CHANT

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Domhide

CHANT

Post by Domhide » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 am

COME ON TOWN

WE CAN STILL STAY UP

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: CHANT

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:38 pm

And your point is ?

Domhide

Post by Domhide » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 pm

The point I make is that we are here again in the same place / with the same ambitions / hopes and false expectations when the reality is surely that we can only expect to stay up. Once folk understand that then maybe the positive (rather than negative) atmosphere will prevail and the team may benefit and finish in the top half. The Manager will have committed to 'goals' for the season - i would love to know what they are.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Why are we in the same place with the same expectations? We are in a totally different place with a young and ambitious manager , virtually a new team of young and hungry players who will be exciting to watch, a promise of better and entertaining football for us fans.

Not sure if you experienced it but the atmosphere was fantastic against Blackburn and will be superb tomorrow, that is our part in all this and all PH has asked of us, to get behind the team and give them time, I think that is more than fair.

We all wanted a completely new direction etc and that's what we are getting, I made a point that some fans will moan about everything and anything no matter what and those that were loudest in MM's time will be the first to moan about the new set, it's how it works, you mention committed to goals and where are they? Who's to say qe aren't going to score plenty ? Two in the first game was a decent enough start so don't get your point really. At least wait until we have something to complain about surely?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:50 pm

You can see the authors perspective here, it's been a sh*t last few years and we haven't made nowhere the progress under previous names we should or could have, but hoping for something better than a mere survival chance this time around is stretching it a little. Even the more pessimistic of fans would hope for something better, fair enough I include myself in that number.

Let's be realistic about this, or what this season can feasibly offer. We're unlikely to see a promotion or even be in the top six by the end week of the season come May but at least give it a go and allow the new kids and Hurst their opportunity to achieve. It's without doubt that just about everyone and anyone who follows this club regular enough and keeps up with events is dog tired about the inability to recapture EPL status once again and remaining among the also-rans at the business end of the season. Hurst being appointed wasn't first choice for many but the decision was made, if we can't dictate the choice we may as well support him.

Not sure what the chant issue is, we're not going to be sitting around like Shoshu Buddhists for the main part of it, I think maybe he envisages the fans rising in unison providing enough vocal support to assist a worthwhile season ahead. But, if you are intent on viewing a survival struggle being the main course in the long months ahead then maybe you need to brighten up a little. f*ck me all this from a depressant, but seriously there's been enough gray cloud over this team for long enough, maybe time for a more uplifting approach in the weeks and months ahead.

If it (does indeed) all turns to sh*t by seasons end then more power to you, but you got to stay focused and believe in better.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Could be wrong but I think Domhide may have meant goals in the "achievement" sense.

And if you did mean that, Dom; the 27 minute long PH interview touches on what his goals are. Worth a look. Forgot where the link is but it's in here somewhere.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 pm

id say this is a totally different direction we are in. Its no the "same old" which we got rid of. We could have carried on and then it really would have been just like the last few. I am really excited, not because I think we will get promoted or anything like that, but because we are starting a NEW project, that could take 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, it might even fail but the unknown is what makes football exciting. My issue in the last few seasons is very few things have been unknown, its been groundhog day. Id take the players we have signed over championship journeymen every day of the week, yes we have turned a profit but ME has backed his man in bringing signings in. I have no issue with anything we have done, id have perhaps liked to keep Waghorn but if by selling him we can bring in 3 players its a no brainer.

Cmon people lets at least give it a chance. I am more excited than I have been for a few year now

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:21 pm

My sentiments exactly.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Think Charlton hit the nail

Most supporters wanted a change, different direction. Well i think everybody got to agree we couldn't of really headed in much different direction surely.

Some comments made me laugh a little like PH spending more than MM did in his years here, and something about MM couldn't attract the players PH has brought in. Well i do believe its MM buying in Waggy, Webster and Garner that made these signings possible. MM had a good eye on players also and yes he brought in some dire players also, but he certainly brought in some that have gone for huge profit.

MM has left and i'm excited with our future, PH sounds very level headed, he is young and ambitious and so are the players hes bringing in so sorry i cant really see your point Domhide

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:05 pm

That's a very valid point regarding Mm bringing in all those players that have gone for big money, not everything he did was bad or wrong but people have short memories, he lost his way, there is no doubt about that and change had to happen but he shouldn't go down as the pariah many Town fans made him into.

Domhide

Post by Domhide » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:31 pm

When I first opened this stream I was misunderstood and perceived as being a pessimist. Now I am thinking I should be applauded as an optimist. Someone in another stream commented that the only way from here is UP. Sorry to pour chill water on that notion but we could slide into the past - the First division these days is not like it was when we were last there. :astroll: