World Cup 2018 (All World Cup Chat Exclusively Here Please).

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

charlton837

Re: World Cup 2018 (All World Cup Chat Exclusively Here Please).

Post by charlton837 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Honestly Tang I don't think the Belgium game will tell us much for a number of reasons:
i. Yellow cards are erased after the round of 16 games (I think) so this dead rubber is not going to be contested in a way that will lead to more cards. Maybe even some players with one card will be rested.
ii. Key players are not going to be risked in this dead game.
iii. With the draw becoming clearer now it could well be better to finish second in this group and prepare for a ROS game against Japan who I don't see having any issues against an abject Poland.
The only interest in the Belgium game for me is in watching players on both sides who haven't started and are fighting to start v Japan (or Senegal who should manage to hold Colombia).
My big concern is actually that we won't play a properly competitive game against a good side until the QF when I predict us playing against Brazil. This could count against us.

I agree with this Dubai, I think the game has draw written all over it. For our pathway at the moment there seems no huge advantage between finishing 1st or 2nd so I don't think either us or Belgium are going to be too worried. If for example we would avoid a Brazil or Germany in last 16 by winning group it may be a different matter but that isn't the case. Can see there being a couple of changes by both, neither wanting to get many if any bookings and just a general stand off.

Could be wrong but I don't see the motivation for either being that high to win it, certainly not by risking too much. Im sure neither want to lose as you want to go into last 16 with some momentum so for that reason I can see us cancelling each other out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:14 pm

For me it will be a mistake not to take it seriously, we need to go out to win it with our strongest team, build some momentum and make a statement we are afraid of no-one.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:I have the impression that some made up their minds about VAR before we started and are simply not watching. For me it's been awesome and clearly we will never go back. BEIN before the game over here went through the numbers before the Serbia game and out of 12 pens awarded so far 6 were VAR awards. All of course were correct. That's 6 penalties that would not have happened without VAR. That statistic alone should be enough to persuade the doubters.

Even better we had a great example from the Brazil v Costa Rica game of VAR pointing out that a ref had given a pen to cheating Neymar by mistake. FANTASTIC! A cheat caught out by VAR. Only issue was why Neymar didn't get a yellow for the dive.

I respect you guys and your thoughts but I simply can't understand how anyone can say that VAR has not been a fantastic success so far. It seems to me that some of you friends are watching games in a parallel universe :mrgreen:
agree 100%

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:For me it will be a mistake not to take it seriously, we need to go out to win it with our strongest team, build some momentum and make a statement we are afraid of no-one.
Absolutely agree 100%, momentum is key and everyone should want to play in this one tactical or not given that we have the advantage of 24hrs notice of where Brazil and Germany are in the Round of 16 and who we would most likely meet in the QF’s if we win our fourth match.

This could be our most exciting World Cup for a while, but hey, haven’t I heard that before somewhere.

I must say I enjoyed that game so much yesterday i’ve booked tickets for the Spain v England match in Seville on 15 October.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Agree with the momentum, but it was hot and we're the last game before the knockout stages, we won't have as much time to recover as other teams.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Mark Lawrenson? Thank Fk for TV remote mute buttons.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:39 pm

God I hate this f****** VAR.
Stop start, stop start. The only thing worse is these players rolling around like they have been shot.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 pm

How some of you guys see this f**king VAR farce as a positive for the game of football is beyond me.

As for the World Cup itself...., there has been a few very memorable goals, but it’s been an absolute sh*t World Cup, made infinitely worse by VAR.

And the sooner FIFA find a solution for play-acting, the better.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:55 pm

marko69 wrote:How some of you guys see this f**king VAR farce as a positive for the game of football is beyond me.

As for the World Cup itself...., there has been a few very memorable goals, but it’s been an absolute sh*t World Cup, made infinitely worse by VAR.

And the sooner FIFA find a solution for play-acting, the better.
Marko
Don’t worry they will be happy when they have killed the game.
Will be in Kaliningrad on Thursday and if you see somebody has
run on the pitch and put their foot through the VAR screen you know who it is. :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:01 pm

I will be watching Shed, and please do...... it will be very pleasing to see that f**king TV in the glass box smashed. It’s SH!T.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:41 am

There’s been some good decisions with VAR, but there’s been some howlers.

I can’t help feel certain referees love it as it’s just re-emphasised their role on the pitch and they love the central role dashing over to the monitor and being centre of attention.

I’m just concerned if VAR isn’t used appropriately the game will descend to a point where it’s all completely about manipulating the referee to get a penalty. Maybe it’s like that already.... but VAR’s supposed to cut that out.

That Iran “penalty” last night was not a penalty. I don’t care if it hit his hand... it wasn’t deliberate.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:05 am

I think the biggest problem with the World Cup is the fact that the referres selected to officiate are collectively a weak bunch with a number of them coming from third world countries where competitive football is played at a much lower level in front of small crowds where they come under less pressure.

From when the list was first published 3 were withdrawn for various misdemeanours including match fixing which gives you a flavour of how little screening went into their selection.

I still can’t believe Mark Clattenburg wasn’t replaced when he retired from referring in the Premier League as surely we must have at least one referre up to the standard required to officiate at this level.

This is the first time in 80 years that we’ve not had a British referee officiating at the World Cup.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:21 am

I think the problem here might be a little as Charnwood suggests. The guidelines are clear for VAR officials. The referral should be based on a 'clear and obvious' potential error. I'm not sure if the handball penalty was clear and obvious, maybe there needs to be a better definition of 'clear and obvious' or better education for VAR officials on how they are supposed to determine it.

Finally it makes no sense to discuss the merits of individual cases now VAR is in operation. For example the Iran penalty. I also was not convinced about the decision when I saw it. VAR however means the there is a whole panel of people looking in detail at a number of videos of an incident. If they decide it's a penalty then it's a penalty and my opinion is worth squat!
Obviously this is only if the first paragraph above applies :lol:

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 am

There's no point having technology if that then has to be interpreted by a human being. It still causes controversy.

I think it's worked in some cases but there have been others whereby all but the VAR officials agree it's been wrong.

Goal line technology was different as it's not interpreted by anyone, its a clear yes or no which is defined by the technology itself. If we are to continue with this farce I would prefer it if each team had 1 review per half, if they win their review they can then keep one in hand.

Domhide

Post by Domhide » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:19 am

Football as we knew it died last night.
Obvious now that FIFA have weaponized VAR, so they can control the entire competition from some room in Moscow. The farce last night made the Euro-vision Song Contest seem like proceedings at the Old Bailey. Via inadequate or dodgy officials FIFA can now manipulate the entire process. The pundits are either too stupid or frightened to call it. Consider;
We are told that VAR can only be used for RED card offences. Yet last night after minutes of pantomime the ref decides that Ronaldo was guilty of the VAR incident and gives only a yellow card. Why do they not have an official clock that counts up the 'VAR Time' - no way is the crowd getting their monies worth as the VAR time does not seem to be accurately interpreted or gives even more latitude for interpretation of extra time. The average extra time after a first half seems to be 1 > 2 minutes and the extra time on that extra time is normally Zero. However, the average extra time on the second half is 4 minutes (3 minutes for subs and 1 for incidents) which = 9% of the 45 minutes. So why are we seeing play then extended by 50% + of that official extra time. During normal play a team gets a free kick, they take circa 30 seconds plus to line up the wall etc - the game clock is still running. Yet in extra time a team gets a free kick in the last 5 seconds of the time allocated and the game is allowed to continue for another 90 seconds.

The sorry excuse for pundits explain that VAR is new and needs to be tweaked. Bullshit; Official clocks and VAR are established practice in Rugby and Cricket and the crowd gets a chance to see the evidence. Yet the worlds largest franchise sport can't even match what is already out there.

Gone are the days when some FAT Cat gambler got the electricity turned off to make a killing; with VAR they have a whole new ball game to get rich.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Yeah, we can sit here and pick holes in it all day long at the moment. Get to the 88th minute and no one knows if there is 2 minutes left to be played or 15. They need to start stopping time like rugby if they're going to continue with this farcical version of VAR.

That was never a penalty for Iran in my opinion. It needs to be clear and obvious (apparently), and that was ball to hand, no intent. One problem is watch it in super slow it looks like he has time to think and get his arm in the way, watch it real time and you'll see it's just ricocheting everywhere.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:20 pm

So reading all that its blatantly obvious that VAR is no different to the Ref, some fab decisions and some sh*te ones, only difference is I get a chance to cut the f**king grass while the Ref waits on a decision, what an absolute embarrassment this is, just get rid and shoot the pr*ck that suggested it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:28 pm

I fail to understand how it works so well in Rugby yet so poorly in football, maybe it’s a simple as there are more cheats in football than in rugby.

Any thoughts ?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 am

Charnwood wrote:I fail to understand how it works so well in Rugby yet so poorly in football, maybe it’s a simple as there are more cheats in football than in rugby.

Any thoughts ?
I think that covers it perfectly!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Helmet Kohl, Claudia Schiffer, David Hasselhoff, Ludwig van Beethoven, Kraftwerk, Joseph Goebbels, Nena and her 99 luftballons, Jürgen Klinsmann... you boys took a hell of a beating !!!!!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:29 pm

OMG I am so happy to be wrong!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Ve Are Rubbish !!!

See what it means now

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:OMG I am so happy to be wrong!!!
Bodes well for next years Prediction League !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Serbia looking good in the first 15mins v Brazil, could there be another shock on the cards ?

Switzerland not completely dominant against Costa Rica, this World Cup has been blown wide open.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:21 am

So the question is this: Do we avoid winning against Belgium and pick up a couple of yellows in order to finish 2nd in the group and in the half with Spain & Croatia (who ww would not meet until the semis - I fancy Croatia to be there)

OR

Do we keep the momentum going against a weakened Belgium who we already know will be without Lukaku & DeBruyne but end up in the same half as Argentina, Portugal, France & Brazil?

Hmmmm..... Thoughts?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:03 am

Go for an entertaining 3-3 draw and stick on Nick Pope as a striker with 5 minutes to go to pick up a red card. Second place by virtue of worse disciplinary record.

Seriously, we should be going to win this game. It’s actually a bit depressing that it’s been talked about so much like this.... makes we not want to even watch the game. I hope some pride kicks in with the players and they both go for it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:49 pm

I think we should play a full strength line up against Belgium, and we should play for the win. Round of 16 games will be much more difficult, and the knockout format leaves little room for cautious mistakes. Belgium should be a great test for England, and there's no reason why we can't win.

COY...3 LIONS!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:11 pm

number 9 wrote:I think we should play a full strength line up against Belgium, and we should play for the win. Round of 16 games will be much more difficult, and the knockout format leaves little room for cautious mistakes. Belgium should be a great test for England, and there's no reason why we can't win.

COY...3 LIONS!!!
Exactly this !!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:57 am

I’m a bit disappointed with today’s line up, but who am I to question young Gareth. I hope Kane was indeed getting a rest, and hasn’t been lipping the vodka & potato whale stomach...or whatever the f*ck they eat over there (Saint would know). Columbia won’t be easy. If we play defensive, we’ll get beat. I think we’ll win...this one.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

I was quite disappointed with the game but not the outcome which improves our chances of progressing further in the competition and gave our key players a rest.

Clearly Gareth Southgate wasn’t concerned about losing otherwise he’d have made attacking substitutions including bringing on top scorer Harry Kane. Rashfords miss also looked slightly suspect as he normally slots those home for fun.