World Cup 2018 (All World Cup Chat Exclusively Here Please).

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: World Cup 2018 (All World Cup Chat Exclusively Here Please).

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Well Im bloody glad we’re not playing Russia in a Moscow semi - that Home crowd would have made it very intimidating for our young players I think. Croatia are IMO the better team technically and won’t be easy but unless we croak it , we could well be on our way to a World Cup Final !

Belgium are IMHO a very good team, and I can see them going all the way to the final . Wouldn’t surprise me if they won it either.

Thoughts people ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:16 pm

I did say early in the tournament I thought Belgium and Croatia would be in the mix. I'm genuinely surprised and happy that England have progressed to the semi's. I'd love to see a Belgium vs England final...and let's face it there is a 25 percent chance that will occur. From what I've seen, France and Belgium are the strongest teams in the tournament...but just like rankings, past performances do not guarantee a win.

COY...3 LIONS!!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:49 pm

I thought Croatia looked pretty ordinary tonight as they did against Denmark. Without two shocking Russian penalties they could easily have been going home tonight and now offer England an excellent opportunity to make it through to the final.

France v Belgium could go either way as both teams have at times been excellent and no doubt the winner of this tie will enter the final as a firm favourite. Whilst I still have a fiver placed on Belgium pre tournament at 10/1 I think France may edge it, however at this stage i’d much rather have my money on England whose odds looked horribly unattractive at 16/1.

Could this be the shock of the season ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Best odds currently available for each team are;

France 21/10 fav
England 11/4
Belgium 14/5
Croatia 6/1

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:41 am

[quote="hallamblue"]Well Im bloody glad we’re not playing Russia in a Moscow semi - that Home crowd would have made it very intimidating for our young players I think. Croatia are IMO the better team technically and won’t be easy but unless we croak it , we could well be on our way to a World Cup Final !

Belgium are IMHO a very good team, and I can see them going all the way to the final . Wouldn’t surprise me if they won it either.

Thoughts people ?[/quote

I think France will nick Belgium and go on to play England. I would say France would win that one, but dear Lord, Pickford was a freaking wall today!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 am

For a Quarter Final I thought Sweden were p*ss poor tbh, not sure how they got to the last Eight, England dominated throughout and yes Pickford made Three fabulous saves but it would have been a injustice if Sweden had got anything from the game. I thought Trippier, Henderson, Maguire and Pickford were superb. Not been impressed with Croatia in the last Two games so a final place is looking a real possibility, France versus Belguim is a toss of a coin, Two very good sides.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:21 am

Ohiotractorboy wrote:I think France will nick Belgium and go on to play England. I would say France would win that one.
My sons prediction before a quarter final ball was kicked was a France v Engerland final with the French winning. You two are on the same page.

Belgium v Croatia final for me with Croatia winning the Big prize.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:04 am

marko69 wrote:
Ohiotractorboy wrote:I think France will nick Belgium and go on to play England. I would say France would win that one.
My sons prediction before a quarter final ball was kicked was a France v Engerland final with the French winning. You two are on the same page.

Belgium v Croatia final for me with Croatia winning the Big prize.

Maybe you should invite your son to play next seasons Prediction League, at the very least he’d stand a very good chance of beating his old man.

Aside from a very good midfield Croatia have looked very poor in their last couple of games.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:26 am

Croatia are a decent side, but I’m confident we can beat them. Maguire is starting to look like one of the best defenders in the tournament. Henderson does so much hard work and was fantastic again last night.

Finally, Sterling has found his form - making great runs and being prepared to take defenders on. I would have dropped Sterling, but give credit to Southgate for sticking with him. Finishing is still woeful... but would not rule out him breaking his duck with a crucial goal. Even Alli perked up after his goal. I was tearing my hair out at him in the first half as his passing was woeful... but he looked a different player after scoring. It just feels certain players are starting to hit form and looking more accomplished at the right time.

Keep it going, England. Best chance we’ll ever have to reach the Final.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Russians must be mortified to lose a last eight game on home soil, sure will be some time before they ever get to host one again.

Croatia and English brings back memories of that play-off game some 10 years back when the former won 3 - 2 in London to prevent the other participating at Euro 2008. The Croats today may not be as technically gifted or as useful as back then or even when they last reached the semi finals in 1998 but obviously possess some players of merit to have reached this stage thus far.

Maybe Belgium to win it, they got a very good team and arguably one of the more established world sides never to have won a tournament at international level. Perhaps now is their time.

Not sure about the English. Beating Iran, Panama etc and poor sides in Colombia and a Sweden team who gave a rat's as* before the game was even underway is all very well but where's the real test been along the way ? Would be interesting to see how they would have fared against a real world class team in one or two of those games. Sure they're at a crucial stage in the event but as of now, what honor could some take from "beating" the opposition thus far should they win it ?

Italy did a similar thing a few years back, faced a handful of lacklustre opposition teams and never really challenged until the last one or two games and eventually got through to a final victory. Best scenario in recent years of a world championship team being far from any such acclaimed accolade.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:21 pm

Bloody hell does anyone have experience with the FIFA website?

Plenty of tickets for wednesday coming up for sale but every time I select one and put in the code the bloody site says "Something went wrong"

Seems to be impossible to actually buy tickets there.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm

I can’t get there for Wednesday but if we win I’d sure love to go to the final on Sunday. Maybe i’ll price it up to see if it’s realistic.

Maybe you should PM Shed, he’d definitely know the process and may well be going.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Return flight to Moscow only £365, all I need now is a match ticket, someone to travel with and of course, the most important criteria of all....England to beat Croatia on Wednesday.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:20 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:26 pm
Return flight to Moscow only £365, all I need now is a match ticket, someone to travel with and of course, the most important criteria of all....England to beat Croatia on Wednesday.

Well that was a dream that didn’t last long.

Disappointed to go out the way we did, but still proud of what Gareth Southgate and the team achieved and looking forward to watching this team develop between now and Qatar 2022.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am

Yes, it was a disappointment. But got over it quickly.... we were well-beaten and there were no contentious referee decisions to get me pissed off.

Enjoyed this competition more than others, going back to 96.

Fair play to Croatia.... they controlled that game after half-time. I felt pretty comfortable at HT. I don’t know if it was tactics or just the Croatians dominance or our inexperience .... but we just fell back deeper and deeper and resorted to giving the ball back to the Croatians.

Not complaining... the team did us proud.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 am

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am
Yes, it was a disappointment. But got over it quickly.... we were well-beaten and there were no contentious referee decisions to get me pissed off.

Fair play to Croatia.... they controlled that game after half-time. I felt pretty comfortable at HT. I don’t know if it was tactics or just the Croatians dominance or our inexperience .... but we just fell back deeper and deeper and resorted to giving the ball back to the Croatians.

To be honest the way they came at us in the second half suggested they wanted it far more than we did. Only one shot on goal in a semi final that we dominated for 45mins wasn’t good and our lack of goals from open play suggests we may not be as good as we think we are. Harry Kane could still win the tournament Golden Boot which would be a very nice consolation, tho I’m not sure about him as being the best choice of captain.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:25 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 am
tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am

To be honest the way they came at us in the second half suggested they wanted it far more than we did. Only one shot on goal in a semi final that we dominated for 45mins wasn’t good and our lack of goals from open play suggests we may not be as good as we think we are. Harry Kane could still win the tournament Golden Boot which would be a very nice consolation, tho I’m not sure about him as being the best choice of captain.
I’m pretty sure we’re not as good as we think we were... but it gave the country a lift.

I wouldnt mind Henderson as captain as he had a good tournament, but it would not have made a difference to the outcome.

Maybe the Croatians did want it more.... but they seemed far more intelligent than us in midfield. Players like Alli, Lingard, Sterling are instinctive players, but not sure they have the intelligence or experience yet. Hold the ball better and slow things down when under pressure. Kane seemed to be coming deeper and Sterling was left isolated up front. It seemed in that second half that we resorted to old... defend deeper and lump the ball back to them... repeat .. until we let in a goal. I thought we played well for the first 25 .... but if you can’t kill a decent team off then they’ll come back at you.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 am

Well I thought we had a terrific tournament. Way above what I suggest most of us expected, with a squad that is in the main very young and inexperienced in International terms. We may have had an easy run to the semis, but so what, that is how it goes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:18 pm

I tbought we did really well and overachieved and that is from a fan who's been out of love with England for a long long time, it galvanised me for sure. Pickford, Trippier, Maguire, Henderson all resounding successes and Gareth Southgate is a breath of fresh air, they will only get better but Croatia did give us a bit of a lesson for 75 mins after HT where we should really have had it wrapped up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Can only say, extremely unlucky you guys....., and that’s not me being sarcastic. Yes, I wanted Columbia to win etc......, but the further England got, the more and more I admired the team, and Gareth Southgate...... he’s a proper good guy. The years of Capello and Eriksen etc etc....,you’ve finally got an Englishman who has equalled, and could go further than the late, great Sir Bobby.

One thing that did hit a chord with me was something Gary Neville said, (and I obviously speak from a Scotland fan point of view) but let’s stop moaning about the international breaks. If it helps the national squad then it’s all good...... and the Lord on High knows Scotland need those breaks.

For the first time in 8 World Cups, I couldn’t care less who wins it.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Bottom line they did better than many could have expected. Yes there was some sub-standard opposition on-route that would have assisted them considerably but played well on occasion by all accounts and can understand any disappointment about being eliminated when it occurred.

Seems no-one is prepared to give Croatia any credit, they're a good team let's not forget and deserve their share of plaudits. Maybe France will win the end game but the opposition got some previous scores to settle so all things are possible.

Pleased for Southgate above all else. Ok he didn't fulfil the eventual hype but after the garbage they've had in recent years i.e Capello and Hodgson and the play along with it, seems the English can build on this and be ready for future events.

Relief above all else it's over as many non-English can now enjoy the final game in peace. Traveling out the country tomorrow as honestly believed they would win over Croatia and be in the Final, made arrangements and bookings in advance but in any event, a vacation again is maybe required.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:59 pm

You booked a holiday in case England were in the final?? Jaysus H, Saint. :lol: You should've just saved some cash and took an East Coast to the 'Burgh. There is no love lost up here. Was in the Gyle shopping centre in Edinburgh this morning. Could've been in Osijek, Croatia for all I know. Wall to wall red and white squarey tops.

My cousins Jambo bstd husband took a trip to Newcastle for that glorious May Day back in 2016. Said he knew Hibs would win the cup and didn't want to be in Scotland when it happened. Bit of a bellend. :shock:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:00 pm

We lost our nerve and our style in the second half and Croatia held there's that's the difference. Nothing to be ashamed about. We now have more belief and seem to have a manager to hold on to. Onwards & upwards......

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm

....... still really pissed off with the FIFA website though, would have enjoyed the day out in Moscow.

What really pissed me off is that the game reappeared on the FIFA site on Wednesday morning with quite a few tickets for sale but you could only buy them if you stated that your nationality was anything other than 'England'. What's that about? :evil:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Maybe an allocation amount for England had been reached?

You should've said "Scottish". I'd have loaned you my SRU tartan kilt for the day.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 pm

I agree we progressed much further than most of us envisioned. It seems like we have a good group of players, and a manager who may be able to massage success in the future. We're still missing that cutting edge...to finish off games. I thought we wasted too many chances against Croatia...it could have been 3-0 at halftime. In the second half they came out to win. We still had chances, but we tended to pass the ball one too many times...especially at the top of the penalty box where we should be shooting on goal. I also thing we lack a significant player to change games. Kane is a great finisher and positional player, but he heavily relies on service(he doesn't create much on his own). Sterling has the speed and ability, but he lacks the finishing touch. Still, I'm very happy with the lads and I think they served the country well!

COY...3 LIONS!!!

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:42 pm

What the Croatia game told me was that there is no substitute for a thoughtful and creative midfield. Croatia were solid at the back but not great but Modric and Ratkovic ,as the game progressed , completely controlled the midfield without ever being at their best. I'm hoping that the young Man City midfielder is not a benchwarmer all season( I can't remember his name) but by all accounts he is potentially world class and creative to boot. I know Pep really rates him but having just bought Mahrez how much game time is he going to get at City. I rather hope Pep sends him out on loan to another Premier League side (maybe one of the promoted ones.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm

I said to the wife before we started the kick off, FFS don't lose control of the midfield, and don't start hoofing the fooking ball and play right into Croatia's game plan, Stirling and Lingard were too light weight up for this game, against a very physical Croatia defence, Rashford would have been the better choice with Ruben Loftus Cheek backing up Kane, and the experience of Gary Cahill in the back 4 and Henderson and Jones in the midfield breaking up the Luka Modric control, :roll: But there you go they wont listen to experience

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 am

Start time in the UK is 4pm Sunday for the Final Event. You can feasibly imagine the scenes around major cities had they won it by late afternoon..

Fair enough if you're a part of it, i.e. a further 6 + hours of liquor and intoxicants, flying glasses, missiles, rowdy behavior, hollering and emergency services stretched to the limit, while some hours after : people and businesses mired in the afterbirth.

Say again get involved where you can if you're the home team, but intolerable for some non-English. Good luck in the third place game, should be something of an honor.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:06 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:14 pm
Maybe an allocation amount for England had been reached?

You should've said "Scottish". I'd have loaned you my SRU tartan kilt for the day.
Yes I did that and the result was same as Croatia. Must be something along the lines that you suggest.
Anyway one more game and back to normal life.......