Transfer Window Rumours 2018/19

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Transfer Window Rumours 2018/19

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:35 am

I think Garner made it clear he wanted to return to his naive North due to some personal issues, it sounded as though it was not our intention to offload him too but other things brought it to a head, as usual there are the rumours of issues with his partner etc but nobody knows for sure.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:35 am
I think Garner made it clear he wanted to return to his naive North due to some personal issues, it sounded as though it was not our intention to offload him too but other things brought it to a head, as usual there are the rumours of issues with his partner etc but nobody knows for sure.
I agree, it did seem all of a bit sudden, Mike.

A pity really as I thought him playing alongside one of the new frontmen would have worked well.

A for rumours, that is all they are. I tend to ignore them.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 pm
No thanks !!! Totally underwhelmed by it. We need 3 good loans and we get Jordan f**king Graham and possibly Jerome FFS
think your actually wrong there Mike, (well there's got to be a first ) Graham was a class at the Wolves until he was injured and he is nearly back to form, would do a great job for you.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... wich-town/

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:18 pm

Jon Walters in discussions with us apparently.

I wouldn’t be too unhappy with this for a loan. Can’t see him scoring freely, but he’d be a physical presence up front.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Could be a decent short term option and for sentimental reasons I would be happy to see him back even if he is getting on. His experience would also be welcomed to help our newer players. Rather him over Jerome that's for sure. He's a model professional so I'd imagine he's looked after himself pretty well and he wouldn't be asked to do that much running, we have Harrison and Jackson for that!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:39 pm

I have to say with the news of Tilt almost certainly not happening and the possible return of walters & Graham I am completely underwhelmed and a little bit concerned. I have been more than happy with how things are going (results aside) but have also made it clear we needed the injured returning and Three good loans, especially CB & Striker, as yet I feel we are falling well short.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:23 pm

K L Blue wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:15 pm
This has just popped up on my feed on FB, but I actually found a link verifying it!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... ker-jerome
This tw*t has come out and said if he played for Ipswich it would ruin all his good memories with the scum. Just for the record Jerome if you played for Ipswich you would ruin all my good memories as well . So Jerome just incase that is not clear enough f*ck off you ex scum c*ck no Ipswich fan wants you here anyway you deluded self centred pr*ck.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:28 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:12 pm
Bluemike wrote:
No thanks !!! Totally underwhelmed by it. We need 3 good loans and we get Jordan f**king Graham and possibly Jerome FFS
think your actually wrong there Mike, (well there's got to be a first ) Graham was a class at the Wolves until he was injured and he is nearly back to form, would do a great job for you.

I agree G&B if Graham can stay fit he will be a great asset. Oh by the way Mike has been wrong just recently he said Hurst was the best man for the job. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Are you saying you have given up on Hurst after a massive Five games ? I am not wrong at all, he was and is far and away the best man for the job.

And Derick, I would love nothing more than to be wrong over Jordan Graham, I will be as happy as anyone.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:25 pm

I have no problem with what Jerome has said. If this was an ex ipswich player we would say fair play, playing for us meant something. I kind of respect him for his decision. Add to that I wouldn't want him anyway as I'm not convinced he is up to it at this level now and I really couldn't care less.

I know Walters wouldn't exactly get the pulse racing but I think short term he could be good for us and then re-evaluate in Jan/end of season.

Also regarding Hurst I think we should and have to stick with him. Even if the worst happened and we got relegated (I don't think we will) we should stock with him as would be pointless to change again. We have to buy into a new long term project. I think he's the best man for us, not an easy job though

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:56 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:12 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Regardless of how good he is we need to score goals and keep them out and a winger is not what we need.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:40 pm
Are you saying you have given up on Hurst after a massive Five games ? I am not wrong at all, he was and is far and away the best man for the job.

And Derick, I would love nothing more than to be wrong over Jordan Graham, I will be as happy as anyone.
Honestly, I cant give up on somebody I never wanted in the first place!! My first choice was Jack Ross. As you have said over Jordan Graham, "I hope I'm wrong".

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 am

Judging by Wolves fans reaction, Graham seems to be highly regarded.

Could be an opportunity to put his career back on track OR this loan could be the next stage in his career sliding down the leagues.

If it’s his attitude as well as injuries which has held him up, then he should see this as maybe as his last chance saloon playing at a decent level. Great opportunity for him because we need a genuine winger.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:06 am

I hope the Wolves fans are correct then, I am still far more concerned about CB and Striker in truth.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:17 am

At least we’re looking at players with Championship experience and that’s what is needed in this league and in my opinion we need at least three of them urgently. If we stick with what we’ve got I fear for the worst and we only have until 5pm tomorrow to get it sorted.

I just hate these last minute panics which makes it far to easy to make desperate mistakes.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:01 am

My concern is both Graham and Walters (if he signs) have played very little first team football for a considerable time due to injuries.
We already have several players in a similar situation and for me we are taking a risk in adding more to our squad.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:53 am

Exactly my concerns Shed, they are not what is needed.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:05 am

Maybe.... but who’s available in our budget? I can’t help feel we don’t have too many options.

I would have thought there’s a few quid left after our sales, but ME doesn’t seem to want to part with too much cash.

This stupid waste of time with Tilt over 2 months. I wonder how much in the end we were squabbling over.. the final 100k, 200k ? We should have done the business early OR walked away for good.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:02 am

Somewhat ignorant on Jon Walters career at Stoke...... but, like Daryl Murphy, could be an “elderly” one season wonder? I like the idea of Walters getting some minutes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 am

For me, there is absolutely no weight at all behind any possible future Hurst & Ross debates. Ross chose to go to the largest club in League One which is a massive step down from the Championship. Could say that Hurst took relegation favourites to a League One Play-off final. I’d say that is more of an achievement than Ross potentially winning the league ——-> that is exactly Sunderland’s season objective. Anything less is a failure.

Don’t think I’ve ever wanted a manager to succeed more than I feel about Hurst right now. That includes Butcher at Hibs. In my book, Hurst will be given until Xmas. Still f**king around in the relegation zone, then it’ll be time for a rethinks me thinks!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:36 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 am
For me, there is absolutely no weight at all behind any possible future Hurst & Ross debates. Ross chose to go to the largest club in League One which is a massive step down from the Championship. Could say that Hurst took relegation favourites to a League One Play-off final. I’d say that is more of an achievement than Ross potentially winning the league ——-> that is exactly Sunderland’s season objective. Anything less is a failure.

Don’t think I’ve ever wanted a manager to succeed more than I feel about Hurst right now. That includes Butcher at Hibs. In my book, Hurst will be given until Xmas. Still f**king around in the relegation zone, then it’ll be time for a rethinks me thinks!
Im not sure about the Christmas thing (unless Hurst decided himself he was out of his depth which I don't believe he would). For me we have to stick with this however bumpy the road gets. Even IF we got relegated I would stick with Hurst who done a great job in League 1 with a much smaller club than Ipswich. I honestly think we will end up lower mid table this season in the end but I just feel we have made a big step in bringing Hurst in, I cannot see Evans backing out of this, if he decided to make a change he would have to pay Hurst off and bring in a new man who would likely want new players and we start again. Many of these new players are on 3 year contracts, we just have to ride it out. I echo what you say about wanting Hurst to succeed, I think based on his past in other leagues eventually he will, theres no getting away from the fact that we are bottom right now, but we have not been outplayed too much and we have looked a half decent team in patches. QPR on the other hand have looked absolutely awful for 90% of the time and have been thrashed on a few occasions but are above us as they picked up 1 win. But I would rather be us than QPR right now (or Reading). Its tough not to take notice of the league table, we all do, but I just hope we put a little run of results together then everyone can calm down a bit. I do understand why many are nervous, that's natural

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:46 am

Yep, agree with all of that. When I say (a fan from afar) time for a rethink......, I essentially mean the fans could potentially be unbearable and the atmosphere turning toxic, again.

For the record...... my displeasure in Butcher was that he was blatantly absolute Shyte and he himself with his baffling signings, team selections and formations, helped Hibs along the relegation path. Only a select few backed him but they were the people who argued for arguments sake and were probably Hearts supporters if the truth were known.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:14 pm

If it was a fit Jon Walters I’d snap anyone’s hand off to have him back at Portman Road for the rest of the season, but only four games in more than a year, a 35th Birthday next month and a recurring knee injury makes it high risk and potentially expensive.

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:14 pm

At 11:40am Jon Walters was passing Newmarket.GET IN.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:32 pm

I must admit I dont feel as negative as I did yesterday, I just think my expectations were a little higher but I felt that way about Edun and he has been a revelation so fingers crossed.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:34 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:14 pm
If it was a fit Jon Walters I’d snap anyone’s hand off to have him back at Portman Road for the rest of the season, but only four games in more than a year, a 35th Birthday next month and a recurring knee injury makes it high risk and potentially expensive.
I imagine we wont be paying him much, even in wages. Not sure what he is on at Burnley but can only believe we will be paying a small percentage of it. Like you for a fit Walters id take him in a heartbeat. His injury record in last couple of years is definitely a concern but if we can get him out on the pitch he will be valuable for us, he has a fantastic attitude, a model pro and has some much needed experience. Certainly a gamble but based on who else is out there perhaps one worth taking.

Maybe my view is biased, he was my favorite player in his first spell here, I am chuffed he will be coming back. If he can score the winner on Sunday just imagine the scenes!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:32 pm
I must admit I dont feel as negative as I did yesterday, I just think my expectations were a little higher but I felt that way about Edun and he has been a revelation so fingers crossed.
being realistic who would you expect us to try and get? I tried racking my brain and I couldn't think of many, not experienced ones anyway. We have got a couple of raw strikers in from lower leagues, we could do with 1 with a bit more experience to supplement that. Jerome fits that bill but id prefer Walters over him. Other than that I struggle to think of many options, ones that other clubs would allow to leave.

Im sure there are others, just I couldn't really think of many

For Graham im not sure, certainly Wolves fans rate him and on his day he can be one of the best in this league according to them, but we will find out if that really is the case, I hope it is!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:12 pm

https://www.footballinsider247.com/reve ... rard-blow/ Gareth McCauley is coming home to? :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Now that I do like Derick !!!!!

Charlton....how about Chris Martin?

QPR picked up 2 pretty good strikers too, plenty out there, and fit ones at that

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Think I'd take Walters over Martin. Chris Martin has a terrible attitude. Thoroughly dislikable bloke, I'd prefer Jerome to him.

I can see the logic with Mcauley. He would be a signing on a short term contract meaning he wouldn't be a loan and so we wouldn't be playing juggling games with the squad based on how many loans we have.

I take the point about QPR. No idea what the wages are on these players and whether they would have been possible or not. We will never know I guess