Transfer Window Rumours 2018/19

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Transfer Window Rumours 2018/19

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:53 am

Flynn Downes needs to stay and be developed at Portman Road. In my opinion of course.

Can’t offer opinion on Aristotle (or any of the great thinkers) or Nolan. Can’t say I really followed the Shrews that closely....... was more interested in Mowbray getting Blackburn back.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:59 am

tangfastic wrote:
The defender makes sense. We’d have to move on some midfielders for Nolan... and he could cost a bit.

Hurst has the habit of buying players he’s worked with before. We’ve got too many midfielders but too many are injury prone or lacking in experience.

Would he consider selling a young player like Bishop, Dozzell, Downes or Nydam to bring in some funds?
Why would he sell any of our young up-and-coming midfielders? Surely he'd be better to sell some of the older ones, although whether any of them would command any sort of fee is doubtful

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:14 am

rossi wrote:
tangfastic wrote:
The defender makes sense. We’d have to move on some midfielders for Nolan... and he could cost a bit.

Hurst has the habit of buying players he’s worked with before. We’ve got too many midfielders but too many are injury prone or lacking in experience.

Would he consider selling a young player like Bishop, Dozzell, Downes or Nydam to bring in some funds?
Why would he sell any of our young up-and-coming midfielders? Surely he'd be better to sell some of the older ones, although whether any of them would command any sort of fee is doubtful
That’s the thing.... Huws is injury prone. Adeyemi’s been out for a year. Skuse has a nice new deal here and would have no value anyway.

I can only see value in the younger players .... and you can’t squeeze them all into the team.

Could be Hurst is salivating with the crop of midfielders we have already and not interested in another midfielder, but midfield does need to improve - whether it’s the influence of a new manager or personnel change.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:19 pm

I would be very unimpressed if we were to sell Downes, Dozzell or Nydam, all very promising prospects, Nolan looks decent but any better than what we have ? I'm not convinced, Nsiala on the other hand would be a most welcome addition and won't cost as much.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 pm

tangfastic wrote: That’s the thing.... Huws is injury prone. Adeyemi’s been out for a year. Skuse has a nice new deal here and would have no value anyway.

I can only see value in the younger players .... and you can’t squeeze them all into the team.

Could be Hurst is salivating with the crop of midfielders we have already and not interested in another midfielder, but midfield does need to improve - whether it’s the influence of a new manager or personnel change.
You could - if you leave out the 2 injury-prone ones plus the one you say has no value. Think I'd rather have a group of up-and-coming players in my midfield than a bunch of crocks and has-beens

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Town and Hull City have been linked with a move for Middlesbrough winger Marvin Johnson, while Nottingham Forest are said to be keen on Blues striker Martyn Waghorn.

According to the Daily Mail, Johnson, 27, who was signed from Oxford last August for £3 million, could depart the Riverside this summer either permanently or on loan with Town and the Tigers both interested. Birmingham, who are managed by his former Boro boss Garry Monk, have also been linked.

Boro are said to accept they will have to take a loss on the fee which was paid last summer.

Johnson made six Middlesbrough starts and 12 sub appearances during 2017/18, scoring one goal.

Prior to his time with Oxford, the Birmingham-born wideman played in non-league with Solihull Moors, Coleshill Town (loan), Romulus, Kidderminster Harriers and Hednesford Town (loan) as well as at Motherwell in Scotland.

Town boss Paul Hurst has said he is looking to add wingers to a squad which he sees as unbalanced.

If the Blues are interested in Johnson, who has two years left on his contract, the Teesiders would have to be willing to take a very significant hit on the £3 million they paid for him, certainly to offload him on a permanent basis. A loan would appear a more likely option.

Meanwhile, the Daily Mirror claims Forest boss Aitor Karanka is showing interest in 16-goal Blues top scorer Martyn Waghorn among a number of other strikers, including ex-Town frontman Jack Marriott, who is currently with Peterborough.

Waghorn, 28, is contracted to the Blues until the summer of 2019 with the club having an option for a further season.

Karanka’s main striking target is Patrick Bamford, who he took to Boro during his time in charge on Teesside, while he is said to be looking to move on former Blues frontman Daryl Murphy, now 35.
Don't know much about Marvin Johnson but I suppose we will be linked with every winger who becomes available between now and the start of the season.

I certainly don't see Waghorn going anywhere.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:52 pm

An Italian report claims the Blues and Reading are showing interest in Genoa winger Manuel Milinkovic, who spent 2017/18 on loan in Scotland with Hearts.

According to Tuttomercatoweb.com, the Edinburgh side would like to keep hold of the 24-year-old and the clubs have an agreement regarding a permanent switch, however, the player is unhappy with the contract on offer at Tynecastle.

The report claims the impasse could see other clubs come into the running with Town and the Royals said to be interested.

Blues manager Paul Hurst said at his press conference last week that adding wingers is his priority as he addresses an imbalance in his squad ahead of the new season.

Town director of football Dave Bowman, who is effectively the club’s chief scout, is known to have spent time scouting in Scotland last season.

Antibes-born French-Serbian Milinkovic - sometimes known by his middle name David - played youth football with AS Cannes in France and then Red Star Belgrade in Serbia.

Spells with Rad and BASK, also Belgrade-based sides, followed before he moved on to Italy and Ternana, Salernitana and in 2016 Genoa, where he has a year left on his contract but is yet to make a first-team appearance.

After loan stints with Virtus Lanciano, Messina and Foggia, Milinkovic, who primarily plays in the left but can also operate on the right or up front, moved to Hearts in August last year, scoring six goals in 16 starts and 10 sub appearances.
Another one I know nothing about, Milinkovic ???

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 am

Sounds like every agent who has a winger on his books is creating the links. And journalists have to fill space whilst nothing is going on.
Actually, Milinkovic does look handy on youtube, but at just 24, he’s had a lot of clubs and never stuck around anywhere.

I wouldn’t want Waghorn to leave. Arguably, our best outfield player. Can’t see it happening unless we’re offered stupid money.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:01 pm

TWTD understands the Blues are looking to sign Chelsea youngster Trevoh Chalobah on a season-long loan.

We understand the 18-year-old centre-half has already visited Playford Road to speak to Blues boss Paul Hurst but the clubs are still to agree the terms of the proposed switch.

Chalobah, the younger brother of Watford’s Nathaniel and an England U19s team-mate of Andre Dozzell, Tristan Nydam and Flynn Downes, is yet to make a senior appearance for Chelsea but was named among the subs for the FA Cup final in May.

Born in Freetown, Sierra Leone, Chalobah, who can also operate at right-back or in central midfield, has been capped by England at U16, U17 and U19 levels.

He joined Chelsea as an U9 and has won numerous honours at academy level, including the UEFA Youth League in 2015/16, the FA Youth Cup the same season and also in 2016/17 when he also picked up an U18 Premier League winner's medal.
I think this could be a decent bit of business, he is supposed to be highly thought of and you aint at Chelsea for nothing, England U19 etc too suggests he has something, looks to be pretty versatile as well, I would not be adverse to this.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Young Dozzell’s team mate in U 19’s I believe. Wouldnt mind Carter-Vickers back too tbh

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 am

I’m not so sure about Chalobah. With Carter-Vickers, he was ready-made to start games at this level. For a CB, you generally need a bit of time to learn the game. It’s a tough position for an 18 year old with no game time behind him.
If Chalobah is not ready to push for a first team place, then all we’re doing is giving him an apprenticeship whereby he’s keeping one of our own youngsters out of the squad.
It could be that this kid is so good he can make that leap. It’s down to Hurst’s judgement on this one and it seems he’s had success with his loan deals at Shrewsbury.... so we’ll see.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:17 pm

I tend to agree, imagining him as one of the recognised first choice CB's is a tad concerning and if as you say it is to give him learning time then I would rather see Luke Woolfenden given the chance as he looks very assured and up to it, he impressed me end of last season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:51 am

Apparently Town are looking at a young Colchester LB or LWB.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -full-back

You never know if this is just nonsense, but, if true, would this mean something more wider, regarding our existing players ie Knudsen, or perhaps Kenlock? I wouldn't have thought we would be looking at bringing in a LB, unless one was on their way out.

Probably nothing, but just had a vision of Doig greeting Knudsen after returning after the World Cup by saying' Hi Jonas, you know you said be careful what you wish for - well you're looking up at him"

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Yes indeed, very interesting to see what PH's thoughts on players are and which way he plans to play. Personally I have always said Jonas Knudsen is a hopeless LB but ok in a back Three or even as a CB in a flat back Four, for me a good LB being brought in with Kenlock as back up would be good, that said does this guy sound like a possible regular first team starter ? Not sure I'm convinced.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:05 pm

looks like Chalobah is happening. Sounds a promising player but id prefer to promote/develop our own teenagers than someone elses, especially when we have a few good ones coming through at the moment.

But lets see what happens with this one

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:12 pm

He does sound decent in several positions and it may be that it does not impact on the chances of our own youngsters. I love we are doing business early, I love that PH is open about who it was and I especially love the fact that we appear to have beaten off a fair bit of competition for his signature.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 pm

I can’t help feel that Chelsea wouldn’t want Chalobah to go to a club and only get a handful of appearances. Hurst must have swayed Chelsea by stating that he’s someone he seriously thinks could be in the team. He’s highly-rated and there’s plenty of interest, so sitting on the bench and playing under-23’s is no good for him.

We’ve got plenty of CM’s so I’d expect a couple to be off-loaded or perhaps the younger ones to go out on loan.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:09 pm

This guy is predominantly a CB though isn't he ? so I would think that is where we may see him

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:23 pm

I’m just happy to see PH active and trying to make a difference probably working on a shoestring budget.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:38 am

I think we may be working on a mediocre budget as oppose to shoestring although could be wrong! When it comes to PL season long loans I think weve seen we do try and be competitive and offer something attractive as its a key part of our strategy. A mix of our own players with one or two starlets which are on loan, would be nice for one of them to be our player though going forwards!

For me the thing I like the most so far is that Hurst seemingly insisted he wanted to change up pre season, not because he didn't think Ireland would be fine, but because he wants to break the players out of the same routines and get something different and fresh going. Sounds to me like Hurst may have challenged Evans in a nice way on this, if so I think that's a good omen, certainly there will be times when Evans says no, but I feel an ambitious manager should be challenging within reason if he feels its a worthwhile thing to do. From the outside at least it looked as though previous management gave up challenging and just went with whatever would be easiest, after a while this becomes habit and gives the groundhog day feel. It may be a different story from the inside and perhaps those challenges were just turned down but nice to see some positivity coming out of the club at the second, we could really do with a decent start. A win at home against Norwich would do this club all sorts of good if we can pull it off

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:25 am

charlton837 wrote:I think we may be working on a mediocre budget as oppose to shoestring although could be wrong! When it comes to PL season long loans I think weve seen we do try and be competitive and offer something attractive as its a key part of our strategy. A mix of our own players with one or two starlets which are on loan, would be nice for one of them to be our player though going forwards!

For me the thing I like the most so far is that Hurst seemingly insisted he wanted to change up pre season, not because he didn't think Ireland would be fine, but because he wants to break the players out of the same routines and get something different and fresh going. Sounds to me like Hurst may have challenged Evans in a nice way on this, if so I think that's a good omen, certainly there will be times when Evans says no, but I feel an ambitious manager should be challenging within reason if he feels its a worthwhile thing to do. From the outside at least it looked as though previous management gave up challenging and just went with whatever would be easiest, after a while this becomes habit and gives the groundhog day feel. It may be a different story from the inside and perhaps those challenges were just turned down but nice to see some positivity coming out of the club at the second, we could really do with a decent start. A win at home against Norwich would do this club all sorts of good if we can pull it off
Ditto. I got that MM was very proud of his work on a shoestring .... but it also kind of felt that the bar was also set a little bit too low.... and a little bit too comfortably low. Having someone push that little bit extra is a good sign. Hurst could easily have gone with the flow on this, but obviously stuck his neck out.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:13 am

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/33874 Any thoughts on this one. Webster being sort by Bristol City.......again.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:39 am

I have high hopes that Webster can kick on under Hurst. I think he’s stood still a bit under MM and he’s injury-prone.

The thing is .... 4 million for a player who’s got a tendency to pick up injuries could be good business. Thinking back to Didsy ... we should have taken that 7 or 8 million.

Unless we could replace Webster, this wouldn’t make sense, though, as we’re light on CB’s. I don’t take this seriously at the moment, but maybe Hurst may have concerns about his fitness and would prefer to offload and bank the money.

If Webster can stay fit and improve under Hurst, then we could develop one of the best defenders in the league.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:05 am

The guy from Blackpool could be a decent alternative, big and strong and loves to play out from the back, we've been linked to him so possible deals to be done ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:00 am

I wonder how much the fitness levels and history of existing players will influence Hurst?

Webster has a tendency to pick up mid to long term injuries. Huws has played only 21 games in 3 years. Maybe Bishop has played less in 3 years. Adeyemi has been out for the season.
On paper, we have some decent players, but they’re useless if they’re constantly on the treatment table and a burden on the wage bill.

Whatever you think of Chambers, Skuse and Knudsen.... they’re hardy players and don’t tend to pick up muscle and strain injuries.

I don’t know how easy it would be to replace Webster, but I can’t help feel he’s got a 3 month lay off somewhere during a season. I don’t want him to go, but his injury history is my greatest concern.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:33 am

Some interesting thoughts here and whilst we don't know the views of Hurst & Doig, if they think that they can bring in cheaper alternatives that can do just as well as current stars and realise around £m++ in profits to go into the transfer kitty to buy/loan an impact player (like the Shrews did last year) then maybe this strategy has some sense.....

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Webster off to Brizzel City for £3:5 million it seems

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/33877

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 pm

I saw 5 million.... but Pompey could get a 20% cut.

Hmmmm..... decent player and one I’d hoped to flourish under Hurst, but could we have got 40 + games from Webster per season?

Could be great business if we buy well.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:04 pm

3.5 million rising to 8 million!!! WTF great business

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:04 pm

That came out of the blue. Cant see why hurst would sell him this soon after taking over. Maybe it was already on the cards.

It sort of confirms where we are as a club when Bristol city seem a better option for a young player. Let's hope over time Hurst can change this.