Transfer Window Rumours 2018/19

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ricco

Re: Transfer Window Rumours 2018/19

Post by Ricco » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Ando wrote:That came out of the blue. Cant see why hurst would sell him this soon after taking over
You really think Hurst had a say in it?

I'm not happy with this!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Lets be realistic, he's a sick note, was p*ss poor second half of the season and a potential 8.5 million is a no brainer, remember all the moaners saying we should have sold Didsy, easy to be smart after the event. I'm not unhappy with it at all.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:Lets be realistic, he's a sick note, was p*ss poor second half of the season and a potential 8.5 million is a no brainer, remember all the moaners saying we should have sold Didsy, easy to be smart after the event. I'm not unhappy with it at all.
I said we should have sold Didsy, it's in writing somewhere :lol:

Also in writing somewhere is me saying that the defenders we have at the club are the worst in my lifetime (then I was reminded of Santos and Diallo!)... but they do remain the second worse, definitely now.

We conceded 60 goals last year, Webster hadn't found the form he once showed, but he's 23 and the best defensive prospect we've had for years, certainly centrally. I'd happily take the money next season, or even January if we looked safe, but we don't know how this summer is going to go and the bookies suggest badly. I'm not sure it's worth the risk with a new manager coming in, we all know this money is going to slowly dribble away in same benign directions, it won't be reinvested and Chambers is aging and not an amazing CB (as much as I love the bloke).

Hurst is going to have to work miracles, next season is going to hinge on who he can get to replace Webster, because currently we're f*cked.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 pm

Hurst will without question already have irons in the fire with regard to replacements, let's wait and see who comes in, I had high hopes for Webster too but he disappointed me big time, and the other thing is he may not wanted to have stayed, we just don't know the facts as yet. I personally got fed up of a treatment room that was constantly full, we all did, he has had so many injuries and will do again, he's weak in that respect. Exciting times ahead.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:59 pm

At least he hasn't gone cheaply, but I fully expect a couple of 30+ years has beens to come in a fill the gaps, I can't see us attracting much else. Fingers crossed and nails bitten for sure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:00 am

I've got a feeling Hurst will go back to Shrewsbury for Nsiala.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:14 am

Ipswich Town fans have taken to social media to react to the news that star defender Adam Webster is set to join Bristol City.

The somewhat surprising move was revealed this afternoon with Webster, who missed much of last season through injury, in Bristol for a medical ahead of the move, which we understand to be for an initial fee of £3.5m, which could rise as high as £8m.

Webster’s former club Portsmouth will receive a sell-on fee, believed to be 20%, effectively doubling what Town initially paid for him (£700k) two years ago.

We understand that new Blues boss Paul Hurst has been assured by owner Marcus Evans that the funds raised will go straight into his transfer kitty as he looks to mould his own squad this summer.
Well I sincerely hope the last sentence is true !!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:16 am

I’m holding fire for now on the Webster deal.

I see it as Hurst generating funds for bringing in 2 or 3 players. So I expect over the next few days or a week we’ll see players coming in. Time will tell whether they add to the quality of the squad.

I don’t think Webster has ever played more than 25 games a season.... so we could have a situation in a years time where he’s had another injury-plagued season with only a year left on his contract ( after triggering the one year clause) and his value would be less.

I see this as Hurst’s decision ( wheeling and dealing) and not ME’s (money disappearing into a black hole) at the moment. I think we should see things happening soon.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:11 am

Ahem, didn't he already replace Webster with the lad from Chelsea. Supposedly an even better ball playing CB?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:51 am

Dubai Blue wrote:Ahem, didn't he already replace Webster with the lad from Chelsea. Supposedly an even better ball playing CB?
Chalobah has not played one game for Chelsea first team or even as a loanee elsewhere. That’s a lot of faith in an 18 year old.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 am

I get that but Webster was a league 1 player playing for the first time in the Champ and Chalobah has been selected for the Chelsea first team and featured for his country at U18 level.

Both moves took faith.

Anyway I'm sure there will be another CB coming in so we will see what Hurst decided as the friendlies get under way.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:56 am

Winger Jordan Roberts confirmed today, any remote chance of focusing on the positives?

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 am

Bluemike wrote:Winger Jordan Roberts confirmed today, any remote chance of focusing on the positives?
I think you are on the wrong forum for that Mike ;-)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Ahem, didn't he already replace Webster with the lad from Chelsea. Supposedly an even better ball playing CB?

"Replaced" with a season long loanee.

Not brilliant IMO :mrgreen:

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:Winger Jordan Roberts confirmed today, any remote chance of focusing on the positives?
yes, from me.

Jordan Roberts looks decent, I never ever saw what people saw in Webster, the Chelsea loanee could be superb given the chance, McGoldrick gone.

Even better, from everything being said, I get the impression that Chambers and Skuse will not be automatic starts for every game.

Bring it on - I'm optimistic

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Gary !!!!! Yes, im loving it, I am not sad about Webster at all and am very excited by the prospect of seeing Chalobah stepping up. We all wanted change right ? Now we are getting it some are unhappy, just don't understand it tbh.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Bluemike wrote:We all wanted change right ? Now we are getting it some are unhappy, just don't understand it tbh.
Herpes would be new for me, not all change is good.

Besides, selling our best players isn't new. I'm not bashing anyone or complaining, just trying to hold my emotions until some football has been played, unfair to criticise until then you say, and I agree, but I also find it hard to praise too much until then too. I liked Webster, I was looking forward to seeing how he'd progress in a (hopefully) injury free season, 23 is nothing for CB, hell of a lot of potential.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:

"Replaced" with a season long loanee.

Not brilliant IMO :mrgreen:

Or you could say brought in a loanee, as to assess the youngsters coming through without putting them under pressure, and buying time to see what sort of CB's are available, if needed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Ricco wrote:
Bluemike wrote:We all wanted change right ? Now we are getting it some are unhappy, just don't understand it tbh.
Herpes would be new for me, not all change is good.

Besides, selling our best players isn't new. I'm not bashing anyone or complaining, just trying to hold my emotions until some football has been played, unfair to criticise until then you say, and I agree, but I also find it hard to praise too much until then too. I liked Webster, I was looking forward to seeing how he'd progress in a (hopefully) injury free season, 23 is nothing for CB, hell of a lot of potential.
Thankfully we havent sold any of our best players, you clearly saw Webster last season when he wasn't on the treatment table I take it ? Second half of the season he was p*ss poor and despite what same will tell you Chambo was often covering in areas he shouldn't have been and yet he got the flak. I think it is good business but also the following quote needs to be taken into account too :-
“We didn’t want to lose Adam but it was very clear that the move appealed to him,” he told the club site.

“I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven’t let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad.
If a player want's away then it is foolish to keep him, maybe he hated the sh*te atmosphere our wonderful fans helped to create last season @ Or maybe he doesn't like the hard regime Hurst is putting into place ? The fact is we will never know but he wanted away, goodbye !!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Town are reported to have made an enquiry to Nottingham Forest regarding winger Barrie McKay.

According to Football Insider, the Blues have made an approach for the 23-year-old, who joined Forest from Rangers last summer for a fee of £500,000.

Forest are said to be open to offers for the Paisley-born wideman, who can also play up front. Earlier this month, the once-capped Scotland international, who is contracted until 2021, was strongly linked with a move to Greek side Olympiacos.

McKay, who had spells on loan at Greenock Morton and Raith Rovers while at Rangers having come through their youth ranks after a spell with Kilmarnock as a schoolboy, made 22 starts and four sub appearances for Forest last season, scoring five times, but was rarely involved after Aitor Karanka took over as boss from his former Ibrox manager Mark Warburton.

Blues boss Paul Hurst, who has cash at his disposal following the sale of Adam Webster, has said adding wingers to his squad is a priority having secured the signing of former Crawley man Jordan Roberts earlier today.
I would like this very much, what i've seen of Mckay has impressed me, another good winger who can also operate as a forward !! Get it done, I just hope the Waghorn rumour to Forest is not part of any potential deal.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-tow ... -1-5582835

Very impressive, watch the video.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:38 pm

Hopefully, with a fit squad, there will be players eager to impress and gain a place on the team instead of the usual injured suspects sitting on the sidelines and the "Mick Mcarthy" favourites getting to play week in and week out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Ando wrote:That came out of the blue. Cant see why hurst would sell him this soon after taking over. Maybe it was already on the cards.

It sort of confirms where we are as a club when Bristol city seem a better option for a young player. Let's hope over time Hurst can change this.
The thing is Ando even Bristol City just sold their best striker so everyone is a selling club, that could be looked upon as a lack of ambition and yet Bristol are shouting from the rooftops how ambitious they are, sometimes you have to sell to rebuild and Webster with his biscuit legs is a good option compared to a few others.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Ando wrote:That came out of the blue. Cant see why hurst would sell him this soon after taking over. Maybe it was already on the cards.

It sort of confirms where we are as a club when Bristol city seem a better option for a young player. Let's hope over time Hurst can change this.
The thing is Ando even Bristol City just sold their best striker so everyone is a selling club, that could be looked upon as a lack of ambition and yet Bristol are shouting from the rooftops how ambitious they are, sometimes you have to sell to rebuild and Webster with his biscuit legs is a good option compared to a few others.

Isn't that what happened when we sold Dyer?
And didn't we buy Marcus Stewart with the money, and look where he got us

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:26 am

TWTD understands the Blues are keen to sign former Shrewsbury winger Alex Rodman on a free transfer.

As previously reported, Rodman, 31, a key man in new Blues manager Paul Hurst’s Shrews side, turned down a new contract with the Shropshire club earlier in the week.

Sutton Coldfield-born Rodman was a schoolboy with Aston Villa, Wolves, Arden Forest and Coleshill Town but gave up football for a three-year spell from the age of 15 to concentrate on golf before joining Leamington, where he made his first senior appearances.

Stints with Grantham Town, Lincoln United, Gainsborough Trinity, Nuneaton Borough, Tamworth, Aldershot - during which time he overcame a pulmonary embolism which came close to killing him - and York City (loan) followed before Hurst signed him for Grimsby in 2013.

After one season at Blundell Park, England C cap Rodman opted to move on to Gateshead - after reported interest from Hibernian - before moving to Newport County in 2015.

A year later he joined to Notts County before Hurst took him to Shrewsbury in January 2017. Rodman made 64 starts and 11 sub appearances for the Shrews, scoring 10 goals.

In addition to his 11-a-side career, Rodman, who has a degree in Business Studies from Nottingham Trent and is studying a Masters in Sports Directorship at Manchester Metropolitan University, won five caps at futsal in 2006/07.

Blues boss Hurst said at his first press conference that he felt the squad he is inheriting was "slightly unbalanced” and lacking in wingers in particular.

Earlier today, he recruited one wideman, Jordan Roberts, on a free transfer following his Crawley exit at the end of last season.
I can't say I am jumping up and down at this one to be honest, yes he looked ok the couple of times I saw him but at 31 he hasn't exactly pulled up trees, would much rather is was Aristote Nsiala from what I saw, but in Hurst I trust.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:14 am

In regards to Rodman ... I’m not too excited as well due to his age and his background.

He’s turned down a new contract at 31 at Shrewsbury, where’s he’s played at his highest ever level ( League 1) last season... I can’t help but feel this is a done deal. I would have thought a 31 year old who’s spent 10 years flitting between non-league and League 2 clubs would have jumped at a new deal with a League1 club. Maybe he’s had offers elsewhere.
Prefer the sound of the Scottish lad.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:53 am

McKay would be a very good signing in my opinion but Rodman looks more likely unfortunately.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:31 pm

Getting a bit concerned now...…………….

Webster to Bristol City
Ben Knight to Man City
Marcelo Flores being looked at by Arsenal
And Now
Boro targeting Waghorn.

I know we have to sell to buy, but come on, lets not strip mine the team

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:07 pm

I know we can't stop others being interested in our players, nor do we have the power to stop academy kids moving on but I would be far from happy if we were allow Waghorn to be sold, every player has a price but really ? For what it is worth I don't see him departing any time soon. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:36 pm

My only concern with Martyn Waghorn is that he could be quite excited by a return to his home territory having been brought up nearby in South Shields. Hopefully he’s as happy in Ipswich as he said he was in his recent interview although I suspect he’d be even happier closer to his roots.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:23 pm

He has just moved his parents down here too so hopefully he is settled