Rotherham vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Best chance of an away win this season?

Rotherham Win
5%
Ipswich Win
75%
Another Draw
20%

Total votes: 20

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Re: Rotherham vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by TODD66 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:06 pm

11 - 0 on corners!

Have to assume we showed a lot of attacking intent!

Get the feeling that Rotherham might just be one of PH's bogey teams given last season's exploits against them.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:00 pm
Very disappointed.

Will Bluemike be able to dig out some positives ?

I hope so.
I think you will find positives.
Look forward to Mikes report.
One thing.... we had so many corners and free kicks which amounted to nothing. I’m sure we could do better.

I thought Nolan showed good signs.

Rotherham were not a good side.... there were 3 points there.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:06 pm

Where have all the strikers gone :shock:

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Oh well
Loads of possession but nothing where it counts.

The win will have to wait until Villa

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:11 pm

How can we have so many corners and free kicks without creating headers or shots on target, surely these corners and free kicks must have been taken badly ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:11 pm
How can we have so many corners and free kicks without creating headers or shots on target, surely these corners and free kicks must have been taken badly ?
IMO ... Yes... we could have done better at corners/free kicks. Many were meat and drink for GK and defenders.

Ward took the corners and I think that’s something for the training pitch.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm

1 up front does not work. That result is f**king sh*t.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Very very disappointed, let's hope Bluemike can see some positives, early days yet.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:36 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm
Yep, harrison is not the answer from what i saw at PR last week. Maybe jackson will start next week?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:37 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
How many did we play up front with last season? Waghorn played wide or deep with Garner up top.

There’s actually more forward thinking players than last season IMO.

I thought Nolan did OK on his debut. Ward didn’t do it for me. Too weak. And Skuse... not sure receiving the ball in space in your openents half and driving for goal and laying the killer pass is for him. There’s 3 young kids who were not on the bench who might have have added something.

Dissapointing... but can we not give time for the team to GEL?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Hoping the performance was good, certainly sounded like it at times. I think I'll take that and a loss over a win and a poor performance at this stage of the teams 'gelling' period...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Gel shortage!

Disappointed for the travelling diehards...... hoping there were genuine positives.

For you Paul if you read this forum...... it’s no gonnae be easy, pal!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:37 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
How many did we play up front with last season? Waghorn played wide or deep with Garner up top.

There’s actually more forward thinking players than last season IMO.

I thought Nolan did OK on his debut. Ward didn’t do it for me. Too weak. And Skuse... not sure receiving the ball in space in your openents half and driving for goal and laying the killer pass is for him. There’s 3 young kids who were not on the bench who might have have added something.

Dissapointing... but can we not give time for the team to GEL?
We have just lost to the worst team in the f**king league. Still we play with 2 holding midfielders why? Even MM played 2 upfront ffs.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Sounds like we were robbed in the 90th minute after dominating the game,not surprised by this result though as we looked defensively poor last week.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:44 pm

It's a quite weird feeling following this match. You cannot knock the team for the general performance but the disappointing thing is that we lost against really poor opposition. One big donkey in Michael Smith for them and they didn't threaten much until the last 20 mins of the match.

It's going to take the time, perhaps long time to get it working. There have certainly been positive aspects to take from today. First half for example where we were on the front foot for the most of it. Already a big difference in compare to what we had to watch/endure in the last few seasons where we'd usually let an opposition have a go at us.

Mostly on the front foot albeit not creating as much as it should have been given our dominance. Harrison stopped by Rodak and Donacien's deflected shot going over the bar probably the most notable opportunities.

Rotherham not all in the game at all however probably were told by their manager to stop playing such timorously in the 2nd half. The proceedings changed indeed. We were dominant however not as much as in the first half. A couple of warning signs from Smith who threatened twice. First he easily outmuscled Chambers and second when the latter let the ball bounce and that allowed Smith to launch a shot.

Nolan was our brightest point. Good cooperation in midfield and constant forward thinking. Unlucky with his shot going wide.
Edwards' free kick impressively saved by Rodak too. But Rotherham began to threaten in the last 20 minutes. Forde's dangerous shot well saved by Bialkowski but the latter was unfortunately beaten in the final minute as the defence failed to kick the ball away from the penalty area.

Skuse and Chalobah today. The alleged system was 4-2-3-1 but Skuse spent almost entire game in front of Chalobah. Can't slate Skuse for his efforts but he isn't familiar with going forward. He had been living in the McCarthy's very comfort zone for a long time so it's not the best idea to play him further up the pitch as we need more energy and dynamic. But as I repeat he was quite active and involved in action given his new role, made a couple of good tackles, had a shot blocked and header going wide.
Chalobah though bar one bad moment from the second half where he was outmuscled by the opponent had a good afternoon. Despite playing a deeper role he was well involved in our attacking attempts and that is what you expect from defensive midfielder. Do basic duties and be involved in attacking when you can.
Perhaps if the roles had been reversed and Chalobah played in front of Skuse it may have been more fruitful.

Nolan was our MOTM for me and he'll be a hell of player for us as will Edwards. The latter very good in the first half however faded afterwards.

Chambers had a bad afternoon and it had to be debutant Nsiala to cover him in two critical moments in the second half. Perfect skipper, leader, talker..... yes. Long term future Hurst? A regular for next 2-3 years? Not sure.

Ward not a good afternoon either.

Nsiala decent debut. Good when winning the ball or being a nuisance for Smith. Poor distribution though.
Donacien not bad defensively but unable to bomb forward with the ball.

And our deliveries from corners...... very very poor !!!!! We had loads of corners and didn't take any advantage from it.

Rodak the Rotherham goalkeeper was their MOTM by far and they should thank him for his contribution.

-----------------

Given the time this team under Hurst will be fine and give us more joy than disappointment. Put the result aside and we've seen positive aspects today. We have seen the opponent having been firmly kept on their toes and worried of us. That's the significant change in compare to last seasons. We had seen us getting beaten by Rotherham in the past despite playing with three defensive midfielders or shutting the shop so all in all positive change today. Rotherham though become kind of bogey team for us.

Not sure about the Exeter match and our line-up. However as things stand anything out of the Villa and Derby matches will be a bonus so patience is required.

So good to see the Blue family after the summer break !!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Just home from what has been a bit of a disappointing trip, I see people are asking if there are any positives to be taken from today and my answer is absolutely. Yes we lost, yes it was to a very poor team who will struggle big time but all is not negative, not by any means. Strange as it may seem there was some very good individual performances from Town players today, the issue we have here and which most level headed fans realise is that at the moment we are a bunch of individuals thrown together and Paul Hurst now has to mould them into a team, that takes time, not Two or Three days, had we been outplayed and deserving of getting beat then I would be worried but I saw enough of certain players to know we will be fine.

Jon Nolan's class shone through after a slow opening Twenty minutes, he got better and better as the game wore on, Gwion Edwards is without doubt going to be our star, he is so skillfull and always looks to beat his man and get us on the front foot, Toto Nsiala had a really solid game at CB alongside Chambo who I also thought by and large stood up well to what was thrown at him, Chalobah has moments of brilliance too, his passing needs to improve at times but some of what he does is really impressive.

I thought for the first half we really did look the only team trying to go forward and create anything, from the opening couple of minutes we were pushing them back and looking lively in attack, Edwards found himself through early on but left the ball behind while not long after Ellis Harrison found himself through but tried to take it around the keeper instead of shooting and the chance was gone thanks to Rodaks outstretched arm, big chance gone.

Midway through the half Nolan appeared to be fouled in the box, something which I had no great view of at the time but the refereee was not interested, it was the first of Two strong appeals which were to go against us. It really had been all Town with Edwards & Donacien also having half chances which failed to trouble the keeper, despite our upper hand much of it was a bit disjointed at times, Harrison was finding tough against the man mountain that is Ajeyi and was often outmuscled off the ball. What was clear is that we werent playing the high pressing, closing down game again, something PH stressed was a big part of his plans.

It wasn't until the final few minutes of the hjalf that we actually saw Rotherham as an attacking force and even then it wasn't to cause any great panic to Bart in the Town goal, in fact just before HT Knudsen was close to giving us the lead only to see his low drive saved by Rodak. I felt we had had much the better of the first half exchanges as players strived to get to know one another but for the most part we looked solid while trying to play football.

The second half started with Skuse getting a header in on goal which rarely threatened the keeper, but the game had changed in as much as it was much more even and Town did not have so much of an upper hand as they had in the first half. There was little sign of any chances at either end, with s Quarter of the game to go Kayden Jackson was introduced for the shattered Harrison who had run his socks of tirelessly with little support at times. Rotherham were finally trying to make themselves known as an attacking force and Bart had to be alert to smother a shot from distance, at the other end Town came close to going ahead, a Nolan strike was closed down before Town were awarded a freekick for a foul just outside the box, Edwrads whipped in a lovely effort which was heading for the top corner only for the impressive Rodak to claw it away from under the bar. The final whistle was minutes away when Town were robbed of an absolute stonewall penalty which would in all probability have won us the game, sub Jordan Roberts made a clever run and picked up a peach of a pass from Chalobah only to be fouled by the Rotherham defender, it was a cert pen but nothing doing, the Town players and fans alike looked on in disbelief while Robers was insenced at the decision and as always it was one which was to come back to haunt us big time.

First Bart was called into action to save down low but moments later they are awarded a freekick out wide, with Town failing to get it away it falls kindly for Smith who turns it home, distraught doesn't come close to describing the feeling. There was just no time left for Town to even try to get back into it and the game was lost.

Were we great ? No we weren't, Did we deserve to win ? Yes as far as I am concerned we did, only one team looked like scoring for much of the game, little things like an accurate pass at the telling time or the right decision when clean through has cost us but we played some good stuff. No doubt the doubters will say it was only Rotherham and they would be right but as I say we have just thrown a team together and there are good signs there but we have to give it time, Fifteen games in will give us a better idea of how things will go not Two !!!

I would suggest Tuesday at Exeter may only be the carabao Cup but for me it is massive, a win is crucial for confidence and belief, I think we need to play a strong side to give them more game time together, it is disappointing today but we kinda thought days like this would happen and it has, sticking with the long term plan and not panicking at the first setback is what is required.

Bart (6) Donacien (6) Chambers (6) Nsiala (7) Knudsen (6) Chalobah (7) Ward (5) Skuse (6) Edwards (7) Nolan (7) Harrison (6)

SUBS :- Jackson (6) Edun (7) Roberts (6)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Thanks to both Mach and Bluemike for your individual reports which each gives us some encouragement and serves as a timely reminder that we may need to engage a degree of patience.

I just hope the boys “gel” sooner rather than later, and reading that the team played well and didn’t deserve to lose doesn’t become a feature of too many reports.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:48 am

One of those instances where you can forward random profanities and an urge to strike something within range, then realize there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Pissed off when learning what occurred today, took in game report from the mess that is TWTD and some analysis here, and applaud those who speak out as it seems. Not that it changes today's score but all told we had the majority possession, set-pieces and shots on goal and lose out in the closing seconds to some kid from the opposition taking it upon himself to score. One point from the two provided fixtures thus far is disappointing, even if we should have won today, the fact remains we have one point from six against opposition we should ideally be overcoming.

The minutes honor before play for the Chuckle brother was a nice touch. Poignant, but deserved etc. That's the only niceties I'll allow them right now, got f*cked over right at the end and should have won today. Yes it hurts but as others insist through assessment, it is only two games into a new season. Attacking options need some extra additions maybe, seems at times this club is crying out for two or three players in forward positions than can bring you goals regular enough. Waghorn was in that number, but just one individual. Now he's moved on, some rightly worry about where the goals will arrive from to make this a competitive season.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:17 am

They say that a really good team is made up of lots of little partnerships all over the pitch. It takes time to build those understandings. Despite losing I'm liking what I'm hearing and looking forward to having Huws back.

By the way, get Dozzell out on loan...

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
have to agree with one up front not working.

I was talking to BlueMike before the Blackburn game, and reiterated the 2 things I hate most in a football team:

1) playing 2 holding midfielders

2) playing only one up front

MM frequently did both, and one of the main reasons I was not keen on PH was because I knew he favoured the same. I thought we all wanted a change as far as management goes - seems to me we have replaced a former defending defensively-minded Yorkshireman with another former defending defensively-minded Yorkshireman.

Early days of course, but I hope to God that the bookies are not correct.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 am

Caption. "There,there, Stop crying....I know the ref has ruined your moment and booked you, but I told you not to jump in the crowd after scoring.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:59 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 am
derick_ipsw wrote:

I was talking to BlueMike before the Blackburn game, and reiterated the 2 things I hate most in a football team:

MM frequently did both, and one of the main reasons I was not keen on PH was because I knew he favoured the same. I thought we all wanted a change as far as management goes - seems to me we have replaced a former defending defensively-minded Yorkshireman with another former defending defensively-minded Yorkshireman.

I'm not sure the formation in its self is that important in how a team plays, it's more about what you ask players to do within a particular system. There is no way on this planet that Town would have had two thirds of the possession under MM even had he played 4 up front.

I've not seen the games but it does appear from what has been written on here, in the press, from highlights, stats and listening to PH and players that we do have a new manager with a different mindset to the previous one.

Also is the formation not the same as what man city play? (Before anyone says it I am not comparing the team to man city just making a point about formations) :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:03 am

We may set up as Two defensive Midfielders but Skuse was most definitely not playing deep in front of our own defence, he was the furthest forward at times than i have ever seen him, Chalobah too does move more forward than Skuse ever did in seasons past, so yes Ando i agree that it matters how you play that formation, not the formation itself, and aside from that by and large it worked for much of the game as we bossed it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:33 am

Just saw this elsewhere, nice touch.

Millers fan in peace 😊
Just want to say massive respect and a huge thank you to your travelling fans yesterday for their cooperation in the tribute to Barrie Chuckle. You were a class act and a tribute to your club.
We absolutely robbed you of the 3 points with the last minute winner and I wish you genuine Good luck for the rest of the season specially against Sheffield Washday. 👍👍👍👍👍👍

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:40 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:23 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:11 pm
IMO ... Yes... we could have done better at corners/free kicks. Many were meat and drink for GK and defenders.

Ward took the corners and I think that’s something for the training pitch.
Rotherham were a very big side. And the second bounce never fell kindly.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:00 am

rossi wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

Can we get rid of this guy? So negative. Fans like this are a bigger poison than McCarthy.

For anybody else interested, how many teams play 1 upfront now a days? Most of the very best teams play one up front, some play a false 9 with none up front.... (and I want no lazy replies about us not being a ‘top team’ as its all relative, from prem to Sunday league).
The idea of PH team is not to have one upfront. The wide men are wingers, not midfields. Nolan sits it the pocket just behind the striker. He want to commit lots of people to the attack, this is far more positive than simply having 2 up top.
And 2 defensive CM? Lazy. Lazy. Lazy. Skuse was in the box and on the edge of the box on countless occasions yesterday. He was not a defensively minded player, he was proper box to box. Chalobah in theory is the defensively minded CM, but the beauty of that is even though he sits deeper his vision and higher class means he can pick an attacking pass (and execute from a deeper position).
Yesterday wasn’t that impressive, but it was better football. You can see what they are trying to do and when they gel and the understanding develops we will pick up points. The only worry we should have is confidence, if the win isn’t here in the next 3 they may stater to doubt themselves, AND I know just what will help them with that, negativity, so let’s keep that up.

Yesterday Donacien had a good first half woeful second. Nsiala solid. Chambo solid. Knudsen woeful first half much better second. Chalobah what’s quality but caught out trying to be brave. Skuse was everywhere, fittest player out there. Nolan looks like he would fit in any championship side. Ward was average, doesn’t create enough but good position. Edwards has real quality and skill but was a little lightweight. Harrison works hard but not great decision making. Jackson was electric when he came on, unfortunate their CB was 6.6” and probably the quickest in the league. Edun has real quality, needs to start next game.
Then winning was a sucker punch. We were the better team but a draw fair as it just didn’t quite click in their box.
I’m anxious moving forward, hoping the anxiety doesn’t become worry. 5 points after 5 games should be the aim now with anymore being a bonus.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:26 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:00 am
rossi wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

Can we get rid of this guy? So negative. Fans like this are a bigger poison than McCarthy.

For anybody else interested, how many teams play 1 upfront now a days? Most of the very best teams play one up front, some play a false 9 with none up front.... (and I want no lazy replies about us not being a ‘top team’ as its all relative, from prem to Sunday league).
The idea of PH team is not to have one upfront. The wide men are wingers, not midfields. Nolan sits it the pocket just behind the striker. He want to commit lots of people to the attack, this is far more positive than simply having 2 up top.
And 2 defensive CM? Lazy. Lazy. Lazy. Skuse was in the box and on the edge of the box on countless occasions yesterday. He was not a defensively minded player, he was proper box to box. Chalobah in theory is the defensively minded CM, but the beauty of that is even though he sits deeper his vision and higher class means he can pick an attacking pass (and execute from a deeper position).
Yesterday wasn’t that impressive, but it was better football. You can see what they are trying to do and when they gel and the understanding develops we will pick up points. The only worry we should have is confidence, if the win isn’t here in the next 3 they may stater to doubt themselves, AND I know just what will help them with that, negativity, so let’s keep that up.

Yesterday Donacien had a good first half woeful second. Nsiala solid. Chambo solid. Knudsen woeful first half much better second. Chalobah what’s quality but caught out trying to be brave. Skuse was everywhere, fittest player out there. Nolan looks like he would fit in any championship side. Ward was average, doesn’t create enough but good position. Edwards has real quality and skill but was a little lightweight. Harrison works hard but not great decision making. Jackson was electric when he came on, unfortunate their CB was 6.6” and probably the quickest in the league. Edun has real quality, needs to start next game.
Then winning was a sucker punch. We were the better team but a draw fair as it just didn’t quite click in their box.
I’m anxious moving forward, hoping the anxiety doesn’t become worry. 5 points after 5 games should be the aim now with anymore being a bonus.

Spot on AB. It’s going to take time. I wonder if the Town fans will allow Hurst this time ?

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:37 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:26 am
AylesburyBlue wrote:
rossi wrote:

Spot on AB. It’s going to take time. I wonder if the Town fans will allow Hurst this time ?
The fans wil..... the moaners won’t. They would rather be ‘right’ and see us fail than be wrong and see us succeed.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:25 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
rossi wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

That's a very profound statement. Care to elaborate, for those of us that are not so follically blessed?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:36 am

Have a difference of opinion guys by all means, that is what the forum is about, all I ask as a Mod is to refrain form letting it descend into any kind of personal abuse, other than that, feel free.