Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

1st Win of the Season?

Hull City Win
25%
Ipswich Town Win
50%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 am

Image Hull City AFC v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 15th September 2018 – 15:00

KCOM Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Honours Even

It seems an eternity since the latest East Anglian Derby ended all square yet again, on the day not many would argue that a draw was probably a fair result although I am in the camp that thinks if anyone deserved to nick the win it was most definitely ourselves, an even and at times scrappy first half saw both teams hit the woodwork although I think it is fair to say the effort from Jon Walters looked far more threatening than that of Teemu Pukki's which Dean Gerken had well covered. The second half was a different story with Town bossing it for long spells, a Twenty minute spell directly after half time saw Norwich pinned back and hanging on as Town took the game to them and but for some better finishing could well have seen us at least Two goals ahead, alas it wasn't to be and our inability to kill teams off came back to haunt us yet again.

Two things in particular stood out for me, first off the debut performances of Jon Walters & Matt Pennington, both arrived only a day or two before the biggest game of the season, One with glowing references and cult figure status among Town fans already, the other with nothing but negative comments from Everton & Leeds fans alike and with Town fans wondering "what is the point of this signing" Thankfully that question was answered and some as both put in superb debuts and for me certainly they were the best Two players on the pitch, it augers well for us that we have another CB to put pressure on Chambo & Toto as the season progresses. The second thing that stood out for me was the unbelievable support and backing the team got from the terraces and while it frustrates me to a degree that a large percentage of these fans won't be seen again for some time nobody can fault the support and atmosphere that they helped to create, a couple of "casuals" that I work with came up to me Monday and said they could not believe the noise levels, it really was deafening at times and made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, if only they could be enticed back more often.

It Just had To Happen

I've been saying for some time how disappointed and frustrated I, and many others have been, at Bart's lacklustre performances in recent times, there hasn't been a single game this season where he has not been at fault for a goal and the unthinkable which had been coming actually happened in our biggest game of the season with the big man dropped to the bench and Dean Gerken trusted with the gloves. If anybody had any doubts about Paul Hurst being brave enough to make big decisions they certainly know now, it was a massive call and one which I applaud him for, it could have gone belly up and both Hurst & Gerks would no doubt have been ripped apart should that have happened, as it was Deano did little wrong and had no chance with the one that did beat him, his kicking and punching is way superior to Bart's while he also pulled off a couple of decent saves when called upon, it is his place to lose now surely but how good is it to have two competent keepers battling for the slot in the team.

Whether the rumours of a fall out between manager & Bart are true remains to be seen but I think it would be very poor from Bart if he has spat his dummy out of the pram because of some criticism about performance levels, players should be made aware and clearly it wasn't done in public unlike Chalobah's error at Sheff Wed and I haven't seen that young man crying about it, quite the opposite in fact, he came out and said the gaffer was correct to criticise but as I say we do not even know yet if anything actually did happen, time will tell I guess.

Is This The One?

As happy as I am with the way things are taking shape there is little doubt we need that elusive win to get our season really up and running, the cynics among us will always point to the fact we are second bottom and winless and of course that is fact, what is also fact is that it is a mere Six games in and nothing is won or lost in August, I also believe it to be fact that our performances should have yielded far more than Three points, my feelings are that we should be at least on Nine points minimum but of course we aren't, end of. We have to tighten up at set pieces and we also need to be more ruthless in the oppositions box, I was amazed to read one stat in the week and that is we have conceded the least efforts on target on our goal than any other team in the Championship which confirms Chambo's comments that teams are not opening us up in open play.

So it's Hull City next, another team who have had a tough start to the new campaign, they currently sit Fourth bottom with One point more than ourselves so already it is a pretty big game, the Tigers are finding life tough at home right now and have lost all Three of their opening home fixtures to Villa, Blackburn & Derby respectively although they did manage a win at Rotherham, something we failed to do ! On paper they don't look particularly strong and I think it is a season of struggle ahead although they have just strengthened the squad with the season long loan signings of Tommy Elphick & Chris Martin. Clearly we would love a win and while I can see Town coming home with something the draw does look the more likely outcome. This is the One and only game I plan to miss this season as I have the small matter of my sons (AylesburyBlue) wedding on this day, what a fantastic day it would be, seeing my son getting married and Town bringing him home the points, now that would be something. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Hull City

Hull City Association Football Club was founded in June 1904, previous attempts to found a football club had proved difficult because of the dominance in the city of rugby league. teams such as Hull F.C. and Hull Kingston Rovers. These early matches were played at the Boulevard, the home of Hull F.C. After disputes with landlords at the Boulevard, Hull City moved to Anlaby Road Cricket Ground. Hull City were admitted into the Football League Second Division for the 1905–06 season. and finished the season in fifth place.

Hull City and Grimsby Town were the only two professional teams which had official permission to play league football on Christmas Day because of the demands of the fish trade. That tradition has now disappeared following the dramatic reduction of their trawler fleets in recent years. The following season a new ground was built for Hull City across the road from the cricket ground. Hull continued to finish consistently in the top half of the table. They came close to promotion in the 1909–10 season, recording what would be their highest finish until they matched it in 2008. Hull regularly finished in the top half of the table before the First World War, but after the war the team finished in the bottom half in seven seasons out of eleven, culminating in relegation to the Third Division North in 1930.

Hull's greatest achievement in cup competitions until 2014 was in 1930, when they reached the FA Cup semi-finals.

After the Second World War, the club moved to another new ground, Boothferry Park. In the 1948–49 season, Hull won the Third Division North championship. "Yo-yoing" between the second and third tiers of English football, Hull City had promotion seasons from the Third to the Second Division again in 1959 and 1966, winning the Third Division in the latter.

By the early 1980s, Hull City were in the Fourth Division, and financial collapse led to receivership.

Don Robinson took over as chairman and appointed Colin Appleton as the new manager. Promotion to Division Three followed in 1983.

Hull reached the Second Division in 1985. They remained there for the next six years before finally going down in 1991. Hull finished 14th in the Third Division in the 1991–92 season, meaning that they would be competing in the new Second Division the following season.

In their first season in the rebranded division, Hull narrowly avoided another relegation, but over the next two seasons they achieved mid-table finishes. Financial difficulties hampered City's progress, as key players had to be sold to fend off winding-up orders. In the 1995–96 season Hull were relegated to the Third Division.

In 1997 the club was purchased by former tennis player David Lloyd. Hull's league form was steadily deteriorating to the point that relegation to the Football Conference was looking a real possibility. Lloyd sold the club in November 1998 to a South Yorkshire based consortium, but retained ownership of Boothferry Park.

Despite briefly being locked out of Boothferry Park by bailiffs and facing the possibility of liquidation, Hull qualified for the Third Division play-offs in the 2000–01 season. A boardroom takeover by former Leeds United commercial director Adam Pearson had eased the club's precarious financial situation and all fears of closure were banished as he ploughed funds into the club.

Hull relocated to the new 25,400-seater KC Stadium after 56 years at Boothferry Park.

Hull were Third Division runners-up in 2003–04 and League One runners-up in 2004–05; these back-to-back promotions took them into the Championship. The 2005–06 season, the club's first back in the second tier, saw Hull finish in 18th place and their highest league finish for 16 years.

Adam Pearson sold the club to a consortium led by Paul Duffen in June 2007, stating that he "had taken the club as far as I could", in order to attract "really significant finance into the club". Under Paul Duffen and manager Phil Brown, Hull City improved greatly on their relegation battle of 2006–07 and qualified for the play-offs after finishing the season in third place. They beat Watford 6–1 on aggregate in the semi-finals and played Bristol City in the Final on 24 May 2008, which Hull won 1–0 at Wembley Stadium. Their ascent from the bottom division of the Football League to the top division of English football in just five seasons is the third-fastest ever.

Despite being one of the favourites for relegation in the 2008–09 season, Hull had only one defeat in their opening nine gamesand found themselves (temporarily) joint-top of the Premier League table on points (third on goal difference — ten years previously, they had been bottom of the fourth tier of English football.

Hull's form never replicated the highs of the early autumn, with the team winning only two more games over the remainder of the season, but secured their top-flight status on the last day of the season due to other results.

On 29 October 2009, chairman Paul Duffen resigned his position with the club, and was replaced by former chairman Adam Pearson. On 15 March 2010, manager Phil Brown was put on gardening leave after a run of four defeats left Hull in the relegation zone. Brown's replacement was former Crystal Palace and Charlton boss Iain Dowie, and the appointment was met with some disbelief by supporters who were hoping for a "bigger name" replacement. Hull City's relegation from the Premier League was confirmed on 3 May 2010

A reported block on player transfers into the club, set in place by the Hull City board on 28 July 2010 until transfers out would substantially reduce the £39 million-per-year wage bill, at first cast doubt on the new manager's (Nigel Pearson) efforts to build a squad capable of a quick return to the Premier League. The team set a new club record on 12 March 2011 with 14 away matches unbeaten, breaking a previous record held for over 50 years.

On 15 November 2011, Nigel Pearson left the club to return to Leicester. Nick Barmby was appointed as his successor, but was sacked in May 2012 after publicly criticising the club's owners in an interview given to a local newspaper. In the same month, the club's consultancy agreement with Adam Pearson was terminated.

On 8 June 2012, Steve Bruce was appointed manager of the club on a three-year deal, and he guided Hull back to the Premier League on the final day of the season.

On 13 April 2014, the club reached its first FA Cup Final . Their place in the 2014-15 Europa League, regardless of whether they won the 2013-14 FA Cup, was confirmed on 3 May as Everton's failure to win meant that Hull's FA Cup Final opponents Arsenal would compete in the 2014-15 UEFA Champions League.

On 31 July 2014, Hull made their debut in European competition, in the UEFA Europa League third qualifying round, with a 2-1 aggregate win over Slovakian side FK AS Trenčín. An away goals aggregate loss against Belgian outfit Lokeren marked the end of Hull's first foray into European football.

In March 2015 Steve Bruce signed a further three-year deal with the club. Hull were relegated from the Premier League after the 2014-15 season, finishing eighteenth with 35 points.

Via the playoffs Hull returned to the Premier League at the end of the 2015/16 season.

On 22 July 2016, Bruce resigned from his position. Mike Phelan became Hull's permanent head coach. On 3 January 2017, Phelan was sacked by Hull City, less than three months after being made permanent.

On 5 January 2017, the club announced the appointment of Marco Silva as the new head coach until the end of the 2016–17 season. On 25 May 2017, following relegation from the Premier League, Silva resigned and the club announced the appointment of Leonid Slutsky as head coach.

On 3 December 2017, Slutsky left the club by mutual consent after a run of bad results. On 7 December 2017, Nigel Adkins was appointed as head coach on an 18-month contract.

Last season Hull finished in 18th place with 49 points.

The Manager – Nigel Adkins

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

[youtube] [/youtube]

Media Watch - K L Blue

Form Guide

Hull City Last 5 Matches place points

11 Aug Sheffield Wednesday 1 – 1 Hull City

18 Aug Hull City 0 – 1 Blackburn Rovers

21 Aug Rotherham United 2 – 3 Hull City

25 Aug Stoke City 2 – 0 Hull City

01 Sep Hull City 1 – 2 Derby County

Ipswich Last 5 Matches place points

11 Aug Rotherham 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

18 Aug Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Aston Villa

21 Aug Derby County 2 – 0 Ipswich Town

25 Aug Sheffield Wednesday 2 – 1 Ipswich Town

02 Sep Ipswich Town 1 – 1 Norwich City

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Extremely busy September so far but will definitely have Norwich & Hull Don Cup results next week. Apologies.

Here’s Jimmy:

Match Referee – Tony Harrington

HULL CITY AFC 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

nicscreamer

Re: Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:09 am

Great preview as always! This is it, this time I know its the real thing, im on my way, taking control...…. 2-1 to Town! You heard it here first

Caption - Ok lads, last one to stand up gets this bogie on their face! 1,2,3, GO...…….

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 am

Hull 1 : ITFC 2

Caption:
“Now who wants to play Dirty Sanchez”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:45 am

Let's hope you are right Nic and this is the one, the longer it goes without a win the harder it gets and with Two home games next week we could really propel ourselves up the table.

CAPTION.... Guy in gloves to Barmby..."Let's play pretend Russian roulette, I'm gonna blow your brains out" Jimmy Bullard..You will never believe it but that happened to me once but I do have One brain cell left !!"

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:00 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:45 am
Let's hope you are right Nic and this is the one, the longer it goes without a win the harder it gets and with Two home games next week we could really propel ourselves up the table.

CAPTION.... Guy in gloves to Barmby..."Let's play pretend Russian roulette, I'm gonna blow your brains out" Jimmy Bullard..You will never believe it but that happened to me once but I do have One brain cell left !!"

Its this week, i can feel it in my 50 year old bowel...... either a win or its that curry from last night about to evacuate....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:39 am

You better get yourself Vindaloo quick, just in case.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Can't see us getting a win here Ipswich lose 2-0

Caption Listen boys about my Ipswich stint Now here's a little story to tell it is a must about this unsung hero who got drunk and was a bust

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Caption Comp: Look he never got a hand on that penalty I AM TELLING YOU.!

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Caption

I'm tell you guys, this is bloody mummy finger!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:30 pm

First win coming up......... honestly its coming, j7st not sure when! Only kiddin, ipswich 4-1 win.

Caption comp.

After record number of winners, Jimmy bullard was never again invited to be in the spot the ball competition photo.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Caption Comp : 1234567 keep still I have lost count 1234567 sh*t 1234567 Crap 1234567
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ji ... &FORM=VIRE

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:02 am

I think we have a chance to win this one, although head says draw. For me based on last weeks performances (and U23 performances) I would take Graham out of the starting 11 for the moment (I think he needs to get some fitness up) and play Danny Rowe who has looked impressive. Im not sure PH will do this though, would be more likely to put Edun back in. Or maybe he will persevere with Graham and hope he finds his feet and fitness whilst playing.

Whichever team we put out we need to try and get a clean sheet, this will then at least give us a chance!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:49 am

Rowe didn’t play for the under 23’s this week. Wonder if that’s due to him being involved with the first team squad. I think he’s a deserved a chance at left wing. Mind you Huws wasn’t involved too for the u-23’s but that doesn’t mean anything with him.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Caption : Nick Barby decides to leave when Jimmy Bulllard starts to tell his story of his time in I'm a celebrity get me out of here for the umpteenth time.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Another draw I think.

Caption; f..k you lot I'm off to Ipswich

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:15 am

Caption:

"Guys'............... I am sure we are doing this 'Park the Bus' tactic all wrong"

or

"There was this one time at Band Camp .......................... "

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Hull 0 - Ipswich 0

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Hull City 0 - Ipswich Town 2

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Hull City 1 v 1 ITFC

Caption: "So I said just one more pint mate, and the rest is history."

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Believe the team's record there is sub-standard with no victory in some considerable years. Voted for an away team win, maybe we can score three to take back. The team has to come together sooner or later and this would appear as good a place to begin as any other.

On the other hand if it all turns to sh*t once again and the winless streak continues then we got problems on our hands. People won't subscribe to the idea or acceptance it's only a 'glitch' or 'merely a temporary setback' : you need to address there's problems here and something evidently isn't working.

Sure it won't come to that but many won't tolerate another setback and losing further progress as the season continues to get underway.

Hull 1 Ipswich 3

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Caption Comp: Barmby YOU left the floater in toilet on team Bus...own up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:38 pm

I’m hoping Hurst will line up again at 4-4-2, but have a feeling he’ll go 4-1-4-1 or whatever ( one up top).
I’d like to see Rowe given a chance in the troublesome left wing position and think Graham needs to drop out of the squad to allow Donacien a chance again at RB. I’d go with this team

...................Gerken..................
Donacien..... Pennington... Chambers ..... Knudsen

Edwards...... Chalobah.... Nolan....... Rowe

............Walters ..... Jackson.......

Subs: BART
Skuse
Edun
Spence
Harrison
Downes

Can see Skuse in the line up and maybe Jackson dropping out to go with one striker up front (Walters).

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:02 pm

We desperately need some consistency with the starting line up which hopefully won’t include too many changes from the team that started against Norwich. So far Paul Hurst has used 24 different players in just 6 games, that’s more than any other team in the Championship and in my opinion this will have had an impact on our poor start.

—————————Gerken———-

Spence or Donacien —Pennington—Chambers—-Knudsen

——-Edwards ——Graham ——Chalobah—-Edun

————Walters ——-Jackson——-

Prediction 1-1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Excellent preview. Poem alert....... the part about Bart ——-> was in total agreement with him being dropped. Even if it ended 4-1 Norwich. Bailkowski needed dropped. Hats off to Hurst for that and hopefully Bart has been training hard to win his No1 spot back.

Can’t see ITFC winning at shitty 4th Division Hull today. 2-0. Hopefully wrong but I fear a difficult day with the football with Killie arriving at Easter Road. An Ipswich / Hibs double would be a risky bet.

Ref caption:
Player: What the hell are you doing ref? Looks creepy
Ref: I’m speaking to the 4th official. They put the button for it in my pants for some reason.

The opposition caption:
Main guy, arms out in pic.
U2
“IN THE NAME...... OF HULL”

Nigel Atkins caption:
Motty speaking:
“So, Nigel. Can you smile yet after gaining double promotions for Southampton and then being canned? Can you think back and smile about that yet? Nigel? NIGEL?”

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Today’s Line Up; (Only one change from our last match with Downes replacing Jackson)

Ipswich

1Gerken
12Spence
5Pennington
4Chambers
3Knudsen
7Edwards
8Skuse
21Downes
14Graham
11Nolan
39Walters

Substitutes
6Chalobah
9Jackson
10Harrison
17Rowe
18Ward
25Edun
33Bialkowski

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Walters is the loan striker, Skuse is back and Rowe on the bench . Not sure how thy will set up 2 holding midfielders with Downes . 4-2-3-1 I suppose. :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Holy Shyte. Hurst is definitely scrambling about for a winning formula.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Looks like Donacien is taking the wrap for his own residency issues.

Surprised that Downes has got the nod over Chalobah. Back to one up top.

I hope Graham improves from his debut. Not impressed with his debut and I think he’s keeping better players out. We’ll see... only had one game so far.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:44 pm

I do feel a bit sorry for Donacien as I felt he had been one of the better players in the games I have seen, not done too much wrong.

Also quite surprised Downes is ahead of Chalobah but not unhappy, we have got 3 games in 7 days I think Hurst will be using the squad. Whatever team we have out today we just have to trust that Hurst picks the ride players to grab the 3 points