Who will be Captain?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Who will be Captain?

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 am

Do you think Paul Hurst will appoint a new Captain or keep Chambers?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Who will be Captain?

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:24 am

Chambers 100% can't see that changing

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 am

derick_ipsw wrote:Do you think Paul Hurst will appoint a new Captain or keep Chambers?
Chambers and in my opinion it definitely should be him too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 am

Can’t see anyone else other than Chambers at the moment.

That could change if Chambers place in the team was not assured. In which case, Chambers could continue to be club captain, but we might need a new team captain. I think that was the situation with Bam Bam.

You’ve then got Skuse ( his place could be under threat) or Knudsen ( his place could be under threat).

I see Chambers as a leader, but I would only want him to be picked as a player first, captain second.

Other than that ... Bart, Webster ... or Waghorn.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Bart can't speak to his defence now so no chance there, I don't see Webster as a leader either. I think Chambo will be in possession for a while yet.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Chambo ..he’s Club captain.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:11 am

I am not so sure it is going to be Chambers, Hurst has stated he "Does not care what a player has done in the past its about now and the future". Everyone has got a clean slate, so maybe there will be a change?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:02 am

The only thing is beyond Skuse I don't see a credible alternative atm and the train of thought with many is that he won't be starting much either, although personally I think they will both be starters initially and then much depends on how they perform.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:55 am

Hurst may want to put his own stamp on things but I feel if he takes the captaincy away from Chambers that may belittle him considering how all the team/squad look up to him. It would be a dangerous tactic, im sure Hurst is thinking long term it could change but for this season leave it be, theres plenty of changes happening without causing unnecessary trouble.

And I really don't get why we would take it off him, what has he done wrong. I think hes been a great leader, on and off the pitch. You can argue perhaps hes not the best player (I still think he offers plenty) but im not sure I would question his leadership.

The only time it wouldn't be him is if Hurst was planning on not playing him this season regularly, but I don't see that happening

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:22 pm

I think Chambers is a super captain and with better around him a more than able CB. It is no surprise to me that the first person Chalobah mentioned in bringing him into the group etc was Indeed our captain which of course he should be doing but he does it without question.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:08 pm

More to the point, why would he/we want to change the captain.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Charnwood wrote:More to the point, why would he/we want to change the captain.
Because being Captain guaranteed him playing under MM which is wrong. He may be good captain but unfortunately he is not a good centre half. So if we get a better C/H then maybe someone else could be captain.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:26 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Because being Captain guaranteed him playing under MM which is wrong. He may be good captain but unfortunately he is not a good centre half. So if we get a better C/H then maybe someone else could be captain.
Being captain doesn’t normally guarantee selection and there are numerous examples of this.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:37 am

Charnwood wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
Being captain doesn’t normally guarantee selection and there are numerous examples of this.

Are you honestly saying that MM picked Chambers on his football ability alone? The only reason Chambers played every game even when we had a better right back or centre half available, was purely down to the fact he was captain.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:28 am

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Are you honestly saying that MM picked Chambers on his football ability alone? The only reason Chambers played every game even when we had a better right back or centre half available, was purely down to the fact he was captain.

I’m not saying that at all Derek. What I am saying is that the club captain doesn’t have to be an automatic pick and in many football clubs isn’t. The best example close to home for me is Wes Morgan at Leicester City.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:37 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/hurst-says- ... -1-5585880 Thank f*ck for that?
well that definitely marks the end of the line for Skuse then - the only thing he's ever proved to me is that he's fúcking useless, and I'm sure Paul Hurst will see it the same way

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:19 am

I cant help but feel this witch hunt against Chambers and Skuse is just an extension of peoples feelings against MM. Sure they are not the best players in the league but I felt they were 2 of our better players last season. Chambers has been a great leader in a tough time, Skuse was playing really well in the latter part of last season and goals aside I think he has done a good job for us. Even under Hurst we are going to need some security in that midfield and some experience, im not sure we have seen the last of Chambers or Skuse.

However IF Hurst does decide to make those changes then fair enough, but lets at least be respectful for what they have both given to us, I just feel we are being a bit unfair on them to be honest

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Exactly my feelings, well said, its a bit tedious and boring now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:05 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Or to put it another way, a manager normally gives the captaincy to the ever present, first name pencilled player. I’m not so sure Chambers is that now. However he could be Club captain and not necessarily be a dead cert starter !

And with ref to Skuse, I’m looking forward to seeing how Hurst plays him. I think he as under utilised under McCarthy.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:35 pm

I feel like the captain is a bit of a redundant role anyway. Chambers is a natural leader and I can't see how stripping him of the captaincy would make him act any differently in the dressing room or out on the pitch.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:02 pm

Was never in doubt.
Blues boss Paul Hurst has confirmed that Luke Chambers will continue as his skipper during the season ahead.

“Luke’s captain whenever he’s in the team,” Hurst said at today’s Open Day. “If he’s not in the team he’ll still be a big voice around the place.

“At the minute he’s probably one of the names, touch wood, guaranteed to be in that starting line-up because, he’s done well anyway in fairness to him, but he hasn’t got too much competition at this moment in time.”

Hurst says he has seen the leadership qualities of the central defender who initially wore the armband under Paul Jewell and then Mick McCarthy.

“I think in the pre-season games where are there aren’t as many fans and it’s quiet, you can probably get a better sense of that than you sometimes do when you’re playing in front of 20,000 or whatever it is,” he added. “A lot of those messages get lost.

“He’s a big presence at the football club and you need people like that. Whether they’re always the most vocal, sometimes they’re quiet ones that do the work that as a manager you could miss if you didn’t speak to people and understand what’s going on in the dressing room and around the training ground. So, hopefully he’s enjoying it, a new start, a new challenge for him as well.”

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Was never in doubt.
Blues boss Paul Hurst has confirmed that Luke Chambers will continue as his skipper during the season ahead.

“Luke’s captain whenever he’s in the team,” Hurst said at today’s Open Day. “If he’s not in the team he’ll still be a big voice around the place.

“At the minute he’s probably one of the names, touch wood, guaranteed to be in that starting line-up because, he’s done well anyway in fairness to him, but he hasn’t got too much competition at this moment in time.”

Hurst says he has seen the leadership qualities of the central defender who initially wore the armband under Paul Jewell and then Mick McCarthy.

“I think in the pre-season games where are there aren’t as many fans and it’s quiet, you can probably get a better sense of that than you sometimes do when you’re playing in front of 20,000 or whatever it is,” he added. “A lot of those messages get lost.

“He’s a big presence at the football club and you need people like that. Whether they’re always the most vocal, sometimes they’re quiet ones that do the work that as a manager you could miss if you didn’t speak to people and understand what’s going on in the dressing room and around the training ground. So, hopefully he’s enjoying it, a new start, a new challenge for him as well.”
He absolutely should be captain. His captaincy and leadership brings as much as Barts saves and Waggys goals.