Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Finishing with a Win?

Ipswich Win
20%
Middlesbrough Win
No votes
Draw
80%

Total votes: 5

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Fri May 04, 2018 2:10 am

Image Ipswich Town v MiddlesbroughImage

Sunday 6th May 2018 – 12:30

Portman Road

Just a quick few words from me, firstly, to everyone that participates on the forum ...... thank you! It may not be the biggest Town supporters site, but I hope it still has a place for you as a supporter of the club.

To Mike, Andy, Marko, Trev and Colin ......... what can I say? Without your involvement and contributions each week, I wouldnt bother with the site and I suspect quite frankly these forums wouldn't exist.

Like Mike mentions below, the 2018/19 season is something to look forward to and I suspect it will have as many twists and turns as this season delivered.

Please have a great Summer (I unfortunately have a Winter to deal with) and safe travels if you are going on holiday.

cheers Dave

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

So here we are at the final game of the 2017/18 season, to say it has been a troubled season is somewhat of an understatement, it has been a season which has seen the exploits of the team often overshadowed by the whole Mick McCarthy situation, at times the Football has paled into insignificance and yet it is the Football played at times that has been one of the main causes of the unrest that has prevailed for much of the campaign. Who would have thought back in August that things would end so acrimoniously, I remember being at Millwall's Den stadium on that hot August Summer evening having just watched Town win 4-3 to make it Four wins on the spin and I was thinking to myself maybe we may just be in for a decent season again, how wrong I was and while we still kept ourselves in contention for a while it was evident that the cracks were appearing and things would very soon turn sour. There is little to gain in dragging up the whole MM situation again but what is clear is that something had to change and change it has, clearly it will go down as a season of disappointment but in reality we are probably going to end up where many saw us being before the campaign commenced. I think it is fair to say that injuries have played a big part in this last Nine months and things would have been a bit better had we not been hit so hard but how much it has cost us we will never know.

As One chapter closes another begins and while we are usually non existent when it comes to being in the news during the close season I think this time it has to be different, we have the excitement of appointing a new manager and with that undoubtedly brings change in other areas, some players will no doubt depart and hopefully a few new faces will arrive at the club to freshen things up. I think the next Four weeks or so are massive for ITFC and Marcus Evans has to get it right, I was one of the fans who was impressed with his "Interview" and I believe the guy to be genuine, he may not have said anything of Earth shattering proportions but what he did say appeared to be from the heart and not from an asset stripping crook who couldn't care less about the club, I didn't see that at all. We all have our own ideas as to who we would like to see in the managers chair and some of us will be pleased while others could be disappointed but we need to pull together, we need untiy and the club can return to something of a sound footing, disharmony has ripped the club apart at times and it needs to stop, the atmosphere at home to Villa was superb and this was followed up with a wonderful day out at Reading, those days can return and the feeling at the Madejski was what I want to feel at away days, sticking together is the key and giving the new incumbent a chance, whoever it may be. Season ticket sales are already showing signs of improvement and the kids coming through from the academy give hope to better days ahead, these are just Two things that have already brough a bit of a feelgood factor to the club in recent days, let's keep the momentum going and build on it, we have a crucial part to play.

The game at Reading was a really enjoyable contest and not just for the obvious joy at the result, Barcelonaesque Football it may not have been but it was still a very good game to watch, open and end to end, chances at both ends and of course that final Twenty minute goal rush which saw us take the home side apart, it was a well deserved three points having dominated the opening Forty Five without reward and then having repelled the efforts of reading in the First twenty minutes of the second period we really did get the job done. It should not go unnoticed that some of the passing Football at times was really refreshing to see too, playing out from the back with a confidence rarely seen shows we do have the players to do it, the new manager needs to have this as his approach and the fans will be accepting of defeat from time to time. The Full debuts of Ben Folami & Luke Woolfenden were a highlight for me, I really like the look of this Folami, already you can see he has a football brain and he could be like a new signing for us already, Woolfenden too looked far from out of place and although he will obviously have greater tests to come through he did himself proud, the players around him guided him through and showed what a great team spirit we have within the squad, of course this was no more evident than when Freddie Sears finally ended his goal drought with the Third goal, the whole team, Bart included running to join in the celebrations, people can say what they like about the ability of some players but they are as genuine as you can get and most games this season they have given everything and played for one another. It was a great way to end our away day travels.

Our final day opponents are Middlesbrough who have already secured their play off spot so in truth there is little riding on the game, except of course the small matter of finishing above the scum to be crowned top Dogs in East Anglia, all we can do is win and hope they don't, of course if they lose at Hillsborough we just need a draw and while it really isn't anything to crow about by finishing in mid table it would be nice to eclipse them especially when you look at the resourses they have had at their disposal compared to us so in a sense this is a game we really need to go out and win. With the possibility of Boro resting a few for the play offs I think we can get the win that would end the season in a positive way so I will edge towards an odd goal victory for Town.

I would just like to say a big thank you to those that do bother to read my ramblings each week and it has been a pleasure to help Dave (Frosty) out with the previews in his hour of need, I can't pretend it has been easy every week given how things have gone because it hasn't, it is always easier when things are going well, so I hope you all have a fab Summer and here's to a much improved 2018/19 season, the beginning of a new era and hopefully the resurgence of our beloved Ipswich Town Football Club, the best in the land.

The Opposition - Middlesbrough

The club turned professional in 1889, but reverted to amateur status in 1892. They turned professional permanently in 1899 and after three seasons, they won promotion to the First Division, where they would remain for the next 22 years.

In 1903, the club moved to Ayresome Park, their home for the next 92 years.

Over the next few years, their form fluctuated greatly, rising to sixth in 1907–08 before dropping to seventeenth two seasons later. The club rose to their highest league finish to date, third, in 1913–14. The First World War soon intervened and football was suspended. Before league football resumed, Middlesbrough won the Northern Victory League, but the team were unable to maintain their previous form and finished the 1919–20 season in mid-table. They remained in the First Division for the next few seasons, but were relegated in 1923–24 after finishing bottom, ten points adrift of their nearest rivals.

Three seasons later, they won the Division Two title. Their tenure back in the top flight lasted only one season, and the club were relegated. They were promoted at the first attempt in 1928–29, winning another Second Division title. The club remained in the First Division until 1954.

Middlesbrough climbed to fourth in the last full season before the Second World War and were expected to challenge for the title next season, but the war intervened. After the war, the club was unable to recover the form of the previous seasons and hovered around mid-table and exited in the early rounds of the FA Cup. Soon afterwards the team began to falter, eventually suffering relegation in 1953–54. This was the start of a 20-year spell outside the top division.

Over that period, Middlesbrough maintained reasonable progress in the Second Division but were never serious contenders for promotion. After a fourth place finish in 1962–63, the club endured a steady decline and were relegated to the Third Division for the first time in their history in 1966.

New manager Stan Anderson returned the club to the second flight at the first attempt. Middlesbrough would not finish below ninth during the next eight seasons. By 1974, Jack Charlton had taken over as manager and guided the team back to the top flight.

The club experienced severe financial difficulties during the mid-1980s. In the 1984–85 season. In April 1986 the club had to borrow £30,000 from the PFA to pay wages. The final game of the season saw Middlesbrough relegated to the Third Division once more. That summer, the club called in the Provisional Liquidator and shortly afterwards, the club was wound up and the gates to Ayresome Park were padlocked. Without the £350,000 capital required for Football League registration, a new rule, it seemed inevitable that the club would fold permanently. However, Steve Gibson, a member of the board at the time, brought together a consortium and with ten minutes to spare before the deadline, they completed their registration with the Football League for the 1986–87 season. Following the registration came both a change of club crest and a change of the official company name to Middlesbrough Football and Athletic Club (1986) Ltd.

Over the next two seasons, Middlesbrough gained successive promotions into Division Two and then into Division One. The next season though, they came straight back down to Division Two. Despite constant promotion and relegation, Middlesbrough were founding members of the FA Premier League for the 1992–93 season.

The 1996–97 season was compounded by a deduction of three points imposed just after Christmas, as punishment for the club's failure to fulfil a fixture against Blackburn, which ultimately resulted in relegation. At the same time, the club managed to reach both the League and FA Cup finals for the first time, but lost out in both. Despite being in the second tier they were again runners up in the League Cup final the next year.

Middlesbrough were promoted back to the Premiership at the first attempt in 1998. They continued to stay secure in mid-table the following season.
Bryan Robson left the club before the start of 2001–02 season, having served as manager for 7 years, and was replaced by Manchester United assistant coach Steve McClaren. The following seasons saw Premiership security maintained as Middlesbrough slowly improved and were seen as a tough side to beat when playing at the Riverside Stadium. During McClaren's reign, Middlesbrough achieved their highest Premier league placing of 7th in the 2004–05 season.

The 2003–04 season was the most successful in the club's history as they finally won a major trophy after beating Bolton in the League Cup final.

Middlesbrough reached the 2006 UEFA Cup Final in Eindhoven, following two comebacks in the rounds preceding it, but lost to Sevilla. Following the cup final, McClaren left to head up the England team, and captain Gareth Southgate took over, despite not having the coaching qualifications, but he was allowed to continue after receiving special dispensation. Southgate's first two seasons saw the club finish in 12th and 13th places. He oversaw the club reaching the quarter finals of the FA Cup for three seasons, but the club was relegated to the Football League Championship on the last day of the 2008–09 season.

Despite starting the 2010–11 campaign as promotion favourites, the club endured a disappointing start to the season securing only 1-point in 5 away games. Having slipped to 20th in the Championship following a home defeat to rivals Leeds, Gordon Strachan resigned on 18 October. A week later, Tony Mowbray was confirmed as the new manager. Having staved off the threat of relegation, Mowbray successfully transformed Boro's fortunes, eventually guiding them to a top-half finish.

Following a poor run of form of 2 wins in 12 games in the 2013–14 campaign, on 21 October 2013, nearly 3 years after his arrival, Tony Mowbray left the club with immediate effect. Aitor Karanka, a former Spanish defender and assistant coach at Real Madrid became the new Middlesbrough manager on 13 November 2013, signing a two-year contract. He became the first non-British manager at the club.

Boro had a good 2014/15 season finishing in 4th place. After beating Brentford in the playoff semi-finals they meet Norwich in the Championship promotion final …. Sadly the budgies coming out on top on the day.

The next season, Middlesbrough were promoted back to the Premier League after finishing second in the Championship in 2015–16, drawing 1–1 with Brighton & Hove Albion on the final day of the season.

Last season Boro struggled in the EPL, only managing 5 wins which ultimately saw them relegated back to the Championship after only one season.

The club appointed former Leeds United manager Garry Monk as manager in the off-season. Expectations at the club were high, having spent close to £50 million in the transfer window on player purchases, in order to mount an immediate promotion challenge back to the Premier League. Such a promotion challenge did not materialise under Monk's management, as on 23 December 2017, it was announced that Monk had left the club, with Middlesbrough ninth in the Championship and underachieving. They appointed Tony Pulis as manager three days later on Boxing Day, who himself had been sacked by West Bromwich Albion a month earlier.

The Manager – Tony Pulis

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches currently in 13th place with 59 points

7 Apr Brentford 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

10 Apr Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Barnsley

14 Apr Nottm Forest 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

21 Apr Ipswich Town 0 - 4 Aston Villa

28 Apr Reading 0 - 4 Ipswich Town

Middlesbrough Last 5 Matches currently in 5th place with 75 points

7 Apr Middlesbrough 2 - 0 Nottm Forest

10 Apr Sheffield Utd 2 - 1 Middlesbrough

14 Apr Middlesbrough 2 - 1 Bristol City

21 Apr Derby County 1 - 2 Middlesbrough

28 Apr Middlesbrough 2 - 0 Millwall

Fixtures of Interest

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY VS NORWICH CITY

LEEDS UNITED VS QUEENS PARK RANGERS

Match Referee – David Coote

IPSWICH TOWN 1 MIDDLESBROUGH 1

Tangfastic

Re: Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 04, 2018 7:42 am

Many thanks to all involved on the forum for your contributions and hard work this season

Let’s hope the sun shines and the boys put on a good show this weekend to give us more optimism for next season. Let’s also hope the football does the talking next season ... but I’m sure Mick will never be far from our thoughts. :)

It feels from what Frosty has said that this will be an end and the forum will go on a sabbatical for a couple of months, but I’m sure there’ll be plenty of interest over the next month over the new manager.

ITFC 2 : Boro 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 04, 2018 7:53 am

Nope there will be plenty of activity and topics to debate over the summer months for sure.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:53 am

thanks for the reports Mike, I can imagine this season its been a tough task! I always read them though, both the pre match and post match ones, either to read up how the game went or to see how your views contrast with mine if was also there.

I will be missing the Middlesbrough game, am in full training for an upcoming event and cant miss Sundays long session (if it was a 3pm I would have been OK, bloody lunch time games!), am a bit annoyed to be honest but I look forward to reading the report after.

Im happy to draw a line under this season and am excited to see what next season brings, it will at the very least start positive, lets hope we get the management appointment right, reading Paul Hursts comments yesterday I felt he was open to some approaches, we may not be the only club interested (perhaps Sunderland could tempt him?) but I think we should get in there quick and see if we can tempt him.

Happy summer everyone!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:47 am

Mike......, Just thought of something. If we took all the match previews, and post match reviews and put them all together into one book....... That book would be thicker than Stephen Kings thickest book......., you wafflin' bstd! :D :lol:

Seriously though, immensely appreciated by me,....... It really is my source of ITFC "proper" info as it's from the attending home & away supporter. So, thanks for the season.

If everyone is totally honest......., the balance of opinion couldn't actually be any better on this very forum. The main match reviewers being Mike, (leans to the positive) and Mach Polish (can only imagine moans about the fking queue at the pie stall) Blue! :D (I am joking, honest!) I love BOTH reviews and can probably speak for the lurkers of the forum that they too, love the positives AND the negatives. It's what the fitbaw is aw aboot eh?

Ok, after the positive and negative chat, I'll now sit my arse on the fence and say, draw. 1-1.

Ref caption:

Player: REF, USE THE VAR FFS!
Ref: HEY! THESE, are my eyes!
Player: Err, that's your forehead Ref.

Tony Pulis caption:

Colleague at Boro: Hey Tony, how you getting on with the "long pause" therapy?
Tony: ........
Colleague at Boro: Ah, ok. A few more sessions required then?
Tony: ........
Colleague at Boro: Ok, no worries, Tony. Catch ye later, pal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 04, 2018 3:10 pm

The Norwich City of the North-East. Something neutrals can find a certain level of fondness for but deserve pity along with it. Was hoping the opportunity was there to f*ck up their play-off chance for the final round of games but since they're already assured of a top six finish there's not much else to be had.

Voted for a drawn game, no pressure on any side to perform in a game of immaterial status so either there'll be a game of few chances and minimum commitment or the players can put on a show. Should be a good crowd for the end game at home venue.

Ipswich 1 Middlesbrough 1

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:46 pm

A special thanks to all of the moderators, I know you've all put in hours of your personal time to make the forum as enjoyable as possible. Thanks to Frosty for keeping the heartbeat of TB.Com alive! Of course, I do realize there isn't much else to do in Kiwi land! :lol:

Bluemike's post match reports have become my permanent resource for invaluable info about our performances. I honestly think you should be a sports writer, mate!

Marko's brilliant dialogue and caption competiton (The Don Cup!) have been the comic relief many of us needed during the down times of the past few years.

Charnwood and Bluemike's stewardship of the prediction league has also provided a pleasant escape from reality...even if they do fudge the scoring to their advantage. :lol:

Also, many thanks to 'Clever Trev' and Colin (who's Colin? :lol: ) for everything you do to support the forum.

I feel like I'm at the academy awards....

ITFC 2-1 Middlesbrough

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun May 06, 2018 9:37 am

Thanks to everyone involved in the forum
Your work is genuinely highly appreciated
I will stay optimistic to the end 3-0 Town

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun May 06, 2018 12:39 pm

1-0 Town :mrgreen: freddie sears

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Freddie’s on fire.... what’s about buses....?

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun May 06, 2018 2:14 pm

2-1 to Town :mrgreen: Waghorn scores from Penalty Spot

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:47 pm

What a fantastic final day of the season. Hopefully find out if the draw was the correct result.

Hats off to Bolton Wanderers though. That’s what final day is all about. That’ll be like cup final celebrations for BW fans. Well done.

And Sheffield Wednesday? Well, that just right up Ipswich fans street. Great stuff.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun May 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Disapointing crowd for last game and disappointed with the draw with Ipswich disease striking again late. :x

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun May 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Bragging rights finished above the $cum and they wont have the parachute payments next season.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Feel quite despondent right now learning of what occurred a moment ago. Seven minutes of f**king added time and they score ? Where does all this damn additional time amount from ? Not the first time the team has been caught out so late and seems previous lessons weren't observed. Would have been good to finish the season on a winning note but pissed off with that late goal / inability yet again to see out a winning lead to it's conclusion.

18,000 for a final game at home was disappointing also. Christ I wish to see us being competitive again and having stellar seasons with decent home support, it's imperative Evans makes a right decision for the imminent appointment issue.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Seem a bit overly upset with that game, Saint? You’ve been posting since February that the season is all but meaningless? Bit strange.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun May 06, 2018 3:49 pm

saint jude wrote:Feel quite despondent right now learning of what occurred a moment ago. Seven minutes of f**king added time and they score ? Where does all this damn additional time amount from ? Not the first time the team has been caught out so late and seems previous lessons weren't observed. Would have been good to finish the season on a winning note but pissed off with that late goal / inability yet again to see out a winning lead to it's conclusion.

18,000 for a final game at home was disappointing also. Christ I wish to see us being competitive again and having stellar seasons with decent home support, it's imperative Evans makes a right decision for the imminent appointment issue.
Bloody hell mate,cracking atmosphere,a team that actually tried to take the game to them that had a fair share of youngsters and kept going to the end!
Plenty to look forward to next season and we finished above that lot up the road :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Bit overreaction here on some posts.

We could have just folded and put on our flip flops a few games ago. Plenty of positives and even conceding a last minute equaliser is better than losing.... Or, even worse, not even trying to win.

Are we really above Norwich ? Same points, same GD. Not that fussed.... would have preferred a win against them and we would have got that without Micks foul mouth tirade (football karma) :)

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun May 06, 2018 4:59 pm

tangfastic wrote:Bit overreaction here on some posts.

We could have just folded and put on our flip flops a few games ago. Plenty of positives and even conceding a last minute equaliser is better than losing.... Or, even worse, not even trying to win.

Are we really above Norwich ? Same points, same GD. Not that fussed.... would have preferred a win against them and we would have got that without Micks foul mouth tirade (football karma) :)
Town -3 Norwich -11 goal difference same points but we finish 12th they are 14th I am happy :D
Onwards and up Norwich no extra money next season .......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:31 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:.....but we finish 12th......
YESSS!!! At least one pre season bonus Q correct. :astroll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 06, 2018 9:43 pm

marko69 wrote:
BLUEBLOOD wrote:.....but we finish 12th......
YESSS!!! At least one pre season bonus Q correct. :astroll:
Negative bugger !!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 06, 2018 11:04 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
tangfastic wrote:Bit overreaction here on some posts.

Town -3 Norwich -11 goal difference same points but we finish 12th they are 14th I am happy :D
Onwards and up Norwich no extra money next season .......

And now their on,y real asset is likely out with an ACL rupture, they have no chance of pay8ng off some of the shortfall they ALREADY have ( Balls said in Nov they had a £30m shortfall - that’s Norwich speak for DEBT , which they had expected to reduce by selling Maddison. OOPS!
They’re likely to be in trouble next season then. :mrgreen:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Town brought down the curtain on the 2017/18 season with what for me was a more than satisfying performance and one which I thought deserved to see us pick up the points, Boro may have had the lions share of possession but apart from the final few minutes of the game I thought we looked the more dangerous of the Two sides, also taking into account the fact that we almost failed to muster enough players to fill the bench I thought we did well, yes it was disappointing to again lose a goal so late but had the ref given a sure fire foul on Freddie Sears just prior to them breaking upfield to equalise we would ahve won the game, never mind the fact he played well in excess of the time that was supposed to be added on.

The opening minutes of the game saw Town on top and looking to take the game to Boro, by the time Town had taken the lead in the opening ten minutes we had already had Two or Three attempts which had failed to seriously trouble the Boro keeper. The goal when it did come was a good piece of play from the rejuvinated Freddie Sears who forged his way past a Middlesbrough man before surging into the box and striking a powerful shot past the helpless Randolph, it was a taste of the Freddie of old and probably the best piece of play we have seen from him all season. Little had been seen of Boro until midway through the half but finally they were beginning to look a bit more up for it, a ball in from the wing drifted into Barts side netting before another long range effort was deflected wide, Town were now being forced back and we had the somewhat subdued Callum Connolly to thank for keeping us ahead as he hacked one off the goal line. Town were now having to constantly get players in the way of shots etc but were in the mian defending well although Assombalonga & Traore were quite a handfull for the town defence, Spence in particular was having a bit of a tough time and was beaten on his outside a fair few times but Town stood firm and went in for the break still a goal to the good. We had founfd it tough to get hold of the Midfield at times but Skusey had been very effective while Sears was also causing them some issues with his runs, Nydam & Connolly found it tough to impose themselves on the game. Defensively we had done ok with players getting in the way of most that Boro could throw at us, Bart had rarely been called into action.

It was Boro who started the second half the better of the Two sides with Bart having to get down to collect a strike which seemed to take a deflection off someone. Despite being second best after the restart Town were so close to getting a second, first Randolph pulled off a good save to deny waghorn who got a good shot on goal after some nice football from Town, then ffrom the corner Skuse hit a thunderous volley from the edge of the box which randolph was again equal to, this time pulling off a sensational save when it looked a goal all the way, it was a great effort from Town's captain. With the game entering the final twenty Boro got themselves back level with a fine struck from Downing which flew through a crowded area and passed the stranded Town keeper. It seemed to galvanise Boro and they were well on top, Assombalong forcing a good save from Bart once more. Despite being on the back foot Town somehow got themselves back in front, sub Shane Mcloughlin winning a penalty after closing down a clearance and then nipping in ahead of Gibson who sent him crashing to the floor with a mistimed tackle, Waghorn stepped up and duly sent Randolph the wrong way from the spot. With time running out Sears had a great chance to put the game to bed after being put through by waghorn but this time he was unable to get much on the shot and it trickled through to the keeper. It was to prove a costly miss as yet again Town were caught out in the dying seconds of a game, having just survived a couple of goalmouth scrambles we were punished by a Bamford header at the back post with virtually the last action of the game, it was so disappointing, particularly as we should without question have been awarded a foul right up the other end of the pitch but the ref deemed the push on Sears as being fair and that allowed the counter atack from which they scored, over the piece it was a close game but I just felt that on reflection we had done enough to have taken the points although in the last Fifteen minutes of the game Bart did what he does and kept us alive with a couple of top saves.

It may be of little consolation but the main objective today was to better what Norwich did in the hope of finsihing above them and this we did thanks to their p*ss poor capitulation at hopeless Sheff Wed, so we only have finished in 12th place but it is still two places higher than our rivals despite all their mega bucks and large squad, so if nothing else we can take heart from the fact that we finih the season as East Anglia's number one club again and can look forward to a much more level playing fiedl next time around too.

Bart (8) Spence (6) Webster (7) Carter-Vickers(7) Knudsen (6) Kenlock (6) Nydam (6) Connolly (6) Skuse (8) Waghorn (7) Sears (7)

SUBS :- Hyam (6) McLoughlin (7)

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 07, 2018 1:58 am

Had some time to reconsider today's game and took in a read of TWTD's match report to gain more relevant information. However you feel personally a point was maybe fair for both sides but to concede when we did at the very end was nonetheless a real kick in the as*. Won't deny it, spoiled things considerably and with it being the end game of the season - the team won't be in action again for some considerable time - real anger to have been denied a final (game) victory when it occurred. But what's done is done - bottom line the team played well often enough and were denied by some questionable overtime. f*ck it.

Crowd (despite a lesser number than some would have envisaged) remained vociferous throughout if reports are accurate and for members of the Cup winning squad to be in attendance was a nice touch. Teams feels liberated now free of McCarthy's invariable restrictions but while Klug has done a commendable job while his few games have shown, it's too early and inappropriate a time to get carried away with anything.

Which leads to another point : why not allow Klug the manager's position and end any and all speculation involving potential names ? May seem a bit reckless but he's done well in the short term and has gained some first hand experience with it. This scenario is unlikely to come to pass but surprised it hasn't been seen mentioned elsewhere. Perhaps a better proposition than some of the names this club has been associated / linked with in recent time.

Thank you to the individuals involved also who put the work and commitment into making these previews happen. The time and effort is appreciated. Your work is always recognized.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:41 am

Thanks for the report.

What’s the general view on Spence? Saw decent highlights of the game. Does he ever tackle? Or does he always hold off and hold off then the winger whips over a cross?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 07, 2018 8:10 am

Marko, Spence is either very good or very poor, there really is no in between with him, even half to half you never know what you are going to get and as you say his biggest weakness is that he is so often beaten on his outside but other times he can be a real asset going forward, i cant help but think that next season Barry Cotter will put real pressure on him for that position.
SJ, Klug has made it clear he has no interest in the job permanently, and yes the noise levels were superb throughout the game, the best it's been at home all season.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon May 07, 2018 10:50 am

By the way am I right in thinking that this was our only penalty of this season?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 am

I seem to recall Didsy missing one at Hull ??

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 07, 2018 11:58 am

Bluemike wrote:Marko, Spence is either very good or very poor, there really is no in between with him, even half to half you never know what you are going to get and as you say his biggest weakness is that he is so often beaten on his outside but other times he can be a real asset going forward, i cant help but think that next season Barry Cotter will put real pressure on him for that position.
SJ, Klug has made it clear he has no interest in the job permanently, and yes the noise levels were superb throughout the game, the best it's been at home all season.
On Spence, I wouldn’t be too fussed if he left. However, if we have two young RBs emerging next year ... Cotter and Emmanuel, then it could be handy to have Spence as a experienced RB. I don’t see Spence here as a long term success... too many errors and inconsistent. Hoping that one of the younger lads will ease him out of the RB/RWB slot.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon May 07, 2018 1:35 pm

As much as the game, yesterday was about taking another significant step in mending broken fences, and restoring the bond between club and supporters. On an afternoon where the weather reprised that of exactly 40 years ago, some of the legends from that day made an appearance, as did the FA Cup. - better not blink, because it probably won’t be back any time soon! But all of that just added to the atmosphere and mood created by a reasonable attendance, the majority of whom were more than willing to support BK, the players and the club. It was a welcome return to ‘This Is The Club We Know And Love’. It’s taken Brian Klug just 4 games to start to turn the shiip around - ME should give him and his team a generous bonus, because the foundations for the new regime have been laid, and that critical unity repaired.

It was a good game - Boro had the better strength and quality in depth. Young Kenlock must hope that they win the play offs, since he’ll seldom have a harder test than that given to him by Traore! But, like all of the lads, they stuck to their tasks and left nothing on the pitch. A draw was the minimum we deserved. Most folk probably missed Waggy’s frustration at the end, giving Knudsen a real bolloc*ing for not being strong enough against Bamford, and allowing the equaliser. But that’s football, and needs to be kept in perspective. Optimism is the dish of the day - we’ve had to consume so much pessimism recently. :D