Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers - Season Opener

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Re: Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers - Season Opener

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:49 am

Opening weekend is always going to be hard, there's a number of factors you got to take on board i.e. team players attempting too hard to impress, nerves from the new kids etc. Not only that but facing off with an opposition fresh from a promotion, they were hardly going to be making up the numbers. Got a result from it with time fast elapsing although reading some defensive issues would seem a concern.

Been on the receiving end of late goals so often once before so it made a change to hear it went our way this occasion. You can't make judgments on one game alone but seems there were certain positives to take from today, lessons to be learned also. Waghorn omitted from the starting XI seems somewhat ominous, I seem to accept any transfer away would seem imminent.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:36 am

Hi guys, well first one down, not too bad...I guess. A settled, flying and confident Blackburn team, but being settled means they were essentially a League One team. Going to take a while to bed in quite a new approach to the game and a bunch of new players. Be glad to see the window closed so we know what the team will actually look like for the next few months. The Waghorn money will likely arrive too late to have a big difference.

But questions questions on how we actually lined up. When I saw the match day 11 I had no idea who was playing where? Are we a 442 or a 433? or a 4231? Didn't catch the game, and only highlights available so far.

Was it Jonas at left back, Chambers and Janoi (Who can play RB) in the middle and Spence (Who can play CB) at RB?

As it's a Hurst team and we've signed a big bruising striker I'm guessing two wingers in Edwards and a reluctant Sears with Harrison playing alone up front? Leaving two defensive mids and Downes as the midfield?!?! Spence went off and Wolfman came on, to CB? Janoi out to where I thought we would be playing him?

If we're going to play a lonely striker up front (and only have Downes who would naturally head forward from midfield out of Skuse and Chalobah) then would Waghorn really be the right player for that role? We're going to need goals from midfield and we're going to need a midfield link man either a deep lying striker (like sick note who left us) or a proper number 10 Jason Dozzel / Tommy Miller 15 goals from midfield type.

When Tayo came on he went to left wing - where did Sears go? And when Sears went off where did Morris go?

Sorry for the all the questions but had no idea how we shaped up without watching and by looking at that team sheet :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:32 am

Hi Vaalae, will try to answer your questions, first off we lined up with a 4-2-3-1 which appears to be Hursts favoured formation. Spence started at RB, Knudsen at LB with Chambo and Donacien in the middle, Spence having to go off late in the first half saw Woolfenden come in at CB with Donacien moving to RB where he looked far more comfortable. Chalobah sat deep just in front of back Four with Downes and Skuse ahead of him, at times was hard to tell but it appeared to me that Skuse was the further forward of the Three. The introduction of the impressive Edun saw Downes off and Sears moved in to his position of CM.

Although it appears like just one striker and Two wingers they have to act as strikers too, something Edwards did well but Sears cannot do. You are correct in that Waghorn hardly fits into the system and it may be why we are prepared to sacrifice him, Sears too will have no place in the team once Nolan arrives and Ward/Dozzell/ Huws etc all returning at some point.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:06 am

rossi wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 pm
well I certainly wasn't expecting a wonderful performance straight off, so I was not really surprised at what I saw.

Plenty of room for improvement, but the team will take time to mould and start to be a cohesive unit.

The thing that disappointed me most was that Blackburn seemed much hungrier than us - they were always first to the ball and seemed much more up for it. That HAS to change, and quickly.

Plusses for me today were Harrison, Edwards, and Chalobah. Chalobah in particular - he played the holding role and showed that it is possible in this role to have some attacking intent. he was so much better than what we had in that role last season.

I was disappointed that absolutely no progress seems to have been made defensively. we were very poor defensively all game.

And, just for Mike, my verdict on Skuse today. Well, for the first half I think he only touched the ball twice, he seemed to try to get as far away from the game as possible. Second half he was a bit more involved, and he gave an absolute masterclass - in slowness and wayward passing. Mike, I think you are very generous in your rating of 5 for him - in my view he was a passenger and by far the worst Town player on display today.
Great to see you yesterday Gary, as you can see I didn't think Skuse had a particularly good game either although he was playing slightly more offensive which I guess will take him time to adapt to as well as everyone else, that said let's not forget it was his clever flick which started the move for Edwards goal so if that was one of his only Two touches it was a crucial one as without it we probably would have lost, his other first half touch must have been the header which went just wide of the post but it was good to see him actually getting into the box.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:26 am

Fingers crossed we get those players in early next week.

Love to see Nsiala and Tilt come in. I think we need them both and then we can have some competition in the centre of defence.
We need another striker. Not convinced about Bogle... who knows, maybe we can work out a reasonable deal for Jackson.

Nolan could be key because we really need a midfielder who can get into the box and support the strikers.

There was mention of formations. I’ll have a stab at 4-1-2-2-1. Not really sure it mattered because we were getting pulled about and for much of the time it was pretty ragged.

I fail to see how Skuse is going to fit in if he’s not the deepest lying midfielder. Yes, he can put in interceptions outside our box, but he’s not got the legs to sprint into their box and hasn’t got the vision in the final third ( or two thirds). I think the formation and high pressing game that Hurst wants will be too much for Skuse and his time could well be up ( or at least his permanent name on the team sheet).
There’s room for improvement with Chalobah, but it’s amazing this was his first competitive match outside age group football. He actually wants that ball in deep areas and looks strong and comfortable on the ball.

For me, the right back position is a concern. Hopefully, Donacien can nail that down, but not totally convinced after one game there. Disappointing that Hurst prefers Spence to Emanuell, because, for me, Spence is just not good enough and that says something about how Hurst feels about Emanuell.

I thought Morriss showed real promise at the end. Hopefully, we can see more of him from the subs bench.

Next game.... I would like to see Spence, Skuse and Sears replaced from the starting line up. Could be that Knudsen has left, who actually had a decent game. If he stays we might see an improvement in him under Hurst.

Hopefully, by next Saturday we’ll have our new signings in and we’ll be getting towards a settled side.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:03 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:06 am
rossi wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 pm
well I certainly wasn't expecting a wonderful performance straight off, so I was not really surprised at what I saw.

Plenty of room for improvement, but the team will take time to mould and start to be a cohesive unit.

The thing that disappointed me most was that Blackburn seemed much hungrier than us - they were always first to the ball and seemed much more up for it. That HAS to change, and quickly.

Plusses for me today were Harrison, Edwards, and Chalobah. Chalobah in particular - he played the holding role and showed that it is possible in this role to have some attacking intent. he was so much better than what we had in that role last season.

I was disappointed that absolutely no progress seems to have been made defensively. we were very poor defensively all game.

And, just for Mike, my verdict on Skuse today. Well, for the first half I think he only touched the ball twice, he seemed to try to get as far away from the game as possible. Second half he was a bit more involved, and he gave an absolute masterclass - in slowness and wayward passing. Mike, I think you are very generous in your rating of 5 for him - in my view he was a passenger and by far the worst Town player on display today.
Great to see you yesterday Gary, as you can see I didn't think Skuse had a particularly good game either although he was playing slightly more offensive which I guess will take him time to adapt to as well as everyone else, that said let's not forget it was his clever flick which started the move for Edwards goal so if that was one of his only Two touches it was a crucial one as without it we probably would have lost, his other first half touch must have been the header which went just wide of the post but it was good to see him actually getting into the box.
I get your point that Skuse had a couple of good moments and it’s good to see a midfielder get in the box.... but after 470 pro games and 11 career goals... is Skuse the one we want in those areas? We’ve got only striker up front and we need a midfielder who has an eye for goal and someone who instinctively can spot a pass through to a forward runner.

I don’t see why Skuse has got to be a certain starter if Chalobah plays the deep role. Nydam offers more in his tenacity further up the field IMO. I also don’t think we should have the patience for Skuse to adapt in a new advanced role.... 470 pro games and he’s not a box to box scoring midfielder. We’ve got young kids who can offer more in that role already IMO. Early days ... and maybe Skuse will show his worth on a cold, wet Tuesday October night in a sh*t, attritional game, but I think his place is seriously under threat.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:10 am

I'm not saying Skuse is the one who should playing that role, I was gutted when the likes of Nydam and Dozzell were not available for whatever reason, I actually said Skuse was poor yesterday, that doens't mean he did nothing though. he started the move for the goal, that is fact, it was a nice touch to be fair.

I think little can be taken from yesterdays line up, we have Jon Nolan arriving anytime, we have Dozzell and Nydam waiting in the wings, we now have Edun looking pretty good and Ward available too, we have Nsiala and hopefully Tilt to come in at the back and no doubt another Striker or Two arriving, add to that Huws & Bishop god willing so for me it was a patched up squad where PH felt we needed One or Two older heads in there which was exactly the right call.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:17 pm

For anyone that may not have seen highlights

https://www.twtd.co.uk/video/175957/hig ... n-rovers-2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:04 pm

I didn’t get a chance to follow the game until the second half so picked it up when we were trailing 2-1 and to be honest it sounded like Blackburn were in control and looking like going home with all three points.

I was so pleased when we scored late as we always seem to be more on the receiving end of late goals than we do scoring them and it will make Paul Hurst’s life far more comfortable than had he lost his first game at Portman Road.

With a number of new debutants on the day it was never likely to be easy and by all accounts the squad is far from complete. I’m pretty sure I read somewhere yesterday that our squad is the youngest in the Championship with an average age of 24 so definitely a couple of more experienced players would help balance the team for the challenges that lay ahead playing in what many think is the most competitive league in Europe.

It appears that Martyn Waghorns move to Middlesbrough for circa £6m has been completed this morning, let’s hope the £5m profit goes back to Paul Hurst to help him complete his rebuild.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Two things:

1/ had a whistle gone just prior to the Blackburn second goal? Why the F does it appear that everyone stopped? That was a horrific, under 12-like goal on a Sunday morning.

2/ Edwards won’t be at ITFC long. He will stand out way too much if the team is mediocre. Saw him twice through highlights..... twice he looks a class better than Championship.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:04 pm
I didn’t get a chance to follow the game until the second half so picked it up when we were trailing 2-1 and to be honest it sounded like Blackburn were in control and looking like going home with all three points.

I was so pleased when we scored late as we always seem to be more on the receiving end of late goals than we do scoring them and it will make Paul Hurst’s life far more comfortable than had he lost his first game at Portman Road.

With a number of new debutants on the day it was never likely to be easy and by all accounts the squad is far from complete. I’m pretty sure I read somewhere yesterday that our squad is the youngest in the Championship with an average age of 24 so definitely a couple of more experienced players would help balance the team for the challenges that lay ahead playing in what many think is the most competitive league in Europe.

It appears that Martyn Waghorns move to Middlesbrough for circa £6m has been completed this morning, let’s hope the £5m profit goes back to Paul Hurst to help him complete his rebuild.
Agreed with pretty much of that, except the need for experience. Time will tell over the course of the season, but I don’t see Hurst going that route of bringing in experience. I don’t think any of our debutants yesterday have played Championship level before... and they did OK. Nolan, Nsiala, Tilt also have never played before at Championship level before.

I’m all for it... I got sick and tired of so many over the hill Championship journeymen that came here on free transfers and I don’t think their experience counted for much... apart from being able to put in a shift. I’d prefer hungry players from the lower leagues on the way up.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:31 pm

I think Charnwood is right. Not all experienced players are journeymen by any means and I would have thought with the sale fees generated there will be sufficient to buy at least one player to help out the youngsters.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:03 pm
Well we are up and running and we've got a point on the board. The general feeling I have is one of relief tinged with a little bit of disappointment as I suppose the excitement of the new dawn etc had me expecting just that little bit more. I think what was very evident was that this is a group of players that are not yet a team, Paul Hurst has the task of molding them into a unit that is cohesive and organised, at times we looked a little ragged and disjointed, some players are definitely raw and have much to learn, hopefully that will come, we also need those new faces in, the defence especially needs strengthening, but there was positives too and definitely things to take from the game.

It was only Five minutes into the season and Town found themselves One up, a raking cross field pass from Freddie Sears saw debutant Gwion Edwards arrive at the back post to send a cracking header across goal and into the net, the fans erupted and noise levels, just as they were before kick off were superb, just the start we dream't of and something to build on. Chances failed to follow though but it was Town who for Twenty minutes looked the better side with Blackburn offering nothing as an attacking unit. That was all to change though as the ref incorrectly awarded them a free kick in a dangerous position and from the resultant kick a real comedy of errors in the Town defence saw them draw level. First of the attacker at the far post was given way too much time and space to get his header back across goal and quite what Bart was doing god only knows as twice he flapped at it before gifting it to Danny Graham who rifled it home, can't get away from the fact it was rank bad goalkeeping while our marking also left a lot to be desired.

The goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of Town and our decent start had evaporated into a nervous looking bunch of players who didn't quite know what they were supposed to be doing, what was clear to me was that we were not playing that high pressing game that we saw against west Ham and which PH speaks so much of, instead we were gifting them way too much space at times. With the visitors now on top it wasn't long before they went ahead, again sloppy defending saw Town caught out as a simple ball over the top down our right side had them in yards of space and from the cross Chambers had to try to get across to block but in doing so Dack was left in space behind as nobody covered the skipper and he had the easiest of task of putting the ball in the net. Such a bitter blow and not what we had all expected.

Town tried to rally and did improve a bit towards HT but we only mustered a half chance from a Skuse header which cleared the post and a shot from Edwards which went high and wide right on the whistle. Spence had to be repalced by Woolfenden with Jonai Donacien switching to RB.

The first part of the second half was pretty uneventful with Town finding it hard to create anything of note, all too often passes went astray while we were seemingly getting outmuscled in most Fifty Fifty situations. Harrison was battling manfully up front and putting himself about while Gwion Edwards was looking really impressive out wide and he looked to be the one who could unlock the Blackburn defence. Chalobah too was catching the eye but at times his passing let him down. Mid way through the second half we saw Tayo Edun enter the fray and almost immediately he caught the eye, composed on the ball and with a bit of skill too he soon got involved into the pace of the game. A rare break into their box saw a delightful ball across the face of goal by Harrison go begging as nobody got in there. With the game approaching the final Fifteen minutes we almost fell further behind but Bart was on hand to smother a rather weak Bradley Dack effort when he should have done much better, it was a let off for Town for sure. Town sub Ben Morris came on and was so so close to being an instant hero but his effort was saved by the Blackburn keepers foot.

With time running out another brilliant piece of skill from Town MOTM Edwards saw him flick the ball over a defender before charging in on goal and firing a shot which was charged down by a defender and away for a corner. However Town were not to be denied but it took a big piece of good fortune for us to get back level, Edwards layinbg a pass off to new boy Tayo Edun who plays a hopeful ball into the box which somehow evades everyone and nestles into the net, the North Stand erupts and suddenly things don't feel quite so bad again as all the players mob the unlikely hero who it has to be said looks a player, what I saw of him I liked a lot, maybe not a squad filler after all.

I think a point was about right come the end but there is no doubt that there is much to work on. Players are clearly still getting to know each other and it will take time, some have barely met their teammates so patience is key. I thought Gwion Edwards was a cut above every other Town player, Ellis Harrison worked his socks off but needs more support, playing the system we do there is no place for Freddie Sears in the team, Grant Ward returning will help, at the back Chambo and Knudsen were solid but for me Spence is weak, the new guy Jonacien started quite shakey but improved at Fullback, we need Nsiala Tilt and Nolan for sure, we also need another Striker with Waghorn on the way out, this next few days are crucial to our chances. I think we definitely missed the tenacity of Tristan Nydam too, his work rate and closing down is so vital to us now, for me Cole Skuse was pretty ineffective today and Downes looked the better of the Two. There isn't anything to be alarmed about but there is much business to be done and plenty of things to work on and improve. The journey has only just begun.

Bart (5) Spence (4) Chambers (7) Jonacien (6) Knudsen (7) Downes (6) Skuse (5) Chalobah (6) Sears (6) Edwards (8) Harrison (7)

SUBS ;- Woolfenden (6) Edun (7) Morris (6)
great to have your indepenant right ups back Mike, always a good read,