Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers - Season Opener

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers - Season Opener

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:14 am

:lol: Would love to hear that “admirers” conversation.

“What’re we watching here?”
“The guy over there at left back.”
“Him over there taking the throw in?”
“Apparently so.”
“And they want a million bucks for him?”
“Again, apparently so”
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside........ (before anyone loses their sh*t) ..... I hope ALL the team do well, Jonas included. Get the job done, lads.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:29 am

.......................Bart

Donacien...Chambo....Wolfenden........Knudsen ..

...................... Skuse...........................

.............Nydam...........Downes

Sears.............................................Edwards

.....................Harrison

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:38 am

After seeing MK DONS highlights, I did think yer dad had Edwards on the wrong side! :D

Left side of Downes / Edwards does sound very good indeed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:01 pm

I wasn't even thinking sides TBH LOL.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Looks like Mike was closest with team.

Only Downes is in place of Nydam. Waghorn not even on bench unsurprisingly.

Would have thought Nydam might have a bit more going forward instead of Downes.

3 deep lying central midfielders at home.... haven’t we been there before?

Roll on the start of the season .... COYB.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:12 pm

And so the new era begins!

Keep it up boys.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 pm

GET IN!!!

COYB,s

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Bother :evil:

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Well, that has all gone very wrong, very quickly!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Double bother. Plenty of energy and potential, but also loose and ragged, lack of quality is quite apparent and the defence is a worry, open your wallet Evans.

Plenty to work with going forward, but you can see they're cheap, young inexperienced players when they're found out of position and lack the composure on the ball that they need in a competitive league.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Jaysus H feckin Christ, what happened?

I go into Morrisons , ..... come back to check score???

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:53 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:38 pm
Jaysus H feckin Christ, what happened?

I go into Morrisons , ..... come back to check score???
Morrisons, yellow and green colour scheme, need I say more, stay out of that shop!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:56 pm

Disappointing to go into HT 2-1. Did fine for 20 mins. We need defenders signed.... we’re shoddy in defence. Hope Spence is Ok, but it’s a blessing in disguise he went off. Thought he was our poorest player. Big blunder by Bart for the first.

Really like the look of Chalobah and Edwards and Harrison’s a handful but has red card written over him. Fair play to Knudsen... he’s our best defender. Definitely worth 2 million. :) COYB.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Had a lazy garlic crisis, Ricco! Those yellow Morrison’s bstds are closest!

Apologies, won’t happen again! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Get back to 2-2, ..... some solid defending.... £3M by FT, Tang?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:00 pm
Had a lazy garlic crisis, Ricco! Those yellow Morrison’s bstds are closest!

Apologies, won’t happen again! :D
Not that I'm superstitious or anything :lol:

COYB

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Deserved that, needed that for a bit of confidence. Interesting.

Loved the energy and optimism on the ball vs McCarthy era.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:59 pm

E dun it!!!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Got out of jail there. In the end, happy with the point. Edwards looked by far MOTM.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:10 pm

The players from last year all looked a bit jaded, a bit McCarthyesque, it looks like they are the ones that will have to adapt to the new philosophies and energy levels rather than the newbies, who, while loose at times, were the ones who really looked to be playing the Paul Hurst way. Important point.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:10 pm
The players from last year all looked a bit jaded, a bit McCarthyesque, it looks like they are the ones that will have to adapt to the new philosophies and energy levels rather than the newbies, who, while loose at times, were the ones who really looked to be playing the Paul Hurst way. Important point.
Skuse was by no means was the worst player there..... but during the match I did wonder what he’s going to bring to the team this season playing further up the field. I think I would prefer a Nydam or Dozzell in those areas. Chalobah was playing deep and happy to receive the ball. Not sure where Skusey fits in.... but that’s one point amongst quite a number of points becausewe looked pretty ragged for most of the game. We definitely need to get those players signed up.
I thought Knudsen was the standout from the McCarthy stalwarts. I think he’s playing for a move.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Well we are up and running and we've got a point on the board. The general feeling I have is one of relief tinged with a little bit of disappointment as I suppose the excitement of the new dawn etc had me expecting just that little bit more. I think what was very evident was that this is a group of players that are not yet a team, Paul Hurst has the task of molding them into a unit that is cohesive and organised, at times we looked a little ragged and disjointed, some players are definitely raw and have much to learn, hopefully that will come, we also need those new faces in, the defence especially needs strengthening, but there was positives too and definitely things to take from the game.

It was only Five minutes into the season and Town found themselves One up, a raking cross field pass from Freddie Sears saw debutant Gwion Edwards arrive at the back post to send a cracking header across goal and into the net, the fans erupted and noise levels, just as they were before kick off were superb, just the start we dream't of and something to build on. Chances failed to follow though but it was Town who for Twenty minutes looked the better side with Blackburn offering nothing as an attacking unit. That was all to change though as the ref incorrectly awarded them a free kick in a dangerous position and from the resultant kick a real comedy of errors in the Town defence saw them draw level. First of the attacker at the far post was given way too much time and space to get his header back across goal and quite what Bart was doing god only knows as twice he flapped at it before gifting it to Danny Graham who rifled it home, can't get away from the fact it was rank bad goalkeeping while our marking also left a lot to be desired.

The goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of Town and our decent start had evaporated into a nervous looking bunch of players who didn't quite know what they were supposed to be doing, what was clear to me was that we were not playing that high pressing game that we saw against west Ham and which PH speaks so much of, instead we were gifting them way too much space at times. With the visitors now on top it wasn't long before they went ahead, again sloppy defending saw Town caught out as a simple ball over the top down our right side had them in yards of space and from the cross Chambers had to try to get across to block but in doing so Dack was left in space behind as nobody covered the skipper and he had the easiest of task of putting the ball in the net. Such a bitter blow and not what we had all expected.

Town tried to rally and did improve a bit towards HT but we only mustered a half chance from a Skuse header which cleared the post and a shot from Edwards which went high and wide right on the whistle. Spence had to be repalced by Woolfenden with Jonai Donacien switching to RB.

The first part of the second half was pretty uneventful with Town finding it hard to create anything of note, all too often passes went astray while we were seemingly getting outmuscled in most Fifty Fifty situations. Harrison was battling manfully up front and putting himself about while Gwion Edwards was looking really impressive out wide and he looked to be the one who could unlock the Blackburn defence. Chalobah too was catching the eye but at times his passing let him down. Mid way through the second half we saw Tayo Edun enter the fray and almost immediately he caught the eye, composed on the ball and with a bit of skill too he soon got involved into the pace of the game. A rare break into their box saw a delightful ball across the face of goal by Harrison go begging as nobody got in there. With the game approaching the final Fifteen minutes we almost fell further behind but Bart was on hand to smother a rather weak Bradley Dack effort when he should have done much better, it was a let off for Town for sure. Town sub Ben Morris came on and was so so close to being an instant hero but his effort was saved by the Blackburn keepers foot.

With time running out another brilliant piece of skill from Town MOTM Edwards saw him flick the ball over a defender before charging in on goal and firing a shot which was charged down by a defender and away for a corner. However Town were not to be denied but it took a big piece of good fortune for us to get back level, Edwards layinbg a pass off to new boy Tayo Edun who plays a hopeful ball into the box which somehow evades everyone and nestles into the net, the North Stand erupts and suddenly things don't feel quite so bad again as all the players mob the unlikely hero who it has to be said looks a player, what I saw of him I liked a lot, maybe not a squad filler after all.

I think a point was about right come the end but there is no doubt that there is much to work on. Players are clearly still getting to know each other and it will take time, some have barely met their teammates so patience is key. I thought Gwion Edwards was a cut above every other Town player, Ellis Harrison worked his socks off but needs more support, playing the system we do there is no place for Freddie Sears in the team, Grant Ward returning will help, at the back Chambo and Knudsen were solid but for me Spence is weak, the new guy Jonacien started quite shakey but improved at Fullback, we need Nsiala Tilt and Nolan for sure, we also need another Striker with Waghorn on the way out, this next few days are crucial to our chances. I think we definitely missed the tenacity of Tristan Nydam too, his work rate and closing down is so vital to us now, for me Cole Skuse was pretty ineffective today and Downes looked the better of the Two. There isn't anything to be alarmed about but there is much business to be done and plenty of things to work on and improve. The journey has only just begun.

Bart (5) Spence (4) Chambers (7) Jonacien (6) Knudsen (7) Downes (6) Skuse (5) Chalobah (6) Sears (6) Edwards (8) Harrison (7)

SUBS ;- Woolfenden (6) Edun (7) Morris (6)

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:14 pm

A mixed bag really.
I loved the enthusiasm of the new players and their hunger for the ball, but they lack the experience which I believe will come in time.
Défense as ever letting in a blunder goal for their first.

Mostly enjoyed the game though and look forward to the up and coming weeks.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Ahhhh!! Match reports are back! Cheers for that. Gwion Edwards worth £65M by Halloween?

What about the Loons Fking up my accumulator?! GRRRR!

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:23 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm
Ahhhh!! Match reports are back! Cheers for that. Gwion Edwards worth £65M by Halloween?

That's not a report it's an essay but a very good one

Cheers Mike

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:47 pm

marko69 wrote:

We played them off the bloody pitch for 80 minutes by all accounts !!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:47 pm
marko69 wrote:

We played them off the bloody pitch for 80 minutes by all accounts !!
That’s what I said to the bookie!! Told me to, (quote) “get the fk out my shop!”

Seriously though........ you’re right, 1-0 up, 80th minute? Could only have been a Loons collapse ——> Airdrie can’t be that good.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:21 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:38 am
After seeing MK DONS highlights, I did think yer dad had Edwards on the wrong side! :D

Left side of Downes / Edwards does sound very good indeed.
And actually I was right, Edwards played on the Right !! :D

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 pm

well I certainly wasn't expecting a wonderful performance straight off, so I was not really surprised at what I saw.

Plenty of room for improvement, but the team will take time to mould and start to be a cohesive unit.

The thing that disappointed me most was that Blackburn seemed much hungrier than us - they were always first to the ball and seemed much more up for it. That HAS to change, and quickly.

Plusses for me today were Harrison, Edwards, and Chalobah. Chalobah in particular - he played the holding role and showed that it is possible in this role to have some attacking intent. he was so much better than what we had in that role last season.

I was disappointed that absolutely no progress seems to have been made defensively. we were very poor defensively all game.

And, just for Mike, my verdict on Skuse today. Well, for the first half I think he only touched the ball twice, he seemed to try to get as far away from the game as possible. Second half he was a bit more involved, and he gave an absolute masterclass - in slowness and wayward passing. Mike, I think you are very generous in your rating of 5 for him - in my view he was a passenger and by far the worst Town player on display today.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:51 pm

Caption Comp: Finger lickin good, almost as tasty as the bird I pulled at Clacton on Saturday she was finger licking good too. :wink: