Exeter City vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Time for a Win huh?

Exeter City Win
40%
Ipswich Town Win
40%
Extra Time
20%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Exeter City vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Image Exeter City vs Ipswich Town Image

Tuesday 14th August 2018 – 19:45

St James Park

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

A Wake Up Call

It's often said that you don't always get what you deserve and that Football can be a cruel game, well both points were never more evident than at The New York Stadium, Rotherham on Saturday. In a game where Town had much of the play and won most of the stats they fell to a sucker punch 90th minute strike from Michael Smith to send us home pointless and bitterly disappointed. It has to be said though that we still have much to improve on, that cannot be denied but it is also clear what we are trying to do and how PH is attempting to change things around, it will take a bit of time, we all knew that before the commencement of the season so we don't need the panic and negativity kicking in just yet.

Saturdays line up saw all Nine new signings play a part and that is a big gamble but one which ultimately will glean results, considering Nolan, Nsiala & Jackson had barely even met their teammates I think it went quite well, understandings need to be allowed to develop all over the pitch, One training session is nowhere near enough so in that respect we did really well. As I stated before there were a few good individual performances but the "team" has to be molded, even players like Cole Skuse are now being asked to do something completely different to what he has built a career on and again it doesn't happen overnight. The upshot of it all though is that we have a solitary point from Two games against teams who have just come up, I must admit I expected minimum of Four and with some tough fixtures coming up it is not the start we were all hoping for.

The Loan Market

Paul Hurst has made it clear that he needs to get it right in the next couple of weeks where our remaining loans are concerned and he is absolutely spot on. For me I would still love to see us go back for Curtis Tilt, we definitely need another Cb and as we spent most of the Summer trying to get him why not go that extra mile ? It didn't go unnoticed that Tilt was once again missing from Blackpool's match day squad on Saturday, interesting to say the least. With the situation regarding Janoi Donacien being classed as a loan until his clearance comes through Hurst has stated he will most likely only go for Two more so with a CB being one the other just has to be another Striker, this time however I feel we need one with proven Championship experience and a bit of a been there done that type of player to take some of the extra burden off the inexperienced lads, quite where we find this I don't know but I am sure Hurst will have his targets.

Players going out on loan is a big talking point and I have to be honest this is an area that I am not agreeing with Paul Hurst over, to send Nydam and or Dozzell out on loan disappoints me, he has said he doesn't think it is right for Dozzell at this time but to even be considering it leaves me a bit bemused, the lad can get his fitness up to speed here and with his undoubted quality it should be us bennefitting from it. Nydam impressed me pre season and if anyone bought into the work ethic and high pressing game that Hurst likes to play it has been Trystan so again I am a bit disappointed if he does go out on loan. I fully get that we have too many Midfield players but taking into account the rate we get injuries we will need back ups. As far as I am concerned it is crucial to get Emyr Huws back and in the match day squad, he is real quality and our best box to box Midfielder although with the arrival of Jon Nolan even that becomes difficult. I think Tom Adeyemi is a spent force who we will not see in a Town first team shirt again and if it was up to me Teddy Bishop & Danny Rowe would be Two that I would be sending out on loan not our up and coming youth players.

Up For The Cup

When Paul Hurst arrived at Ipswich he made it clear that he would be taking the cups seriously and not just throwing out a reserve side so with that in mind I am making the long long haul to Exeter Tuesday evening confident that for once it will be a worthwhile trip, that said I think we can make some changes that won't weaken us too much and should still be a team good enough to see us progress, Jason Roberts, Kayden Jackson, Freddie Sears, Flynn Downes, Tayo Edun, Myles Kenlock etc etc may well see some actionbut as all are viewed as first teamers that is fine with me, this cup often sees numerous cup shocks and god knows we have been on the receiving end of a few ourselves, hopefully this time St James park will not present Sky Sports news with a big story on the night.

I also think this takes on bigger importance than it normally would as we need a Paul Hurst victory in a competitive fixture, the longer the winless run goes the tougher it becomes and pressure mounts on the lads, this is a great opportunity to break that duck and we need to take it, defeat would only provide more ammunition to the negative few who seem to quite enjoy it when things don't go well, I never quite understand that myself but it is the way it is so for a change this cup really does matter. I think Town will finally have a better evening Tuesday and I see us taking our place in the Second Round draw, just don't expect it to be plain sailing, it never is !!! COYB'S

The Opposition – Exeter City

Exeter City F.C. was formed from two predecessor clubs, Exeter United F.C. and St Sidwell's United. Exeter United was a football club from Exeter, Devon, that played between 1890 and 1904. In 1904, Exeter United lost 3–1 to local rivals St Sidwell's United and after the match it was agreed that the two clubs should become one. The new team took the name 'Exeter City' and continued to play at Exeter United's ground, St James Park, where Exeter City still play today. Exeter United was formed from the cricket team of the same name and were one of the first football teams with the moniker 'United'. St Sidwell's United (which had also been known as St Sidwell's Wesleyans and St Sidwell's Old Boys) was a club that had formed from the regulars who frequented the Foresters Inn in Sidwell Street, Exeter, although the public house was always known as the Drum and Monkey. The team played in St Sidwell's old colours of green and white.

On 10 September 1904, Exeter City played its first ever competitive match, a 2–1 victory at St James over 110th Battery of the Royal Artillery, in the East Devon League. The attendance was 600, and the winning goal scored by Sid Thomas, who was to serve the club in various capacities for 70 years. City topped the East Devon League with 11 wins, two draws, one defeat in its first season, and transferred to the Plymouth & District League for next three seasons.

In 1908, Exeter City A.F.C. became a limited company. City became a full-time professional team, and applied successfully for membership of the Southern League, replacing Tottenham Hotspur. A wooden grandstand was erected, and the club entered into a leasing arrangement over the ground.
City changed to its current colours of red and white in 1910. This was after having had a poor start to the season (only two wins out of 11). City abandoned its supposedly unlucky green and white kit, and turned out for the first time in red and white striped shirts at home to West Ham United on 12 November. The result of the game was a 0–0 draw, but five consecutive league wins came for the club in December.

City's historic first match in the Football League took place on Saturday 28 August 1920, when Brentford was the visiting team to St James Park. Exeter won 3–0.

In the 1963–64 season, City achieved their first ever promotion, going up to Division Three. However, City were relegated just two seasons later. It wasn't until 1977 that they would return to Division Three, under the guidance of Bobby Saxton.

The end of the 1970s and the very early 1980s were regarded as City's most successful spell in the Third Division, including a finish of 8th in 1979–80 and an FA Cup run the following season. Star players included Tony Kellow, John Delve and David Pullar.

City's only major trophy so far has been the Fourth Division Championship which it won in 1990. In that season, City won 20 league games at St James Park, and remained undefeated in 31 home matches, including dramatic draws against Norwich City in the FA Cup third round and Sunderland in the League Cup 4th round, both of which featured late equalisers for the visitors.

Following that promotion, City rarely shone at the higher level. There were some successes but ultimately Exeter were relegated again.

Back in the bottom division, City struggled for nearly a decade, with chairman Ivor Doble taking the club into administration and starting a chain of events that resulted in the sale of the club's ground. In November 1994, the club almost went out of business and sold its stadium to Beazer Homes for a sum of £650,000, but were able to stay there after the local council took it over. After nearly two years on the brink of closure, the club came out of administration on 1 August 1996, although the problems on the field were far from over.

In 2003, City finished 23rd in Division Three and was relegated to the Conference National; Exeter were the first club to suffer automatic relegation without finishing bottom of the league. City won their last game against Southend United 1–0, but were still relegated as Swansea City's victory over Hull City left the Grecians one point short of safety.

Following relegation to the Conference, the club was taken over by the Exeter City Supporters' Trust, purchasing a majority shareholding on 5 September 2003. In May 2007 two of the Directors who had been in charge during season 2002–2003 were convicted of fraudulent trading at the club, John Russell receiving a prison sentence and Mike Lewis a community service sentence.

Several million pounds in debt and with no big investor in sight, the Trust kept the club going through fund-raising activities amongst rank-and-file supporters. Complex legal arguments with both Inland Revenue and football authorities meant that City's first season of non-league football was plagued by off-the-field uncertainty. The claim was finally dropped in June 2004.

In 2004, a Creditors Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) was put in place to reduce the club's debts. Through the club's "Red or Dead" scheme, hundreds of fans pledged at least £500 each to fund the CVA repayments, but the FA Cup proved to be the income boost the Grecians had needed, as City was drawn Manchester United away in the third round of the FA Cup. City drew 0–0 at Old Trafford in January 2005, gaining £653,511 as City's share of receipts from the 67511 attendance. Further income from a televised replay—won 2–0 by United]—coupled with ongoing fund-raising and unpaid work from the club's supporters helped the club to repay its debts, and the CVA was cleared in December 2005.

City's first team finished the 2006–07 season in fifth place, qualifying for the play-offs. After beating Oxford United on penalties in the semi-final, City met Morecambe at Wembley in the final, where they lost 2–1 despite taking an early lead.

Exeter reached the play-off final in the following season; this time Exeter looked to be heading out of the play-offs after losing the first leg of the semi-final at home to local rivals Torquay United 2–1, but came back to win the second leg 4–1 with 3 goals in the last 20 minutes. In the final Exeter met Cambridge United in front of a Conference play-off record crowd of 42,511, winning 1–0 with a goal from Rob Edwards, earning promotion to League Two.
The club followed its success in the Conference by finishing as runners up to Brentford in League Two. A goal from Richard Logan helped Exeter to win promotion to League One with a 1–0 win away to Rotherham United on the last day of the season.

2009–2010 was Exeter's 45th season in the third tier of English football. They have played more seasons in the third tier than any club who have never reached the top two tiers. They survived their first season at this level for 16 years by one point; an 82nd-minute Ryan Harley goal against Huddersfield Town on the final day of the season saw Exeter overcome the promotion chasers 2–1 and relegated Gillingham in the process.

Following such a strong season, hopes were high for the 2011–12 season, but poor away form (with just two wins away from home all season) saw Exeter relegated to League Two. Relegation was confirmed on 28 April 2012, following a 4–1 defeat away to Carlisle United.

The club remains owned by its fans, through the Exeter City Supporters Trust. During the 2012–2013 season saw Exeter have a marginally successful season, spending the season travelling up and down the top half of the season from 1st place to 10th. Exeter set new club record for away wins in a single season, winning 11 of their 23 fixtures away from home. City had one of the highest away win percentage of the season however disappointing home form lead them to fall into the playoff positions only to see a poor end-of-season run leaving them to fall into 10th position; despite their earlier automatic promotion and then reestimated playoff ambitions. Tisdale claimed that injuries were to blame for City missing out on the play-offs.

At the end of the 2012–13 campaign, poor funds and lack of income lead to an unfortunate squad trim with boss Paul Tisdale having to let go many key players.

In 2013–2014, Exeter participated in Football League Two and the Football League Cup, but they were eliminated in the First Round of the competition by Queens Park Rangers. In the FA Cup Exeter City were knocked out by Peterborough United in the First Round. In the League 2 season, Exeter finished in 16th.

The Grecians finished tenth in League Two in 2014–15, their play-off push just falling short in the final few weeks.

City finished in 14th position in 2015–16, a season that included a memorable 2–2 draw against Premier League Liverpool in the FA Cup.

In the 2016–17 season, City started badly, and were bottom of the league by November. However, a turnaround in form saw Exeter finish 5th in the league, and earn a playoff spot. Following a thrilling 3–3 draw in the first leg of the semi-final at Carlisle, the second leg, tied at 2–2, looked destined to go to extra time. But, in the 95th minute, Jack Stacey's long range shot with his weak foot fired Exeter into the final, earning them a spot at Wembley. The final took place on 28 May, and Exeter faced Blackpool. Their hopes for promotion were shattered when they conceded a goal within 3 minutes, and although they equalised, City eventually lost the game 2–1.

On 1 June 2018, Exeter announced that, after 12 years as manger, Paul Tisdale had decided not to sign a new contract with the club, which announced that Matt Taylor, a former captain and Under 23 team coach, had been appointed manager.

The Manager – Matt Taylor

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Form Guide

Exeter City Last Few Matches

August 11th Morecambe 0 vs Exeter City 2

August 4th Exeter City 3 vs Carlisle United 1

Ipswich Last Few Matches

August 11th Rotherham 1 vs Ipswich Town 0

August 4th Ipswich Town 2 vs Blackburn Rovers 2

Match Referee – Brett Huxtable

EXETER CITY 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Dubai Blue

Re: Exeter City vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:31 am

Great preview as always.

I think we will boss this one but personally would like to see a strong side starting.

However this first cup game is always a difficult one as most of the team are not yet game hardened after pre-season and some will have had some soreness after the Millers game that will need to settle down before next weekend. For that reason even though I don't like it I suspect that most of BlueMike's changes are likely to be starters. I would prefer the regular starters to be starting and building those understandings but they are not superhuman and need to be managed over the first few games if we are not going to have another injury crisis.

Still think we should be okay for this one though.....

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:26 am

DB I think you’re absolutely spot on.

This is as good an opportunity as it gets to play PH’s first choice starting X1 and for the players to get an extra 90 mins playing time together ahead of the Villa game on Saturday.

Let’s hope PH sees it the same way, and if we get through to the next round we get another 90 mins game experience too, all good preparation for the Championship.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:11 am

:astroll: I think Exeter will be too strong for us and will have a comfortable win, its no good controlling the game for 70 minutes and not scoring like the Rotherham game, so its another early exit for Town I'm afraid, the Exeter strikers are firing on all cylinders.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm

well, having been told yesterday that I am a stain on this forum, I might as well live up to it.

Exeter 2 - Ipswich 0

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:45 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm
well, having been told yesterday that I am a stain on this forum, I might as well live up to it.

Exeter 2 - Ipswich 0
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Never a stain Rossi, always a w*nk sock :wink: I dont often comment on your posts, but do enjoy them.

Despite the poor start, im going for a hard fought 2-1 win, with a 89th minute winner

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Excellent preview and this from the final paragraph in the opening thought: -----> I also think this takes on bigger importance than it normally would as we need a Paul Hurst victory in a competitive fixture, the longer the winless run goes the tougher it becomes and pressure mounts on the lads, <------- very true and very significant fixture. A convincing win would be awesome, but a win will definitely do.

Exeter will no doubt be well up for this and these lower clubs see this Cup as a potential cash boost for the season....... 2nd or 3rd round, drawing a big name. Definitely part of their preseason plan. So it won't be a walk in the (St James') park. Going for 2-1 Ipswich Town in 90minutes.

Very comprehensive summary of Exeter City in the opposition section. That picture of the ground though. Were there Tree & Hedge workers due in to do a bit of digging on the morning of construction but they didn't show up?
Construction worker: Hey gaffer, it's half 10. Still no sign of the gardeners.
Site foreman: Fk it. Build the stand off centre to the left.

Red caption:

Linesman: You want to see the VAR, ref?
Ref: Fkn shove yer VAR up yer erse, pal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Find it surprising that the club has never appeared in a Final event since it's inception in 1961 or whenever it were, considering some of the great sides we've assembled during that time period. Even the sh*t over the county line have seen one or two successes, furthermore with poor teams.

All told voted for a Devon victory, feel they'll want it more. We have our share of eliminations to lower league in this "competition" and they'll possess a greater motivation. Not that I'll lose any rest over it, if we were destined to be successful in this event it would surely have occurred before now.

Maybe go to extra time but believe they'll overcome us eventually on the night. Would hope Hurst deploys a strong team and goes out to win for the benefit of others but would it be enough.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Since we haven’t won yet under Hurst, this game has taken on a bit more significance.

Seems a no- brainer to put your best team out there ( if Hurst knows yet).

I’ll go for a nervy 1-0 win. Skuse to score the winner.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:11 pm

I can’t imagine Exeter rolling over easily after kicking off their season with two straight wins. For sure they will expect to get something out of this game especially if Paul Hurst follows McCarthy’s style of playing a weakened side.

Prediction 0-2 to Town if we play a strong side.....

2-0 to Exeter if we don’t, PH, it’s up to you.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Exeter 2 - Ipswich 0
And long may you continue. :wink:

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:19 pm

Not sure what to make of this one.
Thinking PH cares a bit more about this competition than MM did so I can see a strong side being fielded
Still going for a home win 1-0

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:14 am

the referee is from.................DEVON!! How can that be right? Bit concerned about this. :shock:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:11 am

Seems he’s also a bit “card happy”. Could possibly be a few bookings in this one.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am

Hopefully he's a Torquay fan !!! Bit odd I have to say.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 am

Ipswich in the League Cup

Town have reached the semi-finals of the League Cup on four occasions, losing to Liverpool (81/82), Norwich (84/85), Birmingham (00/01) and Arsenal (10/11).

Since those ties against the Gunners, the Blues have exited the competition to lower league opposition in five of the last seven seasons.

The first exception was a 3-0 third round defeat at Manchester United in 2015. Mick McCarthy controversially changed his entire team for that money-spinning match as the likes of Piotr Malarczyk, Josh Yorwerth, Giles Coke and Tommy Oar lined up against Wayne Rooney, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Juan Mata and David de Gea.

Last year, the youngest Town side in history – average outfield age 19 – put in gallant performance at Crystal Palace, losing 2-1 in the second round, following an entertaining first round win at Luton.

11/12: 1R, L 2-1 Northampton (h)

12/13: 2R, L 2-1 aet Carlisle (a)

13/14: 1R, L 2-0 Stevenage (a)

14/15: 1R, L 1-0 Crawley (a)

15/16: 3R, L 3-0 Man Utd (a)

16/17: 1R, L 1-0 Stevenage (a)

17/18: 2R, L 2-1 Crystal Palace (a)

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:15 am

Exeter to get it 2-1 Winner by Lee Martin :(

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:30 am

Couldn’t care less about this cup, however a clean sheet and a couple of goals for the newbies is needed so we must go for this. Rotate the CM,keep the rest of the team strong!
I’ll go for an extra time win.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 am

well ive put a cheeky £10 on 3-0

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:24 am

Definitely more importance on this match due to the lack of wins so far, hopefully this will be a confidence builder.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:08 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:30 am
Couldn’t care less about this cup, however a clean sheet and a couple of goals for the newbies is needed so we must go for this. Rotate the CM,keep the rest of the team strong!
No extra time anymore, straight to penalties

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:18 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:15 pm

In it's defense it says Extra Time in the above list, that is it's one of the voting options.

Did the same thing then realized they've abolished it for this season, whether that will continue for future purposes remains to be seen. The senior match official from Devon if correct seems innocent enough, he's hardly an Exeter fanatic or has any direct involvement with the club on a personal level. Nothing sinister, should be impartial and call it down the middle.

Haven't had any excitement from this chicken litter tournament since we overcame Arsenal a few years back at the last four stage, that was an epic occasion, possibly on a level with beating Inter Milan in the UEFA Cup some time before it. Not to say that could happen again any time soon but say again would hope to play a strong team and progress as you should.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:15 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Get this negative supporter off this site NOW!! :lol:

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:08 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
No extra time anymore, straight to penalties
Sums up how much I value the competition :roll: such a pleb to miss that! Same prediction tho, us in pens.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:24 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:15 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
My anxiety certainly can be negative. You should have seen me at half time Saturday..... I was less calm than someone on the phone to Samaritans.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:18 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:15 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Ok I'm going with Exiter 1 Ipswich 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:48 pm

I remember that Carlisle fixture in 2012 ..... the Hibs were in Dumfries that night playing QOS. Hibs & Town supporters 37 miles apart. I think Haley’s Comet will pass another 37 times before that happens again.

Can we refrain from saying the “Devon” referee. Every time I hear the word Devon, I need a plate of custard or a box of fudge. Fat b*stard as it is.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Ok I will have a go

4 - 0 Ipswich....

For what its worth I think its very important to stay in these cups..

The more football we play the better we will become. Big gaps inbetween usually see
us getting destroyed even though we believe the rest periods will do us good.
Never works..

Or lets put it another way..

Is there any evidence that going out early in any of these competitions has done us
any good in the league??

COYB