Town V Hammers

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Town V Hammers

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:37 am

Assuming this thread is not being too cheerful is anyone going to the friendly at PR tomorrow ? I doubt Town fans will take it that seriously as we are Town fans but it seems West Ham are......

West Ham will take more than double the number of 1500 fans they took to Walsall for the Villa match at Ipswich on Saturday.

So far around 4,000 tickets have been snapped up for the game which could have been a lot more had The Tractor Boys not limited the numbers.

However, we understand the Hammers are pressing for more tickets as they believe they can shift in the order of 7-8k for a game at Portman Road this weekend.

It’s reflects the incredible excitement around the fan base as the squad go into their last domestic friendly before leaving for two final foreign pre-season games against FSV Mainz 05 in the Betway Cup next Tuesday evening and Angers SCO on August 3 .

A Hammers insider said: “We were thrilled with the number of fans who travelled to Walsall and we are continuing to negotiate for a bigger ticket allowance for the match against Ipswich.”

Shed on tour

Re: Town V Hammers

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:49 am

Will be there Mike.
I reckon half of Clacton will be as well in their West ham shirts.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:03 am

Hopefully cya there mate, Isaacs before the game if you fancy a beer

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Blues boss Paul Hurst will take charge of Town for the first time at Portman Road on Saturday when Premier League West Ham visit for the final friendly of pre-season (KO 3pm).

Hurst, whose side have won their last three matches 1-0 against lower league opposition, says ideally he would have preferred stiffer opposition with the friendly programme having been set by the previous management team.

“I would have liked more challenges, no disrespect to who we have played,” he said. “I would have preferred some tougher games.

“It’s something certainly next pre-season if it’s down to me to sort that, that’s what we’ll be looking at.

“Every game’s a challenge and you look at the scorelines and we certainly haven’t blown anyone away but in a couple of the games in which we’ve had a lot of the ball, how much have we really been tested?

“How many games could I have perhaps have gone in goal and still maybe had a chance of keeping a clean sheet?

“From that point of view, I’m glad that the opposition on Saturday is a step up and, as I say, I would have liked at least another one if not two teams to really stretch us and probably have more possession than we’ve faced so far.”

Is the performance perhaps more important than the result on Saturday? “Yes, you’ve also got to look at the players and how they react to coming up against better players, how they react to the crowd.

“Again, we know a lot of them have been there and done that sort of thing before but it’s new, maybe we’re playing a little bit differently. Can they still take that on board or they kind of hide away a little bit and not rise to the occasion?

“But we always want to try and win every game. Saturday, at the minute, I’m trying to look at the team that I can put out there, which won’t help in terms of trying to get [a result].

“Again, nothing against the players who are selected but certainly midfield at the minute, that’s proving difficult and what I would say is that no one will be risked.

“If there’s any concern whatsoever, I’m not prepared to take that chance of maybe having a stronger team for Saturday but then losing them for when it really does matter the week after.”

Hurst says he’ll be taking no chance on Cole Skuse, who suffered a thigh problem during the MK Dons game, while Trevoh Chalobah is set to fly back from Finland today along with striker Ben Morris and is not expected to feature.

Emyr Huws, Teddy Bishop, Tom Adeyemi and Danny Rowe are at various points in their injury comebacks and won’t be involved, but Joe Garner may play a part from the bench having trained yesterday following his knee problem.

Hurst says Skuse isn’t viewed as a doubt for the opening day: “I don’t think for Blackburn, I certainly hope not but he’s certainly one I’m looking at that I can’t afford to lose.

“I think today, the general feeling was that he was better than expected and I think if you ask Cole he might say he’s alright to play.

"That’s fine and I want that attitude in the squad, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not the league game, and again if we lose him we are really starting to struggle.

“So unless there’s a dramatic improvement, and I really don’t see it, he won’t be involved at the weekend.”

Hurst says there are already names definitely inked on his teamsheet for the visit of Tony Mowbray’s Blackburn next weekend with Skuse and skipper Luke Chambers among them.

“I guess the answer I should give is no, but the reality is that there will be certain people that barring injury or illness or anything like that will be in the team,” he admitted.

“But there are still genuinely places to fight for and anyone who gets the chance to set foot on the pitch on Saturday, as I’ve said to them right from the start, whether it’s the training ground but particularly games, it’s an opportunity to impress and maybe give me that nudge that I need. Or maybe come from further behind and make me have a real thought about it that actually, maybe they are ready.”

Town are likely to take the same approach as in their recent friendlies with essentially a first XI starting with a number of younger players making appearances midway through the second half.

Much-coveted Martyn Waghorn is expected to be in the squad with no developments on the transfer front but whether the striker is rested as he was at the MK Dons on Tuesday remains to be seen.

Like Hurst, summer signings Ellis Harrison, Jordan Roberts and Gwion Edwards will also be involved in their first games at Portman Road.

West Ham are expected to give Blues keeper Bartosz Bialkowski’s Poland compatriot Lukasz Fabianski his first game in goal following his summer move from Swansea, while fellow new signings Felipe Anderson and Fabian Balbuena are also thought likely to play.

The Hammers will be skippered by former Town loanee Mark Noble, while ex-Blues full-back Aaron Cresswell could return from a groin strain. Freddie Sears and Jordan Spence were youngsters with the Irons.

More than 11,000 tickets have already been sold with the Hammers having taken their entire 4,100 allocation across the Cobbold Stand. In the Sir Bobby Robson and Sir Alf Ramsey stands, only the lower tiers will be open.
Well well well, another manager who sees the value of Cole Skuse to the team.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:02 pm

I will be there don't tell me it,s a all ticket game.?
With so many WHU fans coming down how will they stop the WHU fans going in the ITFC end who donot have a ticket.?
Maybe they will have to open more stands...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:13 pm

It is all ticket isn't it ? Some Town fans I know had a hell of a job getting tickets yesterday and needed to prove they had a history of purchasing tickets etc, this is because West Ham fans could/are attempting to buy tickets in the Town sections.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:03 am

I read somewhere Town fans can pay on the day.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:10 am

You are correct Derick, just read it myself but I am wondering if you need some form of I.D. ? As I say my mates had quite an Issue Thursday which was ridiculous as they ahad kids with them in Town shirts. :astroll:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:45 am

The line up will be interesting today. Maybe a nod towards next week.

Full backs situation interesting.

I think Knudsen will start ahead of Kenlock as Hurst needs to look at him more. I can’t help feel Knudsen has got to play some part of the game at centre back... just so to see if we have options there.

I’d like to see Emmanuel start at RB in place of Spence.

Interesting to see if Waghorn plays any part.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:36 pm
Blues boss Paul Hurst will take charge of Town for the first time at Portman Road on Saturday when Premier League West Ham visit for the final friendly of pre-season (KO 3pm).

Hurst, whose side have won their last three matches 1-0 against lower league opposition, says ideally he would have preferred stiffer opposition with the friendly programme having been set by the previous management team.

“I would have liked more challenges, no disrespect to who we have played,” he said. “I would have preferred some tougher games.

“It’s something certainly next pre-season if it’s down to me to sort that, that’s what we’ll be looking at.

“Every game’s a challenge and you look at the scorelines and we certainly haven’t blown anyone away but in a couple of the games in which we’ve had a lot of the ball, how much have we really been tested?

“How many games could I have perhaps have gone in goal and still maybe had a chance of keeping a clean sheet?

“From that point of view, I’m glad that the opposition on Saturday is a step up and, as I say, I would have liked at least another one if not two teams to really stretch us and probably have more possession than we’ve faced so far.”

Is the performance perhaps more important than the result on Saturday? “Yes, you’ve also got to look at the players and how they react to coming up against better players, how they react to the crowd.

“Again, we know a lot of them have been there and done that sort of thing before but it’s new, maybe we’re playing a little bit differently. Can they still take that on board or they kind of hide away a little bit and not rise to the occasion?

“But we always want to try and win every game. Saturday, at the minute, I’m trying to look at the team that I can put out there, which won’t help in terms of trying to get [a result].

“Again, nothing against the players who are selected but certainly midfield at the minute, that’s proving difficult and what I would say is that no one will be risked.

“If there’s any concern whatsoever, I’m not prepared to take that chance of maybe having a stronger team for Saturday but then losing them for when it really does matter the week after.”

Hurst says he’ll be taking no chance on Cole Skuse, who suffered a thigh problem during the MK Dons game, while Trevoh Chalobah is set to fly back from Finland today along with striker Ben Morris and is not expected to feature.

Emyr Huws, Teddy Bishop, Tom Adeyemi and Danny Rowe are at various points in their injury comebacks and won’t be involved, but Joe Garner may play a part from the bench having trained yesterday following his knee problem.

Hurst says Skuse isn’t viewed as a doubt for the opening day: “I don’t think for Blackburn, I certainly hope not but he’s certainly one I’m looking at that I can’t afford to lose.

“I think today, the general feeling was that he was better than expected and I think if you ask Cole he might say he’s alright to play.

"That’s fine and I want that attitude in the squad, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not the league game, and again if we lose him we are really starting to struggle.

“So unless there’s a dramatic improvement, and I really don’t see it, he won’t be involved at the weekend.”

Hurst says there are already names definitely inked on his teamsheet for the visit of Tony Mowbray’s Blackburn next weekend with Skuse and skipper Luke Chambers among them.

“I guess the answer I should give is no, but the reality is that there will be certain people that barring injury or illness or anything like that will be in the team,” he admitted.

“But there are still genuinely places to fight for and anyone who gets the chance to set foot on the pitch on Saturday, as I’ve said to them right from the start, whether it’s the training ground but particularly games, it’s an opportunity to impress and maybe give me that nudge that I need. Or maybe come from further behind and make me have a real thought about it that actually, maybe they are ready.”

Town are likely to take the same approach as in their recent friendlies with essentially a first XI starting with a number of younger players making appearances midway through the second half.

Much-coveted Martyn Waghorn is expected to be in the squad with no developments on the transfer front but whether the striker is rested as he was at the MK Dons on Tuesday remains to be seen.

Like Hurst, summer signings Ellis Harrison, Jordan Roberts and Gwion Edwards will also be involved in their first games at Portman Road.

West Ham are expected to give Blues keeper Bartosz Bialkowski’s Poland compatriot Lukasz Fabianski his first game in goal following his summer move from Swansea, while fellow new signings Felipe Anderson and Fabian Balbuena are also thought likely to play.

The Hammers will be skippered by former Town loanee Mark Noble, while ex-Blues full-back Aaron Cresswell could return from a groin strain. Freddie Sears and Jordan Spence were youngsters with the Irons.

More than 11,000 tickets have already been sold with the Hammers having taken their entire 4,100 allocation across the Cobbold Stand. In the Sir Bobby Robson and Sir Alf Ramsey stands, only the lower tiers will be open.
Well well well, another manager who sees the value of Cole Skuse to the team.
so it would seem. Strange, considering other managers that have had the same view and played him as an automatic choice have had little success.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:39 pm

A team I got a tangible distaste for, who cares if it's only a friendly, a win over those would be a good victory irrespective of game format.

You can't read much however into these pre-season contests, they bear minimal significance on the imminent league campaign ahead but as before, a victory for Hurst, the team, and the fans, would be a satisfactory start to the former's tenure here within the club set-up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Town: Bialkowski, Spence, Woolfenden, Chambers (C), Knudsen, Downes, Nydam, Dozzell, Edwards, Sears, Harrison. Subs: Gerken, Chalobah, Waghorn, Lankester, Ward, Roberts, Clements, Emmanuel, Kenlock.

Waghorn again on bench .... we wouldn’t want our prize asset to get injured :(

Jack Lankester seems to have jumped ahead of Folami, Drinan and Morriss in the young striker pecking order.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Managed to find a link for the game and joined after 18 mins. Missed both goals 1-1 at HT.

Must admit I was impressed. Really noticeable pressing higher up the pitch and trying to force mistakes. Considering we’ve got kids in the midfield- Dozzell, Nydam and Downes - they’re doing well. Like the look of Harrison ... working hard and could have got a second when he hit the post ( looked miles offside to me). Keep it up COYB.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Great to read. Can’t seem to get any stream that will work, but come on, you blues, ....:,keep it going. It’d be a dream come true if Dozzell, Nydam and Downes locked down those midfield roles and performed miracles for Hurst. Individually, they are quality.

With Saint on this....., cant stand West ‘aaaaam innit and hope for big second half.

COME ON!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:04 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:00 pm
Great to read. Can’t seem to get any stream that will work, but come on, you blues, ....:,keep it going. It’d be a dream come true if Dozzell, Nydam and Downes locked down those midfield roles and performed miracles for Hurst. Individually, they are quality.

With Saint on this....., cant stand West ‘aaaaam innit and hope for big second half.

COME ON!
Try on the twtd forum. There’s an easy link. Facebook didn’t work for me

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Lost 2-1 . Looked like Woolfy got caught on the wrong side.

Result aside.. I thought that was very encouraging. Much more energy and intent. Midfield seemed to be pressing more.

And Chalobah .... came on in 75... just looked a class player right from the start. Deep midfield role... wanted the ball, strong, looked up, crisp passes.... watch out Skusey!!!!!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Watched the game on Facebook i thought Town played well for 70 mins.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:47 pm

I really enjoyed it today, as friendlies go it was very entertaining and for the large part we more than matched them and were unlucky to lose the game. I thought our high pressing game in the first half worked really well and after the opening Ten minutes we were the better side. I really like the look of Gwion Edwards, in this division he will tear defenders apart, Harrison too looks a real find and a handful, grabbed a goal and could have had a second with the one off the post. Dozzell just oozes class and strode around the pitch like a seasoned pro, his through ball for our goal was fab, young Woolfenden did well also, yes he was caught a couple of times but he will improve, Chambo had a very good opening 45 too. Nydam and Downes worked their socks off and had the measure of the West Ham Midfield for long spells. If we can get this Three or Four new faces in over the coming days I think we will be well set.

Prior to today I feared we were a long way off but better opposition seems to have seen us step up and I am not half as worried as I was, yes we still need Three or Four bodies in, especially at CB but I am sure PH will get it done. A nice cameo from Chalobah at the end also, he looks composed and confident. Plenty of reasons for positivity.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:10 pm

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-tow ... -1-5628275

For those who may want to watch it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:20 pm

What was so noticeable was there so much intent on energy 20-30 yards further up the field than normal. Nibbling at oppenents ankles in their half and trying to force something.

In the past, we’ve got so used to someone like Skuse nicking tackles outside our box. Nothing against Skuse as he was following orders but it was good to see the energy there. Midfield IMO has been our main problem for years. I thought the young kids did great. Chalobah seemed to add some class there at the end. I’ve already written of Huws, Adeyemi and Bishop ... those kids and Chalobah did well. And Skuse could well be someone you want on those cold, wet November Tuesday nights.

It’s only a friendly, but you can see Hurst has stamped his style down already. Performances like that and we’ll be getting more through the turnstiles.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:27 am

A midfield three of Andre Dozzell, Tristan Nydam and Flynn Downes, confidently playing the ball around against the best players they have faced in their young careers to date.

The trio started in midfield against West Ham and never looked out of place. Outplayed on a few occasions, sure, but never out of place.

This is only pre-season, of course, and the tests to come in the Championship will be so much greater. Are they ready to play as a three in the hustle and bustle of league football?

It appears unlikely they will start together against Blackburn next weekend, with Cole Skuse almost certain to be part of the side, but manager Paul Hurst will now know he can depend on the teenagers if required.

Experienced midfielders like Skuse will have to work harder than ever before to ensure his name is on the team-sheet every week, while the likes of Teddy Bishop and Emyr Huws will have significant hurdles to overcome if they are to earn minutes once they are fully fit. Young Chelsea loanee Trevoh Chalobah, another England Under 19 international, is in the midfield mix too.

Hurst admitted post-match that Dozzell is still short of the fitness levels both the player himself and staff require of him, before insisting he is a young man he values highly.

Playing the trio together in the dress rehearsal ahead of the new season was more by necessity than design, given the lengthy injury list and frustrations in the transfer market, but you would think this game gave Hurst an additional headache as he plots his starting XI ahead of the season-opener.

The trinity of Downes, Nydam and Dozzell have grown up playing together at Portman Road, schooled in the same system, and it shows.

There’s a confidence about their play and it’s clear they know where the others are going to be.

Dozzell demands the ball, with Downes and Nydam spotting him quicker than the rest of their team-mates, and when he gets it he can be devastating.

His pin-point pass to Ellis Harrison for the Blues’ goal against the Hammers proved that, while there were plenty of neat touches during his 79 minutes on the field in his role behind the Ipswich striker.

This was his first game back at Portman Road since leaving last season’s opening-day clash with Birmingham on a stretcher, but he showed no tentative signs as he proved he is ready to hit the ground running this time around.

Boyhood West Ham fan Downes and Nydam took turns dropping deep to get the ball from the back four, also embracing the midfield scrap with players vastly more experienced than them, while Dozzell could also be found in a deep role looking for possession regularly.

It was fluid and flexible, with the trio showing a balance with and without the ball. Between them they can do it all. Dozzell’s vision and creativity, Downes’ box-to-box ability and desire to win the ball and Nydam’s sweeping left foot, niggle in the tackle and ability to spread play.

Whether we see the trio together in competitive action in the weeks ahead remains to be seen but, on this evidence, the future’s certainly a bright one.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:13 am

More of this please....