World Cup 2018 (All World Cup Chat Exclusively Here Please).

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: World Cup 2018 (All World Cup Chat Exclusively Here Please).

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Its been a great World Cup.

Biggest negative? ......, for you guys; England finishing 4th. (Although the future looks positive)

Biggest positive? ......., for EVERYONE; No more Martin Keown.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Booooo!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Personally was it a good or memorable tournament ? No. For others, probably, they had their moments.

Too many big names eliminated too soon, never felt like a world cup from the get go once it was awarded to the Russians.

France are a useful team for sure but not who I would have wished to see win the competition.

Not much else to add that others wouldn't agree with or find issue. Sense of relief the damn things other with.

Here in Wales its been very quiet regards the end of finals. Would have been some event had they qualified and repeated their achievements of two years back. Swansea is very much a soccer free zone at the moment and break from the upcoming league season.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm

I really enjoyed the world cup, very few games that I thought were poor, im still not sold on VAR but that's another subject.

Im immensely proud of the 3 lions in this tournament, we can hold our head high. For me the brightest part of the tournament is the way that Trippier and Maguire played, both were fantastic and lets hope that bodes well for them, their clubs and Englands future. Many other players can come out with a lot of credit too but I just felt those 2 I mentioned went into the World Cup with people questioning if they should be in the squad/starters and have come out of it as the two who have grown within the competition.

I really hope we can push on over the next couple of years, Southgate is doing a great job at managing and that goes past just looking after the players (which he has done very well), hes looked after the media, the fans, played down expectation whilst also getting people to dream. He seems very considered and thoughtful and I just feel he has represented our nation with pride, passion and given 100%, that's all we can ever ask. We win as a nation, we lose as a nation, in the past its not been that way.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Am I correct in saying the English lost three games at this years tournament ?

Not being belligerent or anything but that's hardly world championship level. Maybe you got a few years ahead to mentor those kids coming through - their time may be yet to come, with the national side along with it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 am

:lol: Talk about putting a dampener on things! Fkn hilarious. You are some cookie, Saint.

Great World Cup. For me, Nachos goal v Portugal was my goal of the tournament. Maybe not the best goal, but I scored one like this for my team when I was 18 years old. I remember distinctively trying to replicate it after the game and couldn’t do it. So.......... fluke!! But Nacho meant that.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am

saint jude wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Not being belligerent or anything but that's hardly world championship level. Maybe you got a few years ahead to mentor those kids coming through - their time may be yet to come, with the national side along with it.
yes we lost 3 games, 2 of which against Belgium and neither in a totally competitive game. The last group game both teams made a whole host of changes so its difficult to gauge what the game would have been like with 2 full strength sides needing points. The second in a play off where lets face it both teams just want to go home, we also changed the majority of our midfield again. Fair play to Belgium, they deservedly won. The final game we lost was after Extra time against Croatia, disappointing yes but hardly a disgrace, they have a very good experienced midfield. You wont lose 3 games and win the world cup, but then we never expected to win it either.

I feel your being a bit downbeat on it to be honest, youngest squad in the world cup, did well in a lot of aspects, need to improve in others, no hiding from that, this was the very START of a journey, and its not a bad one

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am
saint jude wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 pm

yes we lost 3 games, 2 of which against Belgium and neither in a totally competitive game. The last group game both teams made a whole host of changes so its difficult to gauge what the game would have been like with 2 full strength sides needing points. The second in a play off where lets face it both teams just want to go home, we also changed the majority of our midfield again. Fair play to Belgium, they deservedly won. The final game we lost was after Extra time against Croatia, disappointing yes but hardly a disgrace, they have a very good experienced midfield. You wont lose 3 games and win the world cup, but then we never expected to win it either.

I feel your being a bit downbeat on it to be honest, youngest squad in the world cup, did well in a lot of aspects, need to improve in others, no hiding from that, this was the very START of a journey, and its not a bad one
Charlton, not wanting to split hairs but Nigeria had the youngest squad in the WC 2018. We had the second youngest jointly with ............... France.
So we need to stop using age as an excuse :-)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/865 ... layer-age/

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 pm

You’re trying to reason with an American Argentina fan who supports Celtic, Charlton? Good luck with that! :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:19 am

Just got back from a week in Moscow last night.
Have to say it was a fantastic experience and so different to when I went in 2007. Obviously regarding England it didn’t end the way we wanted but being at the semi-final last Wednesday was something I will never forget and the atmosphere inside the stadium that night was just incredible. One of the major positives to come from the tournament is after the shambles of Euro 2016 it appears that the fans and team are starting to come together as one again.
It was a shame that so much negativity was put out by the media before the start of the tournament which no doubt influenced people on their decision whether to attend the tournament or not. For me it will definitely be the last World Cup that I will be at, thought Germany 2006 was great but feel Russia 2018 even topped that.
Dubai, sorry I didn’t pick up your pm about semi-final tickets but hadn’t logged in on here for several days after arriving in Moscow.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:27 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 pm
You’re trying to reason with an American Argentina fan who supports Celtic, Charlton? Good luck with that! :lol:
fair point :lol:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:19 am
Just got back from a week in Moscow last night.
Have to say it was a fantastic experience and so different to when I went in 2007. Obviously regarding England it didn’t end the way we wanted but being at the semi-final last Wednesday was something I will never forget and the atmosphere inside the stadium that night was just incredible. One of the major positives to come from the tournament is after the shambles of Euro 2016 it appears that the fans and team are starting to come together as one again.
It was a shame that so much negativity was put out by the media before the start of the tournament which no doubt influenced people on their decision whether to attend the tournament or not. For me it will definitely be the last World Cup that I will be at, thought Germany 2006 was great but feel Russia 2018 even topped that.
Dubai, sorry I didn’t pick up your pm about semi-final tickets but hadn’t logged in on here for several days after arriving in Moscow.
Shed no worries, I had worked it out shortly afterwards but the FIFA website scuppered any hopes of making the trip.

We won't often make the semis going forwards so great that your last WC trip ended in such a great experience.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 pm

Why is it your last WC, Shed? Can understand Qatar...... (only Satan the Devil could endure that heat)....... but USA 26? You guys will qualify..... get to that one, no?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:57 am

Marko, Qatar is in the Winter, final is played on Qatar National day Dec 18th I believe.....

Come down to the Gulf, there is fun to be had.

Only issue is if the blockade is still in force (no direct flights to Qatar from UAE).

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:12 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 pm
Why is it your last WC, Shed? Can understand Qatar...... (only Satan the Devil could endure that heat)....... but USA 26? You guys will qualify..... get to that one, no?
marko
Come 2026 I will be in my 70's so by then I think it will be time to leave the travelling half way around the world following the national team to the younger generation.
I will be quite happy sitting in my deckchair on Clacton beach listening to the games on my transistor radio. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:09 am

The Middle East has never appealed to me, Dubai. Was bad enough in Bahrain airport over a decade ago. The fun to be had could no doubt be had in Princes’ Street Gardens on a Saturday afternoon! For me anyway! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:14 am

Shed........ get your effin arse to America ya bas! NEVER too old.

The Tractor Boys resident England traveller can never retire!

My buddy, Norrie...... retired and now lives in Greece....... 68 years old......., follows the Tartan Army everywhere. Borderline insanity I know, but he’ll never quit the team. Quit the country for Greece, but that’s understandable....... installing gas meters for 45 years in the rain....... he wanted out! :lol: