually liked your shirt.
Reminded me of the old BBC Test Card.......for those who can also remember! Wonder what background music would have been playing?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:02 pm

To be honest I didn't expect him to say anything new but I'm somewhat staggered with peoples reaction. Warming to him over what? It was the same old hollow talk, waffling about the things we already know.

If he had ambitions for us he would have made much better decisions in the past than he actually did.

It will the be the same policy in an odd hope that it somehow works.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:11 pm

marko69 wrote:Image
:D I was actually thinking pre-colour!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:11 pm

herforder wrote:
marko69 wrote:Image
:D I was actually thinking pre-colour!
Dear GOD! How feckin auld are ye?!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:It will the be the same policy in an odd hope that it somehow works.
Thats actually no different to managers these days with their signings.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:13 pm

The inbreds on the pink un are now on page Four debating this subject, twice as many pages as us LMAO, they still have this unhealthy fixation even when for a few years now we have been pretty ordinary to say the least. The number of threads regarding ITFC that are started on there says it all, their knowledge of our club is funny, most believe we are losing Bart in the Summer for nowt, I expect it is too much for them to comprehend we have an option of another season so they may be right in Twelve months time !!!! Some saddo has even posted the whole transcript but of course they aren't interested in us at all.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:43 am

Bluemike wrote:The inbreds on the pink un are now on page Four debating this subject, twice as many pages as us LMAO, they still have this unhealthy fixation even when for a few years now we have been pretty ordinary to say the least. The number of threads regarding ITFC that are started on there says it all, their knowledge of our club is funny, most believe we are losing Bart in the Summer for nowt, I expect it is too much for them to comprehend we have an option of another season so they may be right in Twelve months time !!!! Some saddo has even posted the whole transcript but of course they aren't interested in us at all.
Pink un????? what is this alien publication??? :lol: :lol: :lol: