40 Years and still goosebumps.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

40 Years and still goosebumps.

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 05, 2018 11:35 am

Brings back some great memories of one of our finest days.

https://www.facebook.com/bbcsuffolk/vid ... ovJyn5ZZ6P

Shed on tour

Re: 40 Years and still goosebumps.

Post by Shed on tour » Sat May 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:Brings back some great memories of one of our finest days.

https://www.facebook.com/bbcsuffolk/vid ... ovJyn5ZZ6P
Can't believe it was 40 years ago.
Mind you it might be another 40 years before we see Town back in the top flight. I will be 102 by then so I hope they get those fans in SBRL to sit down so I can f****** well see! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Well I'll only be 95 so I'll still be bloody standing!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 05, 2018 4:41 pm

One of the most emotional days of my life, but I must say the Semi Final v WBA at Highbury felt just as good.

.... who would ever have guessed at the time that with Muhren & Thijssen it would get even better.

If only those days could return ....but in reality I think we’ll just have to be happy with the memories.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat May 05, 2018 5:47 pm

A name not often mentioned, but do folk remember Robin Turner. - whose exploits on a frozen Bristol Rovers pitch earned a last gasp draw in the Cup’s 5th round? Won replay 3-0. But without Turner, that glorious day 40 years ago wouldn’t have happened. In some respects it helped ease the pain of the West Ham robbery in 1975!

Also recall WBA defender, Wilde, suffering a head wound in the semi- final, and ending up playing with a bloodied bandage - something Terry Butcher famously did when playing for England!

Great memories.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat May 05, 2018 8:52 pm

herforder wrote:A name not often mentioned, but do folk remember Robin Turner. - whose exploits on a frozen Bristol Rovers pitch earned a last gasp draw in the Cup’s 5th round? Won replay 3-0. But without Turner, that glorious day 40 years ago wouldn’t have happened. In some respects it helped ease the pain of the West Ham robbery in 1975!

Also recall WBA defender, Wilde, suffering a head wound in the semi- final, and ending up playing with a bloodied bandage - something Terry Butcher famously did when playing for England!

Great memories.
Remember Bobby Gould having a goal disallowed for offside in that game at Eastville when he wasn’t, if that had been allowed we would have gone out of the cup.
As they say sometimes your name is written on the trophy and I guess that year ours was.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 05, 2018 8:54 pm

Made up for the Clive Thomas f*ck up

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat May 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:Made up for the Clive Thomas f*ck up
True! I never will forget that night at Stamford Bridge, have never felt so down following Town as I did coming out of the ground that night.
We had beaten Liverpool at PR in the 3rd round, beaten Leeds in the quarters and I was convinced we were going to win the cup that year.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat May 05, 2018 9:23 pm

Of all the matches i’ve watched in over 50-odd years supporting Town, that one game will always be burned deep into my soul. I can remember turning up at Stamford Bridge without a ticket, and getting one at the last minute from a tout, desperate to get rid of the ones he had. Can remember the game pretty well, but can’t remember much about the journey home to Edmonton, where we lived at the time. Mixture of raw anger, rage and injustice - still felt to this day. What price VAR in those far off days!

But being part of what happened three years later....priceless. No amount of money could buy those experiences or emotions. Hopefully, one day soon, those who can only listen to those old stories, might get the chance to go on a similar journey. (I know...... best not hold our breaths!)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:37 pm

herforder wrote:Hopefully, one day soon, those who can only listen to those old stories, might get the chance to go on a similar journey. (I know...... best not hold our breaths!)
In England, these days, I think it’d be a total miracle, Herforder.

As depressing as this may sound, the only thing I can see ITFC realistically having any chance of winning in the remainder of their history, (however long that may be) is the Championship Play-Offs. The Ipswich youth will just need to keep on hearing the stories unfortunately.

Different up here. I bored my youngest son (born 94) to tears with stories of the Hibs 91 League cup victory....., but then in 2007 when the Cabbage crushed Killie 5-1 at Hampden, he understood the elation....., 13 year old in floods of tears as the cup was raised.

It would be uncomprehendible to the Ipswich 30 year olds and under to visualise ITFC at Wembley lifting a domestic trophy. Quite sad how the foreign businessmen have ruined that aspect of the English game.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun May 06, 2018 9:18 am

Agreed, Marko. But without hope we are nothing! (Still crazy after all these years). :D

It was exactly 40 years ago today - seems like yesterday. Lots of that team on local radio at the moment, and on the pitch before M’boro.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 07, 2018 2:11 am

One of the few perhaps who can recall an Ipswich team (captain) raising the Football Association Cup. If you had said back then the team would not only not be winners again or even appear in a final thereafter, few would have believed it. Hell there's even fans on these pages alone not of an age to even recall a Town squad beyond Round Five since that one and only victory.

Goes well with the other honors i.e. a league championship and European trophy. Of course we got the two greatest managers ever supplied to the English national team so we have something special going on here that other teams can't match or even admire.

Wished could have been at the game yesterday to see some of the players involved that day to show the trophy and bring back some fine memory. To those that see Roger Osborne when at all possible and possess club connections would appreciate if you could pass on regards and providing a day that can live forever. We didn't realize it at the time, but the best was yet to come.

Great times, if only could go back and live it again. Fans of a certain age won't always appreciate what a team we eventually assembled and the accomplishments (and near misses) that went with it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:33 am

I’d go back for three reasons,

1/ See the ITFC fans literally walk past my uncles front door en-route to Wemberley with their banners and old badge.
2/ See Mick Mills lift the trophy for ITFC on TV.
3/ Late night bacon rolls and Starsky & Hutch on TV with Uncle.

Ahhhh, memories.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 07, 2018 7:59 am

Indeed Marko, those late nites with my mum watching Paul Michael Glaser, David Soul and Antonio Fargas in their pomp are so sadly missed.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon May 07, 2018 8:06 am

For me one of the great achievements which is often forgotten about is our record for qualifying for Europe during the 70’s and early 80’s.
I believe it was something like 9 years out of 10 we managed to do it and for a club of our size it was a great feat.
Imagine how many open top bus parades they would have in Scumville if they had achieved that!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 07, 2018 10:02 am

Yes Tony, they may mimic us for clinging on to our illustrious history but at least we have one, our record in Europe is something even many of the top clubs would envy, still to this day unbeaten at home in any European tie is quite remarkable, taking apart the likes of Barcelona & St. Etienne at their best is just so hard to comprehend these days. As you point out the mumber of years in which we qualified goes unnoticed, even by many Town fans who weren't lucky enough to be part of it. Oh those halcyon days.

I love the fact they will always be in our shadow, if the last few years are them being superior to us it is so funny it is untrue, they just had a chance to leave us behind and they've f*cked it up big time, ive seen them taking the p*ss at our joy at finishing above them this season on GD alone and yet they are so dim they don't take in the fact it was a chasm seperating the two clubs at the start of the season, they should have been miles ahead of us !!! Next season is going to be fun I think, no parachute payment crap to fund their tin pot squad, the realisation they need to sell players to raise funds and reduce costs, their prize asset crocked for what could be a very long time and while I wish Maddison no harm at all, he is a good player, I must say from a Norwich point of view I say f**king good job !!! Now you know what it feels like after taking the p*ss out of Andre Dozzell's injury. To top iot all the need to send oput the begging bowls to the carrot crunchers to prop up the underachieving so called Category One academy which was supposed to pinch all our stars of tomorrow, what happened did they miss scouting the likes of Nydam, Downes, Woolfenden, Folami Morris etc etc, no doubt they will ridicule them too as being crap and not worth scouting and yet look at every age group England squad that comes out and more often that not we are represented, can't say the same for them. The tide has started to turn, get the managerial appointment right and the rippling tide could well become a Tsunami in the not too distant future.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 am

Seriously hope you’re right about the tide turning ... it does feel that the gloom has been lifted with the season ending.

Just that small matter about getting the right manager. Never ideal about changing manager, but if we’re going to do it it’s better to have a few months to do the homework and make a considered choice, rather than a sudden, forced appointment two months into the season whereby you’re likely to only have out of work managers available. We’ll see.

I can see Farke being under pressure and possibly out the door by October, so maybe Norwich will panic into a Pardewesque appointment. Don’t want to tempt fate by snearing at NCFC ... it’s down to Evans to get it right and hopefully this will be our turn now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:Indeed Marko, those late nites with my mum watching Paul Michael Glaser, David Soul and Antonio Fargas in their pomp are so sadly missed.
I’ll need to get a photo of myself before heading to my wedding, buddy! :lol:

Was getting dressed in the house, (Hibs tartan kilt of course) ..... then someone tapped my door. Best man said, “I wonder who that is!” (He knew though)

I opened the front door and there was a guy dressed like Starsky, Big cardi, SL76 Adidas shoes, faded jeans etc! I laughed and said, “Can I help you mate?” He said, “Let’s get you to your wedding, dude!”..... whilst pointing at the Grand Ford Torino sitting at my front door! Nearly collapsed witn shock!

4 litre turbo diesel....... that f*cker left everyone for dead on the Edinburgh City By-Pass. The experience was a gift from both my bride and best man!

Speech at wedding: “Like to thank my wife for agreeing to marry me, really appreciate that...... but......, that car?! Aw maaaan! I LOVE that car!” :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon May 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Players with permed and dyed hair. WAGS very jealous!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 07, 2018 4:13 pm

I think we still hold the record for current run undefeated at home in Europe. To this day we have never lost at home in Europe in 31 matches.