Town Squad for 2018/19 Season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Town Squad for 2018/19 Season

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:30 pm

So with a new manager at the helm who will no doubt have his own ideas of the way forward and who he wants to keep or let go where does everyone think we need to change/strengthen? Here is the current squad as it stands, One or two areas do look weak and in the need of reinforcements while the Midfield area looks pretty solid in terms of numbers.

Goalkeepers :- Bialkowski, Gerken
U23 :- Wright

Defenders :- Knudsen, Chambers, Webster, Spence, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Cotter, Woolfenden
U23 :- Smith

Midfielders :- Bishop, Skuse, Adeyemi, Rowe, Ward, Downes, Nydam, Dozzell, Huws,
U23 :- Crowe, McKendry

Strikers :- Waghorn, Garner, Sears, McGoldrick
U23 :- Drinan, Folami, Morris, McLoughlin

This is how I see it.

Goalkeepers :- Much depends on if we keep hold of Bart, if we do it's as you were and we just need a Third choice keeper to come in, if however he moves on we will undoubtedly require another First choice Keeper to battle it out with Dean Gerken for the Number One jersey, the on loan at Shrewsbury Dean Henderson looks a very competent keeper and with the Hurst connection who knows.

Defenders :- I believe we need another experienced been there and done it CB to bring on the undoubted talent of Adam Webster who lost his way a little bit last season. Again much depends on how PH views the likes of Emmanuel, Spence & Kenlock, potentially we have Three RB's with Barry Cotter there too but are they good enough to push on ? Naturally we have been linked with Shrewsbury CB Aristote Nsiala and he is a player that impressed me, would not be adverse to PH poaching him from his former employers. I think we may need to look for a versatile Fullback who can play either side.

Midfielders :- This is an area where I think, injuries permitting, we need little in the way of strengthening, if we have a fully fit Huws, Adeyemi, Bishop and Dozzell we have some real talent already in the squad, Downes and Nydam offer the more defensive side of the game and will give Skuse competition for his place, not sure PH will need many more additions, Wide areas are where I think we definitely need another body in the house, Grant Ward & Danny Rowe offer the only real natural width and I am not sure Rowe will be here come August, with Celina gone we have to look to sign at least One wide player.

Strikers :- Assuming nobody tries to take Martyn Waghorn and assuming Didsy still departs I think we definitely need another first team Striker to keep Garner on his toes, will the change in manager see the rebirth under PH of Freddie Sears ? if he does stay and with the emerging talent of Ben Folami coming through one addition would see us up to Five strikers which is the recognised number needed, I can't see Didsy having a U turn on his decision, assuming he hasn't already gone.

I don't see many players being shipped out if I am honest so it is not a major rebuild facing the new gaffer, despite what some would have you believe we have a fair bit of quality when all fit and available so how does everyone else see it ? What areas would people like to see strengthened and who would you like to see shipped out or brought in ??

Ricco

Re: Town Squad for 2018/19 Season

Post by Ricco » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:29 am

Nicely summed up, it's not a terrible base to work with isn't it? There is real work to be done with that defence though, I can't remember a worse Town defence on paper in my lifetime, strangely enough I can't remember a worse defence before my lifetime either. It's a surprise with McCarthy being as he is, that the defence has been allowed to become so poor, 60 goals in a season is an embarrassment for Mr "clean sheet first, we might pinch a goal later" McCarthy. That's almost a clean slate to start with, work to be done.

Elsewhere we're in good shape, only a bit of backup depth for keepers and strikers if Hurst deems necessary. The real fascinating part will be what he does with that midfield, unless we have injury problems similar to last year, then that's a real smorgasbord of potential talent, returning talent, not played since 1998 because I'm always crocked talent.

I think Ward could shine under Hurst, McCarthy never seemed to back him and I think that showed in his confidence levels, who knows, maybe he can even help Freddie find his mojo. Huws is still very young and very talented, hopefully his injury problems have just been ridiculous bad luck, get Skuse in cotton wool, he could be the only one left walking by October looking at the rest of them.

Looking forward to it, I think it's a consolidation and new philosophy and direction season, plenty of potential there, but it is all a slight bit of a confused mess, maybe it was injuries, but the team was certainly a bit rudderless at times last season. I don't won't to over hype any of those youngsters, there's certainly no Cresswell level talent amongst them, many of them have been touted as the next big thing, but no need, just enjoy watching them progress, they're not going to be world beaters.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:17 am

Ricco are you forgetting when Joe Royale had drissa Diallo and George Santos playing CB together? They were awful, luckily we were good at attacking!

I think we have a decent enough squad, couple of additions here and there and I'll be happy. On my wish list is a new wide player, striker, CB and may be a prem standard loanee

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:37 am

You would like to think PH has some good inside knowledge regarding Town players already,but I guess he’s going to have to make quick judgements on the training pitch later this month and bend some ears eg Klug.

I wouldn’t be against Bart leaving for a good fee, as long as we get a decent replacement. Henderson’s a good shout if we could spend some of Barts transfer money on him.

The RB situations interesting. Spence at this stage in his career should have nailed down that position and he’s too inconsistent. I would have no problem him moving on, although he’s useful as a utility player. It’s too early to tell about Cotter although he’s looked promising. For me, Emanuell has to come back from an impressive loan and nail down that position - or we might as well sell him on ( Rotherham). He’s got a mistake in him, but which 20 year old hasn’t and you can always work on improving the defensive side of players than raw talent. The LB position will be interesting to see if Knudsen can keep ahead of Kenlock.
Would like to see Webster re-discover his past form and could benefit for a change in manager.

Midfield: on paper a lot of options and can’t see us doing much business there. If Hurst does bring in someone, we might have to sell or loan out some midfielders. Have serious doubts about Huys long-term fitness and I wouldn’t want to rely on his fitness to ‘build’ a team around.

Wide men: Agree with Ricco that Ward could be someone who comes of age under Hurst. His time here has never got fully going. Inconsistent, but has looked the real deal in short bursts. He’s my ‘shot in the dark’ shout of a player for next season who could prosper under new management. I think we’ll offload Rowe and we need to bring in a wide man.

Strikers: No offence to Garner, but I’m not a massive fan, especially in the role of target man/ irritating, play- acting, gobby front man. Gives absolutely evertything and willing to put his body on the line, but over the course of 46 games trying to win balls and out-muscle defenders far bigger than him isn’t the best strategy. His cracked skull tells a story. I would love to see a genuine target man brought in. I really like Waghorn - No 1. striker in the club above Garner, for me- but he’s not a target man. We’ll see how the young kids come through and Folami looks the best bet out of them to step up over Drinan and Morriss. Be great to get 1 or 2 of these young strikers a season long loan to a League 1 or League 2 side. It paid dividends for Emanuell and someone like Cotter could also benefit from a loan, rather than another season in the u-23’s.

For me, need another CB, wide man and striker... but a lot depends on who might be deemed surplus by PH ie players like Sears, Spence and who could want to leave ie Bart.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:03 am

Like you Tang I would be happy to see Bart move on for a decent fee as we will lose him for nothing this time next year, regarding Henderson it is even better as he is a "free agent" and will cost nothing, that could work against us too though as I suspect there will be plenty of interest in him, we may have a slight edge with Paul Hurst having been his boss at Shrewsbury Town.

I agree about Spence although I would be happy to keep him as a back up seeing as he is quite versatile, let's not forget his threat in oppositions boxes too, Four goals ain't bad. I have seen enough of Barry Cotter already to believe we have a potential little star at this level, I don't think he is there yet in terms of starting the season as the recognised RB but he will force his way through as the season progresses for sure, Emmanuel is an interesting one, and I suspect he may be given a chance to shine, Paul Warne certainly believes PH will want to keep hold of him !! It is at LB where I wonder if we are weak, Knudsen for me is a hopeless LB and better suited to a Back Three while Kenlock still has room to improve but is he the answer ?

The Midfield does indeed look well stocked and Emyr Huws has to get fit, hopefully he will as he is some player at this level, the box to box creativity we craved for so long, I also believe Flynn Downes is goping to be a real star in the future and his loan spell will have done wonders for him, expect him to be pushing for the first team this time. It is interesting that both Ricco and Tang see Grant Ward as a potential pivotal player as for me he has been the biggest disappointment at times and yet under Klug he showed real ability and the capability of actually beating his man and getting good delivery in to the box so it could just be you are right, we all seem to agree that Danny Rowe will be moving on and the need for another wide player is clear.

Up front is where we differ though, I think Joe Garner is a rwal asset to the team, yes he is bloody annoying but his work rate and willingness to put it about and mix it with big tough defenders should not be underestimated, that alone creates chances for teammates, I also lost count of how many times he mopped up in our box from set pieces etc, very hard working player, yes he could score more and under a new boss he may just do that, waggy is without doubt the main man up front but as you say is not a target man, I still think we need another striker to come in with Didsy departing and a question mark over Sears.

So we are not far away from agreeing on we think we need, for me a versatile LB/RB, at least One wide Midfielder, another Striker and possibly a CB.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:55 am

McGoldrick has gone Mike, so,we will need another striker for starters, maybe even two if Sears decides to move on too.

The defence is the main area for me as it was last season. We need IMO another CB, and ideally a Left Back and a Right back ( experienced, with the kids acting as back up for a couple of seasons). I’m not a fan of Knudsen at LB, and he can just about get away with LCB but there are better CB’s out there than him. I think he needs replacing in all honesty. The right back situation is one of players with experience but inconsistent and young, very good , but largely inexperienced players.

The midfield, just needs to stay bloody fit!

&

The GK’s need to stay!

Other than that Hurst has inhereited a squad well capable of staying inthe top 6 and doing very well this season. It’s just needed the right man at the helm. I think we finally have got our man!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:49 pm

charlton837 wrote:Ricco are you forgetting when Joe Royale had drissa Diallo and George Santos playing CB together? They were awful, luckily we were good at attacking!
Oh wow, you have a good point there. I had had a few beers last night :lol:

I've just had a look and we conceded 72 goals that year, the third highest goals against in the division and still finished in the playoffs, that is genuinely stunning, I can't remember it being quite like that!