Derby County vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Do we keep making progress?

Derby County Win
6%
Ipswich Town Win
44%
Draw
50%

Total votes: 16

shamm

Re: Derby County vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shamm » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:10 pm
A very well struck goal from Ledley but how poor was the clearance from the corner.
Was worried about this. 2-0 Tom Lawrence.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Mm, not looking good, things better improve very soon or teddies are going to thrown again 😵

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm

At this rate Derby could keep their first clean sheet.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm

We were just described as a team of young & hungry players keen to learn, but who the f*ck are they going to learn from ?

Hell knows how we’ll fare when we come up against teams in form.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm
We were just described as a team of young & hungry players keen to learn, but who the f*ck are they going to learn from ?

Agreed! It's all well and good having the intention of playing a better style of football but it's becoming more clear that we don't have the players to do it. This could be a very long season. We play better with ten men than eleven.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 pm

We haven’t looked even close to scoring. With the exception of Nsiala who had a ‘good’ game the rest were average or poor. If we ‘turned a corner’ Saturday we must be in a f**king maze, was worse than Rotherham.

What the bloody hell happened to the high energy high press? It’s non existent. We did put two decent moves together during the game 🙄.

I know we need to gel and acclimatise to the step up but after the international break it HAS to happen.

Who said the change in philosophy would be happy hey.

Cross your fingers for Saturday. COYB. We’ll get there.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Agreed! It's all well and good having the intention of playing a better style of football but it's becoming more clear that we don't have the players to do it. This could be a very long season. We play better with ten men than eleven.
In that case lets get mick back, we can lose playing a sh*te style of football. We all know its going to take time to settle. As long as marcus evens is our owner we will continue to sell our best players and muddle through with what we have. The first goal which was fortunate knocked us. After that we had nothing, my only gripe tonight is hurst does not want to change formation to chase the match.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 pm

watched the game on Shy Red Button.

It may upset some on here, but to be brutally honest we were fúcking cráp. I was ashamed to be an Ipswich supporter, thank God the game was only on Red Button , so will only have been watched by those with a vested interest

Make no mistake, Derby were really poor - so what does that say about us?

The only plus for me was Nsiala - improving with every game and I like that he is prepared to play out from defence.

Nolan - what a waste of space - works hard enough but cant pass and cant shoot. One player like this in midfield is enough (Skuse) - we cant afford to have 2. Skuse was deservedly substituted, but must have been close between him and Nolan - they appeared to be having their own private competition of who could give the ball away the most.

If we had played for 900 minutes (which obviously we couldn't with the same players, it's just a figure of speech) we would not have scored - no cutting edge. That is not particularly the fault of the lone striker = whoever was the striker would have been isolated with no backup at all from either the wide players or from midfield. PH's tactics are not working - his insistence of playing one up front is worrying me.

My prediction - PH will be gone by end of November and ME will go cap in hand to MM to rescue us once again.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 pm

We were a bit unlucky with the first goal and that changed the match.
Up to then Bart had nothing much to do.
Non of the forward thinking players impressed tonight Harrison is too isolated up front and not good enough to play in that role on his own.

It was the first time for the Red button and WTF was that all about a test card at halftime, no replays and a commentator who kept mixing the players up. :shock:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 pm
We haven’t looked even close to scoring. With the exception of Nsiala who had a ‘good’ game the rest were average or poor. If we ‘turned a corner’ Saturday we must be in a f**king maze, was worse than Rotherham.

What the bloody hell happened to the high energy high press? It’s non existent. We did put two decent moves together during the game 🙄.

I know we need to gel and acclimatise to the step up but after the international break it HAS to happen.

Was it not Nsiala poor headed clearance from the corner which led to the first goal and then his unnecessary foul on the edge of the box which led to the free kick which Lawrence took for the second goal ?

I know some of you guys have seen a lot more of Town than I have this season which gives you more right to comment than me, but based on what I watched tonight we’re going to struggle big time.

I just watched albeit a few minutes of highlights from the Ssansea v Leeds game and based on what I watched we didn’t look like a decent Championship side compared with either of them. Early days I know and feel free to jump on me and tell me I’m wrong, but I’m feeling just a little concerned tonight that our transfer buying strategy is flawed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 pm
My prediction - PH will be gone by end of November and ME will go cap in hand to MM to rescue us once again.
Think I’ll go to bookies and ask for a price on that one. £20 could win all the Xmas presents! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 pm
We were a bit unlucky with the first goal and that changed the match.
Up to then Bart had nothing much to do.
Non of the forward thinking players impressed tonight Harrison is too isolated up front and not good enough to play in that role on his own.

It was the first time for the Red button and WTF was that all about a test card at halftime, no replays and a commentator who kept mixing the players up. :shock:

Whilst I was happy to have the opportunity to watch the game the coverage was certainly poor with only one camera angle, no HD, and as you say no replays, and even better no pundits!

In fact it was that poor it took me back to the early 60’s when Anglia Television launched Match of the Week shown on a Sunday afternoon showing match highlights from a game played the previous day involving one of the local teams.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
AylesburyBlue wrote:

Was it not Nsiala poor headed clearance from the corner which led to the first goal and then his unnecessary foul on the edge of the box which led to the free kick which Lawrence took for the second goal ?

I know some of you guys have seen a lot more of Town than I have this season which gives you more right to comment than me, but based on what I watched tonight we’re going to struggle big time.

I just watched albeit a few minutes of highlights from the Ssansea v Leeds game and based on what I watched we didn’t look like a decent Championship side compared with either of them. Early days I know and feel free to jump on me and tell me I’m wrong, but I’m feeling just a little concerned tonight that our transfer buying strategy is flawed.
nah - I don't think you're wrong at all - unfortunately we suffer from a squad with no class and incorrect tactics given the lack of class in the squad

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
AylesburyBlue wrote:

Again, I find myself agreeing with you. It is early days but we look out of our depth compared to the likes of Swansea and Leeds. If we can't beat Wednesday then we're in big trouble.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:34 pm

Abysmal

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 pm
rossi wrote:
Think I’ll go to bookies and ask for a price on that one. £20 could win all the Xmas presents! :lol:

If we were any club other than Ipswich there’s a strong chance the manager could be gone by Christmas, however in our case it’s hardly that managers fault that we have a flawed transfer strategy even if he was the man who convinced Marcus Evans that he could make it work. Hopefully he still can but in my opinion it’s looking a very high risk strategy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 pm

f*ck me such doom and gloom, come on guys a sense of perspective here, talk of managers gone etc is plain ridiculous , nobody was saying that 3 days ago, typical knee jerk reactions. Granted it wasnt great tonite but until the first went in there was nothing in it at all, we won't get a clear picture until about 15 games minimum are played, we all knew there would be hurdles along the way and some we will stumble over, i do have concerns about the one up front though, that needs to change.

Jome_ITFC

Post by Jome_ITFC » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Hello all :D a few names about that I recognise!

Have to say I'm a fan of PH and what he is trying to do but tonight was rather worrying, not just as an isolated game but as a continuation of some negatives we have seen in previous games. Overall I don't think we are a 'poor' team as such but we just do not have goals in this squad as it is, be that due to the players and/or the system being implemented. I know PH has a certain way of wanting to play and it would be silly for him to abandon that after 5 games, but the lack of any sort of plan b so far is something that has stuck out. I was also under the impression that PH teams like to play with high energy and constant pressing, I've seen very little of this in the games I've watched this season so far. We also desperately need to sort out our set pieces, these are currently looking like the only way we might sneak some goals in but our deliveries are abysmal.

On a positive I do think we look reasonably solid at the back in open play with Nsiala looking a good purchase and Donacian improving game to game.

Early days still and I'm sure the team as a whole will improve over time but I do think there are some legitimate concerns being raised by people. I'm not confident of getting many points going into the international break, i just hope in the next two games we show signs of creating a few more chances from open play.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:04 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 pm
marko69 wrote:
rossi wrote:

If we were any club other than Ipswich there’s a strong chance the manager could be gone by Christmas, however in our case it’s hardly that managers fault that we have a flawed transfer strategy even if he was the man who convinced Marcus Evans that he could make it work. Hopefully he still can but in my opinion it’s looking a very high risk strategy.
It was more about Mevans approaching MM! Thought that was quite funny. :D

At the moment, for me, I'm hoping Hurst is given time to sus out the right combination with the players he has brought to the club.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:18 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 pm
f*ck me such doom and gloom, come on guys a sense of perspective here, talk of managers gone etc is plain ridiculous , nobody was saying that 3 days ago, typical knee jerk reactions. Granted it wasnt great tonite but until the first went in there was nothing in it at all, we won't get a clear picture until about 15 games minimum are played, we all knew there would be hurdles along the way and some we will stumble over, i do have concerns about the one up front though, that needs to change.

I think you’ve missed the gist of where it started Mike with a crack about ME bringing MM back and Marko having £20 on it to buy his pressies for Christmas ( Joking I’m sure ).

I know we were even until the goal went in but that was with two teams playing crap !

Not sure we can wait 15 games or more for a clearer picture, that takes us into November. I know I’ve said it before but I think we need to get a couple of more experienced or better quality loan players in to help bring these youngsters on. I think it’s just asking too much to expect them to do it on their own.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:20 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:18 am
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 pm

I think you’ve missed the gist of where it started Mike with a crack about ME bringing MM back and Marko having £20 on it to buy his pressies for Christmas ( Joking I’m sure ).

I know we were even until the goal went in but that was with two teams playing crap !

Not sure we can wait 15 games or more for a clearer picture, that takes us into November. I know I’ve said it before and it’s been poo poo’d, but I still think we’d benefit from getting a couple of more experienced or better quality loan players in to help bring these youngsters on. I think it’s just asking too much to expect them to do it on their own.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:23 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:04 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 pm
marko69 wrote:

It was more about Mevans approaching MM! Thought that was quite funny. :D

At the moment, for me, I'm hoping Hurst is given time to sus out the right combination with the players he has brought to the club.

I think I knew what you meant Marko, just made a bit of a lash up with the reply which went off track.

I’m sure Hurst will be given plenty of time but I’m less sure he has sufficient quality in the squad to play around with.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:41 am

Some strong opinions voiced so early in the season.

ME said before appointing PH that things would be different and they certainly are. I admire PH's high risk strategy and sincerely believe it will work. I think most fans appreciate this will take time however and for some on here to be acting as they are is hardly going to instill confidence in the new regime.

Please give PH and the players a fair crack of the whip.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:57 am

Situation analysis seems a concern. I'm not one for hiding my head in my as* and putting any and all worries aside (as some invariably possess a tendency) and fact of the matter is we got two points from four league games and enough about that horseshit exit from that horseshit competition just recent, some will rightly focus we got a number of issues that persist and require addressing. At least the son of a bitch Nugent didn't manage his obligatory goal against us, but the result won't change.

The lone attacker option that Hurst seems to favor isn't going to work. We travel to an opposition team that is eager to beat us at home after a succession of missed opportunity and we deploy one up front ? Don't see the reasoning behind it, we got limited forward options as it is (at least in the sense you could deem proven or reliable) and not only that, the team as a whole didn't seem nowhere near motivated enough to take anything from today. Bialkowski staying on was a smart move, but then there's other players of caliber that have departed and we don't seem to have the required cover to make the team competitive enough in the time ahead.

If you had said back in August before any game was underway we would have obtained no wins thus far I wouldn't have believed it. Frustrating thing is you realize the capabilities are there but seems like old times with the new manager, i.e. wrong formation, a clear deficiency of attacking intent within the team, not enough motivation or will to succeed. It's not pleasant these observations but this wasn't the start many anticipated. I'm not subscribing to any relegation concern I have seen evident from some fans since August but the bottom line being, who's going to get the goals to provide a promotion opportunity or how long before enough players are playing consistently enough as a cohesive unit to allow us a chance. It's all right sporadically and the plaudits will arrive with it, but as others have alluded to, the team is (or seems you could argue) redundant in certain areas that could - or will -prove critical by seasons end.

Defeat in the next league game won't warrant a tangible crisis, but any concerns as it is, will for sure come on leaps and bounds with some. Whether you dismiss it out of hand or are in that number, you can understand their concerns.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:35 am

barmy billy wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:41 am
Some strong opinions voiced so early in the season.

ME said before appointing PH that things would be different and they certainly are. I admire PH's high risk strategy and sincerely believe it will work. I think most fans appreciate this will take time however and for some on here to be acting as they are is hardly going to instill confidence in the new regime.

Please give PH and the players a fair crack of the whip.
Well said Billy. I think Hurst has been bold. He could have gone down the route of being a mini MM and playing it safe. I’ll back Hurst as he’s gone with the ‘need for change’ philosophy.

Can’t help but feel knives are being sharpened a bit too quick and there’s a little too much enjoyment in seeing things not going to plan. I get it with the one up front striker formation.... Harrison has little to work with and we’re looking toothless in the final third.

Can’t help feel Roberts needs a chance at left wing. Wards not doing it for me and Roberts ticks the box as a genuine left winger who gets crosses in.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:46 am

Charnwood wrote:
AylesburyBlue wrote:

I don’t think Nsiala’s header was poor, it was a sh*t corner that made its may through countless town players, Nsiala stooped and on this head where it hurt to clear it, it wasn’t his fault nobody closed down Ledley and the ball took a deflection.
And the free kick? Really? (Similar to Blackburn) That was typical Lawrence he fell over, it was absolutely not a free kick. How has Bart got off so lightly for that goal in any case, middle of the goal, perfect height, even the commentators said it was a disappointing attempt. He has not had a good start to the season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:05 am

Echo Tangfastic and say, yes, well said Barmy Billy. Little bit unrest after 4 league games and no doubt countless fans biting their tongues......., but, seriously, FFS! :lol:
Talk about wanting an 11 radiator heating system, “INSTALLED BY LUNCH TIME. FKN COME ON!” The larger jobs take time.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:35 am

Jome_ITFC wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:58 pm
Hello all :D a few names about that I recognise!

Have to say I'm a fan of PH and what he is trying to do but tonight was rather worrying, not just as an isolated game but as a continuation of some negatives we have seen in previous games. Overall I don't think we are a 'poor' team as such but we just do not have goals in this squad as it is, be that due to the players and/or the system being implemented. I know PH has a certain way of wanting to play and it would be silly for him to abandon that after 5 games, but the lack of any sort of plan b so far is something that has stuck out. I was also under the impression that PH teams like to play with high energy and constant pressing, I've seen very little of this in the games I've watched this season so far. We also desperately need to sort out our set pieces, these are currently looking like the only way we might sneak some goals in but our deliveries are abysmal.

On a positive I do think we look reasonably solid at the back in open play with Nsiala looking a good purchase and Donacian improving game to game.

Early days still and I'm sure the team as a whole will improve over time but I do think there are some legitimate concerns being raised by people. I'm not confident of getting many points going into the international break, i just hope in the next two games we show signs of creating a few more chances from open play.
Really good to see you back fella!

please dont leave it so long until next time.

Cheers Dave

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 am

Massive overreaction on here. Thought we were quite poor last night but game was fairly even until first goal. I also didn’t think derby were that bad. Rossi I saw you mentioned Skuse, for me he was our best midfielder until he went off, we looked weak in middle when he was off the pitch. He was subbed because of injury. Nolan did some good things but also gave away the ball quite a bit.

I like donacien and Nsiala, both look great additions. I agree with mike and everyone else that the one up front is not quite working, we are no creating enough chances this way and Harrison just looks like he’s chasing a lost cause all the time. I would try and play 2 up there.

4 games in and no wins doesn’t look great but it’s not like QPR who have been battered in a few of those. We will get there

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:53 am

No need for a full report on this one as you all obviously saw it for yourselves but it's more the level of discontent that bothers me than the result itself. Everybody said we needed change, everybody said we wanted a new direction with better football and entertainment, some said they would even take better football and losing in preference to MM's style, obviously PH wasn't everyone's first choice but they were prepared to give the guy a chance, it seems to me what Four games with some of us is his chance ? Really ? That's just plain crazy.

I also see lots of comments all over the place having yet another go at Marcus Evans for a p*ss poor budget again !! People really have no clue if that's their opinion, for us to spend 1.6 Million on Jackson alone is far more than I envisaged. We have brought in NINE new signings, anybody can tell you this will not be a seamless transition after Four bloody games, I have said this for years now but this is typical Ipswich fans mentality these days, it's Black or White with feck all in between. The over reaction on social media etc is quite staggering after last nights game, I know a lot of it is keyboard warrior idiots but a lot isn't !! Some of the negativity from people that were drooling after Villa to this now shows a serious mental disorder.

For me the game itself was never a classic and in truth lacked any real quality throughout, the first half saw a game with a solitary chance and that was Ward's weak effort which Carson easily smothered. I felt if anything we started off slowly and sat off them, as I said last night (and PH agreed) we showed them too much respect, but gradually we got a foothold and for me edged the half despite all Derby's possession, they never hurt us at all, our defence was more solid than theirs was, I thought throughout the game Nsiala & Donacien were solid while Chambo & Knudsen rarely looked troubled.

After the break we didnt start well and again a couple of things just went against us, a lucky deflection for the first goal and as someone said the second was not a freekick in the first place, Lawrence just fell to the ground as he always bloody does, these little things have gone against us all season and we always seemed to be punished. Losing Skuse affected us despite what some may say, he was doing a solid job, I do worry about Harrison up top on his own, the poor lad needs support, he has the toughest job of all the new guys and it is so hard for him to adjust so quickly at this level, if Hurst needs to address anything it is this formation.

No win in Four isn't what we hoped for clearly but again break it down and it isnt the end of the world, easy to say but it is reality, the Blackburn game was the opener with a team literally thrown together, Three of them arrived 2 or 3 days before the game, we ground out a deserved point, Rotherham is the one that is clouding our start, we weren't great but this work in progress team bossed the game and clobbered them in the stats, just couldn't convert a chance and got caught with a sucker punch, that really should have been Three points. Villa at home was a great performance and for me a turning point cus it showed me this team can compete with the best, but for a Red card we would probably have won that game, as it is we nearly did anyway, everyone was happy and saw a plan being hatched. Then last night seems to have undone all the good work in one foul swoop !! A poor game between Two poor sides on the night, One who has spent peanuts(although not to us it isn't) and One who has spent mega mega Millions and who got the key breaks when it mattered, work it out for yourselves.

I still see positives, Nsiala, Chalobah, Edwards, Edun & Donacien are looking good signings, Nolan leaves me a bit unsure at present, he is showing it in spurts but as others have pointed out at times certain things are poor, it is hard to judge anything on Jackson until we see him more, not just 25 mins here and there, Harrison has found it tough, more down to the formation and tactics than his ability, he needs a goal. Jordan Roberts has not really had a chance to show anything so I don't see any failures just yet. Charny said it is a high risk strategy and he is right, we all knew that and we all accepted it, it is One that could ultimately fail but not after Four bloody games, let's give this time to evolve, it could well take a season to get it right, but at least we have a team back who want to entertain and try to play football, there is no way we will be fighting to stay in this division, I am sure of it but losing the fans makes it incredibly hard. I would suggest we need minimum of Four points from Sheff Wed & Norwich to get concern levels settled, after that September presents Four winnable games so lets just keep a sense of perspective for a while yet.