Ben Knight

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Ben Knight

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:23 am

If people are upset at losing Adam Webster they should be crying into their cornflakes this morning at this news !! This is the lad we were talking about some time back as being something really special coming through the academy, Klug thinks he's the best he has ever worked with which speaks volumes while Keiron Dyer's thoughts are there for all to see. Clearly there is little we as a club can do and a Million while on the face of it seems ok for a kid who may disappear into oblivion I can't help but think we are being robbed of someone who one day could be worth Millions, not to mention having him here for a few years developing. I think it is a shame that he has not been schooled by his family better as for me moving to City so soon is ridiculous and possibly hampers his chances of "making it", if it was my son he would be staying put for a good while yet, if he is as good as he is reputed to be the big move would still be forthcoming, time will tell but I will follow this one with great interest. Not happy at all.

Blues academy youngster Ben Knight, viewed as the most promising prospect currently at Playford Road, is set to join Manchester City’s youth set-up in a deal we understand to be worth just over £1 million.

theAcademyBlog reported earlier this evening that Knight had signed for the Premier League side today, however, we understand that while the move is expected to go through, it’s yet to be confirmed.

England U16 international Knight 16, who was due to start his two-year scholarship at Playford Road next month, is widely believed to be the player Bryan Klug was referring to when talking about "potentially the best player he has worked with" being at the club at the Supporters Club AGM last year.

Academy coach Kieron Dyer once compared the diminutive youngster’s style of play to Argentine star Lionel Messi.

Manchester City and all the top Premier League clubs have been eyeing Knight for some years and were reported to be planning to make a move back in November 2016. Up until now, with Knight having agreed a long-term deal, the Blues had been able to rebuff that interest.

Earlier that year, Town lost striker Charlie Brown to Chelsea for compensation of around £650,000.

At the time, former Blues manager Mick McCarthy admitted that it’s difficult for the likes of Town to hold on to youngsters if big Premier League clubs come in for them and the player wants to go.

“It’s always frustrating to lose them at whatever age,” he said. “At whatever stage they’re at you don’t want to lose them.

“It’s just one of those things, you can’t do anything about it. You have to just make the best deal you can.”

theAcademyBlog also reports that Arsenal are interested in another Town youngster, 15-year-old Canadian youngster Marcelo Flores, which we understand is also the case.

Flores, whose father Ruben is a coach at Playford Road, was spotted by veteran coach Steve Foley at a training camp in the Cayman Islands in 2014.

Ricco

Re: Ben Knight

Post by Ricco » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:58 am

Yes, that's even more disappointing.

Can't help but think this is the board rubbing their hands at the sight of money and ignoring all else, not sure Klug or Hurst would be biting their hands off, perhaps it's unfair to stand in the kid's way if that's what he wants to do.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:05 am

Do we potentially benefit from sell on clauses or are they excluded pre the player reaching of professional contract age ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:26 am

I have no problem with this if the money gets re-invested.

If it’s gets put into Hurst’s warchest - then fine. If it’s put back into the academy whereby it helps pay for 5-6 youngsters getting close to the first team in the next few years - then fine.

This kid would not have been close to first team football for a while. Who knows if he can adapt to the harsh environment of senior football or stay injury-free. It actually seems like easy money. I’m not sure how many of our first team squad could actually generate over a million if sold.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:34 pm

Not close to first team football?? How old was dozzell when he made his debut?? Shame the powers that be at portman road dont try harder to hang on to these youngsters.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 am

I bet they've tried everything ITNO1, unfortunately it is 100% out of the club's hands in these situations.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:19 am

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:Not close to first team football?? How old was dozzell when he made his debut?? Shame the powers that be at portman road dont try harder to hang on to these youngsters.
How many games as Knight played for the under 23’s ?
I don’t think he’s even played for the u-23’s yet. Dozzell may be used as an example as he made his debut over 2 years ago and we’re still waiting on him to perform consistently week in, week out. I know he’s had the year long injury, but that just shows how cruel and unpredictable football is. Knight could pick up an injury or never realise his potential. There’s been so many wunderkids who never make it.

It’s not the club who’s at fault... it’s the system that allows big clubs to tap up youngsters. We can’t do anything, but try and get as much money as we can. However, I’d rather we sell this kid for 1 million and hopefully that could be re-invested in the academy so we get more youngsters nearer the first team. TBH.... most of us would not have heard of Ben Knight a week ago. I’ve never heard his name mentioned anywhere as the next kid ready to force his way into the first team.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:48 am

You've never heard his name ? Really ? I'm surprised

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:27 am

Bluemike wrote:You've never heard his name ? Really ? I'm surprised
I’ve heard his name in the past... he won some best tournament player award in Ireland a year or two ago. But I’ve never heard anyone mention that this kid was going to break into the first team next year. Or that he was tearing it up for the u-23’s. TBH ... I take these things with a pinch of salt when they’re playing at that age group.

Every year we hear of one kid who’s the next best thing.... and then 2 or 3 years later they’re released. I’d rather get excited about the Dozzells, Nydams, Downes, Folamis, Morriss who are on the verge of the first team

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:41 am

I get what you are saying and to a point I agree, however things being said about this lad appear to take him to another level, I mean Man City, Barcelona and Spurs to name but Three all courting his signature, thats some interest and Klug knows a player too so to consider this kid the best he's ever worked with is some statement. It's going to be really interesting to see how he progresses, I can't help but think we may have been robbed of a potential superstar, not to mention mega millions.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:28 pm

It doesn't really fall in line with ME's youth development plan. I wonder how Klug feels about this...has anyone seen any quotes from Klug? Of course, a million is a lot of money for an unproven player. Jordan Rhodes hasn't really turned out to be a Premiere League superstar after all. :astroll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:20 pm

No point in Klug being upset as ME had zero option in this, totally out of his hands, apparently the club are going to issue a statement on the subject such is their disappointment at the outcome.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Not suprised in the least and throughly expect this to be the future of our and many other clubs. The likes of City United are Chelski will as they have already been doing trawling all the top promising players. A season or two back Chelski had seventy yes 70 youth players home and abroad. In the championship and the Dutch Belgium Danish Bundesliga etc etc. The big clubs are largely all doing the same thing.