Ipswich Town v Aston Villa Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A tricky fixture to call

Ipswich Town Win
18%
Aston Villa Win
53%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 17

AylesburyBlue

Re: Ipswich Town v Aston Villa Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Quasar wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:16 pm
if its 1-1 with that red card @ 39' ill be happy.
if we win - well the missus might be sore in the morning
Why’s that, ordering a vindaloo?

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:03 pm

Superb result. Sounds like everyone played well and played football for once. Beginning of the renaissance- COYB

May the force be with us :D

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Well done lads a fantastic performance.
It was far from backs to the wall considering the sending off.

What a player Edwards is going to be.

Nolan after a slow start looked the part at times.

In time the makings of a good team.

Still not sure about Harrison up front on his own thought Jackson looked more of a threat when he came on.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Just back from the game, and have to say I really enjoyed it.

A much better performance from Town, and it was a really good game but spoilt by a very poor referee and linesman.

Regarding the sending off, the second yellow card was right in front of me - was a fairly tame challenge but he did go in with his studs showing which is probably what swung it - pity is the ref looked like he was going to ignore it until the Villa players spoke to him.

Was good to see all the new signings play today - Nsiala did well I thought and will grow into the role. Donacien had a good game and looked pretty assured, and Harrison has impressed me from the start.

The only disappointment for me is Nolan - works hard enough but terrible passing and vision and his dead-ball delivery is woeful. I have serious doubts over whether or not he will make it at this level.

MOM for me was Knudsen - probably the best I've seen him play.

Just looking for that first win now - hope it comes before the Naaaarwich game.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Well by all accounts that was a real do or die performance. Well done to the lads and PH for at least giving it a real go as he said he would. After loosing an early goal you might have feared heads would drop and maybe we could nick a draw. But to come back and be on the front foot only to get a man sent off was a real kick in the teeth. Credit due against a good team we still competed all over the place. We kept going forward and got our rewards for sheer effort and patience.

Hope this is a turning point and what better place to pick up our first win than the home of dirty Leeds. 😀

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:24 pm

f*ck, I hope we get a win before October 24th.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 pm

I honestly believe a corner was turned today, a point it may only be but the performance from the gallant boys in Blue was worthy of so much more. Up against it for much of the game following a very harsh sending off, Town refused to roll over and kept going forward looking to win the game when shutting up shop could so easily have been the way to go. At times it was hard to tell just who had the extra man and to be honest it would have been justified had we gone on to sneak the win as I felt for much of the game we were the better side against a Villa team who quite frankly at times were embarrassing with the regularity with which they fell to the floor with the slightest touch from a Town player, if I had to Suffer Grealish every week I would walk away from the game.

I said the line up today would give us some idea as to who were on the receiving end of Paul Hurt's harsh words Tuesday evening and surprise surprise two of the culprits that I called out for being hopeless (Ward & Sears) were banished to the bench. Pleasing for most Town fans was the return of Gwion Edwards and Cole Skuse with Ellis Harrison leading line and Kayden Jackson on the bench.

From the off it was Town that were on the front foot and looking to get forward, Edun was seeing a fair bit of the ball down the Town Left and had started very brightly, chances were non existent in the opening minutes though as both sides looked to get a grip on proceedings. I don't think Gwion Edwards had touched the ball at all in the first Thirteen minutes but that was about to change as he went on a marauding run down the Villa left leaving Three or Four players in his wake before laying a pass infield to Jon Nolan who swept it out wide to the willing Edun, his cross was on the money and fell nicely for Edwards who had continued his run, the welshman let fly with a shot that smacked off the bar and away to safety, it was a flowing move from Town as good as I have seen at Portman Road for many months and so close to giving us the lead. The chance saw Town enjoy a spell of dominance with most of the play at the Villa end, one or two decent balls were flashed across the box and a couple of half chances blocked but it was good stuff from Town.

As is so often the case having not seen Villa as an attacking force at all they go ahead with their first real attack, a cross from our Left just eluded the stretching Chambers and there was Kodjia to flick it home past the helpless Bart to give them an undeserved lead, it really was harsh on Town who had enjoyed the lions share of the play and were really looking up for it. Not long after a pivotal point in the afternoon saw Tayo Edun Yellow carded for what was a very good and fair tackle much to the surprise of Town players and fans alike, it was just one of a number of terrible decisions that were going against us from a totally useless Referee who was to have a massive impact on the outcome of the game. Thankfully the freekick saw their effort graze the top of the bar and no further damage was done.

With half time Ten minutes away Town got themselves level, a Knudsen throw caused a melee in the Villa box and the ball fell kindly for Chalobah to spin and fire low into the net for a well deserved equaliser, the noise was deafening as it had been since the off and you could sense just how much the crowd were willing the Boys in Blue on. Unfortunately our joy was short lived as Edun picked up a second yellow for another strong tackle which I thought looked fair at the time, the ref unsurprisingly disagreed and gave the Midfielder who for me had been Town's best player up to that point his marching orders, there was utter disbelief all round as the kid was given a standing ovation as he left the field but it left us with an almighty uphill struggle in a game which looked very much like we could have gone on to win.

The second half started with Villa trying to impose themselves on the ten men but Town were standing firm and if anything looked well capable of causing Villa problems. Jon Nolan who it had to be said had again had a really quiet first half started to get more involved and Town were moving it forward through him, Edwards out wide was causing them trouble every time he got the ball, he really is a handfull while at the back Chambers was having a very good afternoon with Nsiala beside him also looking solid, I felt our RB Donacien was having an excellent game too. A poor Bart clearance almost gifted Villa chance but the opening was closed down much to everyone's relief, Jackson who had come on for Harrison was trying to run in behind the tiring defence and his pace was catching the defenders out once or twice as they dwelled on the ball. With added time being played Bart was forced into his first real save of the match as he got his hand behind a decent strike to palm it away to secure a well deserved point which for me was the least we deserved.

I have to say I saw nothing in Villa that impressed me to be honest, time after time they feigned being fouled and the ref bought it every time, Grealish is a joke, talented he may be but christ what a fairy. If they are one of the favs for the league then we are going to do ok in this division. The ref made the job so much tougher than it might have been with the red card but the lads rose to the challenge and did themselves proud, to a man they stuck to the task, put their bodies on the line and got the job done, it felt like a win at the full time whistle and the atmosphere was electric and the noise deafening at times.

Bart...Didn't have loads to do, kicking still needs improving but crucial save at the death is what Bart is all about. Steady. (6)

Donacien...A really solid , gritty defensive performance, no errors and countered any threat down that side with little trouble. Impressed (7)

Chambers.. I thought the skipper was immense today, led by example and got his head and body to so many crosses etc, played as though he had a point to prove. MOTM (8)

Nsiala...improving with every game as his understanding with Chambo takes hold, stood up well to Kodjia and won plenty in the air. (7)

knudsen...Better today but still gets caught out of position and upfield too often, no disputing the effort. (6)

Skuse...For me the pick of the Midfield today, getting used to his new, more advanced role but still in the right place at the right time to break up lots of Villa forays forward, passing was very good. (7)

Nolan....Improved as the game wore on, quiet first half but pulled a few strings after the break and treid to get forward more to support the striker. (6)

Chalobah... There is so much to drool over with Chalobah, most of what he does is superb but his passing lets him down at times, if he can polish up that part of his game we will have some player on our hands, right place at the right time for the crucial goal. (7)

Edun...So unlucky to pick up a Red card and up until the sending off was Town's best player, always wanting the ball and looking to get forward, was running at players and creating chances for Town to attack, covered well for Knudsen. (7)

Edwards... What a star this guy could be, at 700K he is a steal, one marauding run was worth the entrance fee alone and his shot hitting the bar was so close, ran at them whenever he could and there is always an end product to his play, Up there with Chambers performance. (8)

Harrison...This boy runs his socks off all game and puts himself about, I thought it was the best he has looked so far against a very good CB in Chester, wins plenty in the air, needs a goal but his unselfish play doesn't go unnoticed. (7)

SUB :- Jackson... Not on for long but always looks dangerous when bearing down on defenders, when he really gets into his stride he will score goals, so close today with one that flew just beyond his outstretched foot right in front of goal. (6)

I am 100% convinced after today that this team is going to do just fine, you can actually see it coming together as the understanding grows, partnerships are starting to form and players are beginning to understand one anothers play. If Paul Hurst said what he did to get a reaction it was a masterstroke as the team did everyone proud today and fair play to the gaffer for still trying to attack and take it to them when it was 10 v 12, yes 12 cus the ref cleary wasn't on our side and that is not sour grapes. I am looking forward to seeing this team evolve, Derby Tuesday, can't wait. COYB'S.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Maybe today’s performance was perfect timing ahead of the trip to Pride Park where we’ve won or drawn on our last 10 visits winning our last three trips there 0-1. How good would it be to make it four on the bounce against big spending Derby where hopefully at worst we can avoid a defeat which would leave us with just two points from our four opening games.

The only worrying stat for me from today’s game was the single shot on target over 90 mins, if we are going to start winning games this is a stat we need to improve upon.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Many thanks for another excellent report, Mike. Very grateful.

As you say, it looks as though the 'gel' is becoming effective and things are starting to happen. Certainly much more exciting than dire rubbish served up by McCarthy.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:15 pm
So so proud, believe people cus this team will make it.
Totally agree with your sentiments. I cannot believe some of the refereeing decisions
but we have to get on with it. 90% plus of people would have thought Villa would have stuffed us
after we had a man sent off, but the team looked together, positive and up for it.
I was just a tad disappointment we could not stick up 2 fingers against a team of cheats,
we nearly did, but great credit to all players on the field today.

Well done Town..

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:21 am

Fantastic match report again BlueMike. Really look forward to reading them.
Great to hear the response to Tuesday and a good result against one of the top sides.
Looking forward to seeing how we do against Derby who it has to be said are in trouble at the moment and not getting into their stride quickly having lost two on the trot with their novice manager. I'd say it's a good time to be playing them and surely Hurst has the experience to outplan Frank?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:09 am

In some strange way the sh*t ref did us a favour.

It kind of brought the team and fans together through a sense of injustice.

Really happy with that performance and result and hope we can follow it up with a good performance against Derby. It’s going to take time, but whilst we’re trying to build a team if we can scrape results like that showing the character then all the better.

I think set pieces we can improve on in the meantime. With someone like Edwards, Nolan running at defenders we can get free kicks and corners and should try and make use of them more.

And no offence to Skusey, but he shouldn’t be taking free kicks. Saw a couple of times yesterday, we had a free kick in their half and he just knocked it a couple of yards sideways to a player and you lose the initiative. Pointless. Goals are hard to come by at the moment so I think we have to improve on the set pieces. For me, that’s the greatest loss in Waghorn- which is his set piece delivery. Something to work on in training.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:17 am

If it was American football there would be a coach only for field goals and another for punt returns.

Do we have a dedicated set piece coach?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:15 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:17 am
If it was American football there would be a coach only for field goals and another for punt returns.

Do we have a dedicated set piece coach?
And they have a towel boy and a water boy and a million other stupid-a$$ed things that they can keep in America! PLEASE do not get a “set-piece coach”.

Excellent match report and fantastic result with the ten men v AV.

You could well have a point re the ref doing ITFC a favour, Tang..... especially with Mike saying both Eduns yellows were harsh.

Frank Lampard sacked on Tuesday night?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Got a point from a team that works hard at you, the team showed character on occasion and were aided by a vociferous crowd. The match official seemed inept at times and spoiled things considerably with one or two decisions, however there was evidence at least that the team is starting to take shape and there will be opportunities in the time ahead. Will attempt brief highlight coverage for those who may wish to see relevant incident.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks for the highlights, Saint! Just from that bit of footage, I can tell the team moves a lot quicker than before.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks to everyone, especially BlueMike, but Rossi too amongst others, who takes the time to write up in detail on their thoughts. Helps so much in getting a view on the games and new players.

You guys are stars!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Having seen the yellow card incidents again and again I still think he was wrongly sent off, however I get why the ref gave the second yellow, it is the first one that was definitely wrong.