“Know the club inside out”

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

“Know the club inside out”

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 am

It looks like nothing is likely to happen this week. By all accounts, it’s a two-horse race between Hurst and Ross.

In the meantime, after reading quite a number of comments from TWTD about the potential new manager I’m a little confused.

There’s quite a few who are keen on Burley/ Butcher and Mowbray and a reoccurring comment they make to back up their case is they “know the club inside out” . What the f*ck does that mean?

I’m betting they don’t know know the club inside out. These former players played for us in more successful times and in Burleys case managed us. That’s it. None of these names have worked under Marcus Evans or have been with the club for 15 years plus.

Sorry, this just stinks of harking back to former glories and the thinking that if you plant a former player in the building then some remarkable transformation will occur. I prefer to enjoy the nostalgia and memories, but leave it there in the past.

I’m backing a Hurst or a Ross type because they’ve proven they can improve the players and squeeze more out of them, even if it’s at a lower level. That’s one of my criticisms of MM... I don’t feel he believed in the players enough to be better footballers. Or even wanted to try. I’m hoping that a new manager is able to squeeze more out of the team, like Hurst or Ross have been doing. It could well go tits up, but I think they deserve their chance.

Im pretty sure Hurst or Ross don’t know the club inside out and that could be a good thing, because apart from the former glories there’s a real staleness and mediocrity lingering there and you’ll need ambition and new ideas to sweep that away. Not nostalgia.