Waghorn to Derby - confirmed

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: 5million Waghorn bid?

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:03 pm

If only he wasn't 33, a couple of years back Nugent would have been a fab option.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Chris Martin, there is another part ex option. :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:05 pm

The highlighted bit is bloody interesting, I am totally convinced now that it is Waghorn wanting to leave.

Finally, Chambers addressed the possibility of Town losing the services of last season’s 16-goal leading scorer, Martyn Waghorn, whose future is up in the air as Derby and Middlesbrough head a queue of several Championship clubs eager to sign him ahead of next week’s opening day of the new season.

Asked if the club can afford to lose Waghorn, who only arrived in August last year from Rangers, he said: “It depends what you mean by afford. If we’re paying 200 grand for him and potentially selling him for £8 million that’s the owner’s business and I’m sure he’s going to look at that.

“On the field-wise, no, I don’t think we should be looking to sell anyone like that.

“If we’re looking to achieve what we want to achieve, and go somewhere, you’ve got to keep your best players and it’s no secret that he’s one of our best players.

“But in football heads can be turned pretty easily and there’s probably a story behind it all anyway. For me, personally, I don’t want him to leave and I hope he doesn’t. But on the flip side of the coin the money we’re talking about might force his mind to be changed.

“I don’t really want to talk to him about it and even if I did, and he said something to me, it would be completely in confidence.

“He’s become a good friend of mine over the last year and he’s the sort of guy you want in the team and around your football club. Even if he does want to leave I don’t want to hear it.”

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:03 pm

The fact that he did not feature today do you think that's him leaving?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Yes I think it's nailed on although maybe Boro and not Derby.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:28 pm

What a f**king disappointment it would be to lose Waghorn, so much for how much he said he liked playing for us, maybe he meant playing for Mick McCarthy.

This feels even worse than when we lost Daryl Murphy to Newcastle United.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:42 am

I’m sick of the Waghorn saga. I just want this closed out now.

Based on the style of play yesterday - would Waghorn suit the style? Harrison seemed to fit in perfectly... making runs into space and hassling defenders on the floor. At the moment, 8 million for a 250k buy with 10 days of the transfer window left doesn’t seem so bad. Far better than offloading Murphy and getting Leon Best in with a day to spare.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:16 am

I agree Tang, Harrison led the line so well, put himself about, had some nice touches, got his goal, hit the post and literally ran his socks off, don't get me wrong I am not suddenly going to turn on Waggy as I love the guy and want him here in an ideal scenario but the fact is that he doen't want to be here, for me that is obvious or he would have put all the doubt to bed and said I am not going anywhere, especially after ME & PH both said they didn't want to lose him. We will really need another striker to replace him and we need Garner fit, I think Garner & Harrison could work very well but they need support, Sears will do a job but not the real answer for me.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 am

It looks more and more likely that Waggy will be heading back to his north east roots following Middlesbroughs sale of Patrick Bamford to Leeds United for £10m which completed yesterday.

At the very least lets hope we can bag £8m of that and hopefully not have to pass any on to Rangers who must be kicking themselves.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:28 am

How would we avoid paying Rangers their share Charnwood?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:34 pm

It all depends on whether or not Rangerd bothered to include a sell on clause in the sale contract. These clauses are usually reserved for deals that involve a young player with known potential and expected significant increases in value, given their low valuation of Waggy they may well have not bothered.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:59 pm

I thought Rangers have a 10% sell on clause?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:32 pm

They do

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 am

Middlesbrough look to have won the race to sign Blues striker Martyn Waghorn with Town reported to have accepted a bid from the Teessiders. TWTD was first to reveal that Boro were chasing the 28-year-old at the end of June.

According to Sky Sports, Middlesbrough had their offer accepted this morning and talks are now under way with last season’s 16-goal top scorer and they hope to get the deal done prior to Tuesday night’s match against Sheffield United.

Speaking last night, manager Paul Hurst admitted Town would have to accept a fee slightly below their valuation which suggests the offer is somewhere around the £6 million mark up front plus further top-ups.

Previously offers of an initial £5 million from Derby and a bid slightly below that from Sheffield United had been rebuffed.

The move will see South Shields-born Waghorn return to his native North-East and almost certainly double his wages.

Be glad when it's final, 6 Million up front plus add ons is good business to be fair and allows us to bring in replacements.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:54 am

Really hope this is tied up now. Bye Waggy. At least hes got his parents on hand to help with the move.

Decent business for us as we bought him for 250K.

At least yesterday we saw that we need to bring in decent players to strengthen the squad... I hope Evans was watching and he’s got Hurst in his ear to spend the Waggy cash. Hopefully, a busy week ahead in the transfer market.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:42 pm

If it’s true that Waggy has doubled his wages moving to Middlesbrough then we’re going to struggle hanging onto any of our players who come up trumps and perform well consistently.

It was interesting to see in one of last weeks newspapers that 4 of the 10 players identified to watch in this seasons Championship were ex Town players, I think there were;

Martin Waghorn, Jack Marriott, Adam Webster and David McGoldrick, I think I’ve seen a Jordon Rhodes name mentioned as well in similar context, no wonder were so often referred to as a “selling club”.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:12 am

I just worry about forward options once this deal goes through. McGoldrick leaving was no sweat, became something of a liability towards the end, but you got names like Sears and Garner who are nowhere near reliable enough, and other players you could label unrecognized (by those who don't watch games frequent) such as Harrison and possibly Dozzell and Ward if they were ever utilized in an attacking capacity.

The Waghorn valuations differ from hour to hour. One moment I got 8 million, then it's six, then something lower. This is our best source of goals for pity's sake, if we're prepared to sell off our #1 attacker, then I'd be prepared to hold out for a transfer fee fitting to fill his void. Can see why he is about to depart, gets an offer of an improved salary with another club, one that has a better opportunity to do something in the eventual promotion run also. For the last time don't allow him to go on something of a derisory offer.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:22 am

Thing is Saint if we don't move this guy on then we won't have the funds to buy anyone, we have to do what is best for the club and if that is taking a bit lower then so be it, I think to get say 5 Million with some add ons is a damn good bit of business for a guy that cost 250k and who could well prove to be a One season wonder, waggy going is probably why the deals for the Shrewsbury duo progressed last nite and look like being finalised today, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more in over the next 24 Hours. A completely correct decision for me.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:31 am

Completely agree with Mike.

Every club is going to hold out for as much money as possible... until that time where they have to sell.

If we hold on any further ...then we’re just cutting our nose off to spite our face. Waghorn wants to go. We want to bring in players... and we need that cash.

It’s good money for what we paid for him. No one knows what discussions or negotiations have gone on behind the scenes. At the moment, I see us as not a selling club, but a buying and selling club. Hurst has identified the players he wants and needs to generate the funds. Waghorns made it easy for us... he doesn’t want to play for us.

I think Charnwood identified players we’ve sold who perhaps we should have held on to. Didsy is easy.. he’s 30, a sick note and we’re well shot of him. Webster only plays 20 games a season and went backwards the last season. Marriott we didn’t even sell... we let him go. Nothing to do with selling assets there... we perhaps didn’t recognise his potential or he didn’t fit in with the club.
We need to look forward and maybe to beat the vicious circle we’re in, we might have to keep on selling assets for a good profit and continue to identify and invest in talent from the lower leagues.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:39 am

I see Derby have renewed their interest overnight and have emerged as favourites to get Waggy’s signature this morning. Rather surprisingly Sheffield United are suggested to be looking at restructuring a revised bid to make it a three way battle.
What a shame we’ve already accepted their bids and can’t sell to the highest bidder in the same way Waggy can hold out for the best deal for him.

AylesburyBlue

Re: Waghorn to Derby - confirmed

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:33 am

#itfc can confirm that Martyn Waghorn has left the Club to join Derby County for an undisclosed fee.

We would like to thank Martyn for his efforts both on and off the pitch throughout his time as a Town player and wish him all the best for the future.

👉 https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/august ... losed-fee/

Let’s see our incomings follow please

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 am

Hope we don't regret this, he was excellent last season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:34 am

Anyone heard from BigJonnyGash? His Blades got stuffed 3-0 last night and Didsy was subbed after 69. 69 minutes is pretty good for Didsy TBH.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:45 pm

What a cnut he was

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:36 pm

I guess he got stitched up somewhere

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:38 pm

BigJonnyGash is legendary in my book. Only made one post, over a week ago........ and he’s being remembered. My very favourite Sheffield United fan! I think I like him even more than KennedysZimmerFrame.

Now that was a proper cnut!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:22 am

Wasn't that individual a Norwich admirer ? Anyway what's done is done, had it's five minutes of fame.

Regards the Waghorn issue, I realized he was going to leave but the agreed sum seems a little underwhelming. Five million plus potential extras dependant on appearances etc you'd imagine. It's a concern we're entering a new season without a recognized attacker (the other available options in the team aren't really dependable enough) but understand any reasons for departure. Wants to be part of a set-up that can challenge, a viable opportunity to be back in the EPL in the near future etc. Arguably (or regrettably) that wasn't going to occur any time soon with us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:05 am

Harrison and Jackson are recognised strikers

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:35 am

If you look back at Waghorns career.... he hasn’t really set the world alight at any decent level, apart from last season.

Last season we brought in Garner and Waghorn and they both had something to prove at Championship level.

To SJ, Harrison and Jackson are recognised up and coming. strikers ... we’ve just given them an opportunity to see if they can do it at this level. But they also work hard and provide. Players like Edwards and Nolan also look to get in the box and score, so I see goals spread around.

I would say we have more firepower than the start of last season on paper. I don’t think we expected much from Waghorn coming here for 250 k and now there are moans he’s gone for just 5 million.

I have more concerns about the defence. Pity about the Tilt business, but we have the possibility of a loan if we can’t get a CB in today.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:03 am

I agree with Tangfastic about Waghorn. He was valuable to us and a very good buy for the money but he really is no more than a good Championship journeyman who had a fantastic season. 4.75 million is a hell of a profit to my mind. In Harrison and Jackson we are looking to the future: they both have pace and know where the goal is and work every bit as hard as Waghorn and with Nolan and Dozzell to provide the ammo I really do feel that once bedded in we could surprise a lot of people ( and the bookies!). I'm also sad we haven't got Tilt who obviously wanted to come. Oyston really is a d*ck and I feel for the Blackpool supporters. Maybe we'll get him in the January transfer window.Personally I'm happy to start the season with a CB pairing of Chambers and Nsiala with Wolfenden on the bench. Back to our two new strikers v Waghorn/Garner. I'm prepared to bet that Harrison/Jackson between them will get more goals this season than Waghorn/Garner did last season and that they have much more potential to step up to the Premier League if (when) we get promoted. Exciting times indeed.