Exeter City vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Time for a Win huh?

Exeter City Win
40%
Ipswich Town Win
40%
Extra Time
20%

Total votes: 15

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Exeter City vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:58 am

Hope Paul Hurst isn’t doing what I do on PC manager games. The “fk it, see what happens” approach.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 am

Great report Mike for those of us who weren't there. I totally agree with your assessments of Ward and Sears. I've never understood why Sears has so many fans.All this b*llocks about MM never playing him in his right position having ruined a great striker. When he was a kid at West Ham they had high hopes that he could be a good Jimmy Greaves type goal poacher. He then spent his time not fulfilling that potential and working his way down the leagues. yes he runs around a lot, but has no shot in him and I cannot conceive of him getting more than a few goals in a season, even if he was (heaven forbid) played through the middle.
Ward I've always found infuriating as he undoubtedly has pace but constantly stops when he is on a run and half the time ends up passing the ball backwards. He puts in way too many poor performances and I would be happy to see the back of him as well as Sears.
I agree that Knudsen is not a great left back. Compared to Cresswell and Mings he is a pub footballer,jogging back when he has made forays forward. That is probably why he has been a half decent CB when called upon - no forays forward and just defending. Kenlock is willing and definitely has more pace than Knudsen but I'm not sure he is ever going to be top notch.
So far, I'm very happy with PH's appointment. We always knew it would be difficult to begin with. I have no problem at all with League 1/2 players who PH thinks have the potential to step up. My only concern is that he does seem to like the "one up front" approach, which I don't have a problem with so long as we utilize our strengths(?). I like both the front men he has brought in and would like to see both of them on the field at the same time. Maybe Harrison as the nominal lone striker with Jackson using his pace running off him and Edwards being the other winger.Nolan and a fit Dozzell would be my two attacking central midfielders with Chaloboa mopping up behind. I like Skuse,always have done,but can't fit him in my team,so long as we play a back four. Maybe ,with a fit squad 3 at the back could be the answer as a way to get Skuse in the team.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:54 am

Hallelujah Ranger !!!! Someone who sees Sears for what he is and what he has always been !!! Ive said all along it has bugger all to do with being spoilt as a player by MM or anyone else for that matter, just a lame excuse for a bang average player. As for the rest of the post, spot on in my opinion.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:35 pm

To offer maybe one theory as to why Freddie Sears is given the benefit of the doubt, (or has been given the benefit of the doubt in the past) is because of his energy. He obviously does feck all with the energy, but there is always a chance that maybe one of these games he’ll play a good one!

Again, sorry for using the mighty Hibs as an example, but a few players over the years who’ve been quick and intense, but essentially Shyte, have always been given extra chances from the fans. It’s my only theory regarding Freddie.

The opposite of course is being a world beater and lethargic. Portugal’s Figo?

Sears is better than Figo!

Had a couple of Budweisers at lunch.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:07 pm

This is true, he does run around like a decapitated Foghorn Leghorn.