Four released

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Four released

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Town have announced the release of keepers Michael Crowe and Nick Hayes, midfielder James Blanchfield and striker or midfielder Monty Patterson.

Crowe, 22, joined the Blues academy as a full-time scholar from Norwegian side IK Start in 2012 and has been on the bench for the first team on 47 occasions but without ever making his senior debut.

Capped by Wales at U19 and U21 levels, Crowe was recently called into the senior squad for the first time by new manager Ryan Giggs without making his full international bow, but was left out of the squad announced yesterday.

Clacton-based Hayes, 19, who won three England caps at U17 level, has featured for the Blues U23s this season but has not been involved with the senior squad, while Town recently took up the option on fellow young keeper Harry Wright’s contract.

Southend-born Blanchfield, 20, who joined the academy from Arsenal in 2014, has had an injury-hit season and has also been unable to break into the Blues first team. A brief spell on loan at Aldershot after Christmas was curtailed by a knock, the midfielder having made only one sub appearance for the Shots.

New Zealand international Patterson joined Wellington Phoenix in his home country on loan in January with his summer release expected to follow.

The 21-year-old made one senior sub appearance for Town, in the Carabao Cup tie at Crystal Palace in August.
I am really surprised about Crowe TBH, while Patterson too was being touted as someone to watch out for. It is going to be a big big close season with many changes, Webster gone and now Andy Liddell too but the big question is just who is making these decisions on players ?

Tangfastic

Re: Four released

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 18, 2018 7:45 am

Surprised about Crowe as I thought he was being groomed as the successor to Bart or taking over as the backup keeper from Gerken. Him getting into the senior Wales squad gave the impression he had a lot of potential, especially since he’s 22 and GK’s tend to peak around 30.

I’m assuming it’s Klug who’s giving feedback to ME or maybe Mick left a list for ME to deal with, regarding who gets contracts and who gets the chop.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 18, 2018 9:01 am

I guess with releases the decisions are best made early to give the players the best chance of finding a new club.
I doubt the new manager will mind too much if he has a few ready made vacancies.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri May 18, 2018 1:35 pm

MM might have had input, prior to departing. - would imagine all playing staff remain under continuous assessment between all coaching staff.

Noteworthy is that whilst young Crowe is being let go, Harry Wright, son of Richard, is being retained.

Have to assume that decisions on all 4 have been carefully considered - and decisions taken in the club’s best interests.

Presumably decisions in replacing departing back room staff will have to await arrival of new manager. Dave Bowman - a low profile, MM appointee - also due to leave. Expected to be reunited with MM, once he’s found employment. Doubt if his departure will be much noticed, or prove terminal. Perhaps, having something of a cull of both playing and support staff will provide an opportunity to freshen things up, with a new era on the near horizon.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri May 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Well no one would know them better than Brian Klug, so I'm sure they're going off his and MM opinion, the decisions were probably made a while ago while MM was still here.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sun May 20, 2018 2:02 pm

All the best for your futures lads.