Sheffield Wed. vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Really could do with 3 points huh?

Sheffield Wed Win
48%
Ipswich Town Win
19%
Draw
33%

Total votes: 21

arana peligrosa

Re: Sheffield Wed. vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:43 am

Tried to get some game highlights to ascertain relevant moments from today but any videos decided to not cooperate. People seem quite phlegmatic with the situation, that being we're in end position in the league and yet to witness a victory. Almost like an apathy, although some in fairness are aware of the deteriorating situation. May be apprehensive to speak out, get an adverse reaction etc.

Was not able thus far to view the dismissal incident. Says the match official was poor again, amateur level etc. Seems it wasn't all down to some as* in "control" however, (there were) individual mistakes from one or two (usually reliable) players and we didn't take advantage of the opportunities today that came our way. Bottom line Sheffield were fortunate to some extent in recording a victory.

Not worried about the opposition next up. Maybe they'll beat us, after all our record with them in many years has been sub-standard regards scores but games of this nature will always leave league position and form invariably immaterial. However four or five league games into a new season and no victory to be seen - more so propping up the f**king league -, sorry but that's a considerable disappointment when you're honest with yourself.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:50 am

Need to sort those set pieces out.

I can only guess it’s forwards v defenders practicing set pieces on the training ground because we’re poor delivering set pieces and terrible defending them. Probably doesn’t look so bad in training until we get on the pitch against another side.

We’re not getting blown away by teams, but this is the difference. Added to that is Bart’s form... I don’t know if he was blocked but he missed that cross for the second goal and was left flapping in no mans land. It’s a big call to make but Gerken must be feeling he’s getting closer to a recall. Just feels like the dreaded NewContractFormGoesToShit syndrome.

Not rising to Rossi’s bait (he hasn’t got Skuse to pick on ) :) ... Nsiala got to the ball well before Forestieri and cleanly got the ball. You can see by the direction of the ball he hooked it cleanly and wasn’t some reckless lunge. That didn’t help us for the last 15-20 mins, but still should not be an excuse for defending set pieces so badly.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:21 am

I must admit I am getting pretty damn fed up at traveling home from games with the firm belief that no way have got the reward our efforts deserve, it is happening time after time right now and is becoming ridiculous, I really don't want to hear you make your own luck cobblers. Again yesterday I felt we were very hard done by when it really mattered and another game that by and large we had control of and were looking like possibly winning turns into a devastating defeat thanks to a ridiculous Red card decision which robbed us of a vital defender and in my opinion led to us losing the game. What I will say is that even after Nsiala getting sent off we have to defend the set piece better, time after time we are getting caught out and this element of our game just has to stop and fast.

When word came through of the line up the feeling in the pub was one of positivity that at last we were going into a game with Two strikers on the pitch although it looked as though Jackson was going to be deployed wide Left, in reality we still played with only One up front which turned out to be Jackson with Harrison being used wide instead albeit in a bit more of a supportive role to the striker, Edun returned to the Midfield in place of Skuse.

This was another game that was to see Town start off in a positive manner, on the front foot and going forward, neat passing and good possession providing us with a couple of early half chances which were wildly off target, add to that a couple of half decent balls flashed in or across the box, a decent start with little by the way of end product. It was clear Tayo Edun was pleased to be back as everything he was doing was good and tidy. There had been absolutely nothing from Wednesday as an attacking force and yet once again with their first foray into our half we go behind and of course it is another set piece that is our undoing. A corner is swung in to the back post where Joao loses Chalobah all too easily and heads into the empty net, terrible defending from the Chelsea loanee, add to that once again I ask where is Bart ? No sign of a keeper looking to come off his line and offer the defence some help, OK it may not have been a clear routine cross for the goalie but nothing by way of trying to get to it, just feet rooted to the bloody goal line as per usual.

The goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of us for a few minutes and we came close to conceding again, this time the Sheff Wed players header just going the wrong side of the post following yet another free kick we fail to deal with. Town did regain their composure to get back on top and despite no real clear cut chances were getting into some half decent situations, Edun was having an excellent game and was really controlling the Midfield, winning tackles, tracking back and nicking the ball of attackers, picking his passes every time and generally getting us on the front foot, everything I thought Jon Nolan had been signed to do, Nolan was popping up here and there but not influencing the game in a really positive way, unlike Edun. Chalobah was having a bit of a mare, especially with his passing which is almost as bad as bart's distribution, add to that his part in the goal and it wasn't his best day so far. Harrison was actually doing well in his more withdrawn role, working hard and winning headers, chasing down everything and tracking back when needed too while at the back Nsiala & Chambers were doing well, the Fullbacks were being tested but standing up relatively well, more so Donacien who for me is a very solid defender.

With the game nearing half time Town deservedly got themselves level, this time it was our turn to send in a cross which wasn't dealt with by the Sheffield defence, a bit of head tennis saw the ball find it's way to Nsiala who powered home a lovely header with the keeper stranded, it really was no more than we deserved and it led to a sustained bit of pressure from which we nearly found ourselves ahead going into the break. Edun's delivery had been the one negative from his performance but moments before HT it got one spot on and from yet another Nsiala header we came within inches of grabbing the lead, this time however the ball was scrambled off the line and away to safety, so so close. There was still time for Harrison to go almost as close to putting us ahead as he took the ball down, cut in and fired low to the keepers left, unfortunately the keeper got down to it to divert it away. It was a really strong end to the half from Town who could and maybe should have been ahead, apart from their goal which was our own undoing they hadn't really troubled us much at all.

The second half kicked off with Town again going forward, only a weak acrobatic kick from Harrison to show for our efforts, Wednesday too had a half chance which was fired well wide of Bart's goal. Town had Knudsen to thank minutes later as it was our turn to clear one off the line, from the other end it looked to me that Bart had got down to it but it was indeed Jonas's good work that prevented us from going behind. I felt we were playing some good stuff at times but leaving ourselves at risk of being caught on the break, Nolan had come more into the game and was finding some neat passes as he attempted to unlock their defence. Kayden Jackson was always a willing worker and runs for everything but I think this is quite a step up for him and he had so far not had a clear sight of goal at any time, Chalobah for me was having his poorest game yet in a Town shirt, all too often he was alowing his man to ghost past him, add to that his iffy passing and error for their goal, it wasn't proving to be his best day. Edwards was barely in the game but when he got the ball he always looks to drive forward but we seemed to find it hard to work it to him.

Some good work from Harrison saw him win the ball deep in our half before bursting forward with a purposeful run before cutting inside, with a Town man in absolute acres of space his final ball let him down and it was cut out, surely it would have seen us clean through on goal but it was positive play from the young Striker. The games big decision came a few minutes later as incredibly Town for the second week running were reduced to ten men, this One really was a woefully bad decision from the ref. Nsiala clearly goes in for a tackle and wins the ball cleanly only to collide with Forestieri who had appeared as a sub minutes earlier, there looked nothing in it at all but incredibly the ref shows the CB the red, disbelief all around, it didn't even look like an issue, all replays I have seen fail to suggest the ref was right, you just cannot see anything that warrants a sending off, even Wednesday fans suggesting after the game that it looked harsh says it all. It was a massive blow and a big turning point. Of course as sure as eggs are eggs we are dealt the double whammy as from the same passage of play the free kick leads to a corner and they go ahead. A bit of a scramble sees the ball come back off the post where Joao is quickest to force home the rebound, this One pisses me off as far as Bart is concerned, flapping at the bloody thing again and not being a commanding figure at all, looks lost in these situations and he has cost us a goal in nearly every game this season. Yes we can blame the Red card all we like but we still have to stand tall and defend these bloody set pieces.

Not to be denied Town did give it a real go to find an unlikely equaliser and we so nearly did, a sublime ball from a Town player, I know not who, drops right on the money for Harrison who is bursting into the box, his touch to bring it down was class especially as he had Two defenders either isde of him closing him down but the damn thing just would not fall quickly enough for him to get his shot away, he was bound to score but a toe from a defender cleared the danger, it was a brilliant move that deserved a goal. Despite us being down to ten it was Wednesday hanging on and wanting the whistle, we had another half chance but it came to nothing.

This one is hard to take, it's so easy to look at the result and league table and believe we just aren't good enough but that really is not the case, we could and maybe should have won this game, they are poor and I would not swap our team for theirs, not a chance, clearly the red card turned the game and even if we appeal and win it changes nothing, we lost the game. I find it hard to believe a team that is trying to evolve from nothing can get so many tough decisions and things go against them, the Rotherham game where we dominated, The harsh Red against Villa, Two very unfortunate goals at Derby with a wicked deflection and a Free kick that never was and now this yesterday, a crazy Red card in a game we bossed for large spells, I get it is no good feeling sorry for ourselves but we can do without it right now. Despite the doom and gloom and our precarious league position we are still not being overrun in any game, I am often accused of being too positive, well I wasn't on the journey home trust me, that was as bad as I have felt all season and for the first time felt dejected, but looking at it I honestly feel we are Eight pints light from where our efforts and performances warrant so I am firmly still of the opinion we will be just fine, of course that first win is becoming ever more important now.

Bart...Another poor game from a man bang out of form, flapping at most things and just not at the races, needs to be dropped. (5)

Donacien...Solid if unspectacular, but gets the job done and is learning all the time. (6)

Nsiala.....Another really good effort, is already a key player for us, took his goal well and so close to a second, solid at the back, Red card a joke and will be badly missed. (7)

Chambers...Decent effort from the skipper, he cannot defend set pieces by himself and needs others to step up too, goals not down to him. (7)

Knudsen...Bit of a mixed bag, good clearance off the line and does get forward to offer support better than Donacien but trots back and watches the game around him, more urgency required (6)

Chalobah... Not his day, at fault for the first, poor passing a big problem and didn't impose himself like other games. (5)

Nolan...Improved as the game went on, can see he has quality but I think lacks in belief in himself, a good player in there just waiting to burst out. (6)

Edwards...We needed him on the ball more as always a threat and lively, loves to run at the defence but often doubled up on, will have better days. (6)

Edun...Another excellent effort and for me head and tail above everyone else, won every tackle and didn't waste a pass, set piece delivery needs work on but did supply a couple of good ones, already a big player for us, kept Bannen quiet for the most part. (8)

Harrison...Played in a more withdrawn role and for me his best game, ran all afternoon, won headers, tracked back well to cover Knudsen, got forward too and so close to a couple of goals, definite improvement. (7)

Jackson... His first League start was tough, defenders in this division are uncompromising and not as easy to bully, did little wrong and shows heart, like Harrison a goal will do him the world of good but an ok start. (6)

SUBS :-
Downes... Didn't get into the game in the little time he had (5)
Sears.... Game was all but over when he arrived but couple of touches were powder puff. (5)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 am

Thanks for the report, Mike. I feel your pain. :)

CAPTION:

“ Bart, here’s a mask to go with your flapping”

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 am

I am still very grumpy and licking my wounds. Rotherham we had possession and dominated but we wasn’t going to score if we played until midnight. Derby was completely depressing second half, we were as threatening to the Derby goal as a gay man is in a whore house. BUT I absolutely promise you yesterday was different. Until they scored we were all over them, and their goal was caused by Chalobah contemplating his next Twitter post rather than marking his man ( common theme for him). After than we had a ropey 10 minutes but once again bartered then. Second half was absolute cruise control until the red, there is absolutely no way we not have scored another goal and guaranteed a point or more likely a win. Even with 10 we were the better side, the possession stats were made false by their time wasting. We are a much better side than Sheff Wed and that result was a travesty. It wasn’t a red, he was completely in control of his body and got the ball an age before Forestieri ran in to him, the guy didn’t even receive treatment and even the Wednesday fans said it was harsh.

Drop Chalobah. Drop Knudsen. Drop Bart. Everyone else played well. Edun was different class and Harrison had a big impact on the game.

Hurst really does need to address this set piece weakness. We are woeful at defending them, yesterday Chalobah and Bart specifically.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:54 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 am

CAPTION:

Marco this one has to win....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:00 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:54 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 am

CAPTION:

Marco this one has to win....
That did make me chuckle and very apt right now.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:41 am

Looks like we will appeal the red, so hopefully Nsiala may start against scum

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:17 am

I bet the decision is upheld, then we lose him for longer, that is our season in a nutshell so far, every decision going against us.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:34 am

That’s my concern that it will be upheld. It’s happened before.

And this rule that if upheld, you then lose the player for 3 games is ludicrous.

It’s just sending the message out that referees don’t make mistakes ( they do) and don’t challenge the system or you’ll get punished further. It just breeds contempt for the FA and far from backing the referee it just feeds the injustice levelled against that referee. Got no problem if a referee genuinely makes an error of judgement in the heat of the moment... it happens for every club and it’s one for players, managers, fans to take on the chin.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:33 am

If the decision is going to be upheld then I hope that
we have looked at this carefully and have good reason to appeal.

If we do not then we are harming ourselves further and
we really do not want to do that..

:cry:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:41 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:17 am
I bet the decision is upheld, then we lose him for longer, that is our season in a nutshell so far, every decision going against us.

If that’s the case there has to be no appeal unless it’s a cast iron case. I’ve still not seen it so can’t comment but there are examples of successful appeals, we just have to make sure we’re on solid grounds. Surely Nsiala either played the ball or not, followed through or didn’t, went in with two feet or not with studs up or not, reckless or not.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:43 am

We've just watched the highlights again and for the first time and from a different angle you can maybe see why a Ref would give a yellow, but a Red is without question a joke. Even Dean Ashton, ex Norwich, says Nsiala was very unlucky to be sent off. No point in appealing as it won't be overturned.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:49 am

To be honest I think we’ve got to the stage where we’ve got to get street wise and get points on the board at any cost even if that means lining up not to lose rather that setting out to win (McCarthy style !). I know that goes against the grain for some but we can’t go on post match talking about how much better we were than the opposition but coming away with nothing, that’s complete naivety.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:43 am
We've just watched the highlights again and for the first time and from a different angle you can maybe see why a Ref would give a yellow, but a Red is without question a joke. Even Dean Ashton, ex Norwich, says Nsiala was very unlucky to be sent off. No point in appealing as it won't be overturned.
Dont know if you saw Liverpool Brighton highlights, a Brighton player does exactly the same but does not win the ball first and he only got a yellow. If I was Ipswich I would take that footage with me to the appeal. I would definitely appeal he clearly wins the ball it's only the momentum that takes him onto the Wednesday player.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:35 pm

I didnt see it no and that is what is so frustrating, there is no consistency at all.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:26 pm

I have now seen the Nsalia sending off offence and at normal speed it doesn’t look like a red card to me as he clearly plays the ball first, and that wasn’t even close. I’ve tried to slow it down but it’s not clear cut what the offence was, eg trailing foot or dangerous ? but what is interesting is in commentary the commentator thought it must have been a second yellow which wasn’t the case.

What reason did the referee give, has he made any comment to justify his decision ?

Bloody hell, how bad are we at defending corners, especially GK Bart who was caught flat footed for both goals and Chalobah who couldn’t be arsed to jump for the first. Both were shocking goals to concede.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:32 am

When you watch back highlights etc you see things that you maybe miss in real time, for instance the excellent run and flicked header by Harrison that set up the chance for Nsiala to almost score his second which was cleared off the line, great work by Harrison, he really did have a good game. As for the fantastic pass late in the game that almost got Harrison in to equalise , that was in fact by our skipper Chambo, what a fantastic ball, not that many will give him credit cus he shouldn't be playing, right ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:09 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:32 am
When you watch back highlights etc you see things that you maybe miss in real time, for instance the excellent run and flicked header by Harrison that set up the chance for Nsiala to almost score his second which was cleared off the line, great work by Harrison, he really did have a good game. As for the fantastic pass late in the game that almost got Harrison in to equalise , that was in fact by our skipper Chambo, what a fantastic ball, not that many will give him credit cus he shouldn't be playing, right ?
I’m going to have the look at those highlights again. I thought it was Edun who flicked that header on to Nsiala and Harrison was in an offside position. Actually I just did ... it was Edun that flicked it on ( they must have similar hairstyles :) ).

Bottom of the league.... but Hurst is turning Chambers into ball playing defender. If he can do that.... then he can turn this team around given time. :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:29 am

You are describing the goal he actually scored, I am talking about the one that was cleared off the line afterwards.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:36 am

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:44 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:29 am
You are describing the goal he actually scored, I am talking about the one that was cleared off the line afterwards.
Sorry Mike... you’re right. That was actually a decent ball in from Edun (probably the only one from set pieces). We were looking good at that stage. I thought Harrison worked hard and did OK, but he might want to watch his tackling. No disagreement with his yellow card and in reference to Nsiala’s red... that could have been a red with this ref.

I still can’t understand how professional footballers from set pieces can’t be more consistent with their delivery. Surely a practice memory muscle thing. We’re obviously not going to score from every set piece, but we didn’t make their defence or GK work for most of the set pieces.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:48 am

Have you noticed how we nearly ALWAYS over hit our dead ball delivery, to the point of it being bloody annoying, as you say can it really be that hard to get right and consistent ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:08 am

Might have something to do with the ball. Maybe lighter? Couldn’t believe the amount of times Chelsea were overhitting dead balls yesterday v Newcastle. And just ONE of their players is worth more than ITFC as a whole....., got to be the ball.

Start practicing with your lighter balls, chaps.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:24 pm

CaptionComp :Next week will bart come dressed aas a budgie

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:53 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:24 pm
Might make a more commanding figure at corners?!

As I keeper myself I'm often the first to jump to the defence of keepers, but he has to look at himself, he has to have the aggression and confidence to command his area, he's not young, not inexperienced and as a professional he can practice taking crossed for 8 hours a day if he has to.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:53 pm
BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:24 pm
Might make a more commanding figure at corners?!

As I keeper myself I'm often the first to jump to the defence of keepers, but he has to look at himself, he has to have the aggression and confidence to command his area, he's not young, not inexperienced and as a professional he can practice taking crossed for 8 hours a day if he has to.
So you agree he's been pretty poor this season Ricco ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Officially been announced we will appeal Toto’s red card.

Can’t help think the panel will do everything they can to justify a red. If they use the excuse it’s reckless then that’s horseshit... how would it be reckless and out of control if Nsiala gets to the ball first and cleanly clears the ball and the momentum takes him and Foriesti together? Players can’t stop automatically. Maybe they should put brake pads on their socks!!
That was a 60/40 ball in Nsialas favour .... any self-respecting footballer would do the same and clear the ball away. The one situation where it would be a red card is if Toto had gone through the ball and player with his leading foot, studs showing and no intention of clearing the ball. Hopefully, common sense prevails. I’m all for referees and the FA being tough on reckless, potentially leg breaking tackles, but this wasn’t one of them and it won’t serve the purpose of eradicating reckless challenges by this being upheld... it will just mean a grey area gets greyer.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Really surprised tbh, that's most likely another game we'll miss him for when the Red Card is upheld.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:06 pm
So you agree he's been pretty poor this season Ricco ?
Oh yes. I mean dealing with crosses has never bean a strong part of his game, but he's looked a right mess. It does take a while to build confidence and get in to a new season, but I guess that flap he had against Blackburn and subsequent errors have stopped that.

I can't really get my head around it, young keepers and keepers new at a club can have a crisis of confidence, but for an experienced, settled keeper, it's a bit of a shock really.