Waghorn to Derby - confirmed

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AylesburyBlue

Waghorn to Derby - confirmed

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 am

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... ll+Feed%29

If he moves on im having £10 on relegation
Last edited by AylesburyBlue on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Sheff Utd 5million Waghorn bid

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:08 am

This would p*ss me off big time tbh, everyone has a price but f*ck me without him we have no goals in us, the club supposedly want 7 Million for Waggy so I can see some kind of compromise happening here and him going. PH was on the radio this morning saying he cannot guarantee Waghorn will be here on the opening day. Feel totally deflated at this news, one step forward, Three back.

AylesburyBlue

Re: 5million Waghorn bid?

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 am

They sell David a brooks for 12million then get Waghorn for 5? That would be a joke. Brooks is a half decent youngster but no way he is worth over 2x Waghorn?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:35 am

If we do decide to sell I think the minimum we should be asking for is 7 million + add ons.
My concern is if he goes we end up with another Murphy situation, panicking and getting in a Leon Best type of player again.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 am

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... aghorn-bid

TWTD caught up and now reporting the story also.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:06 am

:twisted: NOT good news.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:20 am

Let's not get excited yet. The club rejected half decent bids for Bailkowsky, why wouldn't they do the same for Waggers?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:45 am

Would much rather have sold Bart than Waghorn

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:02 pm

f*ck it, call me a glory supporter, but we've all sat through enough sh*t for the last 15 years, if this happens, then I'm gone until we have something to cheer about again. With the weakness of the squad, this would be suicide. Webster and Waghorn gone, they were the only players at the cub I rated above average and would turn up to see.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:10 pm

The only thing I’d say, (which I think Mike had said months ago re Hurst) ......, he took a side tipped for relegation to a play off final. Maybe he has other ideas and Waghorn possibly leaving may not be bothering him.

Definitely creating a potential problem before attempting to make his mark though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm

I think PH has said he wants Waghorn at the club but this will come down to ME and what he decides, I can't see a bid of Six Million plus being turned down personally. As pissed off as I would be much depends on his replacement and a 3 or 4 million pound purchase at least would be a must !!! Hopefully Waggy will say he wants to stay !!! As for Webster Ricco, I couldn't care less tbh.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Depends on what Waghorn himself wants.

If he wants to stay then I think that even a £7M offer for him would be rejected.

If he wants to go, then I say take the £5M for him now - no point having a player who does not want to be here

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm
As for Webster Ricco, I couldn't care less tbh.
For how he'd been playing, then we got a great deal, but I enjoy seeing players progress and grow with the club and he still has shedloads of potential.

I enjoy a team being slowly grown and built, having a core and a personality, I don't enjoy selling all players worth something every summer, replacing them with largely risky cheap bums and declaring it a great financial success. Fair enough Hurst wants a bit of money in because he wants to shape the team and get some players in, but Waghorn is fairly untouchable in my opinion. He did say after Webster's sale that he has a say in it and he wouldn't be here if he didn't, so that either means he'll have a falling out and be sacked by the end of January, or we actually have someone with half a brain in at least part in charge of the purse strings.

Paul, if you're reading this, then be careful! You may be promised to get a large chunk of that £7m to spend, but the club in my eyes have constantly failed on such promises and are very good at being beaten by other clubs to sign players, you may sell your best players and be given nothing but a relegation level squad in return

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:15 pm

From what I heard on the radio I got the impression that like the majority of us supporters PH would love MW to be here next season and very much sees him as part of his plans.
However, as we know once other clubs start to show an interest and if they can offer higher wages a player can soon become unsettled. If this happens and MW decides he would like to move on then it is imperative that we get the best deal we can for him and that Evans reinvests this money back into rebuilding the squad.
As PH has already stated there are areas of the squad which he feels needs changing and a sizeable transfer fee for Waghorn could help him to do this if Evans allows the money from the sale of Waghorn to go into the transfer kitty.
From his past record it seems that at both Shrewsbury and Grimsby PH made significant changes to the squads soon after his arrival and it could turn out that something similar is going to happen at ITFC.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:07 pm
......You may be promised to get a large chunk of that £7m to spend, but the club in my eyes have constantly failed on such promises........
Here is the unfortunate equation:

Roy Keane minus Connor Wickham minus Jordan Rhodes plus Tampon Arseskin equals “yer gettin fk all cash tae spend.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Let's not kid ourselves Waghorn would not be irreplaceable IF ME were to make funds available, history tells us there in lies the problem.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Mike
I might be wrong but I have a feeling that if Evans continues to follow his previous policy of selling a player for a considerable profit and not making those funds available for new players then our current manager might not be at ITFC for too long.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:29 pm

I agree Shed, I have no doubt PH will have a say in things but as we know every player has his price, not just at Ipswich Town so if the valuation is met he could well go, I think we all have to realise that, I won't be happy but as yet we don't know if it is even going to happen and more importantly if it does happen who we sign as a replacement, we already wanted One striker so we would then be looking for Two and we may be pleasantly surprised.

If a players head is turned and they want away then there is little point in them staying anyway, that is the sad reality of the game these days, personally I think Waggy will be staying, kiss of death.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Waghorn was an astute signing by our former manager but now they may unload him. Someone said he saved a club from relegation in Div 1 hopefully he is not keen on that division that he would rather be a manager in it with Ipswich Town.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 pm

I don't wanna lose Waggy, but in all honesty you have to take the money. 5-million is a lot of money for a club like ours. Also, I think Hurst has a much keener eye than the MM team did when it comes to bargain-buys.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 am

Seems like Sheffield Utd have refused to pay between 8-10m.

A little bit of relief although other clubs will keep sniffing. There is no way we can afford to lose our main goalscorer. We all remember how detrimental Murphy's departure turned out to be.

To make even more depressing that would be feeding our divisional rivals (if we sold him). Premier League yes I'd understand it but no way would I accept departure to a Championship club.

Even if it is 10m the answer ought to be : NO !!! That's because Hurst won't see that money to re-invest. He'd get pennies from our horribly, stingy owner to find a cheap replacement.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:40 am

Spoke perhaps too soon as Sheffield Utd aren't giving up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am

I wish we could send out a message that we’ll listen to creditable bids... until a certain deadline ... like 7-10 days before the transfer window closes. And stick to it. I don’t want Waghorn to go, but my biggest concern is a last-minute transfer with no time to get a replacement. We actually need to start bringing some players in rather than spending too much time on the potential sale of our best players.

No panic yet, but I thought we would have a few more players signed by now... and maybe a couple of deadwood players shipped out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Me too but the bloody world cup hasnt helped.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Hope to god there's nothing in this. He's a must keep player in my eyes, and we haven't got many of those types players at the moment.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:02 pm

This Waghorn thing doesn’t seem to be dying. I kind of expect this to happen.

Waghorn could actually stop this in one full swoop by stating he wants to stay. He must be tempted ... or he’s negotiating a better contract here.

It looks as if we’re likely to sign Ellis Harrison of Bristol Rovers. I’d be happy with that, but not as a replacement for Waghorn.

I think a busy week of incoming and ougoing players could be about to happen.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Players are mercenaries, they'll sell out to a higher bidder or take off elsewhere to someone who can provide a better service, sure he's a useful player but if got an eye on furthering a career elsewhere then chances are he'll be away.

Maybe we've been too dependant on the one player, other attacking areas haven't been as productive as they should or could have been : but if or when the time comes to sell, would hold out for something between 8 - 10 million for the player. Yes it's Championship level but this is perhaps the toughest league out of all available UK divisions and Waghorn has kind of settled in and proved a useful addition to the squad.

It's up to Evans, Hurst and the player concerned to sit aside and thrash out a deal or what's best for the club. Would hope he stays on the payroll but if has his mind set on elsewhere or wishes a different challenge then prepared to allow his departure. There's a number of useful forwards and attacking options at similar level to where we are that can or will be available, may as well keep a look out for potential replacements.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:11 pm

McGoldrick going to the blades? Nothing new there. He's always under the blade. Busy season ahead for the Sheffield United medical staff.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Is that the same sh*t Norwich City that finished below us by any chance?

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:36 pm

[quote=BigJonnyGash post_id=944333 time=1532375608 user_id=56799]
U stupid nobheads, Waghorn is signing for Blades and so is McGoldrick and ur shitty club is going down to League 1.
Ur fuckin sh*t, ur fuckin sh*t
Ur fuckin sh*t, ur fuckin sh*t

Ur just a sh*t Norwich City, sh*t Norwich City
Ur just a sh*t Norwich City, sh*t Norwich City
[/quote]

Very adult. Just what this forum needs!