East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

This is the Biggie - Does form matter?

Good Guys Win
48%
Dark Side Wins
17%
Stalemate
35%

Total votes: 23

ashfordblue

Re: East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:03 pm

:D well the 25'900 + crowd today shows the old farm derby still attracts a good following, when BFJ was manager we used to get regular home gates of 25'000 +, the scum had 2000 fans, but at 23'900 that's still much better attendance, i watched it on the sky red button, :x what bloody awful quality picture, the first half display tells me why we are near the bottom of the league, very scrappy affair, i though if we keep playing like this we are relegation fodder for sure, BUT 2nd half what a turn around much better, i still hope we can bring in Collins of West Ham, we need some hard force in the centre half area, and also defend set pieces better, as they say when your down the only way is up, so lets all remain positive that by Christmas we will be more up the top end of the league.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:36 pm

I was surprised by how much hoof ball we played today. I thought we got a new manager to play a different style. When we pressed high at the beginning of the 2nd half we looked a lot better and scored But then we stopped doing it. Walters and Pennington were our best players. Still not impressed with Nolan.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:50 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:36 pm
I was surprised by how much hoof ball we played today. I thought we got a new manager to play a different style. When we pressed high at the beginning of the 2nd half we looked a lot better and scored But then we stopped doing it. Walters and Pennington were our best players. Still not impressed with Nolan.
First half was definitely a bit more physical and direct. I think this may be because we had a different midfield in there, in other games Cholobah has been one of the main ball players in the middle. However I think also it was becoming clear that they were doubling up on Edwards in first half, with Graham not getting in the game it meant we reverted to become a bit more direct. Yes we all want to play a certain style which is much better to watch but i think we all accept that at some stages there will be some horrible games to watch. The problem with the last regime is that almost every game was like that...

Walters also gives us a presence if we do play a bit more direct, he hasn't lost that nouce to hold the ball up or win headers. I kind of agree about Nolan, I thought he did OK second half but I am yet to see him play as id hoped he would. Maybe he just needs time and he will come good but out of all our signings hes the one that I am yet to be fully convinced by

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:15 pm

This could well be the perfect example of the gulf between Championship & League One for individual players. Nolan has played for Stockport County, Lincoln City, Wrexham, Grimsby Town, Chesterfield & Shrewsbury Town with a midfielder “games to goals” ratio of John Wark, so he’s a good player.......... BUT........ maybe the Championship is a step too far for him.
It’s only been a few games though so hopefully not and he starts progressing better.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:16 pm

That is what you get when you have a bigger man up front, it will always become more direct, it's playing to Walters strengths and as he was MOTM it kinda worked, as PH said sometimes we will change our approach depending on the opposition. For me though there is hoofball and there is hoofball, sending long weighted balls over the top and down the channels for Edwards, Jackson or Graham to run onto don't constitute aimless hoofballs in my eyes.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:29 pm
Happy with the performance today and well done PH for dropping Bart who has been woeful, Chalobah too needed a kick up the arse, I take back what i said about Walters, MOTM today and hats off to Pennington who I thought had a super game, WTF do Evertonians know.

Dominated second half and it was game over if Edwards effort had crept inside the post instead of outside, that would have been 2-0. Overall i thought we deserved it on the second half performance.
Watched the game on ifollow in Turkey. Totally agree and think both Walters and Pennington deserved the credits for MOTM..
In fairness though with such a changed team and a lot of newcomers I think we did a great job and would have won the
game with a bit more luck..

Its coming on...

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:48 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:39 pm
I thought Walters was our man of the match. What does it say about the rest of them if our best player is an injury prone soon to be 35 year old!

I'm finding it hard to keep a positive attitude. Hurst has brought in players that, to me, look like they will struggle at this level. He is tinkering with the team and there is no cohesion.

We're six games in and second bottom. How can we be positive about that? A lot of experienced people in the game warned us last year that we should be careful what we wished for in getting rid of McCarthy. Much as I hated the style of football he had us playing, we consistently outperformed the sum of our individual parts when he was in charge. Today our passing accuracy was 55%. It is increasingly clear we do not have the ability to deliver the type of football Hurst wants to play.

I'm not saying we revert to hoof ball but a more hard nosed approach is needed is we are to get ourselves out of this mess.
http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/certainly-n ... -1-5677561

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:24 am

25,690, allowing 2,500 Scum fans Town had 23,000. Why will 5,000 to 7,000 not attend the next home game? I know it can be expensive and all that, but 5 to 7,000 is a hell of drop. With MM gone I thought the mood amongst the fans would of lifted. I know we have not won a game, but I don't think any of the home games have been boring. :?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:28 am

I get really fed up with all these so-called pundits outside the football club repeating the “be careful what you wish for” theme.
None of them don’t care about the club ( in fact, many of them want us to fail) and they’re just blindly supporting Mick.

Mick’s a big character in the game and he always sticks up for the football fraternity and his mates. That’s decent and seemingly honest... but the flip side to that is he’s ensuring there’s plenty who cover his back in the tough times. The fans who keep on harking back to BCWYWF seem to forget the ever growing toxicity and apathy within the club that Mick was not able to extinguish, but, at times, he seemed to encourage.
It’s all right for pundits to keep on about Mick doing wonders on a shoestring and keeping us mid-table. They have no vested interest in the club and they seem more interested in Mick McCarthy’s reputation than anything else. It’s just lazy sound bites more than anything else. MM’s reputation and CV is way down my list of priorities.

PH’s honeymoon period is over, but I’ll give him big credit for having the balls to drop Bart in the biggest game to date. He’s obviously holding his nerve more than some fans.

He’s obviously not a genius manager and has made mistakes.... but what do you expect? If any of us got promotions or a new job, would we be perfect on the first day... or even two months in? I’m liking his intent to change things and if he’s got the balls to take risks then it’s more about him learning from his mistakes over time. Same with the inexperienced players... they’ll have to learn on the job. We’ve hardly picked up any points, but not one game have we been over run or played of the park. Something to work with... try and turn those draws into slender wins and the slender losses into draws. Did we really expect a new team to gel instantly and hit the deck running?
Walters return could be really significant... he tends to make the ball stick and brings in other players. Can’t help feel Jackson and Harrison will benefit from him.

If we’re a League 1 team playing in the Champinship ... so be it. Get used to it and get behind the team. I think we’ll stay up and Portman Road will become a more happier place to be. I’m actually enjoying it far more than last season and I’m caring a lot more.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:41 am

Walters was man of the match for me, always looked a threat acted as a good foil for others to play off without the ball being hoofed up to him all the time. Pennington had a solid game and looked very assured at this level.

I still think it's a bit early to judge Nolan, maybe we expected too much too soon from him?

Edwards got a bit more space and support second half, it was a good battle between him and their fullback. Graham on the other hand saw very little of the ball first half. What was the dive all about after a very clever corner? We don't need that at PR thats for sure!

My next thought is did the game change because of Skuse going off? Or was it just a half time rethink from PH. I have never been one to knock Skuse but feel he may only now be in the team for his experience.

My only concern is our forwards, Jackson for me did not look a threat at all. He seems to lack a bit of gile and know how at this level. He never really seemed like he knew how to get in behind and was easily marked all game. He did make a good run off the ball to make space for Edwards effort at 1-0. But that was about it for me.

On the way back to the car may 14 year old lad said to me it's a shame most of our best players are on loan.

But overall the team are clearly trying to play a different way, the mindset is different we are trying to get on the front foot and play. One of the posts earlier referred to our poor passing accrucy, well it's rare in Derby games for that to be high.

I think with Walters here the wins will now come. COYB!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:28 am
I get really fed up with all these so-called pundits outside the football club repeating the “be careful what you wish for” theme.
None of them don’t care about the club ( in fact, many of them want us to fail) and they’re just blindly supporting Mick.

Mick’s a big character in the game and he always sticks up for the football fraternity and his mates. That’s decent and seemingly honest... but the flip side to that is he’s ensuring there’s plenty who cover his back in the tough times. The fans who keep on harking back to BCWYWF seem to forget the ever growing toxicity and apathy within the club that Mick was not able to extinguish, but, at times, he seemed to encourage.
It’s all right for pundits to keep on about Mick doing wonders on a shoestring and keeping us mid-table. They have no vested interest in the club and they seem more interested in Mick McCarthy’s reputation than anything else. It’s just lazy sound bites more than anything else. MM’s reputation and CV is way down my list of priorities.

PH’s honeymoon period is over, but I’ll give him big credit for having the balls to drop Bart in the biggest game to date. He’s obviously holding his nerve more than some fans.

He’s obviously not a genius manager and has made mistakes.... but what do you expect? If any of us got promotions or a new job, would we be perfect on the first day... or even two months in? I’m liking his intent to change things and if he’s got the balls to take risks then it’s more about him learning from his mistakes over time. Same with the inexperienced players... they’ll have to learn on the job. We’ve hardly picked up any points, but not one game have we been over run or played of the park. Something to work with... try and turn those draws into slender wins and the slender losses into draws. Did we really expect a new team to gel instantly and hit the deck running?
Walters return could be really significant... he tends to make the ball stick and brings in other players. Can’t help feel Jackson and Harrison will benefit from him.

If we’re a League 1 team playing in the Champinship ... so be it. Get used to it and get behind the team. I think we’ll stay up and Portman Road will become a more happier place to be. I’m actually enjoying it far more than last season and I’m caring a lot more.
Amen to that mate.....word perfect.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:31 am

When I arrived at the ground Sunday I bumped into a fair few friends etc and there was a lot of talk among the fans that PH had spoken with Bart regarding his performances this season and that several goals could have been avoided and he should have done better, the rumours are that Bart took exception to the criticism and that a bit of a fall out ensued leading to Hurst dropping him. This would make sense to me because as much as I wanted Bart dropped I thought it was a massive call for such a big game, I doubt we will ever know the truth unless it comes out in the coming days but it would not surprise me one bit.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 am

Wouldn’t surprise me either; that’s the modern footballer. The days of Sir Eck & Sir Bob kicking arse and gaining respect from it are over.

IF TRUE, ..... and If you read the forum Bart........ STFU and get practicing some goalkeeping fundamentals so you can be worth your wages.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:22 am

Ando wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:41 am
Walters was man of the match for me, always looked a threat acted as a good foil for others to play off without the ball being hoofed up to him all the time. Pennington had a solid game and looked very assured at this level.

I still think it's a bit early to judge Nolan, maybe we expected too much too soon from him?

Edwards got a bit more space and support second half, it was a good battle between him and their fullback. Graham on the other hand saw very little of the ball first half. What was the dive all about after a very clever corner? We don't need that at PR thats for sure!

My next thought is did the game change because of Skuse going off? Or was it just a half time rethink from PH. I have never been one to knock Skuse but feel he may only now be in the team for his experience.

My only concern is our forwards, Jackson for me did not look a threat at all. He seems to lack a bit of gile and know how at this level. He never really seemed like he knew how to get in behind and was easily marked all game. He did make a good run off the ball to make space for Edwards effort at 1-0. But that was about it for me.

On the way back to the car may 14 year old lad said to me it's a shame most of our best players are on loan.

But overall the team are clearly trying to play a different way, the mindset is different we are trying to get on the front foot and play. One of the posts earlier referred to our poor passing accrucy, well it's rare in Derby games for that to be high.

In regards to your comments about Skuse... I think you could be right about him being in the team mostly because of his experience. I’m OK with him doing Skuse things like intercepting and putting his toe in to nick balls, but I think PH wants his midfielders to play further up the park as well. There was a moment around the 30th minute when Skuse had an opportunity to break from half way, then just stopped and surprised Edwards with a ball as if to say ‘my jobs done... up to you now’. If he had instinctively drove forward he could have drawn in defenders and created more space for other players. He’s not just used to playing in a more forward role. I’ll be interested to see where Huws would fit in if he gets fit and back to his best.
I actually preferred to see Skuse in place of Chalobah for the Derby game, but not sure we missed him in the second half. We pressed up much higher at the start of the second half and it’s a pity we allowed Norwich back in after the goal.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 am

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:22 am
Ando wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:41 am

In regards to your comments about Skuse... I think you could be right about him being in the team mostly because of his experience. I’m OK with him doing Skuse things like intercepting and putting his toe in to nick balls, but I think PH wants his midfielders to play further up the park as well. There was a moment around the 30th minute when Skuse had an opportunity to break from half way, then just stopped and surprised Edwards with a ball as if to say ‘my jobs done... up to you now’. If he had instinctively drove forward he could have drawn in defenders and created more space for other players. He’s not just used to playing in a more forward role. I’ll be interested to see where Huws would fit in if he gets fit and back to his best.
I actually preferred to see Skuse in place of Chalobah for the Derby game, but not sure we missed him in the second half. We pressed up much higher at the start of the second half and it’s a pity we allowed Norwich back in after the goal.
I tend to agree, Huws would appear to be the man for the job when he's fit. I think we will see him involved not long after the international break.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:43 am

If Chalobah is to oust Skuse going forward he needs to learn to pass to teammates, like you guys I think Huws is closing in on maybe ousting the pair of them.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:25 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 am
Wouldn’t surprise me either; that’s the modern footballer. The days of Sir Eck & Sir Bob kicking arse and gaining respect from it are over.

IF TRUE, ..... and If you read the forum Bart........ STFU and get practicing some goalkeeping fundamentals so you can be worth your wages.
We didn’t give Bart a new improved deal just as a gesture because of past good performances... we did it because we see him as one of the best players and what he can give us in the future. If he’s got the hump then he better get over it quick. He’s made plenty of mistakes this season and you can’t do that regularly as a GK. Manager’s don’t usually switch between keepers so Bart might find himself out of the team for a while.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:11 am

I hope Hurst and Bart haven't fallen out to be honest. But if Bart took exception to a bit of criticism then I don't get it, surely he's big enough to hold his hands up and admit he's made a few errors this season. Given how many times he's saved us I won't be putting too much on him but he has to accept that he's not immune from criticism, he's been given an awful lot of praise over last few years and rightly so.

Might all BS and there was no fall out though. We have to be a bit careful as you don't want to cause a rift with some experienced players, most of us back Hurst but he does need the players on side or we have no chance. There is a fine line I think

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Gerken had an OK game and made one decent reflex save. On the other hand, I can’t say he came for balls more than Bart. Lot of it has to do with quality of delivery... a GK can’t come for every ball and our opponents seem to be putting better quality balls into our box than we do. Opposition GK’s seem to be catching floaty, over-hit deliveries with ease.
I do think our defenders also seem second best with competing for balls at set pieces, and I’d include Chambers as well. Not just Chalobah or less experienced players. Too many clean, free headers we seem to put on a plate for our opponents.
I’d just love to see a GK who commands the area and maybe more use of the dark/grey arts with our defenders at set pieces because we seem a bit of a pushover there.

There’s a lot to improve, but I hope they focus on that in training. It’s the fine lines ... and I’m sure we’d have more than three points if we had sorted that out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:11 pm

There was 2 stand out things for me where Gerken was far better than Bart, first off every kick went down field and stayed in play, unlike Barts where every one goes out of play, there was also one excellent punch from Gerken who despite under intense pressure got such a good punch on it that it went out for a throw without even touching the pitch, had that been Bart it would have been a flap resulting in the ball almost certainly remaining in our box or worse. Let's not pretend Gerken wasnt much better cus for me he was.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:11 pm
There was 2 stand out things for me where Gerken was far better than Bart, first off every kick went down field and stayed in play, unlike Barts where every one goes out of play, there was also one excellent punch from Gerken who despite under intense pressure got such a good punch on it that it went out for a throw without even touching the pitch, had that been Bart it would have been a flap resulting in the ball almost certainly remaining in our box or worse. Let's not pretend Gerken wasnt much better cus for me he was.
That was a good punch actually even though I hate punching! Also I know some said Gerken made a hash with the one that hit his left hand but I was right behind that and there is absolutely no way he saw it until very late so I actually think he did well to keep that one out. I thought he did well considering how long it's been since he had some meaningful action in goal. Guess were lucky to have 2 decent keepers.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20 pm

I think we are lucky to have two decent keepers. I don't think Gerken is as bad as some people make out.

It is also pretty clear that Bart has lost form this season and I admire Hurst for having the guts to drop him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 am

Opinion alert on past Ipswich Town games and match reports........ Dean Gerken wasn’t very good at all. In fact he was a bit of a liability.
Bart lost his place due to mourning his father but fairly quickly won it back due to Gerken being a bit crap.

Now Bart is seriously out of form and that is very concerning. Hopefully the lengthy absence for Gerken has made him a better keeper but if not...... then ITFC don’t have any “decent” keepers at this moment in time. That could potentially be worrying.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:57 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 am
Opinion alert on past Ipswich Town games and match reports........ Dean Gerken wasn’t very good at all. In fact he was a bit of a liability.
Bart lost his place due to mourning his father but fairly quickly won it back due to Gerken being a bit crap.

Now Bart is seriously out of form and that is very concerning. Hopefully the lengthy absence for Gerken has made him a better keeper but if not...... then ITFC don’t have any “decent” keepers at this moment in time. That could potentially be worrying.
I would agree that Bart is the better keeper but I have never felt Gerken is a liability. There has been games where he has made silly errors, but that aside hes always seemed fairly solid and reliable to me. I think Bart will be back in goal before long but I think we have to play Gerken against Hull as he didn't do anything wrong against Norwich

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:37 am

I think Gerken must keep his place. Done nothing wrong and would send out the wrong message if Bart was re-instated.

It must be tough being a GK... knowing that you don’t have many opportunities to get in the team and when you do get there, you’ve got to be pretty much error-free.

Bart isn’t going to like it one bit being on the bench and if he can’t get back in .... can see we’ll part company in January.

It feels like the curse of the new, improved extended contract. There would have been uproar if we’d let Bart leave, but now we’ve got maybe our highest paid player on the bench.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 am

Are you saying we could be in a bit of a pickle? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Let's not forget, last time Gerken played he was behind a even worse defence than we have now, by some margin too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:35 pm
Let's not forget, last time Gerken played he was behind a even worse defence than we have now, by some margin too.
I can’t remember the defence he was behind... I would have a guess at Chambers, Smith, Berra and Cresswell/Mings. In Nsiala and Donacien we have players stepping up so they’re still adapting ... not sure if our defence of today is much more stronger than a few years back.

Could be that the competition for the GK’s jersey could be a good thing and we get both GK’s raising their game OR we’re stuck with two error prone GK’s. Too early to tell.

I really think Barts pulled off some world class saves and kept us in games in the past, but I’d back Gerken for the moment as after being back up for so long he deserves his chance. I’m hoping this thing with Hurst is that he’s just setting standards and making that clear, because Bart’s been shaky to say the least.

Personally, mid to long term I’d like to see Bart back in goal, but if Gerken takes his chance and we’re more solid at the back, then i can’t see how any manager would drop him.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:54 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:05 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:35 pm
I can’t remember the defence he was behind... I would have a guess at Chambers, Smith, Berra and Cresswell/Mings. In Nsiala and Donacien we have players stepping up so they’re still adapting ... not sure if our defence of today is much more stronger than a few years back.

Could be that the competition for the GK’s jersey could be a good thing and we get both GK’s raising their game OR we’re stuck with two error prone GK’s. Too early to tell.

I really think Barts pulled off some world class saves and kept us in games in the past, but I’d back Gerken for the moment as after being back up for so long he deserves his chance. I’m hoping this thing with Hurst is that he’s just setting standards and making that clear, because Bart’s been shaky to say the least.

Personally, mid to long term I’d like to see Bart back in goal, but if Gerken takes his chance and we’re more solid at the back, then i can’t see how any manager would drop him.
We will only be solid at the back once the defence is up and running which i dont think will be long. To have gerkin in goal over bart would be totally wrong. Look what happend last time gerkin got in due to barts father passing, town dropped away from what might have been a promotion

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:01 pm

You have to play players on form not reputation, I cannot remember the last time Bart had a good game, certainly not this season, yes he does what he does with the cracking saves from time to time but the woeful errors all go unnoticed and always have. Nothing against the guy but so very overrated, hopefully the kick up the arse will have the desired effect because as soon as Gerken makes a solitary error the world will be speaking about it, especially in these parts.