Assessment of our new players - source HarryfromBath

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Assessment of our new players - source HarryfromBath

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 pm

Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Page: < previous1next >
Former Clubs’ Fans’ Assessments of (Most) of Our Arrivals….. 21:08 - Aug 9 with 923 views HarryfromBath

I thought it might be helpful to have a look at forums of all of the relevant clubs to see what they have said about each of our new acquisitions. Trying to work out how they fit in is quite a conundrum, so a few insights might prove helpful.

The running order is Toto Nsiala, Jon Nolan, Kayden Jackson, Janoi Donacien, Tayo Edun, Jordan Roberts and Gwion Edwards.

I have added an earlier summary from Bristol Rovers’ fans on Ellis Harrison at the bottom of the page and I apologize for the lack of information on Trevoh Chalobah as there was little Chelsea comment to be found on their youth players.

Apologies for it being a bit of a long read - a cup of tea might be in order before diving in. Finally, a huge word of thanks to Mullet for unearthing a stack of interesting comments from Fulham fans on Tayo Edun via Twitter…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Toto Nsiala is one of the best centre-backs in the league, if not the best in terms of quality”, “He’s big and strong, he wins a lot in the air for us and has been brilliant”, “He’s consistent, outstanding in the air, with a superb positional sense and fabulous pace”, “He also crops up with crucial goals.”

“Nsiala is much more than a stopper. His reading of the game, pace and tackling ability make him a formidable defender”, “He always puts a shift in”, “He still has the occasional rush of blood to the head and he needs to keep working on his distribution but he has been great this season.”

Shrews really rated his defending, but felt that his work with the ball could improve. “The key area that needs to improve is his distribution. Too many loose balls and he’s not confident to run forward with the ball across the halfway line in the way that (e.g.) Connor Goldson could do with ease.”

“If he is to step up and play at a higher level there is work for him to do but after some of the central defenders we’ve had recently, I’m happy if he sticks to being a solid defender and forgets about the attacking side of things”, “He should stop thinking he's a ball playing centre-back and concentrate.”

“Nsiala is a beast, but don't underestimate the role of Sadler in his growth as a player.” One ongoing theme was the importance of 33-year-old Mat Sadler as his centre-half partner. His experience was a huge factor Nsiala’s development and it’s hard not to see Luke Chambers playing a similar role here.

“How much of a better player is Toto with Sadler alongside him”, “He is a confidence player who listens to Sadler who's been there and done it. Oldham away was a perfect example, where we were under pressure. Toto buckled with a few fly hacks but a word from Mat and he was immense after.”

“Toto seems a great lad, a very grounded individual”, “If asked who were the best partnership at the club over the years, I'd say Sadler and Toto are right up there”, “He’s a fine player who hit a rich vein of form, absolutely immaculate defensively and his passing and ability on the ball are improving.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Jon Nolan is technically the best player I've seen in Blue and Amber”, “He has good ball skills and a quick-thinking footballing brain, and he sure does not flinch from a challenge either”, “He looks like he could hurt teams. He can ghost past defenders and he tries to make more killer forward passes.”

“He makes us tick and a is huge reason we are where we are”, “Just when I thought the concept of a box-to-box midfielder had disappeared, he arrives on the scene with a wide range of defensive and attacking skills. I still think a role behind the lone striker may yet prove to be his most effective.”

“Nolan is a fantastic player, composed on the ball and he has great vision and ability.” The words composure, vision and an ability to spot a pass were constantly repeated. “A real quality signing, composed, tenacious, a silky passer and someone who is excellent at doing the simple things well.”

Although a different midfielder to Brentford’s Ryan Woods, many Shrews put them on a similar level ability-wise. “Nolan looks better than Woods when he was with us. Woods was comfortable on the ball and nice to watch but never really hurt teams. Many of his passes went sideways or backwards.”

“It’s Woods for me at the moment. The reason is that when Nolan is having an off-day he's just not that good. He has been immense many times this season but he has also had a few shockers. He has got the lot and some real quality, I’m sure he will have a stellar career but he’s not quite there yet.”

Consistency did crop up a few times. “Nolan is too inconsistent to be anything more than a decent Championship player, at his best he looks far too good for this level though”, “He’s class on the ball most of the time and the best finisher at the club. He’s certainly better than any of the forwards.”

“Nolan would be an even better player with different types of players around him. If he could play a little deeper next to an out and out holding midfielder (as he often drops deep to pick up the ball and construct play) and then a goal scoring support striker ahead of him it would suit him better.”

“Nolan plays further forward than Woods and is expected to threaten teams more directly, he's even played in a No.10 role”, “He looks an absolute class player”, “The best player to play for Salop since Grant Holt”, “I think he'll go in the summer and it may well be to whoever Paul Hurst is managing.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“For my money Kayden Jackson is the best striker we had since our return to the league, we will end up getting some real serious dosh for the lad if he continues to show the form he’s displaying”, “I’m struggling to think of the last forward who had blistering pace”, “Very mobile and puts the effort in.”

“He didn't set the world alight on loan at Grimsby, he got two goals in 24 games”, “Grimsby played him on the wing. We’re playing him in his preferred position, that’s probably why. He certainly looks the part, his attempts are certainly there or thereabouts”, “The lad’s a main striker, not a winger.”

“Jackson's pace always a danger.” Pace, athleticism and industry are words which regularly cropped up when discussing him. “He reads the game well for one so young and is quite skilful”, “A totally positive player who works his socks off and causes defences trouble when he puts the burners on.”

“Jackson came and scored for fun but that has stopped.” He had a barren spell between October and mid-December which many fans put down to injury and poor form of creative suppliers. “We played 10 league and cup games since Jackson last scored, that's 15 hours of football without a goal.”

“Jackson is a worry for me. Too much finger pointing at others and throwing his arms around and his work rate was mediocre.” Towards the end of this run, fans sense his frustration in one game against Lincoln but seven goals in a five-game spell starting on Boxing Day sparked his resurgence in form.

“I fondly recall Kayden’s first goal that announced him to us all and the league on the opening day, a break from defence, held up and laid off by Billy Kee, and a defence splitting through ball to Jackson and a lightning burst of speed and finish”, “He is constantly giving defences all sorts of issues.”

“Jackson is a handful with his pressing. He looks dangerous and never gives defences peace.” The words “caused a lot of trouble for defences” or similar also occurred regularly, although many felt that he was at his most potent playing in a two-man attack beside former Burton striker Billy Kee.

“Kayden Jackson is a confidence player, but rather than have him on the wing he looks better up front with an experienced strike partner alongside him”, “The Kee - Jackson partnership are major cogs in our success”, “Kee and Jackson link up and work well, they look lethal combining up front.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Janoi Donacien is big, strong skilful and brave”, “I am a Donacien fan, but I do think he needs to be playing much further up. He can put balls in to the strikers with pin point accuracy at pace”, “I would like to see Donacien play right wing further up”, “He has looked the part playing as a wing-back.”

Accrington fans have a high regard for our new signing, but they see him very much as an attacking right-back and if he has any additional role in the side it’s further up on the right flank. “He’s brilliant when he is forward on the wing. He’s better playing in a forward role, pumped some great balls in.”

“The Don is better in a forward role, the source of much of our counter-attacking on the right”, “I am always impressed by his overlapping”, “He spreads play wide working with the centre midfielders, he can put top quality balls into the box. I think he would be better played out on the right up front.”

“Donacien had a nightmare at left back, I’m not sure why he was playing there as I thought he was a natural right back”, “He was awful when playing at left-back. His passing was woeful and his decision making was a good few seconds slower than any of the other players on the pitch.”

“I hope Donacien starts on the right this time.” He has been moved to left-back on a number of occasions at Stanley and the switch has never been successful. “The Don playing out of position? Christ, it's like sticking a Rolls Royce engine to a tricycle. In theory it should go faster but it won't.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see Tayo Edun scored for Ipswich today. “I'm pleased for Edun, he's a good promising player”, “I was delighted for Edun but it did look a bit of a freak goal, hit from distance not exactly hard and missed by the defenders. No matter they all count and it will do a lot for his confidence.”

“I’m delighted for Tayo, I think this season could do wonders for him.” Cottagers highly rate our new loan signing, but many want him to nail down one specific position as his versatility could ultimately hold him back. The consensus seems to be that he will ultimately flourish in a holding midfield role.

“He is definitely seen as more of a holding midfielder and playing with Andre Dozzell for the England U19s I believe in the centre. He can also play left-back but future is in a central defensive midfield role. He played one Championship game (a decent performance) but mostly in the Carabao Cup.”

“His profile on the club website says: ‘comfortable operating anywhere on the left, either as a full-back or wide midfielder’ but I always thought he was more of a defensive midfielder. He impressed me with his positioning and discipline”, “More of a holding midfielder than a Ryan Sessegnon kind.”

“Tayo is a definite prospect. I wouldn’t say he’s brilliant at the moment but he is very versatile and can do a job”, “I don't think he will start but should definitely get minutes, as he doesn't have much first team experience. He's talented enough to play his way into most Championship squads.”

“He’s a breath of fresh air, the enthusiasm of youth coupled with the confidence in his own ability. He certainly caught the eye”, “Right now I think he’s possibly a bit small, especially for the Premier League, but he’s a great passer of the ball who likes to get forward from the centre of midfield.”

“A good little player, he was in the Team of the Tournament as England won U19 Euros. He came through as a left back but settled down as a decent deep midfielder. A nice left foot, a comfortable distributor and an efficient player. I rate his passing and he is so calm and comfortable on the ball.”

“Edun has great potential but often plays like he doesn’t give a ****”, “One thing that maybe needs looking at is the fact that he has been sent off three times playing for England”, “Shrewsbury almost signed him on January deadline day on loan but it fell through, so Hurst will know all about him.”

“He needs games to be certain of his best role.” There is wide agreement about this. “He works his socks off but needs game-time”, “He has real potential. He needs games but could definitely have what it takes to be top class. He is more box to box than an attacking midfielder, but he’s still developing.”

“A versatile player who can player as a number 6 or 8, or anywhere down the left and centre of the midfield. Great engine, great potential and will be a solid signing for Ipswich. He looks quality passing and ball retention is spot on. He reminds me of a young Scott Parker and he gets around the pitch.”

“He’s a great ball playing left back or left midfielder, talented with good passing ability and agility”, “In one lovely moment he had two defenders marking him near their left corner flag. He did a couple of drag backs and turned them both inside out, delivering a useful cross to finish. Great skills.”

“He’s tough, and energetic, a tidy little player who is very good defensively and has a unique style on the ball”, “He was thrown in at the deep end against Derby’s midfield of Ledley and Huddlestone and he really shone, energetic midfielder with a lot of room to grow still. He’s highly rated for a reason.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Not being able to command a transfer fee for Jordan Roberts does look as though the management made an error with his contract negotiations, although if a player wants to leave it is best they go”, “The club missed a trick by not selling Roberts in January. Letting him go clearly looks like an error.”

Crawley fans regret not having been able to command a fee for the winger who switched to Town on a free transfer in July. That said, some have their doubts. “It will be interesting to see if he really has it in him to actually manage bigger and better things and whether or not we've scored an own goal.”

“The [Crawley] Argus reported that Shrewsbury were in for Roberts in January. It is strange how we turned down the bid and hardly play him second half of the season. We then released him on a free at the end of season without offering a new deal”, “I can’t see him starting many games for Ipswich.”

“To be honest, I felt that Roberts could have been mentally stronger. He would break a finger nail and convince himself that he wasn’t fit to play”, “He has ability when he can be bothered or isn’t injured”, “He offers quality at times but often flatters to deceive", “He’s consistently inconsistent.”

“When Roberts was focussed he looked a good player. However, I felt that during last season he was looking for fouls too often and would fall rather than continue his runs”, “He possibly ‘looks for fouls’ rather than out-and-out dives”, “He has ability but can be lazy even at the best of times.”

“Last season he was a winger playing out of position for the good of the team.” Although widely described as a winger he often covered as a striker or central playmaker last year. “He chased down everything but seems to suit a more counter-attacking game running in behind or at the defence.”

“I am a fan of Jordon Roberts but he’s not a central striker”, “He’s not a striker, but he knows how to score if played up front”, “He scored a couple of cracking goals this season”, “He has a lovely leap off the ground and will win a lot of headers running onto the ball”, “One of our best players in the air.”

“Roberts tends to win headers when playing wide against fullbacks”, “He divides opinion but he can head a ball. We have all watched him when he was on the wing and many a time winning headers and flicking the ball on almost every time”, “Fighting for long balls is not a Roberts strength at all.”

“Over last two seasons there have been a high number of 1-v-1’s where he had no composure, often going around the keeper and getting himself in a muddle. He plays with his head down so he often won’t see the simple pass, although long range power shooting and crossing are his main strengths.”

“Roberts plays in purple patches but he tends to be selfish”, “He can put in fantastic freekicks but the thing with him is he has no right foot, so he has to do that funny 'Billy Clarke shuffle' to get on the left peg”, “Anyone that scouts us will know that keeping him on his right foot will nullify him.”

“I can’t see Roberts starting many games for Ipswich”, “He’s not good or consistent enough for a lower mid-table League Two club - we never even offered a contract, remember - and yet he gets a Championship move. Football's a funny game, but good luck to him at Ipswich.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Gwion Edwards scores after four minutes of his Ipswich debut, a nice far post header on the edge of the six-yard box”, “Gwion was undoubtedly the man-of-the-match, one flick and run in the second half was sublime.” Peterborough fans kept close tabs on how our new winger fared on Saturday.

“Gwion can beat a man and create”, “Actually seeing a player with the intent to take on a man, beat him and then look to set something up is refreshing”, “He adds something no other individual can, genuine pace that terrifies defences at all levels, something that makes him a real fan favourite.”

“Many of his goals come from headers (a mean feat given that he’s 5 foot 9), his knack of ghosting into the right place at the right time creates chances aplenty for his side and most notably, his searing pace and direct dribbling mean he is a lethal weapon going forward.”

He started 25 league games for Peterborough last season but an ankle injury sustained at Fleetwood sidelined him between December and March. “His leaving is a double-edged sword for me. He’s a crucial but his getting injured and leaving us missing him desperately is a disaster every season.”

“In February 2017 we had to endure the sickening sight of Edwards leaving the field on a stretcher during a shambolic defeat to Walsall. Whilst the injury kept him out for eight weeks as opposed to the eight months that was initially suspected, it was still a season-ender for Gwion.”

“I honestly think that if he is fully fit, Gwion will be the biggest loss.” His injury record is a concern. “A common theory behind Gwion’s woeful injury record is due to the nature of his game. Explosive runs and quick turns on his low centre of gravity mean strains and twists are pretty frequent.”

“We play with more width due to Gwion”, “He adapted when we switched to the wing-back role. The exciting attacking play from his debut season continued and he didn’t buckle under the added defensive pressure that this unfamiliar position required.”

“Edwards will be dearly missed and as delighted I am for him to take a step up, I am gutted that it couldn’t be with us. I’m willing to bet that if Edwards stays injury free, he will be a successful Championship player.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you missed it, here is my earlier Ellis Harrison summary...

Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… by HarryfromBath 25 Jul 22:19
I thought it might be helpful to piece together the views of the Pirates on our new striker, whose arrival was confirmed on Monday. The Newport-born man and Wales U21 international came up through the Rovers youth system and made his debut for the club in 2011.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“This is a bit of a shock. I thank him, wish him well and hope he's earning a decent pay increase”, “He has improved hugely over the last 18 months and was a very important player for us last season. He will take some replacing”, “It’s a good time for him to try and kick on at a higher level”, “Good luck Ellis, you have done us proud and deserve your chance. We are poorer and weaker without you.”

The was a genuine outpouring of affection when news of his transfer broke. Harrison has been with the club through it’s odyssey down to the National League and back up to League One. He secured his place in Pirates’ folklore for his equalizing goal in the Wembley Play-Off final against Grimsby.

“Without that Wembley goal we could still be stuck in non-league. Who knows. At times you carried the team on your shoulders last season and showed us signs of the player you could be. I suspect there is better to come. You can walk out the club with your chest out and your head held high.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I have been his biggest critic, simply because I knew he had all the talent, but he didn't show it enough. Last season he was brilliant though and he is going to be hard to replace”, “His development has been in fits and starts. However, he did develop into an integral member of our squad.”

Harrison has taken time to blossom. “One of the most frustrating players we've had for a long while if I'm honest. You always knew he had it in him but he was too inconsistent and didn't help himself at times. It was brilliant to see him finally show his potential last season and IMO he was our POTS.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ellis brought goals and assists last season whilst playing upfront in his own as well as his high work rate and decent defending at set pieces”, “He works hard chasing the ball down and causing issues for the opposition”, “Pace, power, good in the air and on the ground and an improving finisher.”

“I will never forget the way he could strike terror into the opposition defence by sprinting at them from halfway across the field only to leap in front of them and win the ball with his head. He has become more confident in his own strength and physical presence, learning to use his pace better.”

Harrison has been singled out for praise for his industry, athleticism and ability to contribute at both ends of the pitch. The feeling is that his ability as a finisher has only started to come to the fore as he has grown in athleticism and experience, and he could really push on in the next few years.

“His work-rate last season was top notch and his goals were just starting to match his ability as a player”, “He is still very raw in my eyes. Pretty good defensively and has scored some fantastic goals in his career with us. His final ball can lack quality but has improved as each season has passed.”

“Good luck Ellis, I hope it works out for you. thanks for the magic, not forgetting your sterling work in defence”, “We will miss his work-rate and helping out defending”, “He cleared many set pieces from our penalty area, a great many more than our central defenders often managed to clear.”

“We’ll miss Ellis for his all-round contribution although he not yet a natural finisher”, “The one player we looked for that bit of magic from. I still remember ‘that’ debut goal when he cut in from the left and from corner of the box he hit a belter into far top corner, the joy on his young face!”

“His hold up play improved greatly and he developed a much keener eye for scoring opportunities. He isn't the finished article yet but he is progressing towards that”, “He was very good super sub, stretching oppositions defences late in games and even scoring a fair few goals too off the bench.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting Ellis Harrison will tell you what a kind, caring and genuine person he is. A far cry from the stereotypical modern-day footballer. It’s easy to forget that this lad is still just 24. I hope he goes on to fulfil his potential”, “Absolutely brilliant with young fans.”

“A massive part of a very positive dressing room.” Pirates were quick to praise his contribution away from the pitch in the dressing room and with supporters.

“A couple of years ago at one of the open days, me and my kids were standing in line to get player autographs, absolutely scorching hot, my daughter was moaning that she was thirsty but she didn’t want to leave the queue. Harrison clocks what’s going on and pulled her out of the queue, gave her his drink and got all the lads to sign her autograph book!! She still tells her friends about it now.”

“A massive part of a very positive dressing room”, “A lovely lad, a bit "daft" but he’s a real cog in the great team spirit we've got here and he will be missed”, “Your next dressing room will become a happier place because of your infectious spirit. Don't let them coach all the fun out of your game.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Go bag four at the gate please son!”, “The best accolade I can give you is that I have enjoyed watching you play. All your goals, hard work, determined defence work, chasing lost causes and being a great lad will stand you in good stead for wherever you end up.”

One thing which can be guaranteed is that his progress will be keenly followed. “He has been there from the roller coaster journey from League Two tfo the Conference to League Two and to League One and he feels like a part of the family to me.”

“I love the lad, one of the nicest guys we’ve had play for the club and he thoroughly deserves his opportunity to show what he’s got in the Championship. I hope he emulates Marcus Stewart and goes on to shine for the Tractor Boys. Good luck Ellis.”

arana peligrosa

Re: Assessment of our new players - source HarryfromBath

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:03 am

Feel I must applaud the club for getting things done. Previous occasion we've sat around with our thumbs up our asses until the eleventh hour to conclude business. This time we've been busy but say again the majority of the new names are indeed unrecognized, I hope we can provide a cohesive unit and the players adjust to their surroundings in enough time.

Bottom line it provides some enthusiasm and hope for the coming season. I'm not expecting these names to be an overnight success but seems they got their share of plaudits and people speak highly although the true test will be in the months ahead. I don't know much we've paid out in total for these services and there's going to be loan deals involved in with it, but this could /should be a route to better things in the time ahead.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am

Bottom line. That ^^^ was a f**king Stephen King novel FFS!

https://youtu.be/6gLMSf4afzo

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Rather long lol, I will probably read it the next time Sears steadies himself to shoot.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Lol sudduppa yer faces you lot :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm very pleased with Hurst's acquisitions. I've always felt we should look to the lower leagues for talent as many of us did. The benefits of Hurst in charge have certainly paid off in that regard...with his experience in the lower leagues etc. Many of the transfers are young, quick, hungry players. It's exactly what a rebuilding team needs.

I'm very positive for the future!

COYB!!!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Really interesting stuff, great read thanks.

So hope this is a dawn of a new exciting and successful era

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Imagine actually being with Harry at the pub? It’d be like, “Ok, Harry. HARRY! I need to pee. Hold that next sentence. Take a rest, buddy.”

Just joking, Hallam. Will definitely read on Sunday morning. Everything is “Easy on a Sunday morning!”
Especially after the Rotherham 0 Ipswich 4 match report. :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 pm

If we win 4-0 Marko I am going to do a match report that long !! :D :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:03 pm

And I will enjoy every single word of it! Promise!
:D

Remember and be very detailed with the Edwards Hatrick!