Barnet V Town

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Barnet V Town

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Blues keeper Bartosz Bialkowski will play his first game of pre-season against Vanarama National League Barnet on Saturday afternoon, while Town have confirmed that much-coveted striker Martyn Waghorn will be in the party which travels to The Hive (KO 3pm).

Bialkowski was back at Portman Road on Monday, following his post-World Cup break, when the 31-year-old Poland international immediately put pen to paper on a new contract which runs until the summer of 2021 with the club having an option for a further year.

“I’m delighted to get him on board and I’ll see him on Saturday for the first time in a game when I’m his manager," boss Paul Hurst said yesterday.

Waghorn is the subject of interest from Sheffield United, Derby County, Birmingham City and Middlesbrough among others, while Nottingham Forest have also been linked.

Town are taking a 19-man squad which is likely to be very similar to the one which beat Crawley Town 1-0 at East Grinstead on Tuesday evening.

Tickets are available on the gate at £10 for adults, £5 for concessions (65-plus and 17-21-year-olds) and £1 for under-17s.
Anyone going ? Not a bad little ground this to be fair, I am expecting a bloody sight better than I saw at Braintree last Saturday, will be interesting to see if Waghorn does actually play, if a move away is close I doubt very much they would risk him getting injured.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Barnet V Town

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Pretty uninspiring 45 minutes, couple of chances for Town with Roberts coming very close but put the ball just wide when he should have scored and Waggy hitting the side netting from a Freekick, Barnet had one good effort which just missed the post, neither goalie has made a save.

Josh Emmanuel and Grant Ward been the pick for Town, Waggy is playing so deep at times that he's just in front of the back Four sometimes !! Luke Woolfenden done ok at CB, good in the air but caught a couple of times when playing on the deck. Looking forward to seeing Dozzell and Edwards second half.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Much better second half, I like the look of Edwards already, nice play to set up the goal, good run and finish by Kenlock, Nydam just gets better all the time, I would suggest he is definitely ahead of Downes in the pecking order atm. Andre Dozzell looking very assured and is going to be a big player for us. Good to see Two more kids given a run out, Corrie Ndaba at CB and Bailey Clements at LB.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Good to hear Dozzell looked assured after being out for so long and that his confidence doesn't appear to have been affected by his injury.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Good to hear the kids are doing well and getting a runout. Small steps and progression is the best way forward.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Just seen the goal. I know its against lower opposition, but the ball was passed through midfield. Clearly hurst is is doing things differently, great to see!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:03 am

Interestingly throughout the game yesterday both Hurst and Doig were conspicuous by their lack of encouragement from the dugout. I don’t recall ever seeing Hurst standing up!

To all intents and purposes it looked like ALL the players were on a trial for their place in the squad/ team, and with at least 3 new players likely to be coming in, I think certain players might be looking over their shoulder.The players I think are at risk are:

Sears
Spence
Ward

Players that stood out for me yesterday were.

Emmanuel
Dozzell
Edwards
Nydam

Those who disappointed were
Downes ( pale shadow of the player I last saw at Town before his loan-spell)
Sears ( he’s not taking his chance at central striker)
Roberts, ( anonymouse)

Ps Bart STILL can’t take a dead ball kick and keep it on the pitch !!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:21 am

Strange that Hurst (or Doig) is not getting off his arse and showing some commitment. What’s that all about? I’ve seen footage of him at Shrewsbury and he’s on the touchline pointing, waving, screaming. Maybe that’s just a competitive league or Cup game thing. Its only a friendly and they’re sitting observing and taking notes?

Also very sh*t that Downes (in your opinion, Hallam) looked nothing like the Downes pre Luton. He’s only 19 though so hopefully he starts picking himself up again....... although I did read (Mike maybe) that Downes could be the less preferred with Nydam. Interested to see how that little battle pans out.

And Hallam....., do you think there is any chance Ipswich could sign Anonymouse?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:41 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:21 am
Strange that Hurst (or Doig) is not getting off his arse and showing some commitment. What’s that all about? I’ve seen footage of him at Shrewsbury and he’s on the touchline pointing, waving, screaming. Maybe that’s just a competitive league or Cup game thing. Its only a friendly and they’re sitting observing and taking notes?

Also very sh*t that Downes (in your opinion, Hallam) looked nothing like the Downes pre Luton. He’s only 19 though so hopefully he starts picking himself up again....... although I did read (Mike maybe) that Downes could be the less preferred with Nydam. Interested to see how that little battle pans out.

And Hallam....., do you think there is any chance Ipswich could sign Anonymouse?
Yes, we need a Dangermouse more than an Anonymouse :)

I think Hallams right about Hursts and Doig’s lack of involvement.... probably sending out a message that they’re all on trial.

I also think Sears and Spences time here might be coming to and end. For Ward, I had high hopes he might kick on under a new boss.

Not good to hear about Downes. But Nydam seems to be growing into a good player. Maybe Downes needs a season long loan in League 1 or 2..... wouldn’t want to offload him too early as he’s a young kid and sometimes their progression drops off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:50 am

I actually didn't think Downes did too bad in the opening 25 minutes, he did take a knock and had to go off at HT, by all accounts had an ice pack on his foot, for me though he is definitely behind Nydam in the pecking order, I think Downes is best suited to the "Skuse" role so having both in the line up may not have been great for him either, hopefully he comes good.

For me first half Ward was our best player, along with Emmanuel, he also scored the goal at Crawley in Midweek so he may just be grabbing his chance ? Early days for sure. As for Sears and Spence I would not be unhappy at either of them going, Spence blows so hot and cold while Sears was once again totally anonymous.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:53 am

This was Hurst and Chris Doig’s third opportunity to see their new players in action during the club’s pre-season schedule.

And while Barnet manager John Still and his assistant, former Blue Darren Currie, talked their players through every step of the game, the Ipswich bench took a very different approach.

Hurst spent the majority of the game sat in the dugout while Doig was positioned on an advertising board in the first half before returning to the bench for the second, taking up a watching brief.

It seemed as if the pair were happy to watch their players find their own way, rather than barking orders throughout.

Maybe it was a test to see how far their players have come as they look to install a new system.

Hurst and Doig returned to the touchline late on after the Ipswich Town youngsters, which included left back Bailey Clements and central defender Corrie Ndaba, were introduced.
Saw this piece in one report so obviously intentional.

The goal for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... tch-report

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Very nice work by Gwion Edwards.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:42 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:21 am

Ha ha ha, ah shut ya beak marko. Predicted text and all that !!

Are we going to see you south of the boarder this season do you think ? Would love to meet you ( I think :shock: ) lol x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:58 pm

In all honestly Hallam, probably not. :(

But I’ll be sending a couple pics to Frosty showing off Mike’s name on the The Don Cup...., one of those pics will be me, wearing an Ipswich shirt, Hibs hat, and holding the Cup....... you’ll see for yourself that such an ugly b*stard wouldn’t be allowed into the Ipswich area! :lol: